HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Should Be Done About Morrow?

View Poll Results: What Should Be Done About Morrow?
Separate him from Ribeiro, but keep him in the top 9. 10 21.28%
Send him to the 4th line to grind away with Barch and co. 3 6.38%
Make him a scratch and let him watch from the pressbox for a while. 9 19.15%
Begin the process of trying to trade him to another club. 12 25.53%
Nothing. The situation will resolve itself. 13 27.66%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Eskimo Spy
Where's Bench?

vCash: 500
Seems a little premature to consider trading him after a few games of lackluster play. Maybe drop him in the lineup and see if that gets his attention...

Eskimo Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 05:46 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

Bench him and start trying to shop him

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 08:00 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo Spy View Post
Maybe drop him in the lineup and see if that gets his attention...
I won't say that dropping him down the lineup can't fix the problem (that's my preferred option) but when Gulutzan comes out with the strong comments he made after the San Jose game about playing with character and not whining - to play the way Morrow did yesterday is a slap in the face to the coach (preaching the right message).

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:07 PM
tjcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
I still think he would command a lot of value from a team wanting to contend. Even though he isn't performing the way he should be, I could see a contender salivating about having 2010 Olympics Morrow on their playoff run.

Still wouldn't want to trade him if we are in the playoff hunt.
Agreed.

If there's an offer that can't be refused then maybe Joe at least considers it. Other than that, consider him a player in a slump and let's try to get him out of it. As for what to do ? Honestly I'm not sure. Stripping his C is a bit extreme I think, benching him isn't as extreme but as stated above, I think it could cause a rift and a bad situation going forward.

I think he's a case of a guy who it just isn't clicking for and he's trying too hard to do everything else, and it's getting him in to trouble and out of position. Possibly a meeting between he, Gulutzan, and Joe to set his head straight because clearly it isn't, and see what happens I guess.

tjcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

I've recently become a fan of the Stars (will always be 2nd to my Canucks tho) since I moved to Frisco and I've always been a Brenden Morrow fan. I think Morrow will clean up his act, after taking those 3 penalties you could tell that he was exasperated. He's been a professional (and Captain) long enough to know whats expected of him, I think he'll be better next game and as the season goes along. I'd love to have him on the Canucks though.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:37 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I'd love to have him on the Canucks though.
I wouldn't mind that either.

Old
11-23-2011, 06:44 AM
Verbal Kint

Luckily writer above is not a GM of the Stars. It's unbeliveable how short-sighted and impatient you guys are when one player happens to be in a slump. It's not really like he is killing this team even he has had few bad games and bad penalties. But actually this is so typical internet forum talk. Judging quickly and making almost amusing statements. Throwing an iconic Dallas Star under the bus because of some unproductivity and bad penalties. Geez..

I know really well he has played poorly recently and the finish of last season wasn't too flattering for him either. However, he did make 33 goals last year and what a history this player has with Dallas Stars francise. So come on, give him time. If he continues to play poorly the next 50-60 games and shows NO signs of getting better or is somehow arrogant, then i think it's more justified to talk about getting rid of him.

As said earlier, i'm sure he will get his act together. Morrow himself knows best that he needs to be lot better.

Verbal Kint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

This isn't some five game skid, he's been this way basically all 20 games. That's 1/5 of the season. He's got till Feb. to turn it around but let's not act like this is a short term, two week problem. After that message by his coach he goes out and plays like that, what kind of example is that for the young kids just brought up?

He's been far more hindrance than help this season and if Joe is serious about building a winner then keeping him beyond the deadline, if he continues to play like this, isn't doing everything they can to improve the on ice product of the team. I would hope he'd have learned something about not trading a player when the opportunity arises. After the Richards debacle repeating the same mistakes shouldn't happen again.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:34 AM
vofty

Joe is not going to trade Morrow. Besides who do you make captain in place of him....Robidas is the most likely choice and I'm sorry I would rather have a struggling Morrow be captain than Robidas.

I find it so amusing regarding the "Richards debacle". As if this needs hashed out yet again, was Joe honestly supposed to trade a concussed Richards for scraps for the sake of getting something for him? If Joe had traded him then everyone would have *****ed about "well we probably could have made the playoffs if we'd have kept him". The Morrow situation is nothing like the Richards situation so can we just drop that talk now?

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Sports

"Brenden Morrow out tonight with upper body injury. Tomas Vincour will play with Mike Ribeiro and Steve Ott."
-@andrewdsp

Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided View Post
"Brenden Morrow out tonight with upper body injury. Tomas Vincour will play with Mike Ribeiro and Steve Ott."
-@andrewdsp

Bennrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:39 AM
piqued

vCash: 3722
And we'll never know if that's real or not.

But what matters is that Vincour will give the team a better chance to win.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Sports

No Morrow tonight, he's out with an upper body injury. Gully said he's fine but has a few nagging things that need rest.
-@mcmatt1310

Clever wording.

Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided View Post
No Morrow tonight, he's out with an upper body injury. Gully said he's fine but has a few nagging things that need rest.
-@mcmatt1310

Clever wording.
Hey, a sore jawbone counts as an upper-body injury, right?

11-23-2011, 11:50 AM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
If you bench Morrow, don't you inadvertently nuder his captaincy? What would be done about that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I don't think benching him for a game or whatever would have the most positive affect on the team. If he gets benched I doubt it has the kick-in-the-ass outcome that we would hope for; the player's ego seems to be bigger than his skill level at the moment. Benching him would signal the end of his time here (I would think) in which case it would only hurt his trade value.
I want to just clarify that I didn't say "healthy scratch" in the poll option. You can give the player cover publicly and even with his teammates while delivering the same pointed message privately, which may be what is happening right now.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Brand New Stars

I hope that's what is going on. Major props to Gully if he did make the ballsy move.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Its a healthy scratch but they are not going to come out it.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:07 PM
ZugNugget

Morrow is out on account of Nugent-Hopkins' devastating body checks.

ZugNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:44 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Good to see.

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Honestly, I suspect something more serious than just a tweak happened with his knee this preseason when he missed time there. He's skating like he's got something in his lower body bothering him.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 03:04 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I want to just clarify that I didn't say "healthy scratch" in the poll option. You can give the player cover publicly and even with his teammates while delivering the same pointed message privately, which may be what is happening right now.
I actually had to go back and re-read the options because when I saw "make him a scratch" I read "make him a healthy scratch", or assumed it was implied. I would have voted that option if I hadn't read it the way I did. I just knew that he wouldn't be "healthy scratched" but this nagging injury scratch is, for all intents and purposes, a benching IMO. Good on them for making him sit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbal Kint View Post
Luckily writer above is not a GM of the Stars. It's unbeliveable how short-sighted and impatient you guys are when one player happens to be in a slump. It's not really like he is killing this team even he has had few bad games and bad penalties. But actually this is so typical internet forum talk. Judging quickly and making almost amusing statements. Throwing an iconic Dallas Star under the bus because of some unproductivity and bad penalties. Geez..

I know really well he has played poorly recently and the finish of last season wasn't too flattering for him either. However, he did make 33 goals last year and what a history this player has with Dallas Stars francise. So come on, give him time. If he continues to play poorly the next 50-60 games and shows NO signs of getting better or is somehow arrogant, then i think it's more justified to talk about getting rid of him.

As said earlier, i'm sure he will get his act together. Morrow himself knows best that he needs to be lot better.
Why are you only willing to give him 50-60 games to get his act together? Why not make it a full season or two?

Please don't try to paint me as some knee-jerk reactionary because that's really not the case here. It's 20 games into the season for crying outl oud; it's not like I pounced on two or three bad games to open the season. From where I sit it's pretty clear there is a healthy amount of either arrogance or ego at play here. It's not just that he's taking penalties it's the type of penalties he's taking. Lately they've almost all been of the "bad" variety...in the offensive zone, retaliatory, frustration, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Honestly, I suspect something more serious than just a tweak happened with his knee this preseason when he missed time there. He's skating like he's got something in his lower body bothering him.
If so it's long past due that he's taking a game (or more) off. It's selfish on the part of either the player for trying to play through something that causes you to hurt your team on the ice or of a coach who plays a player who has a significant bodily problem.

*And to answer the question of, if Morrow is traded who gets the "C"?... I think it should pretty clearly be Eriksson on an interim basis. He is the definition of disciplined, he works hard, works smart, cleans up other people's messes, etc. There isn't a better guy right now for young players in the system to model their work ethic after. Benn would then get the "A" vacated by Loui at which point he would get the "C" either for next season or the season after. That Morrow has a letter on his jersey should be all the more reason to nip the problem in the bud rather than dragging it out and letting it fester, not something that hinders the team from trading him, if they were to make that decision.

Old
11-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vofty View Post
Joe is not going to trade Morrow. Besides who do you make captain in place of him....Robidas is the most likely choice and I'm sorry I would rather have a struggling Morrow be captain than Robidas.

I find it so amusing regarding the "Richards debacle". As if this needs hashed out yet again, was Joe honestly supposed to trade a concussed Richards for scraps for the sake of getting something for him? If Joe had traded him then everyone would have *****ed about "well we probably could have made the playoffs if we'd have kept him". The Morrow situation is nothing like the Richards situation so can we just drop that talk now?
Joe should have traded him before the season began when he refused to renew his contract. If they couldn't come to terms holding onto him and hoping he'd change his mind was a bad strategy. That was my position two years ago and to this day.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 07:25 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Vinny looked great yesterday with Ribs/Ott. In a way i'd like to see Morrow sit out one more ...... but will it happen?

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:01 PM
ocballers

trade Morrow to go after another

why not move Morrow, say, to Chicago for prospect/picks and than use those to go after Staal or Nash. Get younger, but pay more in salary.

ocballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:54 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Morrow out the next 3 games. More Vincour top 6 time, and maybe we'll have an effective captain when he comes back.

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote