HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

After 20 games, I think it's safe to say...

Old
11-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Axl Rhoadz*

vCash: 500
After 20 games, I think it's safe to say...

This is NOT an elite team in the West. I think it's been proven thus far....playing teams like VAN, SJ and now DET, they've all made the Kings look foolish. Those games haven't even been close, and those are the teams that the Kings should be comparing themselves to....I would even go so far to say that last year Kings team was better than this years.

So all those predictions having the Kings taking the West....no f'ing way, not even close.

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:05 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

I think it's safe to say they'll have a stronger next 20 games vs. the opening 20.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I think it's safe to say they'll have a stronger next 20 games vs. the opening 20.
What exactly would imply that? Penner coming back from IR?

Old
11-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Kingurentai

I think we're fine. Just need some tweaking here and there. As much as I'm disappointed with TM's coaching, he's FINALLY making some adjustments. We're still figuring things out and it's not like we're horrible during this process.

It'd be one thing if we were horrible, but there's been plenty of flashes of brilliance here and there. I think we get a lot of this type of opinion because we look stronger on paper than we ever have. Patience. I think this team is going to blow up and have a real good stretch post Xmas once they really gel and get their lines and systems straightened out. A solid bottom 6 additions couldn't hurt, but no need for huge changes.

One thing though, TM needs to start playing Bernier more. Now. He's going to burn Quick out again.

Kingurentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:37 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rhoadz View Post
What exactly would imply that?
Europe. Doughty missing camp.

There's no question the Europe trip had a big drag on their performance in the first 10-15 games. They've been playing overall much better over their last 5-6 games.

Doughty is nowhere near the offense #'s he's capable of - somewhat attributable to missing camp. Europe didn't help. I know you were joking but Penner being out of the lineup doesn't help either.

It was pretty obvious (at least it should have been given what's happened to west coast teams that went to Europe in the past) that the Kings would have a slow start because of the Europe adventure. Those trips cost points in the standings. It'll probably cost Anaheim any shot at a playoff spot and certainly will make it harder on the Kings to have any chance of winning the division.

Given that, I'm fairly certain they will have a much stronger games 21-40 than the first 1-20.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:57 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

After 20 games, please list the elite teams...

Vancouver?
San Jose?
Detroit?

Every team in the West has hit a skid at one point or another, and everyone of those fan bases has a thread like this one.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
....playing teams like VAN, SJ and now DET..... Those games haven't even been close.....

That's not entirely accurate. The Detroit game was much closer than the score indicated. It really could have gone either way:
  • 2 hit posts
  • 1 missed penalty shot
  • 1 uncharacteristic bad goal let in by Quick
  • Brown beating all their defense only to not get a good shot off

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:18 AM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

Quote:
What exactly would imply that? Penner coming back from IR?
Exactly. Plus westgarth should play a little better

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:25 AM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Quote:
Europe. Doughty missing camp.

There's no question the Europe trip had a big drag on their performance in the first 10-15 games. They've been playing overall much better over their last 5-6 games.

Doughty is nowhere near the offense #'s he's capable of - somewhat attributable to missing camp. Europe didn't help. I know you were joking but Penner being out of the lineup doesn't help either.

It was pretty obvious (at least it should have been given what's happened to west coast teams that went to Europe in the past) that the Kings would have a slow start because of the Europe adventure. Those trips cost points in the standings. It'll probably cost Anaheim any shot at a playoff spot and certainly will make it harder on the Kings to have any chance of winning the division.

Given that, I'm fairly certain they will have a much stronger games 21-40 than the first 1-20.

There is no way in hell Europe can have an effect on a team for 10-15 games. These are professional athletes we're talking about. Maybe 3 to 5 games sure. Not 10-15

ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
The Kings offense sucked last year and it sucks again this year. Players have changed and the offense has stayed the same. The Kings didn't go to Europe last year.

Could the same offensive output the past 2 years (and 3+ season of Murray) be because the system is about luck and bounces instead of skill? Getting more skilled hasn't resulted in any offensive improvement. The Kings play 5-on-5 has gotten worse and I didn't think that would be possible.

What was last year's excuse for the bad offense? Are we still using the youth excuse too? Not enough skill?

St. Louis fired their coach and are now 4-0-2 in their first 6 games with their new coach. Must be a strange coincidence since it is the same players that were 6-7.

Last edited by Sydor25: 11-21-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:38 AM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Quote:
This is NOT an elite team in the West. I think it's been proven thus far....playing teams like VAN, SJ and now DET, they've all made the Kings look foolish. Those games haven't even been close, and those are the teams that the Kings should be comparing themselves to....I would even go so far to say that last year Kings team was better than this years.

So all those predictions having the Kings taking the West....no f'ing way, not even close.

You do realize that Kings have more points then Vancouver are tied with Detroit and are all of 4 points out from being tied for the most points in the whole NHL.

Yet we have beat teams like NYR, Philly, Minny, and Nashville. All who are better or equal to us in the standings.

Pay more attention!

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:39 AM
deeshamrock

Kopitar (9) Richards (8) and Gagne (7) are responsible for 50% of the total goals. That is something that DL should be (and if the trade rumors are half accurate, is) aware of.

1) Mike Richards needs skilled wingers to compliment his speed and IQ. The revolving door at LW has not worked and I see very little chemistry between him and Brown. It's been 20 games, it's not coming. Frustrating that sometimes Brown thinks he's Gretsky and does end to end rushes that go nowhere and/or cannot fininsh MR's passes. The few times Brown was with Stoll, he seemed more comfortable. Maybe he can't adjust to MR's game.

I believe Gagne should be playing with MR but it's clear Tm won't go there, not even on PK, which is really bad judgement. Why not switch Brown and Williams (3 goals) for a few games?? What could it hurt???

2) 3rd/4th line scoring- Deficient and change required. Again, DL I think is aware and will try to make a move.

Quote:
Every team in the West has hit a skid at one point or another, and everyone of those fan bases has a thread like this one.
Exactly. The points in the Division and Conference (and league) are very close. Kings have 23 points , League leaders (hawks, Wild) have 27, Hawks have 1 game ahead. No reason to panic there. I think Doughty missing camp hurt alot and it will take him awhile to catch up. If the Kings can keept the GA down (2 or less) , put the GF up to 3-4, they'll get more W's. What they need to do is play 60 minutes. Too often it's the same handful of players who are putting out 110% and pushing it, they need the whole team, or most of them to be more disciplined.

Quote:
One thing though, TM needs to start playing Bernier more. Now. He's going to burn Quick out again.
Agreed. Esp on Back to Back games. Maybe Bernier should have played the 2nd Ducks game. I wonder if he'll start each this week.

Quote:
Did anyone else notice that during the time out, Richards was doing all the talking for the pp? Murray and Kompon were doing nothing. This isnt the first time i noticed Richie taking over the pp talk. Heh who needs Kompon when Richie is doing all the planning
That's a strong sign that his leader roots are planted firm. He loves taking command, being in charge and shoulders pressure well, always has. What some hockey critics deemed a 'slow start' for him, I saw as a smart leader easing himself into the team mix. He was captain and leader on a prior team coming to a team with a leadership groiup established. He's too smart to crash that party, rather he waded into those waters slowly, testing the temp, wading more, etc. until he was comfortable. The first sign of that was the vocalizing on the ice, on the bench and (from what other players have said in various post game comments) in the room. Very seldom to they pan on him, eithe ron the ice on bench and his mouth and hands aren't moving.

Being the General comes naturally to him and he loves to organize , plan and direct, which is why his mouth is always running because he's always thinking.
Recent examples -In the 2nd Ducks game right b4 his empty net goal, he huddled up with Kopi nad the 2 defensemen, yapping and first pointing his glove behind Quick and then motioning up the ice. And a few games back prior to a 5 on 3 PP, he did ALL the planning/talking during the timeout.

I think he's become more proactive shooting due to both the passing failures and the fact he's getting more confident, direct in his role as a leader on the team.

Looking at the first 20 games, and all they've contributed (esp PP) I wonder where the Kings would be without Richards and Gagne?

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Ollie Weeks

Everybody's more or less in the same boat right now. I feel a bit foolish demanding that my team be able to separate themselves from literally the entire field competitors. It feels presumptuous to expect it at this stage. I'm not sold on how good or bad they team is or will be.

Last year we had a killer start, sucked away November, then murdered everybody in December. January was a mess, and afterwards it was fairly even keel if you overlook what happened after Kopitar went down. So far we've been average the whole way in a league of even competition, and there's a general consensus we are under performing. I'll take that, for now anyway. I'm confident the guys will be pulling up their socks in short order.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
After 20 games, please list the elite teams...

Vancouver?
San Jose?
Detroit?

If you look back at the last several years, those are the teams at the end that have been there consistently. THEREFORE, yes, those ARE the elite teams and the ones that the Kings SHOULD be competing with. Like I said before, they've all made the Kings look foolish within the first 20-games...and yet they have all played poorly through the first 20 as well! I remember VAN passing the puck around in the Kings offensive zone as if they were playing against a team from my beer league! I'm not saying the Kings should have won all of those games, but the compete should have been there.

Old
11-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKingsFan View Post
You do realize that Kings have more points then Vancouver are tied with Detroit and are all of 4 points out from being tied for the most points in the whole NHL.

Yet we have beat teams like NYR, Philly, Minny, and Nashville. All who are better or equal to us in the standings.

Pay more attention!
Wow, seriously? So tell me this, if you have to make a wager right now, what teams do you bet on to be at the top of the west come the end of the season? Min and Nashville....or, umm, SJ, DET AND VAN? Pay more attention.

Old
11-21-2011, 12:12 PM
ZJames

20 games is a good sample size in my opinion. But it needs to be remembered that it is a long season, there are still 62 games left in the season, and anything can happen. The Kings could land a good 3rd line player in a trade that gets our bottom 6 going, Doughty could get things rolling like he did his sophomore year, the penalty kill can still get turned around. But at the same time there could be injuries that slow this team down, players go in the crapper, or the whole thing just falls apart.

You never know how things could go.

ZJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Wow, seriously? So tell me this, if you have to make a wager right now, what teams do you bet on to be at the top of the west come the end of the season? Min and Nashville....or, umm, SJ, DET AND VAN? Pay more attention.
personally I take Chicago Minnesota and SJ to win the 3 divisions. The Kings offense has sucked, and sucked bad, yet are only 4 points out of the conference lead.

Are the Kings elite? perhaps not yet. But it's not like we are Columbus or something.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJames View Post
But at the same time there could be injuries that slow this team down, players go in the crapper....

Ummm......actually, injuries ARE slowing this team down (Doughty, Penner [twice], Parse [twice]), and players ARE in the crapper (Stoll, Hunter, and Richardson .....where are these guys?).

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Johnny Utah

Matt Barry wrote a great review so far.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matth...view/125/39884

He is dead on, Kings aren't getting production from the bottom 6 and we ain't going anywhere if that continues to be the case.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:42 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

20 games is essentially 1/4 of the season. With the additional points for OTLs and SOLs, the league average points per season has been 92 - that translates to 1.122 points per game, or 22.44 points in 20 games. The Kings have 23 points and are in 7th place with 3 teams below them sitting on 22 points and a game in hand.

The last 2 seasons were supposed to be the "sneak into the playoffs - anything can happen" time. Considering the offseason changes and the maturation of the young core, weren't they expected to be well above average this season? Five or 6 seasons is an awfully long time to produce a team that isn't doing much better than they were doing before DL took over.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:45 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
Are the Kings elite? perhaps not yet.
Other than wishful thinking, what indications are there that they ever will be?

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:50 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:

I think any of the Kings players or staff would be personally insulted if you said to them that these teams made them look "foolish". Yes, there were parts in each of those games where they were picked apart but it's not like these teams skated circles around them for 60 minutes.

I just don't understand why people freak out in November. If you've followed NHL hockey for any length of time you know that teams can look entirely different in June than they did in November. The tide can change so many times in a season.

I, personally, am concerned with a couple areas of the Kings game (mainly finishing scoring chances) but am not worried about this team finding itself at some point this season. Everyone just needs to take a chill pill and wait and see what happens.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

safe to say vancouver is having a worse season than us.

safe to say both detroit and san jose had terrible skids where they were below us.

safe to say there are 62 games left and a lot can happen

Jason Lewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:00 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Well, at least I can tune out for the rest of the season. Move on folks.. nothing to see here! The Kings are **** again.

I swear some of you guys have a black cloud following you. Are you all this miserable in your own lives or do you just pretend on the internet?

You can use all the anecdotal evidence to support your case and some of it might even have some merit but they play 82 games for a reason. I'm thinking the Kings will still finish in a playoff spot. I'm hopeful they'll have home ice this year. All of you jokers will be watching the rest of the games too. You guys do this all year, every year. Lighten up a little and if hockey and the LA Kings have that big of grip on your life, find some other distractions because following professional sports is actually supposed to bring you happiness, not misery.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:04 PM
DaAnimal

I agree with this post. After 20 games, it is safe to say that this team is not an ELITE team. I know we can play better: especially DD. When people talk about defense on the kings, despite his offensive abilities, DD is always the topic. He represents our core D. People keep dwelling on the past about how he is a Canadian gold medalist, nominated for this and that, but the fact is that was in the past. Lets talk about NOW.

Us fans need to wake up. This team COULD be so MUCH BETTER. We got dominated by the Sabres, Sharks, RedWings, and the Canucks. We were so bad in certain periods, we don't deserve to win. It saddens me how our fans react at the staples center. I'm definitely excluding you guys on the hfboards, i know you guys are truly dedicated to this team and I am too. But there is just no enthusiasm at the games, fans are not there to be fans. This is why we can't land big players. I'm a sole believer that fans enthusiasm will reflect on a players/team performance. So honestly first order of things that needs to change is the fan base. Come on Kings fan, get aroused and start cheering for your team!!! START SCREAMING GO KINGS GO, get naked, get wild, get drunk, DO WHATEVER, who cares about what others think of you! I wish AEG would reserve a section for HFBoard members in one section so ya'll can cheer for your team/favorite players.

Secondly, you can say coaching is a big problem, and I don't disagree with you. TM is 100 years old and his system isn't what we want, but he is still a respectable coach in the NHL. The guy has proven to be successful so why not stick with his plan for another 60+ games. The true problem in my opinion is our PP. No excuse for us to suck on the PP. My question is why the hell are Hunter and Moreau doing on our PP? Get those lackluster players out of the PP system and put in someone like Lotki. Come on Kompon, if you're reading this stop screwing around with the system chemistry **** and put players that have the ability to score goals for us.

Overall, if we want to be considered to be an elite team, we need to start with consistency first. We need to beat teams like SJ, Van, and DET.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote