HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

What Should Be Done About Morrow?

View Poll Results: What Should Be Done About Morrow?
Separate him from Ribeiro, but keep him in the top 9. 10 21.28%
Send him to the 4th line to grind away with Barch and co. 3 6.38%
Make him a scratch and let him watch from the pressbox for a while. 9 19.15%
Begin the process of trying to trade him to another club. 12 25.53%
Nothing. The situation will resolve itself. 13 27.66%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-21-2011, 09:55 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
What Should Be Done About Morrow?

Gulutzan has articulated 2 major pillars of what he wants from his team:
  • Play with pace
  • Stay disciplined
Morrow does neither of these.

What's the solution to this fundamental mismatch?

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
There's a lot of things that SHOULD be done. But what will be done?

He should be benched or put on the 4th line, but more than likely, they'll do nothing and just assume he'll find his legs with Ribeirio even though it's clearly not working on either stick right now.

Can't see Joe shipping him out unless too good of an offer comes around. Morrow has been great for our club and will always be a Star but he isn't a Zubov, Lehtinen, or Modano in my eyes and shouldn't be looked upon as such (aka open to be traded) but I highly doubt that will be the case. JMO though.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:09 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
I agree, what SHOULD be done is a lot different than what's realistic. Ideally he'd be benched a game to get his head straight and humble him. I think Morrow's gotten a bit of an ego as the year's have gone on and he's become the "go to guy." As was mentioned in another thread, his hustle and defensive play that was his hallmark years ago is completely gone.

That being said, it won't happen unless he continues to be really bad, even worse than he has been now. I think he needs to be dropped to the 3rd or 4th line and switched with Vincour to get back to his defensive fundamentals. Gulutzan could send a message saying he wants Morrow to get back to basics without having to hook/slash/interfere his way towards defending. Meanwhile Vincour gets some time in the top 6 where he looked really good early in the Edmonton game.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Phil Connors*

vCash: 500
Is their anything, injury wise, still wrong with him(factual, non assumption)?

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Babysteps, I guess.

First one would be splitting him from Ribs...bounce him around from line to line, and if that doesn't work, it's off to the pressbox for a game or two.

11-21-2011, 10:13 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

He should sit out a game. That always seems to light a fire underneath the player for his next game. If it continues, drop him to the bottom 6. He is playing like a chicken without a head ATM.

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:17 PM
KiedisA

I'm not going to face the Kings without our captain.. Give him time with Ribs and Ott and good things will come of it.

KiedisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:18 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
I'd sit Morrow for one game, otherwise at least put him on the fourth line for a couple games.

Also open to trading him, but his trade value will be higher in February.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Alistar

I think you try to trade him at the deadline, or next summer. As good as this team can look on occasion, Nieuwendyk needs to realize that this is still very much a rebuilding process and the focus has to go more and more on the young players every year. Morrow has 1 year left on his contract after this one, try to trade him while he still has a decent reputation around the league.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:33 PM
Caseman

If you bench Morrow, don't you inadvertently nuder his captaincy? What would be done about that?

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 10:36 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

There's that, and I'm not sure if Gulutzan wants to create a rift between him and his Captain just yet. That's why its unrealistic.

Old
11-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
There's that, and I'm not sure if Gulutzan wants to create a rift between him and his Captain just yet. That's why its unrealistic.
This.

Though, I don't think Morrow is HIS captain.

Old
11-21-2011, 11:01 PM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

Brandon Morrow must develop consistency with his curve ball, when he has it like he did his first year with the Jays he is dominating, but last season he never seemed to find his release point until late in the season and consequently opposing hitters were able to sit on his fastball which is great, but when its cutting like it does and hitters know its coming, they were able to lay off it and run up his pitch count and grind out walks

sorry, just realized i am on the dallas board right now and you guys are talking about Brendan Morrow not Brandon Morrow

never mind

but if you want to trade him, we would like him here in toronto!

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:11 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
I don't think GM Joe is concerned about ruffling feathers. Walking away from Mike Modano proved the guy doesn't have problem making difficult decisions. That said, I doubt they'd dumb him. They'd expect a reasonable return, and considering Morrow's history of stepping up in big situations, someone who feels they are close to a Cup would probably pony up a decent package.

That said, GM Joe has also shown he will not sell with a team in contention. It would also have to be a hockey trade to improve the team right now, and that would be much more difficult. I don't see Brenden going for picks/prospects.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 12:22 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
I'll just quote myself from the "Penalties" thread:

Quote:
I don't think he has the balls to bench Morrow. I don't know if he has the balls to even do what I propose, which is demoting Morrow to 3rd line duty. Take away his safety blanky and make him get back to playing defense first hockey. I would also take away every second of his PP time until further notice.

Early on in his career Morrow was a balls to the wall maniac defending the other team. He's gotten complacent in his role as a go-to offense producer and needs to get back to the meat and potatoes that allowed him to play with top offensive players like Modano, Arnott, and Ribeiro in the first place. Make him focus on a simple task and give Fraser or Vincour his spot next to Ribeiro.
For all intents and purposes these two threads are married to one another. I was at the game and I was/am disgusted at Morrow's attitude. He is the poster-child for whining to the officials. It looked like he was even complaining about the obvious interference penalty that he took at the end of the 2nd period that took us off the PP. He hardly ever has the puck and when he does he plays like he has the arthritic hands of a 60 year old. When I watch him play I have a tough time believing that THAT player scored 30 goals last year; it really does speak volumes to how good Ribeiro can be.

I don't think benching him for a game or whatever would have the most positive affect on the team. If he gets benched I doubt it has the kick-in-the-ass outcome that we would hope for; the player's ego seems to be bigger than his skill level at the moment. Benching him would signal the end of his time here (I would think) in which case it would only hurt his trade value. The best thing for now would be to plant him firmly on the 3rd or 4th line with no time-table for a return to the top-6.

Almost as much as significant as the bad penalties and overall lackluster play from Morrow is the fact that he's an offensive black hole taking valuable time with one of the better offensive players on the team. The team needs two scoring lines and Ribs needs someone with him who can score. Morrow is not that player and thankfully it sounds like Gulutzan realizes that Loui is not an option anywhere but on Benn's line for the time being.

I don't say this lightly because Morrow was at one point my favorite Stars player, but I've come to love the team far more than any one player...dude needs to shape up or ship out. Either way I think his "scoring" days are mostly gone.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 01:46 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Even Razor and Ralph were getting exasperated with Morrow tonight. It's perplexing.

Old
11-22-2011, 04:32 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

The third and fourth lines have been playing fairly well all season. Why would we want to ruin that by throwing Morrow down there?

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:48 AM
Troy McClure

I say we steal a bit from Oilers fans from years ago and take to calling him Stupid Penalty.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 07:14 AM
Verbal Kint

Sit down, chill out, he'll be fine. Just a slow start, nothing to panic for.

Come playoff-time (), Morrow will be a beast.

Verbal Kint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:03 AM
phil7488
RIP Lokomotiv

I'd bench him. He is not playing right as of now and it's getting to be irritating. He was incredibly undisciplined last night.His penalties are coming from him not keeping his feet moving. He's the slowest player on the team and I can't tell if it's a lack of effort or just age at this point. Benching him would send the message that even the captain will be punished if you don't bring 100% to every game. I just don't see us getting enough for him to justify a trade, I just don't. Something needs to be done because he's a considerable part of the reason why we started that egregious losing streak and the status quo simply isn't going to cut it.

phil7488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 02:51 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbal Kint View Post
Sit down, chill out, he'll be fine. Just a slow start, nothing to panic for.

Stars won't be making the playoffs with Morrow version 2.0 being counted upon to play top 6 minutes.

Old
11-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbal Kint View Post
Cause ya know...he definitely showed up in the last game of the season last year that would've sent us into the post season.

This isn't 2008.

Old
11-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

well that and the fact that if dallas wants to win they have to show up and compete every night. They didn't during that losing skid but did last night. if morrow continues to mail it in then they won't make the playoffs.

as for trading him phil7488, if he's a black hole like he has been whatever they get is a bonus. he probably won't return the value he would have this offseason but the team moves forward into the Jamie Benn era and the pick/prospect is probably better than throwing him out in the lineup to take bad penalties and bring Ribiero down every game.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 03:40 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
... is probably better than throwing him out in the lineup to take bad penalties and bring Ribiero down every game.
This is one of the bigger things as yet unsaid. I completely agree that it's Morrow bringing the tandem down and not vice versa. Ribs hates getting called for penalties but he doesn't talk half as much as B Mo.

Old
11-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

I still think he would command a lot of value from a team wanting to contend. Even though he isn't performing the way he should be, I could see a contender salivating about having 2010 Olympics Morrow on their playoff run.

Still wouldn't want to trade him if we are in the playoff hunt.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote