HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Radek Faksa - Sudbury Wolves, OHL (2012, 13th overall, Dallas)

Old
04-24-2012, 11:25 AM
PenguinTommy

vCash: 500
Would be great fit to Ducks. 2nd line big center, playing with Ryan in the future.

PenguinTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 12:35 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I can see the leafs taking him at 5th overall

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I can see the leafs taking him at 5th overall
There will be numerous highly ranked players still on the board at #5. I don't see Toronto making taking the chance and reaching for Faksa.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 01:01 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
There will be numerous highly ranked players still on the board at #5. I don't see Toronto making taking the chance and reaching for Faksa.
Everyone's list is different. Leafs might not think he's a reach at 5.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 01:28 PM
wings5

I don't remember the last time the Czechs produced a superstar or even an allstar player. Wouldn't risk it at 5. Frolik was supposed to be potential 1st liner now he sits in the press box when healthy in the playoffs. Best has been Voracek who is only 40-50 pt player, where a player drafted in his position should be 60-80 pt player. He is still young but still.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 01:34 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
I don't remember the last time the Czechs produced a superstar or even an allstar player. Wouldn't risk it at 5. Frolik was supposed to be potential 1st liner now he sits in the press box when healthy in the playoffs. Best has been Voracek who is only 40-50 pt player, where a player drafted in his position should be 60-80 pt player. He is still young but still.
Prior to Kopitar being drafted, I don't think Slovenia had ever produced an allstar NHL player. Your logic is not a good way to determine whether or not to draft a given individual.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 03:01 PM
boredmale

Carolina is a perfect fit since they draft Kitchener Rangers guys(and oh yeah they also could use forwards more then defense)

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2012, 04:46 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Prior to Kopitar being drafted, I don't think Slovenia had ever produced an allstar NHL player. Your logic is not a good way to determine whether or not to draft a given individual.
Kopitar is a one in a million player from Slovenia, best player from that country but he was developed in Sweden. Rare exception to the norm as Slovenia rarely produces NHL talent.

Old
04-25-2012, 06:00 AM
zorz

Quote:
Kopitar is a one in a million player from Slovenia, best player from that country but he was developed in Sweden. Rare exception to the norm as Slovenia rarely produces NHL talent.
Kopitar came to Sweden just before his draft year (04/05 season).

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:35 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Man I'd say every player after 1 to maybe about 15 is in a similar talent region, all with atleast some question marks. I can easily see teams taking Faksa/Teravainen/Maata etc higher than people think, the talent gap in this area is not large at all again relative to question marks

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 07:52 AM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
Kopitar came to Sweden just before his draft year (04/05 season).
It was still an important years in his development to come over to a strong league like the SEL. But yes he was an exceptional rare talent from that country. Anyways, player development in the Czech isn't what it used to be, I don't doubt at all his potential to get to the NHL I just don't think he will be a high impact player. Maybe he can prove me wrong.

Old
04-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Krejci and Fleishmann are pretty good.

Kind of ridiculous to write off a whole nationality as well. Judge players individually.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 11:51 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I think Faksa would be a great fit in Carolina. I could see them going for him at #8.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Rumcajs

Quote:

Milan Michalek panned out (35 goals this year). I wouldn't write the Czech Republic off but i do question Czech prospects playing in the Extraliga.

Radek Faksa seems safe but i wouldnt draft him at 5. Perhaps 9-15.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:02 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

IMO, Carolina will take either him or Teravainen at #8.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 05:51 PM
wings5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Krejci and Fleishmann are pretty good.

Kind of ridiculous to write off a whole nationality as well. Judge players individually.
I'm not writing them off I'm saying based on their player development model which has just recently been adjusted to give players more games and international experiance they just havn't been producing many IMPACT NHL players. Even when you look at the past decade much worse the past 5 years. But the fact that the last players you named to make an impact came from 2004 draft and the other one who just recently had a breakout season at 28 ads to my point. Simply comes down to development same could have been said about the Swedes and Finns a few years ago. Sure Tukonen, Nokelainen, and Korpikoski looked great in their draft years as future stars, but I think developmental trends have to factor in somewhat. 5 is simply too high.

Old
04-25-2012, 06:00 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
IMO, Carolina will take either him or Teravainen at #8.
I think you're bang on.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Rexor

Quote:
Voráček has been very good and is underrated. How many players drafted in 2007 have scored more NHL points than him so far? Kane, Gagner... anyone else?

Rexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 08:52 AM
zorz

Quote:
I'm not writing them off I'm saying based on their player development model which has just recently been adjusted to give players more games and international experiance they just havn't been producing many IMPACT NHL players. Even when you look at the past decade much worse the past 5 years. But the fact that the last players you named to make an impact came from 2004 draft and the other one who just recently had a breakout season at 28 ads to my point. Simply comes down to development same could have been said about the Swedes and Finns a few years ago. Sure Tukonen, Nokelainen, and Korpikoski looked great in their draft years as future stars, but I think developmental trends have to factor in somewhat. 5 is simply too high.
You're right here of course. I also don't expect Faksa to go 5th, I was just pointing out that Kopitar was not really developed in Sweden despite of the fact that pre-draft year in Sweden was definitely great for him.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Bob Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Carolina is a perfect fit since they draft Kitchener Rangers guys(and oh yeah they also could use forwards more then defense)
This.

I think that's where he'll go. Although it seems like this draft is a lot more wide open after #1 than usual.

Bob Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2012, 11:08 PM
islandermaniac

where was this guy in the playoffs? yuck! people talk about grigorenko's disappearing act! this guy was a dog.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 05:50 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
where was this guy in the playoffs? yuck! people talk about grigorenko's disappearing act! this guy was a dog.
Spott was on local radio talking about some of the players who were playing at less than 100%. It seems that Faksa was hit with a bunch of issues. He had a bad wrist, was sick and had another injury that Spott did not specify. All of this seems to be in addition to the concussion he suffered earlier in the playoffs.

I am not sure the duration of any of these issues but it seems clear that Spott felt he was far from 100%.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Thundermare

With the WJC Flu, one might wonder is it just bad luck… or does he just fail to show up when the stakes are high

Thundermare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 08:16 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundermare View Post
With the WJC Flu, one might wonder is it just bad luck… or does he just fail to show up when the stakes are high
If you look at the scoring in the playoffs for the Rangers it is pretty clear that they were a one line team. When Faksa played briefly with Rieder he generated points. But outside of Catenacci, Rieder and Murphy the rest of the team was a blackhole offensively.

Faksa's line played fine in the games I watched. They did not generate a lot of scoring, but they helped contribute to the wins. And Ming was also hurt. Basically you had a beat up team that went way farther than anyone expected.

Honestly I have no idea how Faksa's offensive game will translate to the NHL. But the kid can play. Next year he is probably centering a line with Rieder and Ben Thomson. If Murphy is back I bet he puts up big numbers.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2012, 02:46 PM
smitty10

I hope Toronto takes him at 5 or trades down to 7 or 8 to do so. He's a big center who has improved dramatically over this season. I'd love to see what he can do with another year in the OHL. He'll be dominant and I think he has a chance to play in the NHL the following season.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote