HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2012, 05:51 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
For anybody watching the Crew on FSN, is Jim Day doing play-by-play? The voice sounds familiar.
That's Dwight Burgess - the voice of the Crew since day 1.

Old
03-10-2012, 06:21 PM
FANonymous

I just don't see a case for drafting a RB that high. Look at the RB's from the playoff teams, their stats and where they were drafted.

Bengals:

Cedric Benson, 1st round, 4th overall: 1067 yds 3.9 avg 6 TD

Pittsburgh:

Rashard Mendenhall, 1st round, 23rd overall: 928 yds 4.1 avg 9 TD

Denver:

Willis McGahee, 1st round, 23rd overall: 1199 yds 4.8 avg 4 TD

Houston:

Arian Foster, undrafted: 1224 yds 4.4 avg 10 TD

Baltimore:

Ray Rice, 2nd round, 55th overall: 1364 yds 4.7 avg 12 TD

New England:

BenJarvus Green-Ellis, undrafted: 667 yds 3.7 avg 11 TD

Detroit:

Jahvid Best, 1st round, 30th overall: 390 yds 4.6 avg 2 TD

Atlanta:

Michael Turner, 5th round 154 overall: 1340 yds 4.5 avg 11 TD

New York [Giants]:

Ahmad Bradshaw, 7th round, 250th overall: 659 yds 3.9 avg 9 TD
Brandon Jacobs, 4th round, 110th overall: 571 yds 3.8 avg 7 TD

New Orleans:

Darren Sproles, 4th round, 130th overall: 603 yds 6.9 avg 2 TD
Pierre Thomas, undrafted: 562 yds 5.1 avg 5 TD

San Francisco:

Frank Gore, 4rd round, 65th overall: 1211 yds 4.3 avg 8 TD

Green Bay:

James Starks, 6th round 193rd overall: 578 yds 4.3 avg 1 TD
Ryan Grant, undrafted: 559 yds 4.2 avg 2 TD

The numbers are all fairly similar ignoring the super pass-happy offenses of Green Bay, Detroit, New England, New York, and New Orleans. This is all regardless of where they drafted their running backs at.

In all of the playoff teams last year, only one team had a running back drafted in the top ten as their featured back [Cincinatti]. In fact he was the only one drafted in the top 22, and look how well they did in the post season this year. There's plenty of talent at the RB position that a top 10 pick at that position just isn't necessary to make or compete in the playoffs.

And here's a great quote from Vince Verhei in "Never Draft a Running Back Early"

Quote:
Consider this: Adrian Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings leads all players over the past five seasons with 6,752 rushing yards, followed by Maurice Jones-Drew, Steven Jackson, Chris Johnson and Michael Turner. These men have dominated the NFL's rushing statistics since 2007, but in that five-year span, they've won a total of two playoff games as starting running backs. (Turner won two more as LaDainian Tomlinson's backup with the 2007 Chargers.) As great as Peterson and his peers have been, they have failed to carry teams far into the playoffs.
Trent Richardson could be the best thing since sliced Jesus-bread, the odds remain firmly stacked against him being good enough to carry a team deep into the playoffs. A top pick is better spent to provide impact at a position where it really matters.

Old
03-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
I just don't see a case for drafting a RB that high. Look at the RB's from the playoff teams, their stats and where they were drafted.

Trent Richardson could be the best thing since sliced Jesus-bread, the odds remain firmly stacked against him being good enough to carry a team deep into the playoffs. A top pick is better spent to provide impact at a position where it really matters.
The assumption is that a single running back either can provide that huge difference or is supposed to provide that huge difference. I don't think that's the case.

I've espoused the theory that, at any given position in the league, there are between two and five A-level players, who would have success anywhere and in any system. There are between two and five F-level players, who are awful and cannot succeed anywhere. Everyone else is somewhere in between, and their success is entirely reliant on their system and circumstances.

Offense is about disrupting defensive rhythm more than anything. The school of thought that can be used is to simply go with the biggest cannon over and over (the Paul Brown/Jim Brown idea), to attack at all points with the chance that any play can become a huge one (the Indianapolis/Peyton Manning idea), or to go with nice and basic consistent football and set up the huge play (the Nebraska idea, which I believe in personally and which Earl Weaver used in Baltimore). Each of these three forces the defense to play an entirely different type of game. What Richardson does, and Peterson before him, and Tomlinson before him, is allow for the maximum effectiveness in any school of thought.

What teams tend to do with a very obvious offensive talent is believe that he'll last forever and can bear the biggest load on that side of the ball. Cleveland post-Jim Brown didn't have that much of a drop because Leroy Kelly was very similar in style and very good as well, but Detroit in a post-Barry Sanders world saw every weakness that they'd never addressed come to the forefront. The Boston Red Sox always believed that they had a dominant offense, but games away from Fenway exposed them...but they blundered for 25 years at a time thinking that the away games were anomalies. Indianapolis without Peyton Manning exposed all those weaknesses, and there were many.

Old
03-10-2012, 06:48 PM
FANonymous

But RB just isn't a huge need for the Browns and Richardson isn't the best player available at 4, so why take him? It's the same reason going after RG3 didn't make any sense. I'm not saying Colt McCoy is a super-bowl caliber QB, but swapping in new talent at the same position over and over and over without addressing the supporting cast of receivers and linemen makes absolutely no sense.

Sure if you can't resign Hillis then you have a little bit more of a problem. But if you snag a decent RB in the third round as long as you have a good line to open up holes for him, odds are that he will be more than adequate to play the position. The drop off simply isn't big enough to justify spending the 4th overall pick on Richardson.

Old
03-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
But RB just isn't a huge need for the Browns and Richardson isn't the best player available at 4, so why take him? It's the same reason going after RG3 didn't make any sense. I'm not saying Colt McCoy is a super-bowl caliber QB, but swapping in new talent at the same position over and over and over without addressing the supporting cast of receivers and linemen makes absolutely no sense.

Sure if you can't resign Hillis then you have a little bit more of a problem. But if you snag a decent RB in the third round as long as you have a good line to open up holes for him, odds are that he will be more than adequate to play the position. The drop off simply isn't big enough to justify spending the 4th overall pick on Richardson.
Trust me, if I had my way I'd take a lineman in the first round every year, then stick in a UDFA quarterback, running back, tight end, and set of receivers and do fine. If the difference between an A-level running back and a B-level running back is 400 yards and a couple of touchdowns, then having an A-level offensive line can make up that difference pretty quickly. An elite offensive line can turn a good QB into a great one, a decent running back into an All-Pro, and anyone who catches the ball into a pretty good crew. Does Justin Blackmon turn the offense into something great, or is he just another piece that represents something of an upgrade?

I wanted Ryan Clady in the worst way, Chris Samuels pretty badly, D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Bryant McKinnie...you name it. I loved Richie Incognito. Half of the players on the field for the offense at any given time are blockers, and an offense largely composed of great blockers is going to win a lot of games even with average personnel elsewhere.

Were I the GM, I'd either take Richardson or Claiborne, or else trade down.

Old
03-10-2012, 07:43 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:

This. Browns need to use that pick to draft a receiver. You'll never know HOW good McCoy or all the other guys before him really are without guys for him to throw to.

Old
03-12-2012, 06:46 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
set up the huge play (the Nebraska idea, which I believe in personally and which Earl Weaver used in Baltimore).
I thought Earl managed the Orioles. ???

Old
03-12-2012, 06:54 AM
EspenK

Does anyone here think Jared Sullinger is a lottery pick in the NBA? I think he really struggles against guys his size. And yesterday, once he made that 3 he thought he was Jon Diebler for about 5 minutes.

Once again, I wish Matta had developed his bench better. Either LaQuinton Ross was severely overhyped or is an extremely slow learner to have played about 10 minutes all season long. I can't imagine that Calipari or Boeheim or Izzo for that matter couldn't have found a way to utilize a guy who supposedly is a pretty good offensive threat. Get Matta a vest.

Old
03-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I thought Earl managed the Orioles. ???
Indeed he did. His managerial philosophy was "pitching, defense, and the three-run homer"; he's the biggest proponent of the big inning of anyone in my lifetime anyway. He goes into a lot more detail on the theory of the big inning in one of his books, which I happen to own and read frequently. I don't manage or coach baseball, but there's a lot of wisdom in there that can be applied to other sports or careers.

Old
03-12-2012, 11:05 AM
EspenK

Thanks for the explanation. Mixing of sports mixed me up. Which isn't hard to do.

Old
03-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. Mixing of sports mixed me up. Which isn't hard to do.
Nebraska did the same thing during the Osborne years. By that, I mean that they worked for the huge play, not that they confused you. (If you got confused with 11 straight option plays, I don't know what to say).

The idea was that they'd get 3-9 yards every single play just by running their basic double option a bunch of times in a row. What they were trying to do was make the defense start cheating outside a little bit and get the DL a bit undisciplined, then they'd spring a fullback trap for about 70 yards. There's something so disheartening about seeing someone like Cory Schlesinger having the longest run of the day on an offense that would put up 400 rushing yards in 30 plays.

Old
03-12-2012, 09:03 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

If you ever wanted to give Major League Soccer a try (or another try) you need to switch the television RIGHT NOW to ESPN2 for the Portand Timbers v. Philadelphia Union match!

Old
03-12-2012, 09:55 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
If you ever wanted to give Major League Soccer a try (or another try) you need to switch the television RIGHT NOW to ESPN2 for the Portand Timbers v. Philadelphia Union match!
Thank you for warning me not to turn to espn2.

Old
03-15-2012, 11:36 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

In case Robert and Kallio missed it - looks like Mario Williams to the Bills is gonna happen.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76...mario-williams

Old
03-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Thoroughly disappointed not to be able to stream NCAA games for free this year. I'm sure I could stream them if I wanted to pirate them, but still.

Old
03-15-2012, 12:57 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I found that it's great to have on in the background while I am reading a book. I can read 50 pages and not miss a thing.

Old
03-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
In case Robert and Kallio missed it - looks like Mario Williams to the Bills is gonna happen.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76...mario-williams
I did miss it, that's huge... Now if they can sign Peyton Manning they might have a chance to be competitive..

Old
03-15-2012, 03:02 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I found that it's great to have on in the background while I am reading a book. I can read 50 pages and not miss a thing.
slow reader or did you turn in with just 8 minutes to go?

Old
03-15-2012, 03:25 PM
blahblah

Quote:
slow reader or did you turn in with just 8 minutes to go?
lol, obviously I didn't mean 50 pages for the duration of the event. Just looking up from time to time to see what's happening.

Old
03-16-2012, 08:12 AM
BJFan1

I have 2 tickets to both NCAA Basketball sessions at Nationwide today. I couldn't get off of work, so I can't go... Face Value is $75.

I'm trying to get $50/each for session 1 (12:00), $100/pair

and $75/each for session 2 (6:00), $150/pair

Seats are in Section 213, Row E

Send me a message if interested... I can meet you somewhere or can pick up in Gahanna.

Old
03-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I will be at the tourny for the first session today, and then for the Sunday games. Already sold session two for today.

Hope for some good games.

Old
03-16-2012, 08:30 PM
EspenK

My brackets look like the Jackets Cup chances - but the Bobcats rule!

Old
03-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Halfboard
New Look

Wow................Stand Up And Cheer..............

Old
03-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Stand up and Cheer
Cheer loud and long for old Ohio
For today we raise The Green and White above the rest
Our boys are fighting
And they are bound to win the fray
We got the team
We got the steam
For this is old Ohio's day.

... except this is going to be Lehigh's day in the media.

Old
03-16-2012, 08:58 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

That was no upset. Bobcats were the better team for almost the entire game.

Closed Thread