HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gm #21 Kings @ Blues, 11/22/11 - POST GAME WIN!, THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
11-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Winger23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Also, Westy looked good out there. I say scratch them both again and dress Westgarth and Hunter next game as well.
I too would dress Westy, But I would sit Hunter and Moreau. Moreau is good for at least a penalty a game and isn't providing much of anything imo.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Who?

Seriously though, me. Imagine our 3rd/4th line if we had these two instead of Hunter and one of Moreau/Lewis/Richardson We'd be dynamite. DYNOMITE!!!!
Wow, you would rather have a 3rd line plug and a prospect that hasn't shown anything in the NHL over a #1 center like Mike Richards (who is only 26)?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:07 AM
damacles1156

Did Westy have two shots on goal as well ? I know he had one for sure.

damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:44 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Where is this "ignore" button you speak of?
http://hfboards.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Did Westy have two shots on goal as well ? I know he had one for sure.
Don't know if he had 2 or not, but he was skating much better out there.

I'm one of the few that doesn't think the Kings bottom 6 is as dismal as their scoring indicates. There were 2 times on the same shift where Hunter recovered the puck in the corner and came away clean with the puck. He looked up to center the puck and the Kings had 3 players skating away and above the circles getting ready to play defense. How is Hunter supposed to score when he has no options other than to dump it back behind the net or send it to the point for a shot with no traffic in front?

It's just so frustrating to watch the Kings Perimeter offense, even when they are trailing in the game. How many times do the Kings gain the zone and do a quick stop up to allow the attacking players to pass by for a pass or to setup traffic? Most of the time the player tries to take the puck along the boards and is easily rubbed out and the puck ends up with the other team. How many times do the Kings attack the middle of the blue line? Other teams do it to the Kings all the time and the Kings have to back off because the offensive player has multiple options available to him. Attacking along the boards limits the options for the offensive player and is much easier to defend.

This is the fundamental shift that Murray needs to do to get the Kings offense on track. The Kings aren't always going to get 2 gift turnovers with their best players on the ice.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:04 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Don't know if he had 2 or not, but he was skating much better out there.

I'm one of the few that doesn't think the Kings bottom 6 is as dismal as their scoring indicates. There were 2 times on the same shift where Hunter recovered the puck in the corner and came away clean with the puck. He looked up to center the puck and the Kings had 3 players skating away and above the circles getting ready to play defense. How is Hunter supposed to score when he has no options other than to dump it back behind the net or send it to the point for a shot with no traffic in front?

It's just so frustrating to watch the Kings Perimeter offense, even when they are trailing in the game. How many times do the Kings gain the zone and do a quick stop up to allow the attacking players to pass by for a pass or to setup traffic? Most of the time the player tries to take the puck along the boards and is easily rubbed out and the puck ends up with the other team. How many times do the Kings attack the middle of the blue line? Other teams do it to the Kings all the time and the Kings have to back off because the offensive player has multiple options available to him. Attacking along the boards limits the options for the offensive player and is much easier to defend.

This is the fundamental shift that Murray needs to do to get the Kings offense on track. The Kings aren't always going to get 2 gift turnovers with their best players on the ice.
I really think that offense in today's NHL is created by broken plays, special teams aside. Every team stands up at the blue line, every team prioritizes blocking shots, and every team collapses down low when threatened. Attacking against that kind of defense is like biting on concrete. You need some way to catch defenses out of position, and the kind of grinding, cycle-to-point-shot offense that the Kings play just seems to play right into the hands of other teams' defenses. It's like WWI out there, where the enemy is all set up in their trenches, and you just keep going across no-man's land right at them, with horrific casualties.

It seems like there are basically three ways to disjoint a defense and create broken or semi-broken plays: speed, skill, and physical play. I think the Kings occasionally do it with all three, but they aren't really built to do it consistently in any one area. Thus, as we've seen, they struggle offensively and have a razor-thin margin of error when they play defense. Basically, they can win pretty consistently when the other team makes mistakes, like last night.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:05 PM
deeshamrock

NHL Network is replaying last night's game at 3 pm (EST) Noon (Pacific)

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:10 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I rewound and watched that four times last night. So damn funny, especially when he quickly checks to see if anybody was watching him.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:26 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
I rewound and watched that four times last night. So damn funny, especially when he quickly checks to see if anybody was watching him.
I think anyone who's ever been dead tired at the end of a shift has done that a time or two.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 12:46 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I watched bits and pieces of the replay. Thought the Kings were outplayed and lost the territorial battle in the first period, but good goaltending and solid defense kept it close until they could capitalize on some mistakes by the Blues.

What do you know, that can be an effective style leading to wins.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Where is this "ignore" button you speak of?
Click the person's name, a list of things will come up like send a PM to etcetc...click add to ignore list.

By the way, I liked the fourth line last night. I guess that means Westgarth should stay in the lineup. That line played probably the best either of our bottom two lines have played all season. The third line was okay too. Weird stuff.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:24 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
Don't look now, but the Kings are in 4th, only 2 points out of 1st in the conference. They must be elite!...for today.
Nope. Competitive, sure, but not elite. Look beyond the points, to the percentages (because of games in hand), and the Kings aren't 4th in the Conference -- they're fourth in the DIVISION.

San Jose - .694 (on pace for 114 points)
Phoenix - .605 (on pace for 99 points)
Dallas - .600 (on pace for 98 points)
Los Angeles - .595 (on pace for 98 points, but only through rounding)
Anaheim - .400 (on pace for 66 points)

Now, the good news is that as of right now, I project the playoff threshold to be 95 points (Edmonton is on pace for 9th at 94 points). But the bad news is that winning-wise, the Kings are the 8th-place team in the playoff race right now. Yes, there's a lot of season to go, but let's not get carried away with being in "fourth place" because the team has played the most games in the West (tied with Chicago, Edmonton, and Colorado).

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
Nope. Competitive, sure, but not elite. Look beyond the points, to the percentages (because of games in hand), and the Kings aren't 4th in the Conference -- they're fourth in the DIVISION.

San Jose - .694 (on pace for 114 points)
Phoenix - .605 (on pace for 99 points)
Dallas - .600 (on pace for 98 points)
Los Angeles - .595 (on pace for 98 points, but only through rounding)
Anaheim - .400 (on pace for 66 points)

Now, the good news is that as of right now, I project the playoff threshold to be 95 points (Edmonton is on pace for 9th at 94 points). But the bad news is that winning-wise, the Kings are the 8th-place team in the playoff race right now. Yes, there's a lot of season to go, but let's not get carried away with being in "fourth place" because the team has played the most games in the West (tied with Chicago, Edmonton, and Colorado).
You missed the point of his joke, which was that he was joking

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:28 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Nope. Competitive, sure, but not elite.
He was joking.

Quote:
Look beyond the points, to the percentages (because of games in hand), and the Kings aren't 4th in the Conference -- they're fourth in the DIVISION.
It is way, way WAY too early to be looking at standings or projections.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:34 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
He was joking.

It is way, way WAY too early to be looking at standings or projections.
I get that he was joking - I didn't make it clear that I was just using that phrase to point out something that people don't seem to be factoring into their outlook of the team at this point in time.

If it's too early to look at standings, why doesn't the league just do like the BCS, and keep them secret until they "matter" later on in the season?

That makes NO sense. I'm not saying the Kings are doomed to sneak into the playoffs as the number eight team (and the fourth Pacific Division team to qualify). I'm saying that RIGHT NOW, at this moment in time, the team is the fourth-best in the division at getting available points, not fourth-best in the conference. That's all. That's where the team is -- and where they should realize they are in terms of what they have to do in the next 61 games.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

It may be to early to look at projections, but like Hans said, these points count just as much as the ones in April.

If we miss winning the division or getting home ice by 2-3 points these November home games we didn't show up for could really hurt.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

the Brown hit is on the TSN highlights if anyone wants to see it. It was such a nothing hit though, Brown was barely moving when he laid the Blue out

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:51 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
I too would dress Westy, But I would sit Hunter and Moreau. Moreau is good for at least a penalty a game and isn't providing much of anything imo.
Moreau in 21 games has 18 pims which is only 9 penalties. He's actually tied with Brownie with 18 pims.

That's less than 1 penalty every 2 games.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:52 PM
DaAnimal

Quote:
I get that he was joking - I didn't make it clear that I was just using that phrase to point out something that people don't seem to be factoring into their outlook of the team at this point in time.

If it's too early to look at standings, why doesn't the league just do like the BCS, and keep them secret until they "matter" later on in the season?

That makes NO sense. I'm not saying the Kings are doomed to sneak into the playoffs as the number eight team (and the fourth Pacific Division team to qualify). I'm saying that RIGHT NOW, at this moment in time, the team is the fourth-best in the division at getting available points, not fourth-best in the conference. That's all. That's where the team is -- and where they should realize they are in terms of what they have to do in the next 61 games.
Agreed. I will be happy if we make it to the playoffs. I would be thrilled if we win the stanley cup, perhaps, i would go streaking on colorado blvd in pasadena.

Watching the game last night, yes the first period was ugly but the 2nd and 3rd, completely different team. JB was lights out, how often do you get praises from the Doc about the Kings?

My only complaint is really about our consistency play. Can we maintain our scoring chances? Can we keep playing like we are in the playoffs every game? etc etc etc. I personally think consistency is the key to being an "elite team." We really don't need the stamkos or the crosbys on our team in order to be elite. It would be nice to have them, don't get me wrong, but we need players and leaders like Richards, Kopitar, Brown (at times), JJ, DD, and etc. These guys are poised to win, these guys want to bring the cup to LA, they are hungry every night! I believe in this team, I believe this year and the following will be our year, Go Kings GO.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
It may be to early to look at projections, but like Hans said, these points count just as much as the ones in April.

If we miss winning the division or getting home ice by 2-3 points these November home games we didn't show up for could really hurt.
well, just as long as we keep seeing the glass as half empty - strike that - that there's actually not even a glass,

then everything will be normal in Kingsland....

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAnimal View Post
Agreed. I will be happy if we make it to the playoffs. I would be thrilled if we win the stanley cup, perhaps, i would go streaking on colorado blvd in pasadena.
this offer is accepted on behalf of YouTube

Quote:
Watching the game last night, yes the first period was ugly but the 2nd and 3rd, completely different team. JB was lights out, how often do you get praises from the Doc about the Kings?
Not since they were in the playoffs last year and on the way to jumping the Shark, if you know what I mean....

Quote:
My only complaint is really about our consistency play. Can we maintain our scoring chances? Can we keep playing like we are in the playoffs every game? etc etc etc. I personally think consistency is the key to being an "elite team." We really don't need the stamkos or the crosbys on our team in order to be elite. It would be nice to have them, don't get me wrong, but we need players and leaders like Richards, Kopitar, Brown (at times), JJ, DD, and etc. These guys are poised to win, these guys want to bring the cup to LA, they are hungry every night! I believe in this team, I believe this year and the following will be our year, Go Kings GO.
Captures my take as well... consistency is everything in system play. Review the Detroit game. They just kept coming and playing the variations available within their structure. The Kings played exactly like that in the prior three games but were unable to pull it off against the Wings. (1pm start is an LA jinx) The Kings were a dominant, attacking, swarming team in those three wins. Now they have to keep raising that level to match the elite teams. They will be there in late January.

OTOH, it wouldn't hurt to have a pure sniper running around shooting from every angle at every opportunity to shake things up. A sniper must be relieved of many defensive responsibilities. Our team is definitely ready for that kind of player. (Herby can call for the "Return of the Camalleri" - not going to happen.)

Maybe Toffoli comes up in Feb and can light it up - if team defense can cover his inexperience and inevitable mistakes. I'd be interested in reading how other posters feel about that.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:09 PM
DaAnimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Maybe Toffoli comes up in Feb and can light it up - if team defense can cover his inexperience and inevitable mistakes. I'd be interested in reading how other posters feel about that.
I thought Toffoli is more of a gritty offensive player, kinda like Brown but a little bit bigger? Is he really purely just offense?

I know he has a lot of potential and is playing really well, but can he be the answer to our scoring woes?

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Conversation #1

Kings fan 1:

"The Kings are 4th in the conference"

Kings fan 2:

"Yeah but the other teams have games in hand, percentage-wise the Kings aren't in 4th"

Kings fan 1:

"Yeah but those teams have to win those games and they haven't played them yet"

Conversation #2

Kings fan 1:

"Hey, the Kings are 4th in the division but they have games in hand on the teams ahead of them"

Kings fan 2:

"Yeah but games in hand aren't games won so they don't mean anything until they win them"

That is how it works around here.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:17 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
the Brown hit is on the TSN highlights if anyone wants to see it. It was such a nothing hit though, Brown was barely moving when he laid the Blue out
Just saw it. People are complaining about that?

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:20 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenKing18 View Post
Just saw it. People are complaining about that?
People ***** about everything when it comes to Brown.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote