HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nikolai Kulemin

Old
12-03-2011, 09:18 AM
august

vCash: 500
Nikolai Kulemin

He was very impressive last year, but this year is stats are not very good.

Is he a one year wonder a la Andrei Kostistytn are is he the real deal?

I have an offer for him in a keeper league, but I would like to have your opinion on him.

august is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 09:21 AM
disgruntleddave

vCash: 50
He's really struggling, not playing the game he did last year. He's had some flashes of his prior play this year, but nothing sustained.

Most of us think he'll find his way back to his game eventually, but I'm not so sure it'll happen soon enough.

disgruntleddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 09:32 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

The guy is currently on pace for 6 goals and 35 points. Last season he hit 30 goals due to a career high shooting % of 17%. His previous two seasons were around 11%. And currently it's at 5%. I think what we'll normally get from Kuli is probably 20ish goals and 50 or under points. I know some might think that 50 point prediction is a bit too low, but last season he had 3 things going for him 1) really high shot pct 2) he played a full 82 games 3) unusually great chemistry with linemates who in turn both also played a full season (grabo missed 1 game). Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be too surprised if Kuli can reach the 60 point mark someday, but I just think he's (in general) gonna score ~20 goals and under 50 points. And this season, he'll likely end up well below those marks.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 09:33 AM
LaPlante94

Hard to say but I will say that I doubt he'll be a 30 goal scorer again anytime soon. He's not a useless player but maybe him playing 3rd line minutes will be better for him.

LaPlante94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Pi

He's playing decently but the points just aren't there. I expected him to shoot below the 17% percent but I still think he's a 20-25 goal scorer along with 25-35 assists..

This is probably his worst season since entering the league, it might help Burke get him long term for much cheaper . 3.5 x 4 or 5 would be great.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 10:58 AM
WTFMAN99

Playing well, really just not having a whole lot of luck right now with the puck. Stats are not telling the whole story with the guy this year.

WTFMAN99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

I am actually trying to acquire him in a keeper league. I think he is the real deal, the goals will come, the assists are starting. He plays solid two-way hockey, he is very streaky, and can pile up the goals. I think the death of his friends may still be bothering him, his game will come around, he is way too good. he had a slow start either last year or the year before and started tearing it up.

I would keep him.

Blaylock38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:24 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
The guy is currently on pace for 6 goals and 35 points. Last season he hit 30 goals due to a career high shooting % of 17%. His previous two seasons were around 11%. And currently it's at 5%. I think what we'll normally get from Kuli is probably 20ish goals and 50 or under points. I know some might think that 50 point prediction is a bit too low, but last season he had 3 things going for him 1) really high shot pct 2) he played a full 82 games 3) unusually great chemistry with linemates who in turn both also played a full season (grabo missed 1 game). Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be too surprised if Kuli can reach the 60 point mark someday, but I just think he's (in general) gonna score ~20 goals and under 50 points. And this season, he'll likely end up well below those marks.
TSN Scott Cullen - NHL production predictions for 2012

93. Nikolai Kulemin - Toronto - RW .. 80 games 26 goals 25 assists 51 points

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/feature/?fid=49646

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Andrew Mack

We'd be better off bringing in another top six forward and bumping Kulemin down to the 3rd line. I have always felt he was an elite third-liner. Totally reliable defensively, great on the forecheck with a wicked wrist shot, but not a consistent offensive producer. Has that not been the byline on him since he played in Russia? He has always been projected as a third-liner, I have always seen that reliability from him and thought it was a safe spot, but my resolve was shaken when he threw up 30 goals last season and I thought maybe I was mistaken. But this year right back down to Earth.

Great player and a perfect third-liner. With a healthy Armstrong, those two on the wings will really insulate a center like Colborne, though obviously Colborne is a little further down the depth chart if everyone is healthy. I think that'd be a solid third-line. However until we get another strong top six winger, we'll need Kulemin to sub in and hey, he's certainly been up to the task in the past.

I sort of feel similar about Mac but he seems to be a little less responsible but a little more creative offensively. But obviously Grabovski has always been the straw that stirs the drink for that line.

Andrew Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 11:44 AM
SteveV*

I'm a big fan of Kuli, but people saying he's playing well, what are you watching really? No touch, no passing ability, no cycle, no grit, defensively docile. I defended Kuli early in the year, thinking it was too early to get on is case, but seriously, he's been a liability and bears no resemblance whatsoever to past form, not just goals either.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Having a rough star, he'll resign for cheap, and bounce back as a steady 20 goal guy.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

He aslo has 5 pts in his last 8 games. So he's been in on the plays. and a +4 in the last 6 games so may he hasn't been a liability either.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Jerkini

It looked like his physicality was toned down three notches after he had his face mangled by Tim Gleason. Honestly I think he needs to spend sometime in the press box to shake it up.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

vCash: 4064
A guy who everybody was saying is our best all around player, some were saying he was our best forward, and a few predicted he had not reached his ceiling and could get closer to 40g... You now want to put on our third line and say he is a third liner? I had modest expectations of Kulemin to begin with, but now everybody seems to think he is a third liner...

He's having an extended slump, Kessel didn't score a single goal for like 14 games last year, it may be a bad slump; but i fully expect Kulemin to be back around his totals from last year/a little less over his career.

Don't put the guy on the 3rd line now... He hasn't been a liability, and IMHO he is the reason the KGM line played so well and consistent last year. I also really think some offensive creativity on that line would help, since Grabo and Kulemin are pretty good 2-way players, I would like to see Kadri work his way onto that line, it would help him so much.

Community is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 01:08 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by august View Post
He was very impressive last year, but this year is stats are not very good.

Is he a one year wonder a la Andrei Kostistytn are is he the real deal?

I have an offer for him in a keeper league, but I would like to have your opinion on him.
Leaf fans have ZERO patience. Through players under the bus regularly. Defensemen even more so.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
A guy who everybody was saying is our best all around player, some were saying he was our best forward, and a few predicted he had not reached his ceiling and could get closer to 40g... You now want to put on our third line and say he is a third liner? I had modest expectations of Kulemin to begin with, but now everybody seems to think he is a third liner...

He's having an extended slump, Kessel didn't score a single goal for like 14 games last year, it may be a bad slump; but i fully expect Kulemin to be back around his totals from last year/a little less over his career.

Don't put the guy on the 3rd line now... He hasn't been a liability, and IMHO he is the reason the KGM line played so well and consistent last year. I also really think some offensive creativity on that line would help, since Grabo and Kulemin are pretty good 2-way players, I would like to see Kadri work his way onto that line, it would help him so much.
The suggestion to demote him to the 3rd line is based on his current struggles offensively and lack of production as a result, not his skill level.

A third line is often utilized as a checking shutdown unit, and Kulemin excels at the defensive side of the game, so even when he isn't scoring he is helping the team still in that role.

Nothing wrong that I could see with putting a hotter stick in a top 6 position temporarily while Kully finds his offense touch again.

12-03-2011, 01:37 PM
showtime8

Can someone please explain to me that despite the puck not going in the net, what exactly he is doing wrong?

I think his overall game is still where it should be. His body position on players and compete hasn't diminshed. He is still effective on the cycle and plays a 200 foot game.

Yes he had a career year last year, but I'll take a guy that plays a 200 foot game any day of the week over a guy that will score 25 goals.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 01:40 PM
a a ron
Tyler the franchise

he should change his role and be a fighter. thats what i think.

a a ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
Can someone please explain to me that despite the puck not going in the net, what exactly he is doing wrong?

I think his overall game is still where it should be. His body position on players and compete hasn't diminshed. He is still effective on the cycle and plays a 200 foot game.

Yes he had a career year last year, but I'll take a guy that plays a 200 foot game any day of the week over a guy that will score 25 goals.
Well ideally Kulemin is that player that can score 25-35 goals and play a 200 foot game effectively so its doesn't have to be an either/or decision in his case.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 02:33 PM
DaveT83*

I too like Kulie on any teams third line.

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 02:38 PM
bfire

If people close to you died in a plane crash would you be playing well? Give this guy a year pass and shut the hell up.

bfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 02:44 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntleddave View Post
He's really struggling, not playing the game he did last year. He's had some flashes of his prior play this year, but nothing sustained.

Most of us think he'll find his way back to his game eventually, but I'm not so sure it'll happen soon enough.
^ pretty much this. we all like how well he played last year, and we all want him to land a bigger contract as an RFA next year. at this point he's not going to get it. he is showing heart out there and trying his a** off to work through his funk. hopefully he turns things around for the late playoff push.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Bob Loblawbrovsky
Asthma got me swole

He's still one of the hardest working guys out there imo. Just can't catch a break.

Bob Loblawbrovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 04:12 PM
wisdomkid

TBH i dont really care that he isnt scoring goals. He is playing really good defensively, and like others said he is one of the hardest working leaf. We are one of the highest scoring teams in the league, and with guys like Lupul and Connolly emerging its alright if Kulimen dosent score.

wisdomkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 04:24 PM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Leaf fans have ZERO patience. Through players under the bus regularly. Defensemen even more so.
this, id keep him, i think he is a good top 6 forward that can put up 20+ goals season after season.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote