HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Patrik Berglund

Old
11-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Halak Ness Monster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
The Blues are playing great so far under Hitchcock. Let's wait and see what happens before we start shipping players out. The Blues' top 2 skilled players are hurt too. Perron hasn't played for a year and is coming back soon and Andy Mac has been out most of the season. Tarasenko and Schwartz aren't far off too. Two highly skilled players. The Blues need to let their star players develop and see what they have.
First off, I agree. Any trade of Berglund won't happen for awhile. He'll show us what he has over the next 2 months under Hitchcock. If it isn't much of an improvement, he'll be on the market. If it is, then he'll stay.

Second, I don't see much of a star player in Berglund. He has developed a nice all-around game but has he ever jumped out at anyone as a potential 1st line star forward? Maybe occasionally but for the most part his skills are not top notch and he has shown zero consistency.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:53 PM
wilfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
Uh...Spezza.

No seriously. If the Blues trade Berglund it will be in a package for Spezza or some other #1 center or top forward.

We certainly aren't going to take picks and prospects for him. We are going to package him with a prospect and/or high draft pick and trade him for an improvement.

BTW, the Blues would most certainly trade Berglund. They traded Erik Johnson last year and his potential was much higher than Berglund's.

It has been put up or shut up time for the Blues youngsters the past two years. EJ didn't put up so he was dealt. Berglund isn't coming close to producing and so expect him to be on the market if that doesn't change.
St. Louis is in win now mode. No more talk of potential. Show it on the ice or we'll find someone who can.
just out of curiosity what would you add to Berglund to get Spezza?

wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:01 PM
Jzk

vCash: 4000
I rather wait it out. D'Agostini and Stewart are both very streaky players so when they slump Berglund would naturally slump. When Perron gets back those to already have great chemistry so I'd expect them to feed off each other and start putting up some points.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Noteman

vCash: 350
Send a message via AIM to Noteman Send a message via Yahoo to Noteman
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
I wouldn't add anything to Berglund to get Spezza.

To clarify, Spezza is worth more than Berglund, but I don't want Spezza's contract.

Noteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
2012 first round pick, your pick of a prospect not named Schwartz, Cole or Tarasenko and maybe a 2013 2nd round pick.

Now that takes away 3 of our top 4 prospects but you'd crazy to think we'd give up Berglund AND one of our top 3 prospects AND a 1st round pick. Has a team ever given up that much value for a player? I can only think of Chris Pronger but you are talking about one of the top 3 d-men in the game at the time. Spezza isn't what Pronger was.

BTW I'd like to hear your counteroffer.

Old
11-21-2011, 01:18 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
If we aren't getting an upgrade in return, don't bother making an offer. We are NOT interested in picks or prospects as we have the 6th ranked organization according to Hockey's Future. If Berglund is traded, it will be as part of a package for a #1 center or #1 LH defenseman.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:20 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
2012 first round pick, your pick of a prospect not named Schwartz, Cole or Tarasenko and maybe a 2013 2nd round pick.

Now that takes away 3 of our top 4 prospects but you'd crazy to think we'd give up Berglund AND one of our top 3 prospects AND a 1st round pick. Has a team ever given up that much value for a player? I can only think of Chris Pronger but you are talking about one of the top 3 d-men in the game at the time. Spezza isn't what Pronger was.

BTW I'd like to hear your counteroffer.
I offered Berglund + Schwartz/Cole + 1st before, but Ottawa fans didn't like it. I have learned that proposals for Spezza on here really don't go over well.

Old
11-21-2011, 01:33 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

If you want to know the value of Berglund, just read what the Red Wing and Blackhawk fans on here have posted. You can't say that our biggest rivals are being homers and overvaluing Berglund.

Old
11-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I offered Berglund + Schwartz/Cole + 1st before, but Ottawa fans didn't like it. I have learned that proposals for Spezza on here really don't go over well.
If you don't like Berglund, Schwartz and a 1st for Spezza then you'll never be happy.

Old
11-21-2011, 04:06 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
After the World Championships this past year, I definately thought Berglund was inline for a HUGE year.

He has the frame, the sense, and the skill to have a Kopitar-like impact on games. I dont know what the issue is with him. I thought for sure we were going to see 60-70 points, while playing in all situations.

I haven't followed the Blues this year, but a 29 point pace is shocking to me. Seems like a change of scenery could do him wonders....

I've always liked him as a player dating back to his draft year.
For the most part he's played with an ice-cold Stewart (on pace for 23 points himself), and two 2nd/3rd line tweeners in D'Agositini and Sobotka on his wings (both currently on pace for 30 points)...that's a massive part of it. Missing Perron and McDonald hurts the offense more than we would like to admit. Especially the PP. Berglund's more of a puck possession/shooter type than a puck rusher or distributor. It works best when he has a couple of puck possession wingers with the ability to distribute themselves playing with him (think Perron, McDonald, Oshie). Stewart, D'Agostini, and (to a lesser extent) Sobotka all are more effective in a more north-south get the puck deep (or on net) and get there type of game. Right now Berglund's being forced to do a lot of the puck carrying through the zones and puck distribution himself, and that's simply not his forte.

Personally, I think this thread is a bit knee-jerk. Berglund's been (generally speaking) playing better and more consistently than he ever has been. He's better positionally, better on the back-check, better in his own zone, more physical, and constantly moving his feet. The offense will come eventually. IIRC, this is still his best start in the last two or three years. Things will turn around like they always do, probably not long after Perron returns to the lineup. Those two always looked great together.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 863
Mikhail Grabovski + Stuart Percy + Brad Ross

for

Patrik Berglund

You can switch Kulie in for Grabo if you're uncomfortable with him being a UFA this offseaon. Originaly had Biggs in there instead of Percy, but realized you guys already have Backes and Stewart so a RW PWF probably isn't on your wish list. St. Louis probably isn't interested in moving Berglund though.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:26 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post

for

Patrik Berglund

You can switch Kulie in for Grabo if you're uncomfortable with him being a UFA this offseaon. Originaly had Biggs in there instead of Percy, but realized you guys already have Backes and Stewart so a RW PWF probably isn't on your wish list. St. Louis probably isn't interested in moving Berglund though.
So we fail to upgrade and we get prospects that we don't need?

Old
11-21-2011, 04:32 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post

for

Patrik Berglund

lmfao. no dude. grabo isn't that old and he's a much better player than berglund. we're trying to make the playoffs this year.

the potential berglund has to be as good as grabovski is laughable when we have to add stuart percy and ross.

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:41 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
lmfao. no dude. grabo isn't that old and he's a much better player than berglund. we're trying to make the playoffs this year.

the potential berglund has to be as good as grabovski is laughable when we have to add stuart percy and ross.
You do realize that Grabovski only had 6 more points than Berglund last season and only has 3 more this season. Berglund is also much more physical than Grabovski.

Old
11-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Hulk Hogan*

Patrik Berglund

Mikhail Grabovski
Cody Franson
2nd round pick 2012

Hulk Hogan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:45 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk Hogan View Post

Patrik Berglund

Mikhail Grabovski
Cody Franson
2nd round pick 2012
1. We don't upgrade
2. We don't need the pick
3. We don't need Franson

Old
11-21-2011, 04:46 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
You do realize that Grabovski only had 6 more points than Berglund last season and only has 3 more this season. Berglund is also much more physical than Grabovski.
grabovski has a MUCH better 2 way game than berglund. i'm talking about their overall play. grabovski is better offensively, and a hell of a lot better defensively.

and lol, grabo is a very physical player. just because berglund is bigger doesn't make him "much more" physical.

Old
11-21-2011, 04:50 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
grabovski has a MUCH better 2 way game than berglund. i'm talking about their overall play.

and lol, grabo is a very physical player. just because berglund is bigger doesn't make him "much more" physical.
So, Berglund doesn't have a good 2-way game? How many Blues games do you watch because that is just a ridiculous comment.

Old
11-21-2011, 04:58 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

grabovski being better does not equal to berglund not having a 2 way game

l2logic. every time you make a fallacy, god kills a kitten.

Old
11-21-2011, 05:04 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
grabovski being better does not equal to berglund not having a 2 way game

l2logic. every time you make a fallacy, god kills a kitten.
Well when you put MUCH in caps, it makes it seem like you think Berglund has no 2 way game. Fact is, we do no upgrade going to Grabovski and we lose out on the potential that Berglund can become. Our style prefers bigger, physical centers anyway, so we wouldn't be interested in Grabovski.

Old
11-21-2011, 05:08 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Grabovski is not a 2-way player. In fact, that is one thing he really should improve. In the offensive zone he do look a little bit more dynamic but then he lacks the physical aspect that Berglund brings.

Berglund >>> Grabovksi.

And Biggs along with Percy will not be used to get Berglund. Both just drafted in the first round, developing very well and both very much part of the future for Leafs. Was it not enough that we traded Steen and Cola to them for a struggling player? And from what I have seen Berglund does not really struggle, he just is not hot yet.

I would like to have Berglund as a centre for the Leafs but Blues and Leafs make bad trading partners.

johnny_rudeboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 05:23 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
Well when you put MUCH in caps, it makes it seem like you think Berglund has no 2 way game. Fact is, we do no upgrade going to Grabovski and we lose out on the potential that Berglund can become. Our style prefers bigger, physical centers anyway, so we wouldn't be interested in Grabovski.
to put this in perspective.

Berglund last season was a -3 in a team with +6 GD. Backes led your team with a +32.

Grabovski last season led the Leafs (-33 GD) with +14.

whatever you "prefer" has nothing to do with Grabo being a better overall player.

Old
11-21-2011, 05:26 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Grabovski is not a 2-way player. In fact, that is one thing he really should improve. In the offensive zone he do look a little bit more dynamic but then he lacks the physical aspect that Berglund brings.
read my previous post. too bad you can't delete posts in this forum eh? rofl.

oh i know you call yourself a leaf fan, but which forward do you think wilson uses to shut down the other team's best forward? hint- it's not the kessel line.

Old
11-21-2011, 05:28 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
to put this in perspective.

Berglund last season was a -3 in a team with +6 GD. Backes led your team with a +32.

Grabovski last season led the Leafs (-33 GD) with +14.

whatever you "prefer" has nothing to do with Grabo being a better overall player.
It's not what I prefer, it's what our management prefers and they clearly prefer bigger centers, so they would have no interest in Grabovski unless he all of a sudden became a PPG #1 center.

Old
11-21-2011, 05:29 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
It's not what I prefer, it's what our management prefers and they clearly prefer bigger centers, so they would have no interest in Grabovski unless he all of a sudden became a PPG #1 center.
i never said either team would make the trade. all i said is that the leafs shouldn't do it. nothing about the blues.