HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Is Bourdon capable of being 5-6 defender?

Old
12-10-2011, 10:18 PM
SillyPhilly

vCash: 500
Is Bourdon capable of being 5-6 defender?

After seeing alot of negativity over his development the past couple of years, he hasnt really looked that bad in the NHL. I was just wondering what other people thought of him.

SillyPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:43 PM
BringBackStevens

He's played like a #5 IMO over the past few games. Hopefully he can keep that up. Would be a big boost

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:45 PM
ELab2

Right now he's playing like one. He's started to open his game up a little bit, which I think will be the big tests, and it really hasn't hurt him. But it takes time to tell with these guys and he doesn't exactly come in as a byproduct of his amazing AHL.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:45 PM
JVR21
G

If he keeps it up, he sure is.

JVR21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:59 PM
BernieParent

Considering how low Bourdon was buried in the depth chart, he's been a very pleasant surprise to date. Hands up, everyone who anticipated a 5-game winning streak with Pronger out and Bourdon and Marshall playing with the big club?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:21 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
He has earned the opportunity to stick. Or at least be given more of an opportunity.

I don't think even the Flyers themselves were planning on Bourdon getting any type of chance. The negativity stemmed from that very thing. They were very adamant by their actions that he and Marshall weren't going to be given a real opportunity, but their hand was forced. Maybe Bourdon should have been given a chance in the past as well.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
When i read all his scouting reports , the reports made him seem like a smooth skating PMD .

But when you look at him he he is a husky guy listed at 6'0 225. That is pretty compact. He doesnt skate so well either but the guy is a bruiser for sure. Reminds me of mini mezaros. As long as we have competent play from our top 4 guys he and whoever else can steal minutes for us. Im more intrested in seeing how Gus plays because i think he has a legit chance to replace Carle next year.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 12:29 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
When i read all his scouting reports , the reports made him seem like a smooth skating PMD .

But when you look at him he he is a husky guy listed at 6'0 225. That is pretty compact. He doesnt skate so well either but the guy is a bruiser for sure. Reminds me of mini mezaros. As long as we have competent play from our top 4 guys he and whoever else can steal minutes for us. Im more intrested in seeing how Gus plays because i think he has a legit chance to replace Carle next year.
Going back to his Jr. days, he was always built like a tank and had good hands. He ran the PP and crushed guys with checks, but his skating was a weakness.

He is not fast and had real problems going backward and turning, so he was getting beat a lot to the outside. It didn't seem to be getting better but he looks better this year than he did in the past.

I didn't think he was ever going to play in the NHL because of it, but he's getting a chance now and doing OK. He still steps up and forces the play a lot, when he realizes he doesn't have the backward speed to back in with the rush, so he's vulnerable to getting caught up ice on chip ins.

Whether he's an NHL regular long term is hard to say right now.

Marshall has also looked pretty good in the Pens game. He is competing, although his skating isn't the greatest either.

As you say, as long as the top 4 stay healthy, we just need to get decent minutes from the bottom guys, so I think Homer can ride it out with this group for now, perhaps giving Walker a couple games too.

Depending on Pronger's diagnosis and an idea of return date, this group should be able to hold the fort until Gus gets back. After that, if Pronger is out for the year, they need to add someone.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 01:20 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Considering how low Bourdon was buried in the depth chart, he's been a very pleasant surprise to date. Hands up, everyone who anticipated a 5-game winning streak with Pronger out and Bourdon and Marshall playing with the big club?
Yeah, I don't think anyone saw this coming. Bourdon was what, 11th on the depth chart or something?

I don't know if I would like to bank on him keeping up this kind of play over a full season, but it's good to know that we have some options in our system. One of Gustafsson, Bartulis, Bourdon and Marshall should be able to get the 6th spot for next season though. It's good that there will be competition for that spot.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 03:09 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Yeah, I don't think anyone saw this coming. Bourdon was what, 11th on the depth chart or something?

I don't know if I would like to bank on him keeping up this kind of play over a full season, but it's good to know that we have some options in our system. One of Gustafsson, Bartulis, Bourdon and Marshall should be able to get the 6th spot for next season though. It's good that there will be competition for that spot.
It's not really predictable imho. Bartulis has played a pile of games, even in the playoffs, and has looked solid but has dropped significantly this season.
Consistency is the key when it comes to solidify a roster spot.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 03:36 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
It's not really predictable imho. Bartulis has played a pile of games, even in the playoffs, and has looked solid but has dropped significantly this season.
Consistency is the key when it comes to solidify a roster spot.
Yeah, I agree. I just assume that we will have Lilja around for next year as well, and one of them should be able to outcompete him so that he is watching from the press box most nights. I thought Gustafsson looked pretty decent right before he got injured, and now Bourdon shows some promise. If Bartulis can have a (mostly) healthy season this time around, he should come back a little stronger for next camp even though he's spent the year in the AHL.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking...

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 03:45 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I will say this about Bourdon, damn good job by him.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 07:28 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Going back to his Jr. days, he was always built like a tank and had good hands. He ran the PP and crushed guys with checks, but his skating was a weakness.

He is not fast and had real problems going backward and turning, so he was getting beat a lot to the outside. It didn't seem to be getting better but he looks better this year than he did in the past.

I didn't think he was ever going to play in the NHL because of it, but he's getting a chance now and doing OK. He still steps up and forces the play a lot, when he realizes he doesn't have the backward speed to back in with the rush, so he's vulnerable to getting caught up ice on chip ins.

Whether he's an NHL regular long term is hard to say right now.

Marshall has also looked pretty good in the Pens game. He is competing, although his skating isn't the greatest either.

As you say, as long as the top 4 stay healthy, we just need to get decent minutes from the bottom guys, so I think Homer can ride it out with this group for now, perhaps giving Walker a couple games too.

Depending on Pronger's diagnosis and an idea of return date, this group should be able to hold the fort until Gus gets back. After that, if Pronger is out for the year, they need to add someone.
The thing I'm noticing w/ Bourdon is that while he's definitely slower than most defensemen, he seems to be able to compensate for it with excellent positioning and a knack for knowing when to step up on a guy and when to hang back. He hasn't really gotten beaten to the outside all that much. He has been nothing short of a solid defenseman.

And he really does have a nice booming shot.

Now Marshall on the other hand... he's been much more noticeably bad. Not bad for the 8th or 9th guy on our depth chart, but not good either. You notice his lack of speed a lot more as he's taken some penalties as a result of it. He's also been beaten several times. I don't think he's a legit NHL defenseman. He's a fringe guy, a guy you only rely on if your team is in crisis.

But Bourdon? I could see him being a legit #5. I used to cringe when Lilja stepped on the ice. For a time this year, I cringed when Carle stepped on the ice. But w/ Bourdon?!? That just doesn't happen. There's no need for it. He has played solid and has earned my trust. He deserves a chance to stick.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 08:31 AM
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow

And you all thought I was crazy

SeanL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 09:26 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Both are playing well. No need to trade for a D man right now, let the young guys develop when they get a chance with injury call ups.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Mosetter27

I'm hoping our future D is Bartullis, Gustafsson & Bourdron...

Mosetter27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Bort Sampson

He's not the fastest skater in the world, but he anticipates the play well and is sound positionally(two important factors for defensemen). He's also very strong on his skates. He gets to where he needs to be, and keeps speedsters towards the outside. His play along the boards is very good. Once he gets his feet underneath him in the NHL, it'd be nice to see if he can pick up his offensive game.

Also, given that Marshall and Bourdon are pretty tough, I'd say they've played Walker off the team.

Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 10:05 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I honestly can't believe how good he has been considering his performances in the AHL. I was never expecting this guy to ever make an NHL roster. Not only has he done that, but he's shouldered some big responsibilities and played very, very well.

Keep it up bourdon!

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 10:54 AM
phlocky

Yes, he's already doing it so I don't see why it's even being asked. Marshall has been a dissapointment since being drafted but MAB has progressed pretty much as expected. IMO he's just about ready to stick as a bottom pairing guy. He's certainly a capable injury fill-in on the bottom pairing for this year and he should be capable of being a regular full time roster bottom pairing guy next season. He's done nothing in his time with the Flyers this sear filling in to prove otherwise.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Lucky Luke

He's like Doug Murray but with some hockey sense.

Lucky Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:12 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Playoffs make or break these type of fringe players. He has been serviceable so far, but it has been a very small sample.

Come the 30-40 game mark, when the adrenaline has worn off; that will be when you can really see if he is a capable 5-6th defenseman.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:13 AM
phlocky

Also, all these "trade a bottom pairing dman to philly" thread are just plaing rediculous. The guys being proposed in these threads really aren't much of an improvement on Gustafsson, MAB or Marshall and we CERTAINLY shouldn't be trading someone like Simmonds or Voracek for any of them. I've also seem way too many threads where we trade our 1st for a prospect that PROJECTS to be another Matt Carle clone if he reaches his full potneital (2nd pairing PMD with at best average play in his own zone). Why the hell would we give up ANYTHING for those type of prospects when we could just resign Matt Carle for free and still have the better player.

For all you Matt Carle haters out there, I can't imagine just how insane you'd go if some of your "wishes" actually came true and you had to live with your "replacement" for Carle logging the minutes Carle does and against the same opponets Carle does.

When Carle is asked to do just what he is capable of realistically doing he's fine (complimentary piece on the top pairing along side someone like Pronger, lead the 2nd pairing with a strong defensive partenr) but when he's EXPECTED to fill the void left by a Chris Pronger you are going to be sorely dissapointed.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:17 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

A couple years back I was looking at Marshall and Bourdon coming out of the Q and thinking what a solid pairing they could be together for the Flyers down the road. Both excelled in different areas of the game but both could hit.

While it looked bad as recently as training camp, I have to say I'm very pleased.

But....we were happy with Bartulis once upon a time. Let's give this some time, but I'd say if you include Gustafsson with these two and we potentially have a solid young core long term on the blueline.

We still need a future #1 though.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Hmm, I very happy with the way he is playing. In order to do well in the playoffs you need to have depth on your blue line, in which if their young defenders keep on playing this way they definitively will have.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:43 AM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Aside from everything mentioned (unless this was mentioned, in which case I'm dumb), but I think he's looked really good in the offensive zone, as well. He hooked up with G numerous times, and seems to keep the play alive very well.

I'm personally pulling for him since he hung out with me and my friends for around a half hour at a preseason game last year and is a really cool dude, but I genuinely think he's been a solid addition and has looked really good so far.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote