HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

After 20 games, I think it's safe to say...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-21-2011, 05:13 PM
  #76
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Don't forget the game in Denver when LA doubled the Avs' shot total and lost by one goal ... basically an empty net tip-in by Hejduk that took a bad bounce of the end boards when Quick was behind the goal to retrieve it.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 05:14 PM
  #77
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Your argument was that the Kings don't have enough game changers to compete and score. Yet Nashville and Phoenix have consistently done more with less. Tippett came in a fixed Gretzky's mess in ONE season. Where is Terry's success in the playoffs post lockout? How many rounds has he won? How many times have his teams finished in the top 4 of the conference since the lockout?

You never even answered my question, who are the game changers on Nashville and Phoenix? I've maintained that offense is needed to win the Cup, with evidence to back it up, but it isn't a guarantee of a Stanley Cup, just improves your odds. You said that the Kings needed more game changers to win and I don't think that is the problem. The Kings have all of the game changers that they need already on the roster, they just aren't allowed to use their natural ability.

Give Tippett and Trotz a team owner that is willing to spend to the cap and they will probably have better playoff success than they have shown, at least they are putting their teams in a better position than Terry Murray.

Yes, their overall success and failure is similar, but Trotz and Tippett get more out of their rosters than Murray has shown. Nashville and Phoenix are consistently picked to miss the payoffs and they keep making it. The Kings have been picked by some hockey "experts" to win the Pacific the past couple of season and haven't come close.
I didn't say they Needed more game changers. I simply pointed out we only added ONE. It's unrealistic to make an NHL team today full of them.

But just because we added one doesn't mean we were going to be Elite.. And the Experts Picks don't mean anything. Who picked Boston last Year to the Cup? A lot of those same Experts Picked Van to win that Cup against Boston

PHX and Nashville have NHL competitive Rosters. The people who say they don't are just loons. Murray post season Record is about the Same as Tippets/Trotz Post lockout BAD.

I am not Defending him, I am just Realistic about WHO DEAN LOMBARDI WILL REPLACE HIM WITH. You are not. WE fire Murray today, You have John Stevens Tomorrow, how on gods green earth is that an upgrade?

You do know John Stevens is a Murray CLONE right? Tippet is not going to be a coach here every again. And Dean Lombardi is not Going to hand this team over to an AHL coach that wants to open the game up.


Last edited by damacles1156: 11-21-2011 at 06:15 PM.
damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 05:23 PM
  #78
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I think the Kings are going in the right direction when I look at the personnel assembled. You have a #1 and #2 center, #1 and #2 dman and a #1 goalie. Would you 1) like to dispute that statement and 2) assuming you agree, when is the last time the Kings had those caliber of players in those positions?
I won't dispute that statement and it has been a long time, but let me ask you this - what good is it assembling those pieces if it doesn't change the results? The Kings brought in a TON of scoring potential since the trade deadline, yet their goals/game number is nearly identical to what it was in the first year the TM was here. The Kings have made a bunch of personnel changes over the last 3 years - none seem to make a difference, then when a number of players leave the Kings, their scoring touch magically seems to return.

Players coming in don't seem to be able to produce - players leaving start lighting the lamp. I will grant you that it's not every player, but that sure seems to be the trend. It's much easier coming up with names that fit that trend than those that don't. Is it really just coincidence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
One other thing I always see you asking for is accountability. Who exactly are you looking to be held accountable and by whom?
If a player isn't putting out a reasonable effort, I expect his teammates to hold him accountable. I don't see that happening in this case.

If a player is putting in a reasonable effort, but not getting results in the system, it's up to TM to hold him accountable. TM's attempts at accountability seem misdirected most of the time.

If TM isn't able to get the team to produce, it is up to DL to hold him accountable.

The bottom line is with AEG. They have to hold DL accountable for the success of the team, both financially and competitively. Financially, I'm sure they are doing more than fine - even with their voodoo accounting. Competitively, the Kings have been underperforming forever with no one willing to demand results. It isn't like AEG took over this team a few years ago - it's been 16 years of bluster and promise and pitiful results. I can't think of any other business where this level of mediocrity would be tolerated for this long, unless "butts in the seats" is the measure of success, not wins and losses.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 05:31 PM
  #79
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I didn't say they Needed more game changers. I simply pointed out we only added ONE. It's unrealistic to make an NHL team today full of them.
They didn't trade all that they did for Penner AND pay him $4.25 mil to be a cheerleader. He was SUPPOSED to be a game changer - he isn't, but that doesn't change their intent.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 05:33 PM
  #80
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
I won't dispute that statement and it has been a long time, but let me ask you this - what good is it assembling those pieces if it doesn't change the results? The Kings brought in a TON of scoring potential since the trade deadline, yet their goals/game number is nearly identical to what it was in the first year the TM was here. The Kings have made a bunch of personnel changes over the last 3 years - none seem to make a difference, then when a number of players leave the Kings, their scoring touch magically seems to return.

Players coming in don't seem to be able to produce - players leaving start lighting the lamp. I will grant you that it's not every player, but that sure seems to be the trend. It's much easier coming up with names that fit that trend than those that don't. Is it really just coincidence?



If a player isn't putting out a reasonable effort, I expect his teammates to hold him accountable. I don't see that happening in this case.

If a player is putting in a reasonable effort, but not getting results in the system, it's up to TM to hold him accountable. TM's attempts at accountability seem misdirected most of the time.

If TM isn't able to get the team to produce, it is up to DL to hold him accountable.

The bottom line is with AEG. They have to hold DL accountable for the success of the team, both financially and competitively. Financially, I'm sure they are doing more than fine - even with their voodoo accounting. Competitively, the Kings have been underperforming forever with no one willing to demand results. It isn't like AEG took over this team a few years ago - it's been 16 years of bluster and promise and pitiful results. I can't think of any other business where this level of mediocrity would be tolerated for this long, unless "butts in the seats" is the measure of success, not wins and losses.
One problem is a Corporation most of the time is only worried about the Bottom line.

And the Kings bottom line is probably looking pretty good right now. They know that a Cup would bring more revenue, but they are not going to take a bunch of losses (bottom line wise). To get there.

Right now I would bet AEG is happy making the playoff's every year. It keeps fan interest up (Even if you don't win a round).I would wager the pressure for Dean to win a Cup is nonexistent. As long as playoff Appearances are the norm.

If you want to see the Kings really take off. Lombardi has to go along with Murray.
Cause this is how They BOTH want LA Hockey to be.

damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 05:35 PM
  #81
DaAnimal
Registered User
 
DaAnimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pasadena
Country: United States
Posts: 1,350
vCash: 500
Don't get me wrong but this topic is not intended to say that we suck. I'm sure the whole purpose of this topic was to say the Kings are not an elite team, at least not yet.

The team is above average.

Will we make it to the playoffs? I think so, if we don't I would be extremely disappointed.

Will we advance to the second round? Not with the way we are currently playing.

I know it has been 20 games, people are saying that we are jumping swords but I'm not. In the end if we finish dead last, I will still be a supporter of the Kings.

To the previous poster who said something about the fans in the playoffs. Yes I was there for one playoff game against the Sharks. You are absolutely right, the fans were awesome and energetic, my question is why can't every game be a playoff game?

Consistency is obviously the problem. And it has been for a very long time. The bottom 6 needs to figure out a way to score goals. Additionally, our "most expensive player" needs to start producing. You can say he's doing a fair job but not for $7million. Kopitar has been phenomenal, JJ, as we expected is finally maturing, Richards has solidified our Top 6, Gagne and Williams are doing well. Brown, well I'm happy with his play currently but needs to be more of a leader on the ice than outside of the ice. He needs to start putting people in check, instilling the W in their heads and start dangling a freaking bone in front of their faces every single day! As for our D, Scuds, Mitchell, and Greene, they have been doing well defensively. Coaches and management can only do so much, it's really up to the players. They need to be motivated, they need to have the drive to win, they need to just go out there and play with a chip on their shoulder.


Last edited by DaAnimal: 11-21-2011 at 05:44 PM.
DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 05:40 PM
  #82
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, Nv.
Country: United States
Posts: 25,610
vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
They didn't trade all that they did for Penner AND pay him $4.25 mil to be a cheerleader. He was SUPPOSED to be a game changer - he isn't, but that doesn't change their intent.
I wouldn't say he was supposed to be a game changer, mainly a goal scorer, a finisher. Someone they could count on for 25+. Obviously, that is a steep estimate for him under our system.

__________________

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 05:42 PM
  #83
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 8,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Would you say that the rosters that Crawford and Andy Murray were given are equal to the one Terry Murray has been given? Just because Lombardi has failed with both of his coaching choices doesn't mean the Kings (AEG) should just live with the mistakes.
Definitely not... I think the personnel the Kings have now is better than anything in almost 20 years. I was making that point because I had (wrongly) assumed PSP would be saying the players aren't much better than what AM had 05/06.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
I won't dispute that statement and it has been a long time, but let me ask you this - what good is it assembling those pieces if it doesn't change the results? The Kings brought in a TON of scoring potential since the trade deadline, yet their goals/game number is nearly identical to what it was in the first year the TM was here. The Kings have made a bunch of personnel changes over the last 3 years - none seem to make a difference, then when a number of players leave the Kings, their scoring touch magically seems to return.

Players coming in don't seem to be able to produce - players leaving start lighting the lamp. I will grant you that it's not every player, but that sure seems to be the trend. It's much easier coming up with names that fit that trend than those that don't. Is it really just coincidence?
No I don't believe it is a coincidence and if DL can't see what fans on a message board see, then we really are in trouble. Given the fact that both DL and Murray have addressed the issue means they are both aware of it. If they are aware of it and neither do anything about it, then AEG is going to have to do something.

It is my opinion that if the Kings do struggle this year and either get knocked out in the first round or they miss the playoffs, TM and possibly DL might be out the door. Hopefully they are able to put somebody in charge to get better results because as you and I both believe the personnel is there.

That is what I don't get about this whole premise. The optimism from me comes from the players on the roster under contract for 5+ years in all but Quick's case. We are 20 games into the season and the Kings are in 7th place and people are already telling me the Kings suck and won't do anything. Well poop on me for wanting the season playout before I throw in the towel. And again, if people really expect this team to flounder and miss the playoffs or have a first round exit, why put yourselves through the misery. You are watching for a reason and it isn't because you all want to see what you have forecasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
If a player isn't putting out a reasonable effort, I expect his teammates to hold him accountable. I don't see that happening in this case.

If a player is putting in a reasonable effort, but not getting results in the system, it's up to TM to hold him accountable. TM's attempts at accountability seem misdirected most of the time.

If TM isn't able to get the team to produce, it is up to DL to hold him accountable.

The bottom line is with AEG. They have to hold DL accountable for the success of the team, both financially and competitively. Financially, I'm sure they are doing more than fine - even with their voodoo accounting. Competitively, the Kings have been underperforming forever with no one willing to demand results. It isn't like AEG took over this team a few years ago - it's been 16 years of bluster and promise and pitiful results. I can't think of any other business where this level of mediocrity would be tolerated for this long, unless "butts in the seats" is the measure of success, not wins and losses.
I think AEG will hold DL accountable. They want playoffs as much as anyone because that means more $$. You think they are content not making a better ROI? You can give AEG flack for the pre-lockout years but they have spent money over the past 5 years and they allowed DL to piece together the personnel you and I both covet. They are giving him the chance I believe he has earned to see this process out. I can't imagine they are going to be content if the Kings have another early exit. Either TM or both he and DL will have to go if that happens.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 05:45 PM
  #84
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
They didn't trade all that they did for Penner AND pay him $4.25 mil to be a cheerleader. He was SUPPOSED to be a game changer - he isn't, but that doesn't change their intent.
He was brought in for scoring help just like Gagne. Penner was a dumb move. You can't bring guys in Murray's system that have ?????? on the effort part of their game.
In hindsight it's one of Dean's worst moves. He should of stuck to his guns on that one (Right player, Right fit, Right time).



Just a recipe for disaster.

damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 05:46 PM
  #85
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 8,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
One problem is a Corporation most of the time is only worried about the Bottom line.

And the Kings bottom line is probably looking pretty good right now. They know that a Cup would bring more revenue, but they are not going to take a bunch of losses (bottom line wise). To get there.

Right now I would bet AEG is happy making the playoff's every year. It keeps fan interest up (Even if you don't win a round).I would wager the pressure for Dean to win a Cup is nonexistent. As long as playoff Appearances are the norm.

If you want to see the Kings really take off. Lombardi has to go along with Murray.
Cause this is how They BOTH want LA Hockey to be.
First off, how does anyone truly know what AEG's bottom line is looking like?

I'm sorry but I doubt AEG is content to just make the playoffs every year. They are spending more money on the team than they ever have before. I can't imagine any self respecting business person is content with the same ROI when they've pumping more and more money into it.

I have to imagine that when DL says expectations are high this year, that he means from above him as well.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 05:58 PM
  #86
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
First off, how does anyone truly know what AEG's bottom line is looking like?

I'm sorry but I doubt AEG is content to just make the playoffs every year. They are spending more money on the team than they ever have before. I can't imagine any self respecting business person is content with the same ROI when they've pumping more and more money into it.

I have to imagine that when DL says expectations are high this year, that he means from above him as well.
I don't have any proof, But AEG is a Multi Billion dollar Corporation. They didn't get that way by taking losses on a Hockey team. I mean really, So they have spent the most money ever on the team. So what, they could have been spending the Bare minimum all these years.

So they finally decided to spend a little over or close to what they make on the product ? We will never know. But I hardly believe AEG is just throwing money down the tubes these last few years to build a winner.


Last edited by damacles1156: 11-21-2011 at 06:34 PM.
damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 06:06 PM
  #87
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends
 
Moses Doughty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Drewbacca
Country: United States
Posts: 7,836
vCash: 500
If LA gets some more balances scoring it will be fine

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 06:07 PM
  #88
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 8,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I don't have any proof, But AEG is a Multi Billion dollar Corporation. They didn't get that way by taking losses on a Hockey team.
My point remains the same regardless. If you spend more money on something, you want a better return. All I am saying is we do know for a fact that AEG is spending more than they ever have regardless of how well they may or may not be doing right now and so I think it is a safe bet to assume they want more in return for that investment.

If the Kings go one and out again in the playoffs, I doubt TL or Anschutz are going to say to themselves, "gee we spent more money than we ever have before and we got the same result, that is just fine because we are still making money".

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 06:09 PM
  #89
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
My point remains the same regardless. If you spend more money on something, you want a better return. All I am saying is we do know for a fact that AEG is spending more than they ever have regardless of how well they may or may not be doing right now and so I think it is a safe bet to assume they want more in return for that investment.

If the Kings go one and out again in the playoffs, I doubt TL or Anschutz are going to say to themselves, "gee we spent more money than we ever have before and we got the same result, that is just fine because we are still making money".
I can agree to that.

damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 06:16 PM
  #90
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 8,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I can agree to that.
Fair enough.. so it will be interesting to see how the season plays out. If the team struggles like some are predicting, then TL/Anschutz will have some decisions to make. Maybe DL will fire TM or DL and/or Tm will make some adjustments on the bottom 6 prior to that. Who really knows but I'm certainly not going to assume that since the team is 27th in the league in 5 on 5 scoring right now that they are going to remain there.

For all the grief Murray gets, the top lines seem to be scoring just fine. I'd like to think if he can get the bottom 6 figured out, the team would/will be in much better shape. Of course, he isn't the most proactive guy so maybe that is wishful thinking. It would be interesting to see how the team performed if Loktionov was moved to the 3rd line center role.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 06:18 PM
  #91
VEGASKING
#1 fan
 
VEGASKING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 1,645
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to VEGASKING
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
And again, if people really expect this team to flounder and miss the playoffs or have a first round exit, why put yourselves through the misery. You are watching for a reason and it isn't because you all want to see what you have forecasted.

You keep saying stuff like this. Are we only supposed to watch if they are a top 4 seed and legit contender? If we're realistic and have doubts about having success in the playoffs we should just stop watching completely? This argument makes no sense. If you've been a fan of this team for any length of time you've watched teams ten times worse than this one. Why stop now? And just because we've seen worse doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't complain about this current team underachieving.

VEGASKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 06:20 PM
  #92
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Fair enough.. so it will be interesting to see how the season plays out. If the team struggles like some are predicting, then TL/Anschutz will have some decisions to make. Maybe DL will fire TM or DL and/or Tm will make some adjustments on the bottom 6 prior to that. Who really knows but I'm certainly not going to assume that since the team is 27th in the league in 5 on 5 scoring right now that they are going to remain there.

For all the grief Murray gets, the top lines seem to be scoring just fine. I'd like to think if he can get the bottom 6 figured out, the team would/will be in much better shape. Of course, he isn't the most proactive guy so maybe that is wishful thinking. It would be interesting to see how the team performed if Loktionov was moved to the 3rd line center role.
Like I said , If you told me this off season the bottom six was going to stink this bad. I would have died from laughter. But it is....what it is.

Loki so far has not impressed me what so ever. I have a hard time buying into the Premise that; you drop him to center terrible wingers he is going to be better, or make those wingers better.


Last edited by damacles1156: 11-21-2011 at 06:36 PM.
damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 06:36 PM
  #93
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 8,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASKING View Post
You keep saying stuff like this. Are we only supposed to watch if they are a top 4 seed and legit contender? If we're realistic and have doubts about having success in the playoffs we should just stop watching completely? This argument makes no sense. If you've been a fan of this team for any length of time you've watched teams ten times worse than this one. Why stop now? And just because we've seen worse doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't complain about this current team underachieving.
No I just think it is silly that people proclaim the Kings aren't elite 20 games into the season. What does that even mean? Are the Red Wings elite? I think most would argue that they are an elite organization but they aren't playing like it. I don't think anyone thinks the Red Wings will play like **** the whole season. Why can't the same be said about the Kings mediocrity (or whatever you want call their start)? I guess the Kings' history dictates the future. The fact of the matter is we are 20 games into the season and although OP has announced to us that the Kings have no chance of taking the West, I still think do which is while I will be watching. But by all means, conintue wallow your misery. This place is like a 12 step program for sad sacks sometimes.

EDIT: Just as a point of reference, I happen to follow the Detroit Lions and the Detroit Tigers. And while the Tigers have had some success the past few seasons, they both have had numerous years of futility. This place is WORSE than both of of the message boards I lurk on for those teams. Misery loves company I suppose.


Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 11-21-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 06:45 PM
  #94
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Elite doesn't really mean anything, just like "power" rankings. Scoring more goals than the other team is all that matters. Until the Kings improve the offense, the Kings won't reach their ultimate goal.

After 250+ games of Murray, I don't see it improving with more roster changes.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 06:46 PM
  #95
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
That is what I don't get about this whole premise. The optimism from me comes from the players on the roster under contract for 5+ years in all but Quick's case. We are 20 games into the season and the Kings are in 7th place and people are already telling me the Kings suck and won't do anything. Well poop on me for wanting the season playout before I throw in the towel. And again, if people really expect this team to flounder and miss the playoffs or have a first round exit, why put yourselves through the misery. You are watching for a reason and it isn't because you all want to see what you have forecasted.
I think one part of this whole premise that you're not seeing is that many of us aren't looking at this as just 20 games, but at the entire TM reign.

Their GFA

2008/9 season was 2.52 - 27th place
2009/10 season was 2.94 - T9th place (primarily due to Doughty and Simmonds)
20010/11 season was 2.67 - 25th place
20011/12 season is 2.45 - 24th place

If Doughty and Simmonds didn't get hot that year, the Kings would have been right around 2.6 that season also. That's essentially 3 1/4 seasons of offense that hasn't improved even though the personnel has improved AND matured - with no glaring signs of improvement that I can see.

I don't remember who said it, but the team isn't playing to win - they are playing not to lose. When the defense is able to do their job and they don't get any bad bounces, they can be competitive, but if ANYTHING unexpected happens, whether a defensive lapse or even just a bad goal or two, this team rarely is able to muster the offense to come back.

Looking at it this way, the problem is systemic and glaring - and totally fixable, but until AEG, DL, and TM see it as a problem, nothing will change. St. Louis admitted that they had a problem - they've been on a tear ever since. A few years ago, Pittsburgh realized that they had a problem when their team was around .500 with all of that talent - coaching change completely turned around the team and they won the Cup without a huge turnover in personnel.

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 06:51 PM
  #96
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
I think one part of this whole premise that you're not seeing is that many of us aren't looking at this as just 20 games, but at the entire TM reign.

Their GFA

2008/9 season was 2.52 - 27th place
2009/10 season was 2.94 - T9th place (primarily due to Doughty and Simmonds)
20010/11 season was 2.67 - 25th place
20011/12 season is 2.45 - 24th place

If Doughty and Simmonds didn't get hot that year, the Kings would have been right around 2.6 that season also. That's essentially 3 1/4 seasons of offense that hasn't improved even though the personnel has improved AND matured - with no glaring signs of improvement that I can see.

I don't remember who said it, but the team isn't playing to win - they are playing not to lose. When the defense is able to do their job and they don't get any bad bounces, they can be competitive, but if ANYTHING unexpected happens, whether a defensive lapse or even just a bad goal or two, this team rarely is able to muster the offense to come back.

Looking at it this way, the problem is systemic and glaring - and totally fixable, but until AEG, DL, and TM see it as a problem, nothing will change. St. Louis admitted that they had a problem - they've been on a tear ever since. A few years ago, Pittsburgh realized that they had a problem when their team was around .500 with all of that talent - coaching change completely turned around the team and they won the Cup without a huge turnover in personnel.
I agree.

Now will Dean realize his brand of Hockey doesn't provide offense? Who knows.

But as much flak as Terry Murray gets, people need to remember that Dean Lombardi Believes this type of Hockey WINS win it matters most. It's starts from the top down. Murray didn't make up all those terms (Culture changer, play the game the right way blah blah). That was Dean Lombardi, Terry just happens to agree with it.

damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 06:54 PM
  #97
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I agree.

Now will Dean realize his brand of Hockey doesn't provide offense? Who knows.

But as much flak as Terry Murray gets, people need to remember that Dean Lombardi Believes this type of Hockey WINS win it matters most.
Where is the link to these quotes? I don't remember Dean saying offense doesn't win games when it matters. He has access to all the stats we do and offense is clearly a requirement for playoff success.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 06:54 PM
  #98
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 8,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
I think one part of this whole premise that you're not seeing is that many of us aren't looking at this as just 20 games, but at the entire TM reign.

Their GFA

2008/9 season was 2.52 - 27th place
2009/10 season was 2.94 - T9th place (primarily due to Doughty and Simmonds)
20010/11 season was 2.67 - 25th place
20011/12 season is 2.45 - 24th place

If Doughty and Simmonds didn't get hot that year, the Kings would have been right around 2.6 that season also. That's essentially 3 1/4 seasons of offense that hasn't improved even though the personnel has improved AND matured - with no glaring signs of improvement that I can see.

I don't remember who said it, but the team isn't playing to win - they are playing not to lose. When the defense is able to do their job and they don't get any bad bounces, they can be competitive, but if ANYTHING unexpected happens, whether a defensive lapse or even just a bad goal or two, this team rarely is able to muster the offense to come back.

Looking at it this way, the problem is systemic and glaring - and totally fixable, but until AEG, DL, and TM see it as a problem, nothing will change. St. Louis admitted that they had a problem - they've been on a tear ever since. A few years ago, Pittsburgh realized that they had a problem when their team was around .500 with all of that talent - coaching change completely turned around the team and they won the Cup without a huge turnover in personnel.
PSP, with all do respect, I took the time to post the Kings 5 on 5 numbers, PP/PK numbers since the lockout along with the all of the teams that won the Cup since the lockout earlier this year. I'm very aware of the issue at hand. From all accounts so are both DL and TM. If TM can't get the team past the first round, he will be gone, if he even makes it that far.\

All I'm saying is I don't care what history says, 20 games into the season I don't believe the Kings will finish 27th in 5 on 5 scoring. Remember how everyone claimed that Kompon was the reason for the teams failures? Last year they were 17th in 5 on 5 scoring and if they were able to be in the top 10 on the PP, they would have been around 15th in the league in scoring. This year they are having the opposite problem. Now if TM can manage to pull the 5 on 5 scoring to the middle of pack and the PP stays top 10, the Kings will be in good shape and I think some of you guys will be singing a different tune come playoff time.


Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 11-21-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 07:07 PM
  #99
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 10,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
PSP, with all do respect, I took the time to post the Kings 5 on 5 numbers, PP/PK numbers since the lockout along with the all of the teams that won the Cup since the lockout earlier this year. I'm very aware of the issue at hand. From all accounts so are both DL and TM. If TM can't get the team past the first round, he will be gone, if he even makes it that far.\

All I'm saying is I don't care what history says, 20 games into the season I don't believe the Kings will finish 27th in 5 on 5 scoring. Remember how everyone claimed that Kompon was the reason for the teams failures? Last year they were 17th in 5 on 5 scoring and if they were able to be in the top 10 on the PP, they would have been around 15th in the league in scoring. This year they are having the opposite problem. Now if TM can manage to pull the 5 on 5 scoring to the middle of pack and the PP stays top 10, the Kings will be in good shape and I think some of you guys will be singing a different tune come playoff time.

Well no one is really counting the Piss poor play of the bottom six as well. I mean really.... Who predicted the bottom six playing this bad? WHO ?

Now you can say Terry Murray blah blah. But the top two lines are scoring(They have the most skill as well). But that Bottom Six is just awful right now. AWFUL.

Were would the Kings be right now in 5 on 5 scoring if that Bottom Six would just be Average?

damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 07:18 PM
  #100
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 13,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Well no one is really counting the Piss poor play of the bottom six as well. I mean really.... Who predicted the bottom six playing this bad? WHO ?
::Raises Hand::

I did. But other than Kurri no one else thinks less of Jarret Stoll's game than I do. But I must admit not even I thought he would be this pitiful.

And Damacles, as soon as I heard the Kings were strongly considering playing Moreau at 3rd line RW I knew we had major major issues on that line. This is a guy who was the worst player on Columbus last year, no one wanted him this summer, we sign him for barely the league minimum and suddenly he is our 3rd line rw?

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.