HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pascal Dupuis appreciation thread

Old
11-22-2011, 10:10 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
true but he's never going to reach Crosby level of puck possession.
No of course not. I just don't think it really matters for Kennedy who has the puck. He's going to play the same way no matter where he's put or what situation he's in. That's just the kind of player he is.

The way he likes to cycle the puck and his ability to hound people on the forecheck is the same kind of game that Crosby and Kunitz play. I can't see any way they wouldn't fit well together.

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:10 AM
JTG

Staal is still learning how to use his body. Last night was a perfect example of more strides that need to be made for him there. He beat a defenseman. All he had to do was drop his shoulder and power his way around. Rather than doing that, he peeled back.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:11 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
No of course not. I just don't think it really matters for Kennedy who has the puck. He's going to play the same way no matter where he's put or what situation he's in. That's just the kind of player he is.

The way he likes to cycle the puck and his ability to hound people on the forecheck is the same kind of game that Crosby and Kunitz play. I can't see any way they wouldn't fit well together.
Kennedy does play better with the puck on his stick though. He'd definitely see more of it on the 3rd line. Dupuis is just Dupuis. You can put him on the 1st line or the 3rd line and he'd do exactly the same. Quite odd actually.

Old
11-22-2011, 10:16 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Kennedy does play better with the puck on his stick though. He'd definitely see more of it on the 3rd line. Dupuis is just Dupuis. You can put him on the 1st line or the 3rd line and he'd do exactly the same. Quite odd actually.
I don't think we've ever really had to see Kennedy play in a role where he didn't have the puck on his stick more though.

IMO he's the kind of guy that doesn't care if he has the puck or not. He's going to go 100 MPH all the time. If it's with the puck, then great, but if it's not, then he's going to try to create turnovers and dig pucks out of the corner with his speed and tenacity.

I just don't see it being a big deal that he'd have the puck less with Sid. If anything, that would free him up to get open and use his shot more (which is pretty good).

Plus he has a ton more creativity and a lot better hands than Dupuis has. I think it would be a perfect fit.

Old
11-22-2011, 10:30 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
....before Sid's transformation into a goal scorer he was misplaced because he was looked to to finish Crosby's setups. Now he's looked to to turnover pucks and hit an in-flight Crosby with a pass so it's a great fit.....
That's a good point. Crosby doesn't defer or look to force passes with Kunitz and Dupuis (for good reason) and obviously it's paying off with Sid's goal scoring pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I'd keep it like it is for now, Kennedy gets more of the puck when he plays with Staal than he would with Sid and I think he's more effective that way.
Good call on TK, he gets to play the role of a scoring winger next to Cooke and Staal. There's a few combos I wouldn't mind seeing just to see what happens but there's no arguing that we have 3 lines that work great right now. I thought TK looked incredibly dangerous last night, not sure how he didn't end up with 1-2 goals.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:38 AM
JTG

Last night really could have been WAY uglier. That 1st line hit a couple posts. Staal missed that open net that he just poked wide. I thought TK was bound to score one.

Could have just as easily been an 8 or 9 spot as it was 5.

Old
11-22-2011, 10:39 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Good call on TK, he gets to play the role of a scoring winger next to Cooke and Staal. There's a few combos I wouldn't mind seeing just to see what happens but there's no arguing that we have 3 lines that work great right now. I thought TK looked incredibly dangerous last night, not sure how he didn't end up with 1-2 goals.
Yeah as much as I want Kennedy to play with Crosby, we have 3 great lines right now and I don't think I'd change it at this point.

Old
11-22-2011, 10:41 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Last night really could have been WAY uglier. That 1st line hit a couple posts. Staal missed that open net that he just poked wide. I thought TK was bound to score one.

Could have just as easily been an 8 or 9 spot as it was 5.
It's probably better that it wasn't 8 or 9 we put up on them. If we did, then they probably would feel they'd have to goon it up in the next game again to defend their honor.

Old
11-22-2011, 10:59 AM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Look at the numbers? Dupuis has six more points than Kunitz this season...and he is a plus-10 to Kunitz' plus-1 rating. And they've spent most of the season on the same line, whether with Sid last night or with Jordan Staal.

And if you look beyond the numbers, Dupuis has outplayed Kunitz as well.

I don't think there's any argument here.
So I'd imagine the fact that Kunitz has outscored Dupuis in the previous 2 1/2 seasons (or since Kunitz arrived in Pittsburgh) while playing on Sid's line, and while playing considerably fewer games is automatically forgotten due to his slow start this season?

There is an argument, as your assesment of the respective worth of Kuni and Dupuis is based purely on short-term evidence.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 11:00 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKnYELLOW66 View Post
So I'd imagine the fact that Kunitz has outscored Dupuis in the previous 2 1/2 seasons (or since Kunitz arrived in Pittsburgh) while playing on Sid's line, and while playing considerably fewer games is automatically forgotten due to his slow start this season?
"What have you done for me lately"

Old
11-22-2011, 11:02 AM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
My favorite quote last night from main board was,

"The most amazing thing about Crosby's night so far is how well he's able to skate with Pierre Mcguire planted 2/3 of the way up his backside."

Apparently Pierre was all over us last night in terms of the compliments.
Couldn't care less. Rewind to 2 seasons ago and he was doing the exact same thing with ovie. McGuire is a putz as far as I'm concerned.

Old
11-22-2011, 11:03 AM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
"What have you done for me lately"
In short: Yes

Old
11-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
I find it quite scary that he had 14 points in 19 games without Sid. Now with Sid back he has 17 in 20 and I can see him getting 50 + points if he can continue chipping in on Sid's line.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

As well as Dupuis has played, I am going to be the wet blanket here and say I still hate that he is on Crosby's line.

It is hard to watch Crosby be thrown on a makeshift line with Malkin and Neal, and see how they read each other so well so quickly - then think about how many plays Dupuis will end up blowing this season. No matter how hard he tries, Dupuis is never going to think the game at that same level.

I've been effusive with my praise of Dupuis this season, but I have this gut feeling if he stays with Crosby all season, people will remember why he drives us all so nuts as a top line guy.

That said, I think TK would drive him insane, so Dupuis is the lesser of two evils so to speak right now.

I'm still holding out hope Tangradi can force his way into the top 6 by the end of the season or Shero makes a trade for a skilled winger who can help Crosby out when he will inevitably face tighter checking and elite pairings in the playoffs.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 12:17 PM
JTG

I think when talking about constructing lines, people look at the skill of a player more than how the line as a whole works. When Sid is with Neal and Geno, you're looking at two guys particularly on that line who play their best with the puck on their stick. Neal...I think he's much better popping in and out of shooting areas like Stamkos.

I think Kennedy is one of those guys who likes seeing the puck. If with Crosby, he wouldn't be like Dupuis. Dupuis looks for Crosby. He realizes that the puck needs to be on Sid's stick, and he's going to do whatever he has to do to allow Crosby to get the puck as much as possible.

I don't know if TK is that kind of player. He'd much rather skate the puck in himself, and just fire shots away. So when this TK v. Dupuis on the 1st line thing pops up, yeah, I think TK could do just fine on the 1st line, but I'm not so sure that's the best thing for everyone involved. In making that switch, you're interchanging two players who sort of have different mindsets. I don't think the offensive gains would be that great. I do think TK would score a few more goals.

I just think with how the two play, Dupuis is a good fit, albeit frustrating at times with his lack of creativity or hands, and TK is a good fit with Staal and Cooke where he sees the puck a ton more, and he is relied upon in that role to carry the play some times, where as with Sid, the play is Sid's...every single time.

Old
11-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKnYELLOW66 View Post

There is an argument, as your assesment of the respective worth of Kuni and Dupuis is based purely on short-term evidence.
In a salary-cap world, you gotta think this way. Sorry to say.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I think when talking about constructing lines, people look at the skill of a player more than how the line as a whole works. When Sid is with Neal and Geno, you're looking at two guys particularly on that line who play their best with the puck on their stick. Neal...I think he's much better popping in and out of shooting areas like Stamkos.

I think Kennedy is one of those guys who likes seeing the puck. If with Crosby, he wouldn't be like Dupuis. Dupuis looks for Crosby. He realizes that the puck needs to be on Sid's stick, and he's going to do whatever he has to do to allow Crosby to get the puck as much as possible.

I don't know if TK is that kind of player. He'd much rather skate the puck in himself, and just fire shots away. So when this TK v. Dupuis on the 1st line thing pops up, yeah, I think TK could do just fine on the 1st line, but I'm not so sure that's the best thing for everyone involved. In making that switch, you're interchanging two players who sort of have different mindsets. I don't think the offensive gains would be that great. I do think TK would score a few more goals.

I just think with how the two play, Dupuis is a good fit, albeit frustrating at times with his lack of creativity or hands, and TK is a good fit with Staal and Cooke where he sees the puck a ton more, and he is relied upon in that role to carry the play some times, where as with Sid, the play is Sid's...every single time.
Yeah this is basically how I feel about Dupuis and TK.

TK is just an all around spazz and would frustrate Crosby I think.

Dupuis makes up for his lack of top end skill with all out hustle.

I see Dupuis as the best option "now". But I am far from comfortable with him as Crosby's winger when the playoffs start. Det. and Mon. specifically have shown that Crosby can in fact be shut down.

I like Cosby's chances of fighting through those types of situations with two legit top 6 wingers ie Kunitz and X as opposed to Kunitz and Dupuis.

I just hope someone better is in Dupuis' spot by April. It is just a situation I don't think I'll change my mind about.

Old
11-22-2011, 12:35 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:

I think it would be good for Kennedy to carry the puck sometimes though on a line with Crosby. It would allow Sid to get lost in the defense and get open for shots. Also I don't think it's a bad thing that doesn't think they need to force feed the star player the puck all the time.

Kennedy is capable of creating offense on his own, and it's the kind of offense that Crosby thrives on. I don't think he's above getting Crosby the puck either. He has shown a vastly improved playmaking ability. He doesn't just look to shoot anymore.

I honestly don't think Kennedy's game would be affected at all with seeing the puck less. He's not that kind of player.

Old
11-22-2011, 12:36 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Yeah this is basically how I feel about Dupuis and TK.

TK is just an all around spazz and would frustrate Crosby I think.

Dupuis makes up for his lack of top end skill with all out hustle.

I see Dupuis as the best option "now". But I am far from comfortable with him as Crosby's winger when the playoffs start. Det. and Mon. specifically have shown that Crosby can in fact be shut down.

I like Cosby's chances of fighting through those types of situations with two legit top 6 wingers ie Kunitz and X as opposed to Kunitz and Dupuis.

I just hope someone better is in Dupuis' spot by April. It is just a situation I don't think I'll change my mind about.
Kennedy is all out hustle as well, with an increased playmaking ability and a better set of hands...

Old
11-22-2011, 01:01 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Apparently Dupuis's favorite night of the week to play hockey is Tuesday...

Old
11-22-2011, 01:28 PM
cassius

On a cap-hit per production basis, Dupuis's $2m/year salary is an absolute steal. One of the best contracts out there across the league.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 01:32 PM
cassius

*edit: Dupuis has a $1.5M cap hit... talk about a steal.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 01:37 PM
JTG

Quote:
Apparently Dupuis's favorite night of the week to play hockey is Tuesday...

Something must happen before or after (or before and after) games on Tuesdays

Old
11-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Kennedy is all out hustle as well, with an increased playmaking ability and a better set of hands...
TK does have all of that, but as I said it is the spazz factor I worry about with him.

If he would make faster decisions with the puck and learn when to shoot/pass more efficiently, he could be a good top 6 guy.

I just don't know if he ever will. I guess once I stop watching him and shaking my head about some of the things he does, then maybe he will be a better option than Dupuis.

Old
11-22-2011, 01:38 PM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
I think it would be good for Kennedy to carry the puck sometimes though on a line with Crosby. It would allow Sid to get lost in the defense and get open for shots. Also I don't think it's a bad thing that doesn't think they need to force feed the star player the puck all the time.

Kennedy is capable of creating offense on his own, and it's the kind of offense that Crosby thrives on. I don't think he's above getting Crosby the puck either. He has shown a vastly improved playmaking ability. He doesn't just look to shoot anymore.

I honestly don't think Kennedy's game would be affected at all with seeing the puck less. He's not that kind of player.
Exactly. I think TK's speed and puck movement would actually help to create a bit more space believe it or not. In fact, they could both create space for EACH OTHER if need be while Kuni sets shop in his usual space around the net, looking for deflections and rebounds to bang in.