HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2nd Line Centre and Top 6 Forward Movement

View Poll Results: Who should centre the second line?
Marleau 15 53.57%
Pavelski 1 3.57%
Coture 12 42.86%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-22-2011, 03:13 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark View Post
Sometime you do move other players to get a better balance. Pavelski was playing well last year but put on the 3rd line to get scoring balanced.

Its a problem when we have 2 of our top six not meeting expectations (Clowe and Havlat). I'm not certain I want Pavelski off the top line either. He's such a smart player and maybe the best fit for Jumbo in some time since they both see the ice so well and anticipate. Then again, Couture could play in Pav's spot on the top line dropping Pavs.

We do need to find a way to get some chemistry for Havlat in particular. Maybe its Zeus who can slot up to the second line with Havlat on the right and Marleau on the left? Just wondering out loud but Havlat in particular ought to have more than one goal thus far.
While the team as a whole has done very well for the last 6 games, Havlat has only got 1 point. On one side the team seems to be performing very well since the mixing up of lines, on the other Havlat has not produced offensively.

11-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Kitten Mittons

Couture-Thornton-Havlat
Clowe-Pavelski-Marleau

I'd like to see Thornton and Havlat together. Speed on the first line doesn't hurt anyway.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 03:15 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 691
Havlat-Thornton-Pavelski
Clowe-Marleau-Couture

is what I would like to see tried. Spreads the speed, the shooting, and the chemistry. I've been championing a Clowe-Marleau-Couture line for a while, but we've yet to see it.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 03:19 PM
hockeyball

Havlat - Thornton - Pavelski
Clowe - Couture - Marleau

that would be the best use of everyones talents.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 03:21 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Except both Havlat and Pavelski are RWs.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Except both Havlat and Pavelski are RWs.
Thus far, Havlat has played best on Logan's wing. I really like the idea of Clowe-Jumbo-Pavs, Marleau-Logan-Havlat. Atleast to try it. The second line would be a lot faster than the first, but the first has a lot more play-making ability.

Which would actually be perfect, because the second line could be the shutdown, and the first could be used mainly for scoring.

Kegsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 03:46 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsey View Post
Thus far, Havlat has played best on Logan's wing. I really like the idea of Clowe-Jumbo-Pavs, Marleau-Logan-Havlat. Atleast to try it. The second line would be a lot faster than the first, but the first has a lot more play-making ability.

Which would actually be perfect, because the second line could be the shutdown, and the first could be used mainly for scoring.
Clowe and Jumbo can't play together. It's a never-ending pass fest, much like the failed Michalek-Thornton experiments. Plus they're both F2's, so they would be serving the same purpose on the line and there would be no forechecker.

Old
11-22-2011, 03:58 PM
SharksFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehJuxtaposer View Post
Havlat-Thornton-Pavelski
Clowe-Marleau-Couture

is what I would like to see tried. Spreads the speed, the shooting, and the chemistry. I've been championing a Clowe-Marleau-Couture line for a while, but we've yet to see it.
I vote for these lines

SharksFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

Quote:
Clowe and Jumbo can't play together. It's a never-ending pass fest, much like the failed Michalek-Thornton experiments. Plus they're both F2's, so they would be serving the same purpose on the line and there would be no forechecker.

Joe can easily switch to f1, and Clowe just has to shoot. I believe this system deserves atleast a chance.

Kegsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 04:15 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsey View Post
Joe can easily switch to f1, and Clowe just has to shoot. I believe this system deserves atleast a chance.
JT doesn't have the speed for an F1 plus he is usually playing low in the d zone for his defensive abilities. Putting him near the blueline would be a mistake.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 04:55 PM
Sharkway Drive
****ing All Star!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
JT doesn't have the speed for an F1 plus he is usually playing low in the d zone for his defensive abilities. Putting him near the blueline would be a mistake.
Agreed with this. Clowe and Jumbo can't be on a line together. I dont know how Jumbo-havlat would do either but I suppose they should try it out.

Sharkway Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 05:09 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkway Drive View Post
Agreed with this. Clowe and Jumbo can't be on a line together. I dont know how Jumbo-havlat would do either but I suppose they should try it out.
Havlat has the speed to do F1 but he really doesn't battle hard enough to do it really well. Patty is battling harder, but he is still a shade short of ideal. All it is is winning the race to the puck and tipping it to the next guy better than half the time. Patty and Couture have been the F1's for the better part of the year. Pavs occasionally chips in for the role. F1's are the most subject to injury and it is not a role that you want your top guys doing all of the time. Guys who do F1 usually have the lowest point totals on a line.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 05:59 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Havlat can play F1 or F2 depending on where he plays. He has the speed for F1 and the play-making for F2.

The biggest reason I miss Seto is because he was the perfect linemate for Thornton and Marleau. Good speed, physicality, and a wicked shot. Le sigh.

Old
11-22-2011, 06:03 PM
Sharkway Drive
****ing All Star!

Quote:
Havlat can play F1 or F2 depending on where he plays. He has the speed for F1 and the play-making for F2.

The biggest reason I miss Seto is because he was the perfect linemate for Thornton and Marleau. Good speed, physicality, and a wicked shot. Le sigh.
I understand that Havlat can be an F-1 but I'm talking more of an offensive sort of sense. Jumbo and Havlat are both playmakers, much like how Clowe and Jumbo wouldn't work. There would just be a lot of passing. I'm willing to try and out though and see if there is any chemistry there.

Sharkway Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:06 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
I understand that Havlat can be an F-1 but I'm talking more of an offensive sort of sense. Jumbo and Havlat are both playmakers, much like how Clowe and Jumbo wouldn't work. There would just be a lot of passing. I'm willing to try and out though and see if there is any chemistry there.
Yeah, I think that's what TMac is trying to fix by putting Havlat, Clowe, and Thornton all on separate lines, but if we want a stacked top-6 then I think Joe and Havlat together and Clowe by himself would work the best. But that remains to be seem, obviously.

Old
11-22-2011, 07:03 PM
AstroDan
Stars, cars, guitars

vCash: 50
I like Patty at center. I think he likes it there, too.

Havlat - Jumbo - Pavs
Couture - Patty - Clowe

It's a nice luxury to have 4 centers on the top two lines. I'd like to try Havlat on top line, bring his speed there and let Couture fire up Clowe. He needs to have the kid on his line for the Full Crabby Fire to shine. Anybody on Jumbo's line is going to heat up.
I'd leave Zeus on the 3rd and Desjardin on 4th. Those line seem fine. Occasionally bounce Mitchell onto each of the top two lines for his speed. (I've been an advocate to have Mitchell on Jumbo's line for years now... I think the kid could be great.)
It really is a great time for SHARKS fans!

AstroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Sharksfan83

Please don't move Pavs. Let JT and Pavs work all year together. If anything add a complimentry player to LW and keep Marleau as 2nd line C and let Couture play wing keeping Havlat on the 3rd

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 07:12 PM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Havlat-Thornton-Pavelski
Clowe-Marleau-Couture

these lines might be good to try. people forget statistically marleau's best year was when he was centering the 2nd line with uhhh michalek and bernier i think. he has also publically stated he prefers playing center. also having 2 centers per line is great because it means the first guy in the circle can be hyper aggressive about cheating, knowing that if he gets tossed the next guy at least has a decent shot at winning.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 07:29 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
these lines might be good to try. people forget statistically marleau's best year was when he was centering the 2nd line with uhhh michalek and bernier i think. he has also publically stated he prefers playing center. also having 2 centers per line is great because it means the first guy in the circle can be hyper aggressive about cheating, knowing that if he gets tossed the next guy at least has a decent shot at winning.
I think our guys rely way too much on 'cheating' and not enough on technique. I wold bet you could directly correlate our poor faceoff percentage games to ref's that don't put up with faceoff cheating.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Havlat - Thornton - Pavelski
Clowe - Couture - Marleau

If we were simply focusing on the top six, I would agree with a slight adjustment to the 2nd line by having Couture on the left, Marleau in the middle, and Clowe on the right. The problem though is that they need the 3rd line to be a threat too and I really like Havlat on Handzus' wing. The problem then becomes who you move up and I would rather move McGinn up than Mitchell but neither are ideal at this stage. I think McGinn is the only one of the two with the potential to slide up and hold his own there but he's not ready yet.

There are a couple different combos I'd like them to try. One is...

Marleau-Thornton-Pavelski
Clowe-Couture-McGinn
Mitchell-Handzus-Havlat

The other is just swapping Marleau and Couture. A Clowe-Marleau-McGinn line would be very fast and very physical.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 07:32 PM
AstroDan
Stars, cars, guitars

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
A Clowe-Marleau-McGinn line would be very fast and very physical.
I like that, but a line with Clowe would never be "very fast"!

AstroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroDan View Post
I like that, but a line with Clowe would never be "very fast"!
Yeah but by that logic it wouldn't be "very physical" either because of Marleau. I just feel that if two of the three guys can provide a significant amount of a certain attribute, that qualifies for the statement.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Linkster
Rebuildt?

Couture is the Sharks' premium future building block. He'll captain this team someday and - as most posters on this board have noted - there's nothing even close to Couture's skill and attitude in the development pipeline.

Wilson and McClellan have to give him a piece of the action as the 2nd line center now, while there are mentors and experts on the roster, to develop into a premier centerman. There are no guarantees that both Marleau and Thornton will be in SJ when their contracts expire.

In 3 years the Sharks may have to make it Pavelski and Couture down the middle, so Couture better get started getting ready. Anything else is gravy.

Linkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkster View Post
Couture is the Sharks' premium future building block. He'll captain this team someday and - as most posters on this board have noted - there's nothing even close to Couture's skill and attitude in the development pipeline.

Wilson and McClellan have to give him a piece of the action as the 2nd line center now, while there are mentors and experts on the roster, to develop into a premier centerman. There are no guarantees that both Marleau and Thornton will be in SJ when their contracts expire.

In 3 years the Sharks may have to make it Pavelski and Couture down the middle, so Couture better get started getting ready. Anything else is gravy.
You can't possibly believe that Wilson and Todd are or should be looking at anything other than this year and the Cup when it comes to playing time and position, right?

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Linkster
Rebuildt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
You can't possibly believe that Wilson and Todd are or should be looking at anything other than this year and the Cup when it comes to playing time and position, right?
Shhhhhh! I can control the Sharks' entire strategic game plan for decades with these two images:

"Look into my eyes..."

Linkster is offline   Reply With Quote