HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

(Quest For Knowledge Edition) G19. Coyotes @ Capitals. 11/21/11. Verizon Center. 7pm.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-21-2011, 02:38 PM
  #51
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
I would say close to two years now. He had two greats season as his break out. This then he can not hold up with the other teams pounding him. They know his game dropes way off banged up. And these days he cant even stay on the ice.
At least this is happening BEFORE his UFA deal.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:45 PM
  #52
Monty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Hunter would be a popular choice, not sure of its the right one.
According to Damien Cox in the book "The Ovechkin Project" Dale Hunter was the other option that GMGM was seriously considering as the coach when Hanlon was replaced by Boudreau. GMGM tabbed Boudreau because at that time he was only thinking of him as an interim coach, he was already in the Caps system and so could step in quickly, and had coached and knew many of the players. But GMGM continued evaluating who would be the permanent coach, until the Caps with Boudreau behind the bench began winning so frequently that GM ended the future coach evaluation and made Boudreau the full-time coach.

(And before anyone attacks me and this statement, I am only reiterating what was written in the book. No I don't know if Hunter was really the only other coach GMGM strongly considered to replace Hanlon. And yes, there were some glaring inaccuracies in the book - the most surprising was that Cox wrote that Theo made that electrifying save on Crosby in the infamous Snowmagedeon game (it was Varly), and then to make matters worse reiterated late in the book that it was sad that the Caps let Theo go given his memorable save in that game. If Cox had let even a casual Caps fan read the manuscript before its publication, they would have noticed that error).

Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:46 PM
  #53
Dream Big
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post


Orlov debuts, Semin sits?
Ha ha That was entertaining.

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:47 PM
  #54
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
What is the point of sitting Semin? Seriously. Has he played any worse than the rest of this team?
Do we know for sure he will be benched? Source?

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:54 PM
  #55
sunnydaycrash
Registered User
 
sunnydaycrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,712
vCash: 500
anyone else find it strange that no one showed up for the optional skate this morning?

I dunno, you`d think someone would show up, makes you wonder if it`s a team decision not to show up at all.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:56 PM
  #56
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!
 
brs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 12,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
According to Damien Cox in the book "The Ovechkin Project" Dale Hunter was the other option that GMGM was seriously considering as the coach when Hanlon was replaced by Boudreau. GMGM tabbed Boudreau because at that time he was only thinking of him as an interim coach, he was already in the Caps system and so could step in quickly, and had coached and knew many of the players. But GMGM continued evaluating who would be the permanent coach, until the Caps with Boudreau behind the bench began winning so frequently that GM ended the future coach evaluation and made Boudreau the full-time coach.

(And before anyone attacks me and this statement, I am only reiterating what was written in the book. No I don't know if Hunter was really the only other coach GMGM strongly considered to replace Hanlon. And yes, there were some glaring inaccuracies in the book - the most surprising was that Cox wrote that Theo made that electrifying save on Crosby in the infamous Snowmagedeon game (it was Varly), and then to make matters worse reiterated late in the book that it was sad that the Caps let Theo go given his memorable save in that game. If Cox had let even a casual Caps fan read the manuscript before its publication, they would have noticed that error).
Well there's your problem.

(And yes, I read to the end of the post, just sayin')

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:56 PM
  #57
um
Registered User
 
um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,121
vCash: 500
i hope semin doesnt sit, he hasnt looked worse than the rest of the team, i rather ovechkin sit

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 02:57 PM
  #58
mrwarden
Nothing Witty
 
mrwarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 8,983
vCash: 500
It is way too funny that people want to fire Bruce a hire a coach who finished dead last in his OHL division last year.

__________________
mrwarden is in ur threads, deleting ur posts
mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:04 PM
  #59
MiSe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
It is way too funny that people want to fire Bruce a hire a coach who finished dead last in his OHL division last year.
I looked at this yeserday as well, he really hasn't had a good year since his Memorial Cup and the year after, which makes sense if GMGM was considering him after Hanlon, giving his most recent success.

I think most people, much like last year, are caught up in the success Pittsburgh had and Philthy with thier midseason coaching changes and the results that stemed from such a change.

MiSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:06 PM
  #60
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,285
vCash: 50
I miss Boyd Gordon. His old pickup truck would have been at kettler today. I think its telling that "no one showed. No one...

What's he mean, "No one showed"?
They didn't show.
Nobody! The punks didn't show.
The girl didn't show, the townspeople didn't show.
Nobody showed!
We're screwed!

One of my favorite movies from back in the day.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:07 PM
  #61
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 28,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
anyone else find it strange that no one showed up for the optional skate this morning?
No. Not at all.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:11 PM
  #62
Capsman
Registered User
 
Capsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSe View Post
I looked at this yeserday as well, he really hasn't had a good year since his Memorial Cup and the year after, which makes sense if GMGM was considering him after Hanlon, giving his most recent success.

I think most people, much like last year, are caught up in the success Pittsburgh had and Philthy with thier midseason coaching changes and the results that stemed from such a change.
That's like saying most people got caught up in the success the Caps had when Tyler Sloan didn't play. Ummm, yeah, and your point is? Upgrading something that is broken doesn't require a astrophycisist to understand.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:11 PM
  #63
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,389
vCash: 500
How many optional work days do you go into the office for?

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:15 PM
  #64
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,816
vCash: 500
my wife, a non union public school teacher in north carolina, gets 6 optional work days during each school year.

edit: was it just me or did vogel throw ovechkin under the bus on precap today?


Last edited by txpd: 11-21-2011 at 03:25 PM.
txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:22 PM
  #65
Dirtbag59
Registered User
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
It is way too funny that people want to fire Bruce a hire a coach who finished dead last in his OHL division last year.
I was thinking that last year when people were suggesting Hunter during the Tampa series. Looking at his coaching record over the last four years he's lost in the 1st, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st round respectively. I can understand the desire for Mueller but is it possible to raid another teams minor league affiliate for coaches?

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:26 PM
  #66
Monty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I'll be surprised if Mafki pulls the trigger on Bruce before trying to make a trade to shake things up. Or before allowing Green to come back 100%.

Its not even close the defcon status anyways. Not yet.
I agree with a number of posters that I just can’t envision GMGM canning Boudreau until, at a minimum, this poor play goes on for quite a number more games for the various reasons (e.g., loyalty, missing Green, season has ups and downs, etc.) cited by other posters.

Perhaps someone has also mentioned this, but another reason that I would think might cause GMGM to hesitate in canning Boudreau if this goes on, is how bad it would look for GMGM to now can Bruce less than a third into the season. GMGM strikes me as hard-headed, and he would have to be. Because if he were to now fire Bruce, after so many in the media (but not all) were opining that he should do so after the playoff loss to Tampa, he would be roasted alive by the media (and many Caps fans) for doing so haphazardly in the midst of the season, rather than the off-season when selecting the new coach could have been done slowly and systematically, and the new coach would have the summer and training camp to be ready for this role with the Caps.

Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:27 PM
  #67
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 11,797
vCash: 500
Bruce's whole "accountability" act this year seems like too little, too late, and I've been ready to get rid of him since last year's playoffs. Coaching is about getting the most out of the team you have, and I really think this team is too talented to lose the way they have been lately. Maybe that's my homer glasses, but I don't think so. Most hockey people were impressed with the roster from day 1 this season.

I do have to wonder who his replacement would be. I'm glad Hitch is no longer available. I've never liked that guy as a coach.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:33 PM
  #68
bonzilla
Registered User
 
bonzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Va
Country: United States
Posts: 846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
It's called the "Slow-Mo-Fo Defense deal".... I hear that Subway is suing for the rights to use that saying as it was implied in their 5....5 dollar slogan.
..it would be funny if it wasn't us.

On hiring DH as coach..I've always viewed that as GM's final panic button.

Once Dale is deployed there is no more organizational man-god to save the franchise from total doom. If Dale fails, GM would surely be gone and Dale would become another mojo-less retired jersey.

Better to let Dale remain on his pedistal.

MacT anyone?

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:35 PM
  #69
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Caps/Avs/Bills fan
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,037
vCash: 50
I'm sure he's already in the process of luring Scotty Bowman out of retirement.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:36 PM
  #70
Dirtbag59
Registered User
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Bruce's whole "accountability" act this year seems like too little, too late, and I've been ready to get rid of him since last year's playoffs. Coaching is about getting the most out of the team you have, and I really think this team is too talented to lose the way they have been lately. Maybe that's my homer glasses, but I don't think so. Most hockey people were impressed with the roster from day 1 this season.

I do have to wonder who his replacement would be. I'm glad Hitch is no longer available. I've never liked that guy as a coach.
Not to crazy about Keenan either. If they do go through with a change, which again I doubt they do, Woods seems like the favorite for the interim. No idea how they see Mueller but he seems like the type of guy that would succeed here.

I know the old school types don't want to hear it but with the current generation, in your face control freak coaches don't usually work at the pro level, maybe for wide eyed impressionable kids playing in the CHL but for pro's that know they're good and are getting paid more then their boss you need someone who can balance both discipline and diplomacy especially with this group of players. The only other exception for a hard nosed old school coach would be someone with an exceptional pedigree, the hockey equivalent of Bill Parcells.

Either way GMGM not giving BB a vote of confidence seems like an ominous sign for Bruce.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:39 PM
  #71
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
usiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Malaz City
Country: San Marino
Posts: 9,812
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
anyone else find it strange that no one showed up for the optional skate this morning?

I dunno, you`d think someone would show up, makes you wonder if it`s a team decision not to show up at all.
They had a hard practice on Sunday so not surprised.

__________________
True Story™®©
usiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:40 PM
  #72
mrwarden
Nothing Witty
 
mrwarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 8,983
vCash: 500
Woods is a Bruce disciple. That would be moronic.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:42 PM
  #73
Dirtbag59
Registered User
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Woods is a Bruce disciple. That would be moronic.
Would he juggle the lines like theres no tomorrow? If the answer is no I would consider him a huge upgrade.

Still it seems like the most likely move if BB gets canned early. I just can't see McPhee going outside the organization a quarter through the season to find a coach, but then again I can't see him firing BB midseason in the first place.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:42 PM
  #74
MiSe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
That's like saying most people got caught up in the success the Caps had when Tyler Sloan didn't play. Ummm, yeah, and your point is? Upgrading something that is broken doesn't require a astrophycisist to understand.
My point is that more mid-season coaching changes turn out like Tocchet replacing Melrose rather than Bylsma replacing Therrien, and that the "feel-good stories of the Pens and Flyers" from the years they replaced their coaches are more of an anomaly than the standard.

Just because you replace Bruce, with all the talent we have, doesn't mean we're automatically going to start winning in the playoffs and make it to the Finals. That was my point.

Get rid of Semin, shake the team up and see what happens, worse comes to worse, you get something for the kid while we would lose him at the end of the year anyways.

MiSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 03:46 PM
  #75
mrwarden
Nothing Witty
 
mrwarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 8,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Would he juggle the lines like theres no tomorrow? If the answer is no I would consider him a huge upgrade.

Still it seems like the most likely move if BB gets canned early. I just can't see McPhee going outside the organization a quarter through the season to find a coach, but then again I can't see him firing BB midseason in the first place.
If you think line inconsistency is causing our problems, I'm afraid you're in for a very nasty surprise.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.