Another NHL team coming to Canada?

Old
12-02-2011, 07:36 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jets View Post
I think the original poster was referring to Roy coaching the *new* Nordiques.
My post was refering to Duke and the quote he posted.

Should have quoted him but I was lazy lol

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:10 PM
NODLR
The Dog House

vCash: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
lol no, PKP isn't footing anything actually (well towards arena construction). Unlike in Winnipeg, the arena will not be owned by the group; it will be owned by the city. So its going to be a different set-up than what we have (I think it will work for them)

Its going to be ~$400MM, and from what I last saw, 50% is from the city of Quebec, 50% from the Provincial Government.

PKP/Quebecor have entered a deal regarding the naming rights, running the arena, etc...which is a certain amount currently, and I think it will double should an NHL team become the main tenant of the building.

So, theoretically, should no NHL team ever come to be the main tenant, PKP has already signed off on managing the arena. I don't recall the prices...I think $50-100MM without NHL, upwards of $200MM with an NHL team, over whatever the term of the contract is.

He has a great personal investment and invested interest that an NHL team should become the main tenant by the time the arena opens, so he will be actively pursuing one. Behind the scenes.

Personally, even taking inflation into account (what the MTS Centre would cost today if it were built) I don't think they need to spend $400MM on it....but its going to be adjacent to where the current arena is, which is sort of an "amusement" ground akin to how Polo Park is an anchor for a large retail area. That arena is going to be demolished, and there are plans to have office space and additional retail perhaps residential developments occur there, how Ottawa went about their business (I recall an Ottawa Sens mod explaining that). And the initial designs look really nice...its going to be a hell of an arena.
Kooky, thanks.

Now just the matter of getting a team in there *cough*phoenix*cough* so that they can play out of Le Colisée until the new building is complete.

The only other hurdle once this PKP/city/province deal is complete is the NHL and the BoG's (read GB); would they be receptive to this

Last edited by NODLR: 12-02-2011 at 08:37 PM.
NODLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 08:34 PM
blueandgoldguy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
I think the team must have some impact on the economy. What's the team payroll this year? $45 million? Manitoba's cut (income tax) is approximately $7.8 million and the Fed cut is about $13 million. Every year. Oh, wait...there's also the Manitoba payroll tax: 2.15% of total payroll = another $1,000,000. And that's just on player salaries...not counting the money they spend buying and furnishing houses, dining out, buying cars, throwing after-parties at night clubs, shopping at Harry Rosen, etc...

That's the tip of the iceberg: parking, Moxie's-4play-Tavern-BP, hotels, 800 millionaires chartering planes into Richardson Airport each winter (i.e. visiting teams)...maybe it's a drop in the bucket for Chicago, LA and New York, but I think Manitoba would see a measurable impact from this kind of economic activity.
Thing is, the money spent on the Jets would have been spent on other entertainment options or other products if they never came back to Winnipeg. Those places would have to hire more people and/or increase current employees hours which ultimately means more taxes collected by the various levels of government. Having millionaire hockey players getting paid In Manitoba will have little if any appreciable impact on the local economy. Money is just being shifted around.

We're already seeing the impact of the Jets on other entertainment options. The story in the Free Press yesterday discussed the drop in revenues among the Arts community in Winnipeg (MTC, Symphony Orchesra, etc.).

AS for the OPs question, I think Quebec will get a team in the next year. It's just too bad Quebecor doesn't have more money in the game.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 03:37 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnatibaH View Post
Kooky, thanks.

Now just the matter of getting a team in there *cough*phoenix*cough* so that they can play out of Le Colisée until the new building is complete.

The only other hurdle once this PKP/city/province deal is complete is the NHL and the BoG's (read GB); would they be receptive to this

Yes, and rumour is that PKP is doing his due diligence behind the scenes, in fact has been on good terms with the NHL for a few years already, and the mayor has met with GB many times since 2009 to discuss NHL in Quebec City. Its all rumour of course, other than the mayor admitting a few times to media he's met with GB, but its something to keep the "make it 8" faithful something to look forward to

All is needed is a team, likely the Coyotes should no resolution come to pass, and GB wooed. Hopefully this is easy since the return to Winnipeg was (and is) a huge success, though courting an NHL team is no easy matter or simple matter, even if one should be made available, which is not 100% clear yet even if it looks that way.

The deal itself is actually already signed off on, and in September this year it was awarded to a consortium, led by SNC-Lavalin, which teamed up with 3 other firms; ABCP from Montreal, GLCRM from Quebec City, and Populous from the US (architectural firms to aid with the arena and additional developments)

in fact, if anyone is interested, you can check out some of the official drawings here from the city's website: http://www.ville.quebec.qc.ca/temp/a...laurentien.pdf
(*sorry it is in french, but its got some drawings of the vision that first came out last fall and was awarded this fall to SNC Lavalin)

hopefully this gives those who have not been following Quebec City's recent arena/NHL ambitions too closely some solid information, and those who may not have been aware of how far QC is but would love to see a team there some good news.

Last edited by roccerfeller: 12-03-2011 at 03:46 PM.
roccerfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 05:50 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Has anyone been keeping up with the Coyotes/Glendale saga?

The latest news is that City Manager Ed Beasley has announced his retirement. Since he was the guy primarily in charge of dealing with potential owners and finding a way to keep the team in Glendale, you'd have to imagine he'd be the scapegoat if the team left and would probably lose his job.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2011, 07:13 PM
darksociety

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Thing is, the money spent on the Jets would have been spent on other entertainment options or other products if they never came back to Winnipeg. Those places would have to hire more people and/or increase current employees hours which ultimately means more taxes collected by the various levels of government. Having millionaire hockey players getting paid In Manitoba will have little if any appreciable impact on the local economy. Money is just being shifted around.

We're already seeing the impact of the Jets on other entertainment options. The story in the Free Press yesterday discussed the drop in revenues among the Arts community in Winnipeg (MTC, Symphony Orchesra, etc.).

AS for the OPs question, I think Quebec will get a team in the next year. It's just too bad Quebecor doesn't have more money in the game.
It's a convincing argument, but I can't help but wonder if the same couldn't be said for any new development in the community. What will Ikea 'take away' from existing retailers?

I'm interested in what effect the Jets (will) have on money staying in-province as opposed to going to Mexico, Cuba, or Banff.

darksociety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 07:02 AM
IceCapsFanNL

Well, all I can say is that I am all for this, and lets make 'er eight!! ( then nine for Hamilton)

IceCapsFanNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 08:00 AM
DevilsAnimal*

Markham Marksmen, make it happen

DevilsAnimal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Conflicted Habs fan

Interesting, Quebec takes this realignment as a clue to the Nordiques return. their "Nordiquometre" has advanced a notch:
http://www.nordiquometre.com/

Conflicted Habs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:23 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflicted Habs fan View Post
Interesting, Quebec takes this realignment as a clue to the Nordiques return. their "Nordiquometre" has advanced a notch:
Bahahahaha....

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:10 AM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflicted Habs fan View Post
They must do math different in Quebec because that meter doesn't make sense.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote