HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pascal Dupuis appreciation thread

Old
11-22-2011, 01:39 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
TK does have all of that, but as I said it is the spazz factor I worry about with him.

If he would make faster decisions with the puck and learn when to shoot/pass more efficiently, he could be a good top 6 guy.

I just don't know if he ever will. I guess once I stop watching him and shaking my head about some of the things he does, then maybe he will be a better option than Dupuis.
The thing is that on a line with Sid TK would know first hand that Sid is the primary go-to-guy out there. I doubt very much TK would allow himself to get carried away.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 01:46 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKnYELLOW66 View Post
Exactly. I think TK's speed and puck movement would actually help to create a bit more space believe it or not. In fact, they could both create space for EACH OTHER if need be while Kuni sets shop in his usual space around the net, looking for deflections and rebounds to bang in.
Kennedy's speed? You wanna stick with that?

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 01:46 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
TK does have all of that, but as I said it is the spazz factor I worry about with him.

If he would make faster decisions with the puck and learn when to shoot/pass more efficiently, he could be a good top 6 guy.

I just don't know if he ever will. I guess once I stop watching him and shaking my head about some of the things he does, then maybe he will be a better option than Dupuis.
I understand the spazz factor, but Dupuis isn't much better. He has his moments of flubbing chances as well and he sometimes kills good plays set up by Crosby.

Kennedy has done some growing I believe, and now more than ever I think he'd be a great fit. They just play the game so similarly that I just can't see it not working.

I don't envision Kennedy being some great player once he gets moved to Crosby's line. I just think he'd compliment him very well and would be a catalyst for that line to contribute more points.

I said I'd fall on my sword in this instance. Until I actually see it happen for more than 1 game, I'll always believe this to be true. I'd also be more than willing to admit I was wrong if it ends up not working.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 01:47 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKnYELLOW66 View Post
Exactly. I think TK's speed and puck movement would actually help to create a bit more space believe it or not. In fact, they could both create space for EACH OTHER if need be while Kuni sets shop in his usual space around the net, looking for deflections and rebounds to bang in.
Well Dupuis is fast as well. I just think Kennedy is fast AND has better puck skills.

Old
11-22-2011, 01:50 PM
JTG

And I'll add another factor into this...if Kennedy is constantly going against top pairings every night, I don't think there's a shot in hell that he play anywhere close to a full season.

Old
11-22-2011, 01:54 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
Well Dupuis is fast as well. I just think Kennedy is fast AND has better puck skills.
When I said "puck movement" I was referring to his "puck skills". My apologies if my wording wasn't clear enough for some of you folk

Old
11-22-2011, 01:54 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Kennedy's speed? You wanna stick with that?
I said "puck movement" as well.

Old
11-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I understand the spazz factor, but Dupuis isn't much better. He has his moments of flubbing chances as well and he sometimes kills good plays set up by Crosby.

Kennedy has done some growing I believe, and now more than ever I think he'd be a great fit. They just play the game so similarly that I just can't see it not working.

I don't envision Kennedy being some great player once he gets moved to Crosby's line. I just think he'd compliment him very well and would be a catalyst for that line to contribute more points.

I said I'd fall on my sword in this instance. Until I actually see it happen for more than 1 game, I'll always believe this to be true. I'd also be more than willing to admit I was wrong if it ends up not working.
I can't really form a good argument here because I don't feel that great about either of them with Crosby - which is why I hope someone else emerges (Tangradi) or a trade is made before the playoffs roll along.

We know what Dupuis is - he isn't getting any better and there is zero doubt in my mind he will start pissing people off again now that he is on the top line. I am willing to bet your life on it.

TK we don't know how he will do exactly, but I just can't see him controlling his inner spazz that I have watched for the last several seasons.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 02:05 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
And I'll add another factor into this...if Kennedy is constantly going against top pairings every night, I don't think there's a shot in hell that he play anywhere close to a full season.
Eh, maybe. It's a concern at least. He was going up against 1st and 2nd pairings for the whole 2nd half of last season though and performed pretty damn well without getting hurt.

Old
11-22-2011, 02:08 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
I can't really form a good argument here because I don't feel that great about either of them with Crosby - which is why I hope someone else emerges (Tangradi) or a trade is made before the playoffs roll along.

We know what Dupuis is - he isn't getting any better and there is zero doubt in my mind he will start pissing people off again now that he is on the top line. I am willing to bet your life on it.

TK we don't know how he will do exactly, but I just can't see him controlling his inner spazz that I have watched for the last several seasons.
I just think he's maturing more as a player the older he gets. I just wish we could just get a chance to see it first. I'm sure there are plenty of examples of players who SHOULD mesh together well, but never actually did when given the chance.

Old
11-22-2011, 02:11 PM
JTG

I think either one would do the same job. I do however agree that a trade or free agency would be the best fix.

Old
11-22-2011, 02:13 PM
TheDudeAbides

Honestly hes my favorite player on the team hands down. Just in terms of personality, hes a great guy. Talbo used to be my favorite, but now dupers gets that distinct honor.

TheDudeAbides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 02:15 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
I think either one would do the same job. I do however agree that a trade or free agency would be the best fix.
Yeah Kennedy and Dupuis could certainly be upgraded at the deadline or in free agency. I just think with the players we have now, Kennedy would be best on Crosby's line and Dupuis on Staal's.

Considering none of us have any concrete evidence to support our claims, I guess I'll have to drop this argument for the time being.

Old
11-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I just think he's maturing more as a player the older he gets. I just wish we could just get a chance to see it first. I'm sure there are plenty of examples of players who SHOULD mesh together well, but never actually did when given the chance.
Here is the thing on TK that I talked about way back... In Jr and on the Baby Pens, he was my Vitale man crush. He just never stopped and gave it 100% on every shift.

I'm sure most people forgot or weren't posting here then, but I was pimping TK before he even hit the A. So I have always pulled for him and it isn't easy for me to call him a spazz, etc.

With the Greyhounds he was sick his last season. He was always decisive and moved the puck so well; then in the A he played the same game.

I believe it was in '07 that I said he was going to surprise a lot of people and be a fan favorite, surefire NHLer, etc (hence the Vitale comparisons).

Something changed when he got into the NHL though. He still gave it everything he had each shift, but he became this gunner who played with blinders on and his game became spazzerfic. I think a coach must of told him to start shooting more and he figured that meant every shift, even if he had a guy wide open driving the lane.

If he can get back to being the puck mover I saw years ago, he would be sick with Crosby... but his new playing style seems too ingrained in him now... I don't know if he can unlearn these bad habits that have become like second nature to him.

Old
11-22-2011, 02:26 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Here is the thing on TK that I talked about way back... In Jr and on the Baby Pens, he was my Vitale man crush. He just never stopped and gave it 100% on every shift.

I'm sure most people forgot or weren't posting here then, but I was pimping TK before he even hit the A. So I have always pulled for him and it isn't easy for me to call him a spazz, etc.

With the Greyhounds he was sick his last season. He was always decisive and moved the puck so well; then in the A he played the same game.

I believe it was in '07 that I said he was going to surprise a lot of people and be a fan favorite, surefire NHLer, etc (hence the Vitale comparisons).

Something changed when he got into the NHL though. He still gave it everything he had each shift, but he became this gunner who played with blinders on and his game became spazzerfic. I think a coach must of told him to start shooting more and he figured that meant every shift, even if he had a guy wide open driving the lane.

If he can get back to being the puck mover I saw years ago, he would be sick with Crosby... but his new playing style seems too ingrained in him now... I don't know if he can unlearn these bad habits that have become like second nature to him now.
I think he showed strides toward becoming that better playmaker last season though. We'll see where he goes this year. He had that concussion that threw him off a bit.

I think when people expected him to produce more offense and produce points is what caused him to become the better playmaker last season. When he's playing on that 3rd line he probably figures it's his job to get the puck to the net and try to create rebounds just based on who he's playing with. If he plays with Crosby he will probably feel like he needs to start making more plays, which he has the ability to do.

Old
11-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Pancakes

Quote:

If he can get back to being the puck mover I saw years ago, he would be sick with Crosby... but his new playing style seems too ingrained in him now... I don't know if he can unlearn these bad habits that have become like second nature to him.
I don't even know if I'd call his shooting mentality a bad habit. It would be if he was with Sid or Malkin and was still taking all those shots constantly instead of getting them the puck, but I think his style works really well when he's with Staal and Cooke.

I agree though that his playmaking skills seem underrated. The guy can flat out make plays sometimes and he has great patience with the puck. His vision isn't terrific but his hands and patience are good enough that he can make good passes when he wants to.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 02:41 PM
JTG

Quote:
Yeah Kennedy and Dupuis could certainly be upgraded at the deadline or in free agency. I just think with the players we have now, Kennedy would be best on Crosby's line and Dupuis on Staal's.

Considering none of us have any concrete evidence to support our claims, I guess I'll have to drop this argument for the time being.
Have you seen my work?

I'd rather bludgeon you to death over the course of 12 pages, and drag out the argument so long that neither one of us even knows what we're arguing about any longer.

Phrases like "drop this argument" and "agree to disagree" are not in this guy's vocabulary

Old
11-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I think when people expected him to produce more offense and produce points is what caused him to become the better playmaker last season. When he's playing on that 3rd line he probably figures it's his job to get the puck to the net and try to create rebounds just based on who he's playing with. If he plays with Crosby he will probably feel like he needs to start making more plays, which he has the ability to do.
Maybe... I hope he gets a chance and proves me wrong, no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
I don't even know if I'd call his shooting mentality a bad habit
They say a shot is never a bad play, but in actuality it can be.

Neal shoots as much as TK, but there is a big difference between when the two of them choose to shoot.

TK doesn't let the play develop and just guns it, instead of carrying the puck and giving the play more time to develop.

He literally puts his head down and doesn't look where his linemates are, then shoots.

It drives me insane.

Old
11-22-2011, 02:49 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Have you seen my work?

I'd rather bludgeon you to death over the course of 12 pages, and drag out the argument so long that neither one of us even knows what we're arguing about any longer.

Phrases like "drop this argument" and "agree to disagree" are not in this guy's vocabulary

Well at least if we DID do that I wouldn't report you for supposed personal attacks when all you were really doing was refuting what I was saying.

Those kind of people suck.

Old
11-22-2011, 03:02 PM
JTG

Quote:

Well at least if we DID do that I wouldn't report you for supposed personal attacks when all you were really doing was refuting what I was saying.

Those kind of people suck.
Well, I expect you to "call it like you see it", and "feel good about being right" when you do.

"Being right" mind you is, "calling it like you see it." And when you "call it like you see it" what you saw before doesn't matter.

Old
11-22-2011, 03:03 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Pascal, if you're listening, I appreciate you.

Now, stop sobbing in the corner. It's unmanly.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 774
Who would of thought 1/4 into the season Dupuis would be second on the team in assists and points.

Killahpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Gary Roberts
Bringer of rain

I still hate Pascal Dupuis

That being said, I honestly find myself unable to complain about Pascal Dupuis so far this season. Except for possibly not giving me enough of a reason to justify hating him.

Gary Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Maybe... I hope he gets a chance and proves me wrong, no doubt.

They say a shot is never a bad play, but in actuality it can be.

Neal shoots as much as TK, but there is a big difference between when the two of them choose to shoot.

TK doesn't let the play develop and just guns it, instead of carrying the puck and giving the play more time to develop.

He literally puts his head down and doesn't look where his linemates are, then shoots.

It drives me insane.
Well, you're right, I just think in general it's not a bad idea for him to have a shoot-first mentality when he's with Staal and Cooke. He should definitely be more selective with his shots than he is, but that line plays a really simple style of hockey and I think they are their best when they are playing that way.

So I agree but I still like the fact that he is not shy about shooting the puck. I wish he'd do it a bit less than his insanely spazztastic style that you've alluded to, but I still like that he isn't shy about doing it.

He's like the polar opposite of Paul Martin and Steve Sullivan who wouldn't shoot the puck unless you had a gun to their head and maybe not even then.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 08:18 PM
BrookswasHere44

Super Duper!!

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote