HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Around the NHL 2011-12: Part II - Where'd You Get These Guys From, Ray? Mexico?

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2011, 02:10 PM
mpp9

vCash: 500
I would absolutely trade for Ovi. Up until recently, you could never fault the guy for lack of effort. He's just not cut out to be a captain. Let him be what he is, the best sniper in the game.

Never going to happen obviously.

Old
11-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Florentino Ariza

Don't know if this is common knowledge, but Sid was awarded another assist and now has 9 points in 4 games

Old
11-28-2011, 02:37 PM
JTG

Secondary Assist Sidney strikes again!

Old
11-28-2011, 02:42 PM
mpp9

I don't think too many non-Pens fans realize that last year Sid was putting up those numbers all on his own. He was playing otherworldly. If he can get his scoring touch back in the coming weeks coupled with a deeper offensive Pens team, dominant Geno and better PP, I'm not putting a ceiling on his production this year.

If there was ever a player that deserved more secondary assists than Sid, I'd like to know who.

Old
11-28-2011, 02:45 PM
JTG

So in 25 games, Sid will be 1st in the league in scoring.

Old
11-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Florentino Ariza

You look at his numbers so far and also those of last year and you automatically think he is on a hot streak. But when you watch the games...he just makes it look so easy and natural. I wouldn't be surprised if he kept up a nearly 2 point per game pace.

Old
11-28-2011, 03:09 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florentino Ariza View Post
You look at his numbers so far and also those of last year and you automatically think he is on a hot streak. But when you watch the games...he just makes it look so easy and natural. I wouldn't be surprised if he kept up a nearly 2 point per game pace.
That's what I'm saying. We've never seen Sid with a team like this. He's going to rack up secondary assists on our PP, shifts with a dominant Geno and a top tier goal scorer in Neal, let alone when he gets his timing back.

He's going to surprise people, again.

Old
11-28-2011, 03:16 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

In other recent news, Pronger's falling apart. I'm not going to shed any tears if that contract bites Philly in the ass.

Old
11-28-2011, 03:17 PM
mpp9

He'll likely be good to go for a playoff run even with recurring injuries this season, but it's still comical that he's on a 35+ contract.

Old
11-28-2011, 03:22 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Knee surgeries are not anything to sneeze at, as Malkin and Gonchar should know. I'm sure Pronger will be back, but I'm not sure he'll be as effective going forward.

Old
11-28-2011, 03:58 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Yeah... I get the feeling that Malkin is still struggling a little bit though his recovery process. And he's a young guy with a good amount of bounce-back ability. A guy like Pronger will have a much more difficult time rounding back into form. Knee injuries can easily derail and/or kill a career.

I had a feeling that that contract was going to be an albatross for Philly as soon as it was inked. Though I guess there's still plenty of time to find out...

Old
11-28-2011, 04:02 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I just find it odd that the Caps sort of started to slide a year ago when Boudreau asked the roster to become more defensive minded.
It was actually a bit before that. By the time they traded Fleischmann for Hannan and went into that December tailspin, he had already been putting parts of it in. What I don't get is even though he had more players to work with this year, why Boudreau didn't continue to give Backstrom and Semin work on the PK. Maybe he was trying to only get them to work on offense first, but it didn't seem to help to take away chunks of their ice time like that, even if it was small defensive responsibilities. Just seemed odd considering he wanted his players to be more defensive.

As for what happens now? Not even gonna speculate.

And sucks for the Caps since Carolina got their hands on Muller. Also sucks for the Preds since he was doing quite well for them as the AHL coach, but I doubt they're too shocked others were after him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post
Chris Pronger is hurt, again.
That flu sure is dangerous!

The Rangers WC jerseys were released. Gotta say I'm not a fan of cream jerseys.

Old
11-28-2011, 04:29 PM
High Flying Birds

I somewhat feared the day Boudreau got the sack. One thing I always thought the Caps were lacking was true leadership at the head coach position. Not sure if Hunter will bring that as I'm not familiar with him as a coach but if he can get the team going with all the talent they have, it's gonna be scary. A healthy Green would certainly help as well.

Old
11-28-2011, 06:14 PM
SirBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaJ View Post
It was actually a bit before that. By the time they traded Fleischmann for Hannan and went into that December tailspin, he had already been putting parts of it in. What I don't get is even though he had more players to work with this year, why Boudreau didn't continue to give Backstrom and Semin work on the PK. Maybe he was trying to only get them to work on offense first, but it didn't seem to help to take away chunks of their ice time like that, even if it was small defensive responsibilities. Just seemed odd considering he wanted his players to be more defensive.

As for what happens now? Not even gonna speculate.

And sucks for the Caps since Carolina got their hands on Muller. Also sucks for the Preds since he was doing quite well for them as the AHL coach, but I doubt they're too shocked others were after him.

That flu sure is dangerous!

The Rangers WC jerseys were released. Gotta say I'm not a fan of cream jerseys.
The cream is really starting to get overplayed in the NHL. The jerseys are alright. I gotta say, I like the Flyers jersey much more though.

Old
11-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Vega

Bobby Ryan is supposedly being shopped. I think it would be a mistake for the Ducks to move him.

Old
11-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
The Ducks need a shake-up...but dangling Ryan is a mistake.

The Ducks have a glut of insanely valuable players and no depth...but the problem with trading from that glut to improve the depth is that those insanely valuable players, outside Selanne, are young...very young. Getzlaf is Old Man Winter of that core in Anaheim...and he's 26...and he's also their captain, so he's obviously not on the table.

I just don't know why the Ducks wouldn't trade the graybeards on the roster instead. Mostly I'm just pointing to Visnovsky, who would have some good degree of value once he comes back...and at 35 with mounting injury problem probably isn't going to give Anaheim too much bang for their buck any more (basically betting on someone buying high on him...which is definitely possible with how limited the supply of top pairing PMDs are, especially a year removed from Visnovsky leading all defenders in points). Obvious exception is Selanne, who has earned the right to call his own play at this point of his career...only way he finishes his career with anyone but the Ducks is if he wants to end his career in the place he started it.

Of course it's all rumors at this point, so I wouldn't be surprised in the least to hear from Murray that he 'never considered' moving Ryan in a couple days.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 11-28-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old
11-28-2011, 11:09 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

I think it's very logical on their part.. who else would they trade? Certainly not Getzlaf/Perry/Hiller. That team desperately needs depth and defense.

Old
11-28-2011, 11:14 PM
TheRollingPuck
Free fallin'

Yeah, moving Ryan seems like the only realistic option outside of firing Carlyle.

Old
11-28-2011, 11:17 PM
Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
I think it's very logical on their part.. who else would they trade? Certainly not Getzlaf/Perry/Hiller. That team desperately needs depth and defense.
Not that is disagree with the needing depth part but, I'd change out the coaching staff before I'd consider getting rid of a young core player.

Old
11-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Ryan does seem like the trade chip that could bring a return big enough to fill some of their holes. I wouldn't do it unless I was overwhelmed, but if I got a good top 4 D-Man or a good 2nd line C plus a good prospect and/or good draft pick in that package, I might pull the trigger.

Old
11-28-2011, 11:27 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
Not that is disagree with the needing depth part but, I'd change out the coaching staff before I'd consider getting rid of a young core player.
That would make sense, but I'm not really sure who's left out there on the coaching front.. I guess Boohoodreau is out there now. Even with a new coach, I'm not sure they have the players able to get them far. Getzlaf and Perry had to come up huge last season to get the Ducks into the playoffs.

Old
11-28-2011, 11:33 PM
mpp9

I'd hope Shero is at least paying attention to what teams are making offers. I understand it's not his style to allow another team's actions affect his own managerial decisions but if Ryan goes to the Bruins, it's going to be quite difficult to get past them in the playoffs. Too many offensive weapons.

I'd do Staal for Ryan. There's plenty of defensive centers that can work quite well with Cooke/TK/Dupuis.

Old
11-28-2011, 11:46 PM
KaylaJ
Honey Bun

I can't imagine you'd have a lot of happy Ducks fans by trading Bobby Ryan esp before making a coaching change. Esp when watching the Ducks it is like watching the Caps. It is not just one thing, its a lot. Maybe after Hiller burns that Movember mask they'll be back to normal...

Old
11-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
That would make sense, but I'm not really sure who's left out there on the coaching front.. I guess Boohoodreau is out there now. Even with a new coach, I'm not sure they have the players able to get them far. Getzlaf and Perry had to come up huge last season to get the Ducks into the playoffs.
I don't think Dan Bylsma was on any Penguins fans' wishlist for replacing Therrien.

Finding the right coach is insanely hard, but this is a league where there's only a couple coaches that have such a high reputation that they're basically guaranteed a job somewhere...sometimes a change for change's sake is for the best. It sure as hell has less downside than trading a stud 24 year-old power forward does. Randy Carlyle is going to be a hell of a lot easier to replace than Bobby Ryan is going to be.

Carlyle won't be unemployed for long, but it's not exactly unheard of for a coach's message to start to become worn out when he's been with a team for a while. NHL teams go through coaches like tissues and Carlyle has coached every single post-lockout game for the Ducks...that's nearly 600 games with the playoffs included.

Old
11-29-2011, 12:12 AM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Ducks Shopping Bobby Ryan

Quote:
darenmillard Daren Millard
Doing the oilers/predators game @RealKyper told by an nhl exec that ducks r shopping bobby ryan. Wow. 2 wins in 18.
What do you guys think it would take for a team to snag him up? Even though I don't think Shero would make a move here, I'd frickin' love to have him on a line with either Sid or Geno.

Closed Thread