HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Enough of Boyle Getting 3rd Line Minutes Already...

Old
11-07-2011, 01:25 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

vCash: 500
Enough of Boyle Getting 3rd Line Minutes Already...

I hate to rant during such a nice winning streak, but enough is enough of him.

Last year he averaged around 17 minutes a game from the second half on, this year he's averaging about 15 minutes. The past 47 games he has 4 goals. A guy getting that much ice time has 4 goals and 9 points.

Moving past his complete lack of production, watching him closely this season he seriously lacks any type of hockey sense. No hockey IQ at all displayed on the ice. A guy could be open on this right side and he will force a pass to his left that is picked off. A guy could be open right next to him and he will slam it hard around the boards to nobody. Additionally he has so much trouble figuring out how to pressure the points while on the PK which cost us the Isles game a few weeks back. He was decent on the PK last season which confuses me how all of a sudden he has trouble this year.

His physical play has been pretty much nothing, and I don't think there is any Ranger this season that has been knocked down more then him.

Frankly, i'm tired of watching him get so much ice time to do nothing. I don't care who they move up to the 3rd line, but Boyle should be moved down and be playing no more then 10 minutes a game. He had a nice little streak early last season, and since then he's reverted back to a average 4th line player. Dubinsky might be struggling as well, but with him you still see him making smart plays and coming close. You don't see any of that from Boyle, or very rarely.

I know i am not alone in this assessment of Boyle since their are a ton of knowledgeable posters on this site.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:33 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2940
For the millionth time, we should have traded him when his value was high. He had a career year and I'm willing to bet he will never score 20 again. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but it's just what I think.

11-07-2011, 01:47 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
This isn't fantasy hockey. Real life teams don't trade guys on a hot streak to try to maximize their value.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:49 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

It's not like he's making a ton of money. He's a versatile role player with monstrous size and above average skating speed and hands for a guy his size. He can play all three forward positions. (heh, he actually played D when he was younger so he "could" play that as well). There's no reason to have a thread about getting rid of him right now. Get over it. Not every player is an offensive dynamo. He's been fine.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 01:59 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
It's not like he's making a ton of money. He's a versatile role player with monstrous size and above average skating speed and hands for a guy his size. He can play all three forward positions. (heh, he actually played D when he was younger so he "could" play that as well). There's no reason to have a thread about getting rid of him right now. Get over it. Not every player is an offensive dynamo. He's been fine.
Did you read my post at all? Apparently not so don't call me out on some garbage if you can't take the 30 seconds to read the post.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 02:08 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1983 View Post
Did you read my post at all? Apparently not so don't call me out on some garbage if you can't take the 30 seconds to read the post.
Why so angry? Sorry I grouped your post and kaneones together.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 03:21 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Eh I like Boyle and he serves his purpose in the bottom 6.

Swept In Seven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:33 AM
beastly115

The Boyle line has been generating chances, just nothing has been going in. They're a nightmare to face when their forecheck is going.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:05 AM
HAPPY HOUR

I think Mike is dead on with his assessment of Boyles play. It really is starting to stick out.

He looks painfully slow.
He gets knocked on his can 3 times a game.
He always takes the first face-off in the Rangers end on the PK and unless I'm just catching him just right..has lost just about everyone.

He is starting to cheat down low on the cycle and had gotten caught a bunch the last 3 games, but has been backed up well by Prust and the D-men.

The guy has to get on the ball here.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 06:49 AM
eco's bones

I'm not in any hurry to get rid of Boyle. Even if he's not scoring he's a dependable player in his own end. He is a much better skater now and has decent hands. His creativity gene might not be that great but his huge size makes up for it a bit. He hasn't been getting any pwp time but he's an option when and if the Rangers need to stick a huge body in front and he's capable of scoring on deflections. He also strikes me as a real upbeat guy in the locker room. Our version of Joel Otto.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:36 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Last season was an abberation for Boyle. I said it last year and I'll say it again, Boyle will be luck to surpass the 10 goal mark.

He's a very very medicore player who happened to have alot go right for him last year. Now he's back to being that 5+ goal kind of guy.

Was not unexpected from me.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:37 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Really pathetic how this board needs a scapegoat even when we're winning.

He's a 4th line center who is decent to good on draws, PKs, and is good in the room.

11-07-2011, 07:51 AM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post

He's a 4th line center who is decent to good on draws, PKs, and is good in the room.
Yeah, I mean, Boyle has been disappointing thus far in terms of offense, but is he really to blame for anything? It'd be different if the team was counting on him for ~20 goals, but, clearly, they're not, proven by the fact that he doesn't get much time at ES and he gets almost no PP time.

I just want to be clear here; I'm not happy with his offensive game thus far in any capacity, but it's not really something we should be complaining about when the team is 7-3-3 and coming off a 4 game win streak. He's done his job. Played well down low, killed penalties, hit, and get a few chances. He isn't getting the luck he got last year when it comes to finishing, but I think most should have expected that. He got a lot of lucky bounces last year.

I still wouldn't give up hope for him to become a solid offensive player, though. To put things into perspective, he has more goals this season than Dubinsky has, and Dubinsky is making about $2.75M more than Boyle. He was phenomenal in the preseason, and he's gotten a few chances. A bounce or two his way, and he could have 4 goals right now. It's a game of inches.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:53 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Kind of sad that fans still need to finger point on a 4 game winning streak.

Boyle is a very solid bottom 6 guy who is off to a slow start this season. He'll come around.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 07:54 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

To reiterate what another poster said, Boyle is a good presence in the locker room, is sound defensively, good on faceoffs and on the penalty kill. He is one of those grunts you wanna be in the trenches with. He will never score 20 again, but I see not reason he can't pop in 8 to 12 a year.

Plus he is young and still has time to improve. I see no reason to get rid of him.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
That about sums it up and goes back to what the OP was saying. He shouldn't be sniffing 3rd line minutes.

Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:04 AM
pld459666

Quote:

Playing 3rd line role and minutes.

If you are a 4th liner that means you are getting 4th line minutes. Not 15 minutes a night.

He's in a role that requires him to at least come close to repeating last seasons numbers. He doesn't have that ability.

He should be put on the 4th line and have his minutes relegated to 4th liner minutes. As it stands now, he's a 4th liner playing above his head on the 3rd line.

For those that say he's not hurting us, I disagree, I say yes, he is hurting us because in the role that he is playing, he needs to be more of a presence offensively, and if he's not doing that, then he is contributing to a significant weakness of secondary scoring.

Is it early still? Yes.

Can he change things for himself and the team with a little more offensive production? Not so sure he has that ability.

He's not the root cause for any of the problems we have had this year, but he hasn't helped at all.

Old
11-07-2011, 08:05 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I'm not a huge fan of Boyle. I would expect our 3rd line center to have more than 1 goal and 1 assist through 13 games. BUT, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because it's still early and he can still bounce back.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:05 AM
Bardof425*

Boyle is fine for a 4th line center. We had People clamoring for him to be moved up to 1st line LW. They need to eat a little crow as he is clueless with the puck on his stick if he's not in an obvious shooting situation. If he plays 8 - 10 minutes a night in a defensive role we will be ok. Feds deserves better linemates, however.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:07 AM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

Who should be getting those minutes, then? Deveaux? Avery? EC?

The team is a bit banged up right now. Once everyone is healthy, he should get aroung 9-10 ES minutes per night.

Old
11-07-2011, 08:08 AM
rholt168
Hank**3

He ends up getting more minutes because of how many times the Rangers have been shorthanded.

rholt168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:09 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I like Boyle, but he should never be getting more minutes than Anisimov.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 08:13 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Who should be getting those minutes, then? Deveaux? Avery? EC?

The team is a bit banged up right now. Once everyone is healthy, he should get aroung 9-10 ES minutes per night.
in a 3rd line role that requires some offense?

I'd take EC or Avery over Boyle every day and twice on sunday.

Flip side to that, I'd easily take Boyle over both if I had a 1 goal lead late in the game on the PK.

Old
11-07-2011, 08:23 AM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
in a 3rd line role that requires some offense?

I'd take EC or Avery over Boyle every day and twice on sunday.

Flip side to that, I'd easily take Boyle over both if I had a 1 goal lead late in the game on the PK.
I'd agree with you on EC, but Avery? Boyle literally had seven times the goals Avery had last season.

Old
11-07-2011, 08:35 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
I'd agree with you on EC, but Avery? Boyle literally had seven times the goals Avery had last season.
One season doesn't make the player.

Boyle has 53 career points, with 35 of those points coming last year.

Avery played a limited role last year and STILL was only 11 points off Boyles pace.

Avery is hands down. Without question the better, and more consistent offensive player between he and Brian Boyle.