HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Very late to respond.. HF takes a back seat to my Lake House duties when the summer arrives.....

You are at minimum a thoroughbred enthusiast based on your knowledge in that post. I'm an old drama king at heart when it comes to horse racing history and I loved the movie Secretariat.. (some of which was filmed near my current residence). I also gamble on the ponies now and then too...

I'm excited for the Belmont regardless of Keith and Viqsi...
Triple Crown enthusiast, anyway. I'm with you on the drama.

The image of Secretariat coming down the stretch all by himself at the Belmont is one of the enduring images in sports, IMO.

Old
05-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I still think you should have challenged Lindsay Kramer to a rap battle.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
05-23-2012, 06:45 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
We will see if he can do the same at the 1.5 mile Belmont, folks said Secretariat couldn't do it and he won by 32 lengths in record time! A track record that still stands...
One that may never be broken. Until horse racing cleans up it's act, gets rid of the doping and starts breeding for soundness rather than simple speed it won't be. Even then it will be a long shot.

Every sport has it's "unbreakables", Secretariat's Belmont is one of them.

I post, therefore I am.
Old
05-23-2012, 08:56 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Triple Crown enthusiast, anyway. I'm with you on the drama.

The image of Secretariat coming down the stretch all by himself at the Belmont is one of the enduring images in sports, IMO.
Was never privy to that one in real time, but Smarty Jones getting edged out by Birdstone in the last seconds of the Belmont has stuck with me.

The poor announcer, you could hear it in his voice that he thought he was going to be making a historical call that would live forever ... "It's been 26 years .... ..... ... and Birdstone wins."

Old
05-23-2012, 09:34 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Was never privy to that one in real time, but Smarty Jones getting edged out by Birdstone in the last seconds of the Belmont has stuck with me.

The poor announcer, you could hear it in his voice that he thought he was going to be making a historical call that would live forever ... "It's been 26 years .... ..... ... and Birdstone wins."
Indeed. I thought the guy was going to start cursing Birdstone.

Again, I'm hardly an expert or even an avid fan, I just watch the TC races. But I never felt, despite the hype, that Smarty Jones was a great a horse as some of the other close calls. That said, I was yelling for him to go that day.

Sunday Silence is the one I recall thinking had the look of a great horse. Like many others denied the TC, he had a great foil in Easy Goer.

Old
05-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Roadman
Moving On

The year that I find intriguing is 1978, the battle between Affirmed and Alydar. Always wondered, would Alydar have won the triple crown if he hadn't been born the same year as Affirmed? If I recall correctly Alydar had the better breeding history. Truly one of the great rivalries in all of sports.

Old
05-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
The year that I find intriguing is 1978, the battle between Affirmed and Alydar. Always wondered, would Alydar have won the triple crown if he hadn't been born the same year as Affirmed? If I recall correctly Alydar had the better breeding history. Truly one of the great rivalries in all of sports.
Yep. Suppose it's like this in other sports, too, but notable in TC because of the age restrictions. Sunday Silence and Easy Goer much the same inasmuch as both are Hall of Fame horses. You wonder if either could have won in another year.

Old
05-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post

I remember watching that with my wife (girlfriend at the time)...she was excited down the backstretch going, "He's going to do it!", and I see this horse barreling down the outside and just said, "No he's not."

Quote:
By the same token, Sham would have won the Triple Crown and been regarded as one of the all-time greats if not for being born the same year as Secretariat. Consider that he also ran a sub-2:00 Derby after hitting his face on the starting gate (and losing teeth in the process), and the gap between Secretariat and Sham (2 lengths) was nothing compared to the gap between Sham and Our Native (15 lengths). At the Preakness, the same story repeated itself.

And then at the Belmont, Sham suffered a hairline fracture while running nose-to-nose with Secretariat. There was about a 15-length gap between them and the rest of the pack before Sham fell back, finishing 5th.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I'm encouraged with the TC talk here, as DSL I'm mostly a TC fan but with my relocation to Louisville several years ago and traveling the beautiful local horse country; huge horse farms filled with acres of gentle rolling bluegrass hills, thoroughbreds grazing, black fence and mansions everywhere around Lexington my interest is growing beyond just the Triple Crown. rant

That said, the Belmont is dead even with the SC cup series for me right now...

Old
05-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Tribe fever, get it.

Old
05-24-2012, 03:05 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Tribe fever, get it.
Actually,

"Indians Fever, it starts in the very first inning..."

One must be of a certain age to sing along with that tune. My daughter and I used to sing the drum part!

Old
05-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
How cool, how you got into the Derby is my question as I have some local connections and can't get in. Oh, for 2.5 grand a ticket I could have but that kind of cash is out of my league...

As for "I'll Have Another" closing from the outside in the last quarter to win twice is very rare... that horse wanted to win the Derby and Preakness as if he knew the stakes...

We will see if he can do the same at the 1.5 mile Belmont, folks said Secretariat couldn't do it and he won by 32 lengths in record time! A track record that still stands...
I simply signed up on their mailing list for tickets. They don't have much a of a lottery system and its all kind of first come first served. I got an email in November with an opportunity to pay a $100 deposit, which I did within 45 minutes of receiving the email, and to select my seating preference. ($50 bucks of the deposit was non refundable if you did not get tickets from the lottery)

I also checked a box asking if I was willing to pay an additional 20% per ticket "priority" upcharge to get my request ahead of anyone else who did not take that option. I then got an email in January telling me I had been awarded the opportunity to buy tickets and had 7 days to pay the remaining balance I owed.

I know it is a bit of a racket they've got going on but paying that 20% upcharge still makes them cheaper than going through a scalper. I got 2 tickets each for the Oaks and the Derby for $600 bucks total. Derby tickets alone in the same section I sat in were being listed for over $500 each on Stubhub. Granted these were grandstand tickets not near the finish line but the horses did run past my location twice and I got a good look at I'll Have Another's final charge after coming out of the last turn.

Overall, I had a great time and can cross something of my bucket list. Hopefully I can go back next year.

Old
05-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
The same could be said about Bodemeister this season with I'll Have Another. It could easily be Bodemeister in the position they way he has ran in the Arkansas Derby, Kentucky Derby, and Preakness.

Sadly we won't be seeing a repeat of the battle these 2 horses have staged so far since Bodemeister is sitting out the Belmont.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Shawnee Hills should be abolished.

06-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Kinda starting to lean in that direction myself. Generally putting a spotlight in someone's eyes makes you difficult to identify...

Old
06-03-2012, 04:02 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Kinda starting to lean in that direction myself. Generally putting a spotlight in someone's eyes makes you difficult to identify...
Maybe I don't understand. Are you saying that, as a result of having a light shined in their eyes, two football players should crouch down and hide in the parking lot?

Old
06-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Maybe I don't understand. Are you saying that, as a result of having a light shined in their eyes, two football players should crouch down and hide in the parking lot?
That could be damn near anybody out there with their high beams on you, y'know. Creepy stuff sometimes.

Old
06-03-2012, 05:11 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Don't care for them at all.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
06-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Quote:
As somebody who lives very close to Shawnee Hills, I'd take my chances and hide instead of deal with somebody from that New Rome-esque police force. I think most people from my area feel the same way.

Old
06-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

And congrats to Tiger for making me managed to pay attention to golf for a minute.

Old
06-03-2012, 07:00 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
As somebody who lives very close to Shawnee Hills, I'd take my chances and hide instead of deal with somebody from that New Rome-esque police force. I think most people from my area feel the same way.
Oh my god the Shawnee Hills police... can't stand them.

Old
06-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

to be fair, not the week to upset them more than they are already...

Old
06-03-2012, 07:19 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
The same could be said about Bodemeister this season with I'll Have Another. It could easily be Bodemeister in the position they way he has ran in the Arkansas Derby, Kentucky Derby, and Preakness.

Sadly we won't be seeing a repeat of the battle these 2 horses have staged so far since Bodemeister is sitting out the Belmont.
True but I don't think Bodemeister can go 1 1/2 (and apparently Bob Baffert agrees). Unless some other horse we don't know about comes into the picture I'll Have Another looks good to me to win the TC.

Old
06-04-2012, 08:00 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Public urination!!! The Outrage!!!

This will blow over soon, even in this town, even though its Buckeye Football players, but I don't think the humiliation will ever go away.

Old
06-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 272
Doesn't a public urination charge get you branded as a sexual predator? I thought I heard that somewhere, which seems a bit harsh.

Closed Thread