HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

More outdoor games...Queens NY tennis stadium could become outdoor rink

Old
11-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

vCash: 500
More outdoor games...Queens NY tennis stadium could become outdoor rink

More news from around the net (pun intended). It appears that a tennis stadium in Queens could refurbished into an outdoor rink that could host AHL games.

Quote:
Top NHL prospects may skate in outdoor games in Queens if plans go through to transform a tennis stadium that hosted the U.S. Open into an ice skating rink, the Daily News has learned.

A hockey executive who runs the sport’s top minor league said he could envision games at West Side Stadium in Forest Hills.

David Andrews of the American Hockey League said he would allow the minor league affiliates of the Rangers, Islanders and Devils to play there.

“I can’t see a reason why we wouldn’t,” Andrews said in an exclusive interview with the News.

A nonprofit group has proposed leasing the dilapidated stadium, which hosted the U.S. Open from 1923 to 1977, in part for occasional minor league hockey games.

Andrews’s comments lend credibility to the alliance’s argument that it could generate winter revenue at the stadium with sporadic minor league hockey games.

Andrews said outdoor AHL games require venues with at least 5,000 seats to turn a profit. The alliance’s plan calls for about 7,600 seats for hockey.

Link
OK, that's fine, but I get worried when it says, "sporadic minor league hockey games." That would seem to be 'games' plural. How many of these things can you do during one season before it gets old? I think the AHL might be milking this outdoor thing just a tad too often.

11-21-2011, 06:11 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

The outdoor thing has become a joke. It was a cute one time thing but move on...

Also unless you really and i mean REALLY care about your "Prospects" I can't see the people in that area flocking to see a team from Hartford, Bridgeport or pft, Albany.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 06:44 AM
Symon Asher

I would check it out. Stadium is close to NYC subways and the Long Island Railroad . Jimi Hendrix and the Monkees performed there in the sixties.

Symon Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 05:00 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
The outdoor thing has become a joke. It was a cute one time thing but move on...

Also unless you really and i mean REALLY care about your "Prospects" I can't see the people in that area flocking to see a team from Hartford, Bridgeport or pft, Albany.
Crap, crap, crap all over everything.

GarbageGoal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 05:34 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
Crap, crap, crap all over everything.
Prefer the term realistic as a minor league sports fan.

People in that area aren't gunna care about a game involving minor league squads.

Old
11-28-2011, 05:57 PM
adsfan

I rarely agree with GMR. This tennis to hockey NYC stadium makes little sense to me. I also think that Majik1987 is correct. I have to go outside now and make sure that there are no fish hanging from my trees!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 06:36 PM
RFA

Sounds like fun to me. 5,000 seems low to make a profit, teams playing inside seem to have trouble making a profit with crowds like that.

RFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 06:44 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFA View Post
Sounds like fun to me. 5,000 seems low to make a profit, teams playing inside seem to have trouble making a profit with crowds like that.
It's all about the lease. Can't imagine how much this game is going to cost, I mean i'm sure building the rink sn't cheap but thats about all out of the ordinary for this game to pay for. I'm sure the tennis Court isn't gunna ask for a big rent fee being the place isn't used in the winter, i think those in control know they should be thankful for the little penny they are even recieving that they otherwise wouldn't this time of the year.