HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sbisa is in Carlyle's doghouse - or even on his way out?

Old
11-22-2011, 11:52 AM
elduderino

vCash: 500
Sbisa is in Carlyle's doghouse - or even on his way out?

There were two articles about Sbisa's situation in Anaheim the last few days in one of the biggest Swiss newspapers:

http://www.20min.ch/sport/eishockey/story/20446436

http://www.20min.ch/sport/eishockey/story/22584695

It's in german and the writer likes to sensationalize Sbisa's potential a lot, but despite it I think the article shows that there could be a fallout in the very near future, maybe even a trade.
Apparently Carlyle and Sbisa don't get along.

IMHO Sbisa is a very good example of how you don't develop a good prospect and I'm still amazed that Carlyle won't let him play the way he used to in juniors and in Philly.
I have the impression you guys don't really get the information why Sbisa plays the way he plays. Carlyle wants him to be a defensive defenseman. If Sbisa tries to engage in an offensive play, he gets benched.

I know there's a lot of debate on this board about Sbisa's potential and future role on this team, especially after signing his 4-year deal this offseason. But as a frequent watcher of the Flyers I can tell you that I'm still confused about the way Sbisa gets used in Carlyle's system. It was evident in Philly that this kid needs the trust of his coaches to play at his best. We saw it last year after training camp, Sbisa was just not confident enough in his abilities. Since this kid plays for the Ducks, he just completely changed. There are no signs left of his offensive rushes, one on one plays, etc. All the things that made this young player exciting to watch as a Flyer are gone.

elduderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

This sounds like a bunch of absolute ********* to me. Since Lubo went down, Sbisa has been averaging as much time as Lydman. Not to mention, Sbisa has really started to play well this year and has seemed extremely willing to convert his style of play to that of a physical shutdown defenseman. Sbisa's also had times when he's tried to be more offensive, usually leading to turnovers and I can't remember Carlyle ever benching him for it.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 12:26 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dreams View Post
This sounds like a bunch of absolute ********* to me. Since Lubo went down, Sbisa has been averaging as much time as Lydman. Not to mention, Sbisa has really started to play well this year and has seemed extremely willing to convert his style of play to that of a physical shutdown defenseman. Sbisa's also had times when he's tried to be more offensive, usually leading to turnovers and I can't remember Carlyle ever benching him for it.
Yeah agreed.

Sbisa has a far better chance of being a physical shutdown defenceman then a 2 way or offensive defenseman IMO.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 12:28 PM
parrosfan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Yeah agreed.

Sbisa has a far better chance of being a physical shutdown defenceman then a 2 way or offensive defenseman IMO.
But according to most people here, Carlyle does not know how to develop prospects, so he obviously could be a offensive defenceman.

parrosfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 12:29 PM
mightyquack
You're the man Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrosfan16 View Post
But according to most people here, Carlyle does not know how to develop prospects, so he obviously could be a offensive defenceman.

Is it too late for Brookbank to become an offensive defenceman, I really think there is some talent there, he's just not used right

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Gliff
Kesbae

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dreams View Post
I agree. I think the main reason he is still on the third pairing is to babysit Brokeback. The one game he was on the second pairing with Lydman was the worst game Brook has had all year BY FAR.

Gliff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Yup. I'm with everyone else. It's a lot of crap.

Maybe in the future Sbisa will show more capability to play offensively and be as effective, but right now he's at his best when he focuses on defense, and it's not a small difference.

I've also never seen him get benched for trying to do more offensively. Not once. He's more prone to mistake when he does, but it seems like Sbisa gets the message for the most part, and he's willing to simplify. Every so often he'll try to do more than he should, and he makes those mistakes, but I think he's taken a big step this season in that regards.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Yup. I'm with everyone else. It's a lot of crap.

Maybe in the future Sbisa will show more capability to play offensively and be as effective, but right now he's at his best when he focuses on defense, and it's not a small difference.

I've also never seen him get benched for trying to do more offensively. Not once. He's more prone to mistake when he does, but it seems like Sbisa gets the message for the most part, and he's willing to simplify. Every so often he'll try to do more than he should, and he makes those mistakes, but I think he's taken a big step this season in that regards.
Totally agree with what everyone has said. Simple fact is Sbisa is a player with a ton of talent but a seemingly low hockey IQ. Follow him in a game and you'll notice how poor some of his angles are and how often he has shots blocked. Both signs of between the ears issues.

I will say I think Sbisa confidence has taken a hit(who's hasn't on this team). He is somewhere between Olympic Sbisa and the Sbisa we see now.

Professor John Frink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Paul4587

I'm with everyone else, Sbisa makes way too many mistakes when he tries to play an offensive game. At this point he's best playing within his limits and not taking chances.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 02:21 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Sbisa has been one of our more positive players. He's been better defensively than Lydman. I'm really impressed with him this year. He's been quietly doing everything right. He's even improved his offense a bit.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
I'm with everyone else, Sbisa makes way too many mistakes when he tries to play an offensive game. At this point he's best playing within his limits and not taking chances.
And I think the key phrase is "at this point" because we're talking about a defenseman who is going to turn 22 shortly. As he grows and matures as a player, he might be able to work a more offensive game into his play, and show more of the two-way play that was initially expected of him. Maybe it doesn't happen, and his offensive game just never translates at the NHL level, but he's not helping anyone(including himself) by trying to play a game he's not ready for.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
And I think the key phrase is "at this point" because we're talking about a defenseman who is going to turn 22 shortly. As he grows and matures as a player, he might be able to work a more offensive game into his play, and show more of the two-way play that was initially expected of him. Maybe it doesn't happen, and his offensive game just never translates at the NHL level, but he's not helping anyone(including himself) by trying to play a game he's not ready for.
I'll agree with this and just join the general pile-on.

Sbisa looks much better right now because he's playing minutes and situations that he can handle. That's on the coaching staff, btw, for all the automatic haters out there.

Spicy Porkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

After reading it, I am not worried. There's really nothing in there, at all. No basis. There's one stereotypical quote from Sbisa, the rest is the author venting and grasping at straws. I think Sbisa signing the contract he did said a lot more about his relation to Carlyle and how fairly he believes be's being treated in the organisation than this writer makes up. Especially the 2nd piece - coming up two days after the 1st one - simply seems like poor writing. He ends up saying that Sbisa has more time to prove himself than Carlyle, pointing to his team's losing record. Really sounds like nothing but sour grapes from an unrealistic fan.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Gliff
Kesbae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
After reading it, I am not worried. There's really nothing in there, at all. No basis. There's one stereotypical quote from Sbisa, the rest is the author venting and grasping at straws. I think Sbisa signing the contract he did said a lot more about his relation to Carlyle and how fairly he believes be's being treated in the organisation than this writer makes up. Especially the 2nd piece - coming up two days after the 1st one - simply seems like poor writing. He ends up saying that Sbisa has more time to prove himself than Carlyle, pointing to his team's losing record. Really sounds like nothing but sour grapes from an unrealistic fan.
Is this guy a well known writer? or is he an armchair GM

Old
11-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
Is this guy a well known writer? or is he an armchair GM
Not being from Switzerland, I know that paper by name, but that's about it. No idea. Given this, it would be kind of embarrassing if he was a well known writer. Maybe for a yellow press paper, but it seemed to have more resemblance to an armchair GM throwing a quick post together venting over a guy he loves being misused than an actual article. He didn't seem to have any sources, either.

Maybe he actually is a big name writer, and maybe he usually is connected, but this really didn't offer anything. That said, there are incredibly few writers that are informed about the NHL on big newspapers in most of continental Europe. (I would imagine it's better in Scandinavia.) The league barely gets any coverage, so when it does, it concerns the few national players, and the articles are being done by the guys that write about the game in that area and are - admittedly necessarily - very superficial to not ask too much of an audience that wants little more than to know how their guy is doing over there, and there's no telling if those guys even watch a handful of NHL games a year. Not saying that's necessarily the way it is with this guy, but he didn't exactly offer anything that would have me question it.

Old
11-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Gliff
Kesbae

ya sounds to me like a disgruntled fan with too much time on his hands.

Old
11-22-2011, 06:58 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

Sbisa's minutes and role has increased since the season started.

As logic would say, the article has no truth.

QFT

c4rcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Gliff
Kesbae

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4rcy View Post

QFT
When was the last time all of us agreed about something....... I think its getting dark outside....

Old
11-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
When was the last time all of us agreed about something....... I think its getting dark outside....
Getting dark? It's been dark over here for 9 hours. Damn winter...!

Old
11-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Gliff
Kesbae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Getting dark? It's been dark over here for 9 hours. Damn winter...!
go to bed

are you actually in Germany?

Old
11-23-2011, 01:26 AM
swissexpert

And even swiss bias Sbisa homer guy swissexpert agrees about calling this writer overreacting.
I wouldn't say he's happy with his role so far, but that's alll you can take out of this article. Otherwise, I still think he'd excel in a top 4 role and could be effective offensively but that's another point.
Am I the only one who still thinks he and Cam could form a solid 1st pairing one day?

swissexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 04:28 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
go to bed

are you actually in Germany?
I sure did, and yes, indeed I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissexpert View Post
Am I the only one who still thinks he and Cam could form a solid 1st pairing one day?
At this point, I certainly think there's no reason to discard the possibility. Many defenseman come into their eventual own at a significantly older age than Sbisa is now.

Old
11-24-2011, 12:56 AM
swissexpert

26 mins instead of 13 for him tonight. How come? And how did he look? (thanks god), I wasn't able to watch the game

swissexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:45 AM
Selanne138

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissexpert View Post
26 mins instead of 13 for him tonight. How come? And how did he look? (thanks god), I wasn't able to watch the game
Sbisa looked fine, I didnt notice him too much, which IMO means he did his job.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:00 AM
bumperkisser

sbisa reminds me of like a better beauch.. i think thats his ceiling.. just a solid complementary #1 or a stud #2..

solid stay at home d-man with pretty decent outlet passes.. prone to the bonehead turnover from time to time.. actually the more i write this the more i'm seeing fowler as our nieds and sbisa as our pronger(obviously not as good).

sbisa is not really gonan skate the puck out but hes got a decent first pass.. hes got the physical edge that pronger has although not the nastiness but still..

i'd like to see fowler-(solid d-man like beach)
and then sbisa-vatanen(or a great/slick puck mover with great offensive capabilities)

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote