HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Feb 8 update posted: Pronger (concussion) likely out for the season

Old
12-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
I think we all should just calm down until Pronger is evaluated by the concussion doctor out in Pittsburgh. Once we know the degree of what he is going through, then go get a dman if its gonna be a long way back. This team has been playing great hockey recently and there is no need to hit the panic button on a player being out who hasn't been in there for over half the season so far. The Flyers also just refilled their prosepct cupboard with the trades over the summer, I don't think he will be trading any big pieces away for a star dman. If they get someone, I believe it will be more like a #4 or #5 dman that he will acquire with the extra draft picks we have.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:36 PM
LePalle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Well without a healthy Pronger and with Timonen getting ridden into the ground like we've always allowed like with Howe and Desjardins..I would say on the back end we do need to plan for contingencies. The D can hold up for now as they are doing but not for much longer. Guys are playing lots of increased minutes like Carle and Timonen. Carle can't sustain his level of play b/c well...he's Carle and Timonen is not a spring chicken obviously. Mesz and Coburn might hold up b/c they are younger but beyond that the immediate future and long term future with the way our D is consituted now is not encouraging. Need to look beyond what is going on now which is great but not likely sustainable.

No matter what, they need to add an impact D man prior to the trade deadline in some way....may have to give up more than we like given the premium on D around the league right now
I would definitely hope that GM-wise we look to acquire an upgrade on our defense if possible.

But soon enough, we will have: Timonen, Coburn, Meszaros, Carle, Gustafsson, Lilja, Bourdon, Marshall, and Walker. Even if no trade is made, we have plenty of guys that can step in and to be honest, Timonen is the only guy who's gonna be worn down, Coburn, Mesz, and Carle are young still. Every so often you can overwork one or two of those guys.

Timonen-Coburn
Carle-Bourdon
Meszaros-Gustafsson

With Bryz hopefully improving and our offense being the best in the league, I think that defense is good enough. Especially if Timonen can keep up his level of play, because he has been amazing this season. It's not ideal, and I prefer we pick someone up somehow, but I think it can get the job done.

LePalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Any word when Gus gets back? I think we can hold the fort with a gus/ MAB third pairing. But Marshall has to go.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:41 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Transference of Carter and Richards ********.
Hardly, but thanks for coming out. Kimmo had stated last year that he may retire after this season. If he does that, we get nothing but cap space. I'm looking at this team right now and can't see them beating Boston or Pittsburgh in a best of 7 series. The old guys (Timonen, Pronger, Jagr and Briere) are a lot older than the core you want to keep intact. Coburn is the next best dman which is scary and it gets worse with Carle and Mez. If the defence was stronger and younger it wouldn't be a huge deal but it's a problem going forward.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Any word when Gus gets back? I think we can hold the fort with a gus/ MAB third pairing. But Marshall has to go.
Still a few weeks away Sam Carchidi said

Old
12-09-2011, 01:42 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I know the popular thing seems to be Weber or Suter from Nashville, but what about a guy like Kevin Klein? He can come in, play 20+ minutes and he's a mean SOB as well. Could be a great fit for a guy like Carle to roam more freely on offense. As well, acquiring a guy like Klein isn't going to rip the team apart in terms of assets like prospects and draft picks.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Hardly, but thanks for coming out. Kimmo had stated last year that he may retire after this season. If he does that, we get nothing but cap space. I'm looking at this team right now and can't see them beating Boston or Pittsburgh in a best of 7 series. The old guys (Timonen, Pronger, Jagr and Briere) are a lot older than the core you want to keep intact. Coburn is the next best dman which is scary and it gets worse with Carle and Mez. If the defence was stronger and younger it wouldn't be a huge deal but it's a problem going forward.
Can someone please link to me where Kimmo said this! I asked before and didn't get one and can't find one myself. I remember him saying he might retire after his contract is up but not after this year?

Old
12-09-2011, 01:45 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

We don't need a top guy but we need decent defensive defenseman that can play a shutdown role. Also the guys that were in the farm system are getting looks. MAB looks very solid. Marshall will be a career AHLer. I'm eager to see when Gus will get back. This team is doing fine without Pronger. It's a blow to the team and back end but **** happens. No excuses.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:47 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I know the popular thing seems to be Weber or Suter from Nashville, but what about a guy like Kevin Klein? He can come in, play 20+ minutes and he's a mean SOB as well. Could be a great fit for a guy like Carle to roam more freely on offense. As well, acquiring a guy like Klein isn't going to rip the team apart in terms of assets like prospects and draft picks.
The whole point in going after a dman if you look at it not only for this season but longterm beyond is to replace Kimo and Prongs down the road. In this scenario Kevin Klein isn't a good fit.

If you talk about going in a another direction with your fifth defender, yeah why not change Carle for Klein (won't trade them for each other obviously).

If you look around the league, there's really only the Nashville-duo which might become availabe in terms of elite defenders, so one of them is probably our safest bet right now.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:48 PM
brucewaynegretzky

Quote:
Also look to Calgary who is likely to be a seller come deadline time.

brucewaynegretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:51 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewaynegretzky View Post
Also look to Calgary who is likely to be a seller come deadline time.
Yeah, but other than Hannan, I don't know who else from Calgary the Flyers can afford. We all know Bouwmeester is out of the question and with Giordanno and his torn tendons in his quadricep, he's going to be out for a while. That leaves Sarich, who is slower than molasses and not much else.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:51 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I hope this doesn't mean panic trade, I'd rather go with the guys we got and rather not shoot ourselves in the future foot further
Ya the frogs made a panic move today,

BleedOrange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Snipsnap12

If pronger is out for the year do we go after Suter or Weber? Adding either one of those guys could mean deep run vs early exit.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Yeah, but other than Hannan, I don't know who else from Calgary the Flyers can afford. We all know Bouwmeester is out of the question and with Giordanno and his torn tendons in his quadricep, he's going to be out for a while. That leaves Sarich, who is slower than molasses and not much else.
I dont think Bouwmeester is out of the question. Especially if Kimmo does retire.

Old
12-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoowa View Post
We're giving up on the season after taking over the #1 spot?
seriously.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:01 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Please, no Klein, the guy sucks I'm sure we can get an average defenseman who creates turnovers from our own talent pool.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:04 PM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Eh. I don't see this team beating a healthy Pittsburgh, or Boston. Without Pronger the odds are even slimmer.
Me neither.

But chances are slim for those teams to get and/or stay healthy as well now that concussions are happening left and right every week. Good teams find a way to compensate the losses. Boston didn't have a perfectly healthy roster all year and still won the cup.

However, I agree that the Flyers need to go after a rental player to bulk up their defense rather sooner than later.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Can someone please link to me where Kimmo said this! I asked before and didn't get one and can't find one myself. I remember him saying he might retire after his contract is up but not after this year?
i dont remember what interview he said it in, but i def. remember him saying it..

i'd bet the farm he calls it a career after this season.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:11 PM
dookie88

Quote:
I dont think Bouwmeester is out of the question. Especially if Kimmo does retire.
I want no piece of Bouwmeester!
Giordano would in fact be the only guy they have on the blueline, and his knee is toast.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:13 PM
decadentia

Quote:
He makes almost 7 million and is widely known to play "soft" for a big man, I think it was Michael Peca who personally said he was never intimidating to play against, and most teamates used to like playing against him.

Their own fanbase complains about that contract, why would we help them out?

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Me neither.

But chances are slim for those teams to get and/or stay healthy as well now that concussions are happening left and right every week. Good teams find a way to compensate the losses. Boston didn't have a perfectly healthy roster all year and still won the cup.

However, I agree that the Flyers need to go after a rental player to bulk up their defense rather sooner than later.
Boston is the only team that scares me in the east... I dont see why we could not beat the pens in 7, but we do need pronger/pick up a top pairing guy if he is lost for the year.

That is so far away at this point though, a lot can happen from now and then.

Old
12-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
TB concerns me if they make the playoffs, since they own the Flyers.

12-09-2011, 02:17 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
i dont remember what interview he said it in, but i def. remember him saying it..

i'd bet the farm he calls it a career after this season.
Problem is that in this year's first installment of Meet the Flyers Timonen said he was going to play a couple of more years which included this year of course. I wouldn't bet the farm. He most likely will play out his contract unless he gets totally run into the ground this season.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
He makes almost 7 million and is widely known to play "soft" for a big man, I think it was Michael Peca who personally said he was never intimidating to play against, and most teamates used to like playing against him.

Their own fanbase complains about that contract, why would we help them out?

He makes 300,000 more than kimmo . He is a bit soft but the dude is a horse. Pencil him in for 25 minutes a game. He does not have any injury history and can keep up with a variety of speedy wingers. pair him with Mez so mez can handle what is in front of the net and Bouw can be our mobile defenseman.

Old
12-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
He makes 300,000 more than kimmo . He is a bit soft but the dude is a horse. Pencil him in for 25 minutes a game. He does not have any injury history and can keep up with a variety of speedy wingers. pair him with Mez so mez can handle what is in front of the net and Bouw can be our mobile defenseman.
JBo is so overated it is not even funny. I would be sick to my stomach if we gave up anything to swallow his inflated contract. He would probably crumble like a cheap lawn chair in philadelphia during the playoffs.

Please no.