HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs dominate bruins. Lose 1-0

Closed Thread

Old
11-22-2011, 06:15 AM
Teufelsdreck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Meh... It sucks to lose but I cant say that the habs didnt have their chances. The team probably deserved a better fate but lets go through some of the positives...

1) Diaz and Emelin had their best game thus far as a pairing. If they can get some consistency out of these guys.... watch out

2) St Denis still looks like he belongs. I think he's already exceeded what the habs thought they were getting when they called him up.

3) Gomez has put together a couple strong games in a row. Also, I dont have the numbers but it seems like he's winning a lot of faceoffs lately... big plus there
Out of all the positives, it seems wrong that the habs came out with no points, but this type of game is a recipe to win alot of games, and there's so much help coming to look forward to. Its strange to say this say this after a loss, but I'm kinda getting excited about the prospects of this team.
Too bad the Habs couldn't score first.

Where was the Gomez laddie on the Ference goal? He arrived a bit late to backcheck, no? I mean, isn't a center supposed to do that? I'm afraid he's a straw man defensively as well as offensively. I'd advise him not to stand too close to an electric fan.

The only Hab who disappointed from the opening faceoff to the final buzzer was the overrated Pernell Karl Subban. The only useful thing he did was to receive a Pouliot high stick. Allstar? Superstar? I have my doubts.

As expected, Emelin made himself known. It would be a disgrace to sit him in favor of Gill (or either of the Swissies). I know, Martin can send St-Denis to Hamilton before he has to make a hard decision.

Old
11-22-2011, 06:50 AM
JOKER 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
Yeah, damn that Subban for diving and cutting himself on oxygen
1 Penalty,1 flop,0-0-0 all in a nights work Subban.

Old
11-22-2011, 06:57 AM
SeriousHabs

Guys I don't like the line combos, therefore the coach is bad. Had he played [offensively_challenged_player_4] instead of [offensively_challenged_player_7], we would have won!

Old
11-22-2011, 07:10 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOKER 192 View Post
1 Penalty,1 flop,0-0-0 all in a nights work Subban.
He was going to try and flop like bergeron did but he actually wanted the penalty call so he just forced himself to bleed.

Old
11-22-2011, 07:17 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
He was going to try and flop like bergeron did but he actually wanted the penalty call so he just forced himself to bleed.
Bergeron with a dive...all he was missing was a concussion and it would have been a classic Bergeron.

Old
11-22-2011, 07:20 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

How would you practice the finish?

Old
11-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Bergeron with a dive...all he was missing was a concussion and it would have been a classic Bergeron.
I am not sure if you are defending bergeron but he took a flop in the first in the corner trying to draw a call. Atleast subban got hit with a stick and bled for his flop.

Old
11-22-2011, 07:36 AM
b in vancouver

Not the best game between these two teams but definitely enjoyable. And simply the best rivalry - ever.

I agree with one of your posters who said that it annoys them when an opposing coach or player or fan says they played really sloppy or poorly as if the Habs forecheck, positioning and pursuit of the puck had nothing to do with it.

Having said that - I thought Marchand had a really poor game as he seemed to have the puck bounce off his stick and seemed to consistently commit unforced turnovers and that seemed to take Bergeron and Seguin out of the game more often then not. That line has been excellent for the Bruins lately.

I also had higher expectations for Lucic and Horton going into the game last night as they have the tendency to make young d-men skittish with the puck, get enough hits early in the game that by the 3rd period younger d-men cough up the puck consistently. They were trying but your d-men didn't fold at all. That's a definite thumbs up to your guys as during this run they've been able to create that pressure and burn-out the opposing team by taking the body.
The Habs definitely gave as good as they got last night.

Cole had a nice game last night. During the offseason I was saying that I thought your team needed to pick up Chuck Kobasew or a player just like that. You got him (probably the best of that style) Just someone to go north-south down the wing, rifle a shot every once in awhile, take the body, go to the front of the net. Could probably use another but I guess you have AK waiting to come back.

Price is still great.
I know a lot of you are saying Thomas stole the game, and I think that's fair, but I also think that despite the obvious advantage in play the Habs had - Thomas didn't have to be amazing. Your smaller forwards definitely had difficulty getting to some of the scrambly 2nd chances against the Bruins d-men.

Would be nice to see (for you guys, for the rivalry, not as a Bruins fan) your team find a way to pick up or develop that 'threat', that single player who steps on the ice and you have to be aware of him at all times.

Building a team n the East when you have Pitts, Wsh, Tb, Phil, loaded up with top-end offensive talent teams like Montreal and Boston have to have to make sure they play perfect team games with everyone pulling in the same direction. Boston is lucky enough to have that going for the past few years. While Montreal has a lot of cap space tied up in Gomez, Cammy and Markov which makes it even more difficult. I kind of hope to see a bit more of that high-flying counter-attack from your team that drove me insane for all those years.

Speaking of Markov - I hope he comes back soon and plays at a proper level but I definitely didn't agree with you guys re-signing him. I thought you needed to turn the page. That he would become a ready made excuse (not just for fans but also for players) that he would be a bit of a distraction, in and out of the line-up, taking 10 games to get back up to speed, then out again, or whatnot For your team's sake I hope I'm wrong.

Emelin looked - Fun. Subban seemed to be missing that gear but that might be because Gill is out.

I have more outsider stuff to say about your team but it's gotten way longer than I meant.

Anyways - I hope we get to see these teams against one another in the playoffs as that's the best two weeks of the year. I can't help but hate your team but respect them completely.

Old
11-22-2011, 07:40 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
I am not sure if you are defending bergeron but he took a flop in the first in the corner trying to draw a call. Atleast subban got hit with a stick and bled for his flop.
Not defending bergy at all, saw the dive. He's actually quite a big diver I don't know why he doesn't get called out on it more often...maybe its because other fan bases are not as obsessed with diving as Bruins fans are.

Old
11-22-2011, 07:50 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
The team played well but they were kept to the outside for the most part.
That ain't what the shot chart says, buddy.

At some point, the whole "kept to the outside" explanation has to go away. It applies in maybe 1% of the games it is applied to.

Old
11-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Protest the Hero

Subban keeps a blood pack in his mouth obviously, we all know he's never actually tripped or high sticked.

Old
11-22-2011, 08:05 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post

At some point, the whole "kept to the outside" explanation has to go away. It applies in maybe 1% of the games it is applied to.
God i hate people who say that. Agreed Mathman!

I also hate when people say : "We make him look like a superstar with only easy shots". That's ********, and I hoped Habs fan would know better.

The best goalies in the NHL make it LOOK easy. They always have good positioning and good technique. But it ain't easy, trust me on that.

The best systems usually makes the other team look bad, because they get beaten by what looks like predictability.

Our offensive puck control system can often skate rings around the opponent's defense because we are often a step ahead of them, the non-puck carriers know where to go to recover the puck easily or receive a clear pass.

Our defensive coverage makes the other team look incapable of achieving any play in our zone, because our players will systematically move the puck toward a pre-determined location, which, if there is a player there, can quickly send it back to well positioned forwards who can leverage a strong transition play.

Our goalie knows his defensemen and know what they'll try to do. Therefore, he knows with better likelihood the plays the opponent is allowed to do, and he will anticipate it properly.

All of these system, when done well, make the opponent look lazy, tired or predictable. They are not.

Old
11-22-2011, 08:09 AM
b in vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
God i hate people who say that. Agreed Mathman!

I also hate when people say : "We make him look like a superstar with only easy shots". That's ********, and I hoped Habs fan would know better.

The best goalies in the NHL make it LOOK easy. They always have good positioning and good technique. But it ain't easy, trust me on that.

The best systems usually makes the other team look bad, because they get beaten by what looks like predictability.

Our offensive puck control system can often skate rings around the opponent's defense because we are often a step ahead of them, the non-puck carriers know where to go to recover the puck easily or receive a clear pass.

Our defensive coverage makes the other team look incapable of achieving any play in our zone, because our players will systematically move the puck toward a pre-determined location, which, if there is a player there, can quickly send it back to well positioned forwards who can leverage a strong transition play.

Our goalie knows his defensemen and know what they'll try to do. Therefore, he knows with better likelihood the plays the opponent is allowed to do, and he will anticipate it properly.

All of these system, when done well, make the opponent look lazy, tired or predictable. They are not.
I wish I could press 'like' for this post.

Old
11-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post

I'm sure it does. I just don't think they had that many good chances.

What were the totals of quality scoring chances?

I think the team played fine but the Bruins did what they had to do. It wasn't the best performance from either side offensively IMO. Defensively the Habs played very well as Price had another very easy night. I don't think the defense gets enough credit to be honest. People say things like 'AHL defense', well I don't think that is true at all. These guys might not have a lot of experience but they can play.

The Habs were definitely the better team last night. That much is sure.

Last edited by Tuggy: 11-22-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old
11-22-2011, 08:16 AM
Protest the Hero

I thought St. Denis played better than Diaz last night too, and since he's been in the lineup I've noticed him less, which is usually a good thing. I know Diaz has the tougher matchups usually, but his play has gone down a level lately.

Old
11-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Darche has got to go.

Gomez too...

as for JM?

Playing those 2 guys on the PP should put his job in jeopardy.

Old
11-22-2011, 08:30 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
now if we can just stay healthy goddammit!

Old
11-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Not defending bergy at all, saw the dive. He's actually quite a big diver I don't know why he doesn't get called out on it more often...maybe its because other fan bases are not as obsessed with diving as Bruins fans are.
For sure I am assuming they called peverlys crosscheck on cammy a dive too.

Old
11-22-2011, 08:40 AM
MarkovsKnee

I really can't work up any kind of anger over last night's loss, or even get mildly upset. As much as it would be nice to go 6-0 against the Bruins, it wasn't going to happen. We played well. The defense that the Bruins were supposed to crush - well, that didn't happen. The PP failed - again, but we can't always rely on the PP to save our *****.

My only complaint is that I don't like Eller with Gomez. They should use Gionta with Gomer & put Eller either back at centre with Moen, or use him on the wing with Cammy & Pleks.

JM could always try Patches with Gomez - Gionta again, and put Eller with DD & Cole.

It's a tough week. We have Philly/Pittsburgh back-to-back this weekend, so beating Carolina Wednesday is a must win.

Old
11-22-2011, 08:41 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
now if we can just stay healthy goddammit!
Healthy, one at a time. We are playing our system very well in the past week, las thing I want to see is too many newcomers who aren't really broken into.

Old
11-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

I get a good chuckle at the discussion here sometimes.

Habs score 0 goals and surrender only 1 goal last night. Couldn't score one friggin goal.

The team has the 21st ranked offense in the league.
They had the 22nd ranked offense last year.
They had the 24th ranked offense the year before.

But let's talk about the SOG and start 2 new threads on how concerning the defence situation is.

But the silliness is not limited to this forum, I listened to Marinaro the other day talking about Plekanec laying on the ice last week and not worrying about the possibility of losing a "replaceable" piece due to the Habs being "deep at centre". Was he drunk, I don't know.

The Habs have 9 goals from the centre position. Only Calgary and Dallas get less production. Plekanec has 5 of those goals. Even Gauthier should be able to figure this out.

Old
11-22-2011, 08:43 AM
Huge94

Does Plekanec actually practice missing nets? He's so good at it.

Old
11-22-2011, 08:55 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidFire View Post
I think the Bruins are due for a massacre by the wings thursday

with the luck they have, winning games they shouldnt even be in, the luck is bound to end soon
I think calling it luck is sour grapes. They've dominated (as in seriously dominated) in 7 of of the 9 games in their streak. They played poorly against Columbus, but didn't need to be great, and they played a good road game, capitalized on a mistake, and Thomas was excellent. They got a couple of lucky bounces last night, but it hasn't been luck that's gotten them back on track.

That being said, I thought last night's game was really fun to watch. I loved the speed of the flow, and the physicality. I was impressed by Emelin, and Cole scared me every time he had the puck on his stick entering the Bruins' zone. And Carey Price is just so technically sound. I kept hoping the Habs weren't going to score, because I felt like there was no way we were going to get another one by Price.

Like several posters said, I think you guys will be even tougher once your whole team is healthy again (dang, it seems like it's been so long, can you really say "again"?)

Old
11-22-2011, 09:02 AM
1UP

A lot of people being angry in this thread.

I'm just going to say this. We're .500 with a quite depleted lineup. And if we play every game this way, we'll make the playoffs fairly easily.

We played well, Thomas played like he can, guys were looking for ways to beat Thomas and shot wide or tried to be too perfect, and nothing went in.

There is a way to lose a game, and the way the Habs played yesterday is it - good effort, good play. You just don't always win.

Old
11-22-2011, 09:05 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
let's face it, bruins fans might not want to agree but the B's have 0 intimidation factor vs Habs. after that brawl in boston we creamed you in mtl the game that pacioretty was injured. our team matches up well vs you in many respects. if we had a bit more size at center it could get even more interesting. habs will always get up for the b's - much like toronto always gets up for us
Actually, I'd have to agree wholeheartedly with just about all of this.

Closed Thread