HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Measuring shot speed

Old
11-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

vCash: 500
Measuring shot speed

I want to figure out how fast my shot is but ofcourse I don't got anything to do it with. I've seen those pucks that are made for it that are under 10 dollars.

Anyone know how good they are? I.e compared with a radar?
Would it be safe to bring to practice (Will it break?)?
Has anyone used one?
Is there a better option?

Thanks

Jacob8hockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 06:03 PM
nullterm

I had an idea to write an iPhone/Android app that could do that. Haven't got around to it though. Wonder if people would spend 0.99 on something like that.

And no, I don't mean by shooting your phone against a wall. hahaha

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 07:29 PM
Semper Sens

Make a line a known distance from your net, film yourself shooting so the puck leaves your stick at that line. The longer the distance the more accurate this will be. Use the video to measure the amount of time it takes the puck to travel the distance to the net then Speed = distance divided by time.

Edit: Better yet, shoot from before a line (say 5 feet before it) that marks a known distance to another line, then find time puck the puck crosses that line to when it passes another line from video. Same formula. Again, the longer the distance between the two lines, the less your calc will be affected by the error on the time measurement from the video.

So

you _5ft__ line runs perpendicular to path of puck ____ known distance ____ line runs perp to path of puck ___ net

Last edited by Semper Sens: 11-20-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:05 AM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
I bet I could make a ton of cash with a radar gun at a rink, betting guys on how fast their shots were.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 01:38 PM
trtaylor

Well, there was an app for this. See http://weisstechhockey.com/blog/1885...un-iphone-app/

But, for some reason has been pulled from the market.
http://speedhero.com/sh/main/Ice%20hockey

trtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 04:26 PM
RoninNYR

anyone experience this?

http://www.hockeytrain.com/demon-hot-radar-puck.html

RoninNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 07:02 PM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by trtaylor View Post
Well, there was an app for this. See http://weisstechhockey.com/blog/1885...un-iphone-app/

But, for some reason has been pulled from the market.
http://speedhero.com/sh/main/Ice%20hockey
Pretty much the same idea I had. I did tests using audio recorded from my iPhone and was able to do the math myself about how fast I was shooting.

I'd guess it was pulled cause soccer sounds would be harder to register. But hockey audio is easier to analyze with the stick and solid rubber puck.

Old
11-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Stickmata

You can rent a radar gun for about $40. Get a few guys to chip in a few bucks and take it to the rink. I've tried it but everytime we used it on my shot the readout just said 'Lightning'...

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 01:37 AM
Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Pretty much the same idea I had. I did tests using audio recorded from my iPhone and was able to do the math myself about how fast I was shooting.

I'd guess it was pulled cause soccer sounds would be harder to register. But hockey audio is easier to analyze with the stick and solid rubber puck.

What app did you use?

Old
11-22-2011, 02:37 AM
nullterm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo View Post
What app did you use?
Oh, I just recorded audio of me at a lacrosse box, then looked at the sound waveform in an audio editor to measure the time between shot and ball/puck hitting the boards.

But I could write an app that does the same thing automatically. I'm tempted just todo it for myself, but super busy at the moment with other apps I'm releasing and updating in the next month.

Old
11-22-2011, 04:05 AM
Narut

i like the idea with the audio much, maybe i will try it with my shot

i just want to say something about the example of measuring the destance and time of the puck

you are right that the longer the way u are measring the more accurate is ur calculation.

the problem is the longer the way is the more the puck will slow down. u calculate the average speed of the way and with a longer way u will move away more and mroe from ur top speed. so i think the idea with the audio is better because u can measure a small time line very accurate with waveline-tools.

Narut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:41 AM
Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Oh, I just recorded audio of me at a lacrosse box, then looked at the sound waveform in an audio editor to measure the time between shot and ball/puck hitting the boards.

But I could write an app that does the same thing automatically. I'm tempted just todo it for myself, but super busy at the moment with other apps I'm releasing and updating in the next month.
Yeah, i downloaded an app that that would show the times down to the 100th of a second on a waveform, but it was hard to figure out precise distances at the rink I was at today, it wasn't regulation size so I didn't trust any of the measurements from a normal rink.