HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best goalie equipment package?

Old
11-17-2011, 09:20 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

vCash: 500
Best goalie equipment package?

I'm looking to jump right into playing goalie, street hockey is usually a better option around me. Does anyone know a solid package of pads, blocker, glove, helmet, etc. that come altogether that isn't cheap material? Price isn't a gigantic issue, I'm willing to spend $250+

I was looking at this but don't know what to think of it.

Thanks a ton!

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Thepandamancan

You will get hurt playing with this set, even with just a ball. Your cheapest bet is to get the Reebok 2K series.

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Reebo...age-RL2KS.html

If you scroll down you'll see the matching gloves. I wouldn't get that chest protector though...I had it and while the chest is protected the arms are not and I got a lot of bruises from it. I had this set for a few months before I finally made the jump to a real set and it's great...it was perfect for the weekly ball/street hockey game but when I moved to roller hockey games it started to show it's limitations.

Your best case, but still cheap scenario, is to get the new Bauer RX4 series which is also available from this site but it's gonna cost you twice as much as the RBK 2Ks.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2011, 10:43 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Hey man, thanks a lot for your help. That's definitely a set that I would buy. Can I just order it as it however? I'm 6' and about 180 pounds... does it matter?

edit: Also, how can you tell that I'd get hurt with a set like that? Everyone in the review portion loved them for some reason.

Last edited by OriginJM: 11-17-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old
11-18-2011, 12:11 AM
Thepandamancan

Well, figure out what size will fit you best...at 6ft you're probably a candidate for the 2K pads in a 34" but that may still be a bit too small for you.

As for getting hurt, those pads are very thin and poorly made. The gloves aren't very padded either. When I got with just basic wristers, I could feel it and over a whole game getting hit in the same spot, it started to hurt real bad.

The 2K set will give you your fair share of lumps, but I still think it gives you a better chance than the street hockey set.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 07:59 AM
pelts35.com

Just to clarify, you want to spend around $250 for everything including mask?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2011, 09:19 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Just to clarify, you want to spend around $250 for everything including mask?
I could go a bit higher, but nothing incredibly out there. I was thinking also to get some barely used stuff of of Craigslist/Ebay as well.

Old
11-18-2011, 10:22 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
I could go a bit higher, but nothing incredibly out there. I was thinking also to get some barely used stuff of of Craigslist/Ebay as well.
It's your body and the bruises you'll get from cheap equipment, but I can't say that I would be willing to get out there with a full set of gear that is less than $300.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 01:35 PM
greyraven8

For street hockey I wouldn't go with the street hockey set. Better protection with actual goalie gear - even really beat up used stuff would work.

Check out kijiji & craigslist (ebay may be okay but be sure to look at shipping costs). If you found something you think would work could even email kijiji & craigslist ads from other towns and see if they will ship.

Local thrift shops and yard sales are hit and miss in my area - not much in the way of goalie stuff but it is usually cheap when it shows up. Play-it-again and other used sports stores will have stuff but maybe not in your price range.

If you know some goalies that are 'gear ******' they may have some old equipment they would be willing to sell you or may know other goalies with stuff.
Check bulletin boards at your local rinks.

For street hockey, I found a fairly good used goalie stick, 32" leg pads, and old chest protector, well used glove & blocker for well under $100 - mostly on kijiji, some at thrift store.

The most expensive will probably be a mask. For street hockey you could possibly go with just a player's helmet and cage (with some throat protection). Slightly more expensive would be a player's helmet with a goalie cage (such as the sportmask sm-90). If want a goalie mask, finding a cheaper mask will be your hardest challenge. For that ebay or even the classifieds in online sites like the goalie store bulletin board may be your best shot. You may be able to find a partial or full set there as well.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:06 PM
MASE THE ACE

i wound up getting a full set off of craiglist for 300$...
just sold the leg pads/glove and blocker that came with it.

playing goalie is ridiculously expensive.
once i get my new helmet for christmas you can the old Maple Leaves one for a few bucks

MASE THE ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 02:14 PM
MASE THE ACE

id get that set + http://www.goaliemonkey.com/koho-goa...r-700-pro.html and if its just ball use a player helmet.

Old
11-30-2011, 02:15 PM
MASE THE ACE

http://goaliepads.org/ <-- used equipment