HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
I'm tired of Ifs being the way they build a franchise. They made questionable picks on the hopes that "if it works out..." they'll be okay. The last team to draft a running back as high as the browns did, have seen no success [Raiders, McFadden]. Additionally, CJ Spiller in Buffalo hasn't brought any success to that team nor has Adrian Peterson done anything for the Vikings. Taking ANY running back in the top ten is not good value, especially considering the later round running backs finding great success. On top of that the Browns traded up 1 spot to get him. So instead of blowing a 4th overall pick on bad value they in fact blew a fourth overall plus three later round picks on bad value. Also, the only reason they desperately needed a RB was because they let Hillis walk away for NOTHING. Throwing assets down the tubes is not how you build a winning anything.
To be fair, taking anyone in the top-10 might not be good asset management. With the number of positions that there are in football, the very small gaps between the 6th-best and 30th-best player at any given position, and the near-total reliance upon a system for a player to have success, it makes more sense to stockpile picks and build a huge amount of depth than it does to actually exercise a top-10 pick.

Old
05-02-2012, 06:01 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
To be fair, taking anyone in the top-10 might not be good asset management. With the number of positions that there are in football, the very small gaps between the 6th-best and 30th-best player at any given position, and the near-total reliance upon a system for a player to have success, it makes more sense to stockpile picks and build a huge amount of depth than it does to actually exercise a top-10 pick.
And I would've been fine with them trading down and stockpiling picks too. But trading up to lose extra draft picks to make a bad pick that would've been there at 4 anyways? Yikes.

The entire Browns draft reeked of desperation to try and save jobs this year instead of laying out a multi-year plan. There's no way the Browns don't end up with a VERY good opportunity to grab a QB next year that is much better than Weeden. There are plenty of other running backs in later rounds that, while they may not be at Richardson's level, they are still great options freeing up the 4th overall for a true impact position.

The receiver crop this year was pretty unimpressive if you ask me. I don't think Blackmon was on the same level as Jones and Green last year. So if you really need help at receiver and you pass on the best one available this year, there's probably not much of a point in grabbing any of them. When's the next time you'll have the opportunity to grab a lineman like Kalil or a cornerback like Claiborne? If we're honest it will probably be next year BUT that pick will have to be spent on a franchise QB. Everyone and their mothers were convinced that the Browns absolutely had to upgrade the QB position so they did and the QB is marginally better so they'll get marginally closer to a playoff spot and win maybe 5 games instead of four. Whoopdee ****ing doo. They're still bottom of the barrel and no closer to climbing out. That's the frustrating thing. These people get paid a lot of money not to make gigantic mistakes, but they do it every time and still get paid.

Old
05-03-2012, 08:27 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
And I would've been fine with them trading down and stockpiling picks too. But trading up to lose extra draft picks to make a bad pick that would've been there at 4 anyways? Yikes.
It seems like you are truly one of the few Browns fans that feels this way. All the other fans that I've talked to were upset by the trading down in the first round the last couple of seasons. There's really no way the Browns were hitting on everyone of the those later round picks. What did they initially have? 13?

Old
05-03-2012, 08:51 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

I thought Pat McManamon had one of the more positive views of the Browns draft. This is from FoxOhio.com:

http://fanmonster.com/?p=1709

Not sure I agree with it all, but much of it makes sense to me.

Old
05-03-2012, 01:57 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
It seems like you are truly one of the few Browns fans that feels this way. All the other fans that I've talked to were upset by the trading down in the first round the last couple of seasons. There's really no way the Browns were hitting on everyone of the those later round picks. What did they initially have? 13?
They may not have hit on all of them, but if they hit on 1 of them they're instantly a better team than they can be now. It's all a big numbers game. They traded potential for nothing. It'd be like the CBJ trading their 2nd overall and 3 late round picks to the Oilers for the chance to draft Forsberg 1st overall.

Old
05-04-2012, 01:37 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Registered Sex Offender Creeping Buckeye Recruits

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/bucksh...ckeye-recruits

What the ****...

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
05-04-2012, 09:25 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post

What the ****...
It would not surprise if Brian Kelly is somehow behind this....

Old
05-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post

What the ****...
Obviously Urban Meyer's new recruit is just trying to get to know his future teammates.

Old
05-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

http://www.theonion.com/articles/moh...-second,28089/

Quote:
Mohamed Sanu Very Disappointed To Discover Second Call From Bengals Not A Prank
*snicker*

Old
05-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

I went to the Kentucky Derby this weekend. This morning in the hotel I was reading the local news websites and checking out a slideshow of all the celebrities who attended and walked the red carpet. Rick Nash and Aaron Johnson both attended and walked the red carpet.

Old
05-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

How big was Aaron's ring? I'm so glad that they've made is official and can let their love out in public

Old
05-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
How big was Aaron's ring? I'm so glad that they've made is official and can let their love out in public

What is it about two dudes being buddies that people find so amusing?

Old
05-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
They have their hands in their pockets so I guess we'll never know.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Forgive the basic photoshop skills but is was too easy to put them in the same photo with Rick one side and Aaron on the other.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rick and Aaron.jpg‎ (102.7 KB, 11 views)

Old
05-07-2012, 12:16 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
Forgive the basic photoshop skills but is was too easy to put them in the same photo with Rick one side and Aaron on the other.
They are like a way less talented Richards/Carter.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post

What is it about two dudes being buddies that people find so amusing?
Apparently, to the immature and desperate, any relationship is potentially sexual. And of course LOL TEH GAY and I LOL CUZ THATZ HOW U NO IM NOT GAY CUZ I WUDNT LOL AT ME or something.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
05-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

On a real note, I know how one of the most annoying questions a celebrity can be asked on the Red Carpet is "Who are you?" but I honestly think that in order to walk the red carpet, Aaron Johnson should have been asked to wear a name tag.

I don't think many people in the NHL would recognize him let alone the media who only recognize UK basketball players, stars of Project Runway, people who appear on those Real Housewives shows, and Guy Fieri.

Old
05-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
They are like a way less talented Richards/Carter.
well, to be honest, not many come close to them

Old
05-09-2012, 08:08 AM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Honestly, how can Homer Bailey still be in the Reds' rotation? He's thrown away game after game. Given, I dont watch the games, but I do look at the box scores and when I see the reds have given up 5 or more runs I say to myself 'i wonder who could have been pitching!' And sure enough, every time, its Bailey.

Hasnt had his best stuff this year.

Old
05-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Speedy Sanderson

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...-for-city.html

Not. Going. To. Happen. There's no way OSU wants competition for hoops in the winter, the Cavs certainly don't want another team 2 hours down the road and in their tv market, and the Jackets don't want the pro sports dollar in this city dilluted. We just got the Arena deal worked out so the Jackets would be on better financial footing - this seems like a bad idea. Not to mention the fact that I don't think Columbus is big enough to host both NHL and NBA teams. The other cities that do are quite a bit bigger in terms of their metro areas.

Old
05-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Sanderson View Post

Not. Going. To. Happen. There's no way OSU wants competition for hoops in the winter, the Cavs certainly don't want another team 2 hours down the road and in their tv market, and the Jackets don't want the pro sports dollar in this city dilluted. We just got the Arena deal worked out so the Jackets would be on better financial footing - this seems like a bad idea. Not to mention the fact that I don't think Columbus is big enough to host both NHL and NBA teams. The other cities that do are quite a bit bigger in terms of their metro areas.
Would you prefer Coleman go back to his dream of a pointless railcar paid for by taxing Jackets attendance?

I suspect that the folks who'd go to NBA basketball constitute a different segment of the population here.

Old
05-10-2012, 09:41 AM
Speedy Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Would you prefer Coleman go back to his dream of a pointless railcar paid for by taxing Jackets attendance?

I suspect that the folks who'd go to NBA basketball constitute a different segment of the population here.
To a certain extent I think you are correct in that there are different segments of the population that attend NHL and NBA games. However, there are only so many corporate dollars to go around, so will those big companies that buy club seats, advertising, etc. continue to invest with the Jackets, or will some of them turn away toward the NBA team.

Old
05-10-2012, 09:51 AM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 4560
This story is much ado about nothing, in my opinion. Until serious talks start with a NBA team, and until the Cavs sound off on this (because they may nix this due for their own concerns, ie, market), there isn't much to get excited about.

It does, though, give Mike Priest another excuse as to why this sorry state of a franchise continues to flounder

Old
05-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Sanderson View Post

Supposedly there was some unofficial interest a few years back when a couple of NBA teams were looking at basically running out of money. Depending on who you ask, there may be as many as 10 NBA teams that are in dire financial straits.

If I had my way (and far be it from me to be THAT guy), but I'd be looking at grabbing the Atlanta Hawks. My reason is simple: it would unite the entire city of Atlanta against ASG for shipping both the NHL and NBA out of town, and it would also stick ASG with operating rights to arena that has no primary tenant.

Frankly, OSU has no leg to stand on when it comes to "competition". They have an arena that was supposed to have been built with no luxury suites and host no non-college or high school events, and yet they've directly competed with a privately-built and privately-funded venture from the time that the shovel hit the ground. To be blunt, **** 'em.

Old
05-10-2012, 11:09 AM
blahblah

I wouldn't discount it so quickly. Frankly, I think it's a horrible idea. Then again Coleman should have been voted out like 368 years ago. Some prophet should have foreseen his rise to "power" and warned future generations. Never discount politicians with an agenda and an owner that wants to leave a city. A few tax breaks later and suddenly we have a NBA team, despite the Cavs objections.

Closed Thread