HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
09-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Michigan is getting blasted and its not even the 2nd quarter. Dernard hurt himself with a stupid shoulder tackle after an INT.

Good game so far I must say.

Old
09-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Meanwhile, in the OTHER game of football...

Fredrico. Higuain. DAYUM.

Two stoppage time GWGs in a row now. I wonder if we should start looking for Argentinian hockey players for the Jackets or something...

Oh, and congrats to OU.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
09-01-2012, 11:07 PM
SavesEmNot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

Two stoppage time GWGs in a row now. I wonder if we should start looking for Argentinian hockey players for the Jackets or something...

Oh, and congrats to OU.
Unbelievable. In recent games, it's as if you just know that the team is going to pull off something exciting.

It's funny, when they signed Higuain, I thought to myself "hmmm, I wonder if he can do set pieces." I guess he has answered in the affirmative.

Old
09-02-2012, 09:12 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Stand up and cheer for Ohio beating Penn State!
Good times.

Golden days of Bobcats athletics.

Old
09-02-2012, 09:18 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavesEmNot View Post
Unbelievable. In recent games, it's as if you just know that the team is going to pull off something exciting.

It's funny, when they signed Higuain, I thought to myself "hmmm, I wonder if he can do set pieces." I guess he has answered in the affirmative.
i saw the low goal total and said to my buddy "this is a waste of a DP designation" boy was I wrong!!!!

Old
09-02-2012, 09:44 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I thought Pete would miss the day of Orange and Black
Sorry, Matthew, that one goes clear over my head.

Old
09-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Matt C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

The smoke machines in the Nordecke went so crazy last night after the second goal I couldn't see my hand in front of my face for like 20 seconds. Freakin awesome. It was a stunning goal, completely generated by Higauin.

The scary thing was they were about to take him out at the 75th minute. If Montreal had scored one minute earlier he would have come out.

This is one HECK of run. We have beaten the teams should have so far. After NER on Wednesday the competition improves significantly.

But its nothing the Crew can't handle. We are awesome.

Old
09-02-2012, 10:09 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Good times.

At least in the modern era.

In my day they were ranked 5th in the country in basketball (albeit for a short time) and went undefeated in football (albeit losing a shootout to Richmond in the Tangerine Bowl)

Also, I first heard of OU when I was a sophomore in HS and they knocked off Kentucky in the NCAA.

...And I hope when I get old I don't sit around thinking about it
but I probably will
Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture
a little of the glory of, well time slips away
and leaves you with nothing mister but
boring stories of glory days

Old
09-02-2012, 03:45 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Dat stutter step

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
09-02-2012, 05:40 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Sorry, Matthew, that one goes clear over my head.
Here you go Pete.

Quote:
The Ohio State school colors of scarlet and gray were chosen by a committee of three students (Curtis C. Howard, Harwood R. Pool, and Alice Townshend) prior to the school's first graduation ceremony in 1878. The committee's original recommendation was to be orange and black. The committee soon discovered that Princeton already used the colors, however, and changed their recommendation. For this reason some references claim that Ohio State's original school colors were orange and black. This claim is not quite accurate, in that the committee never filed the original report with that recommendation.

09-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
They told me on my first OSU tour the colors were orange and black originally. Filthy liars.

Old
09-03-2012, 04:04 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Good times.

Some call it THE signature win in OU history. I won't go that far, but I will ride this for what it brings in momentum and confidence as OU enters this season with high aspirations.

Still, I kinda wish it wasn't Penn State. Their fans and remaining players have had to deal with a lot of turmoil, and getting a win would have helped them all feel better, yet I couldn't root for them when going against my Bobcats.

Old
09-03-2012, 08:24 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Here you go Pete.
Thanks, How!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
They told me on my first OSU tour the colors were orange and black originally. Filthy liars.
Certainly not the last time you were misled at The Big Farm!

Old
09-04-2012, 08:51 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
At least in the modern era.

In my day they were ranked 5th in the country in basketball (albeit for a short time) and went undefeated in football (albeit losing a shootout to Richmond in the Tangerine Bowl)

Also, I first heard of OU when I was a sophomore in HS and they knocked off Kentucky in the NCAA.

...And I hope when I get old I don't sit around thinking about it
but I probably will
Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture
a little of the glory of, well time slips away
and leaves you with nothing mister but
boring stories of glory days
The leather helmet and peach basket days don't count!

Sports didn't begin until ESPN.

Old
09-05-2012, 08:55 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

It would appear that Jerry Jones has an aide whose duties include cleaning his bosses glasses. I wonder what's on his resume?

Edit: it appears that his resume includes (and may have as his sole attribute) marrying Jones' daughter.

Last edited by pete goegan: 09-06-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old
09-06-2012, 01:23 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

According to WKYC in Cleveland, Art Modell may not be long for this world.

http://www.wkyc.com/news/article/259...l-hospitalized

Old
09-06-2012, 08:31 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:

Dead.

I'm not a Browns or CLV sports fan, but when you constantly read that everyone, even independent parties, place the start of the "Move if no new Stadium" with Modell, its easy to see why this guy is hated.

Now I'm just waiting for ESPN to go to a random CLV sportsbar and do a "slice" piece on what the reactions are from the city.

Old
09-06-2012, 08:31 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:

WKYC in Cleveland was right.

NBC4 headline is kinda funny.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/sep/...87-ar-1162321/

Old
09-06-2012, 02:10 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

From Terry Pluto at the PD:

I interviewed Modell in 1996, his first season with the Browns . . . now the Ravens . . . in Baltimore. I asked him about why he didn't sell the team to a local investor.

At first, he said there really wasn't anyone who could buy it . . . or at least, not anyone who he thought would be "the right owner."

Then Modell said, "I wanted to keep the team for my family, and this was the only way to do it."

He talked about going broke running the Browns and being the landlord of the old Cleveland Stadium, and Baltimore basically gave him a new stadium and lots of ways to clean up his financial mess.

In 1999, I asked Lerner why he didn't just buy majority interest of the Browns from Modell. Then Modell could have been sort of an owner emeritus, making speeches and continuing to contribute to many of the terrific charities that he supported in Cleveland...He didn't disagree with much, but simply said, "Art didn't want to sell. He wanted to keep the team for his family."

For Modell, the money issues continued to haunt him in Baltimore. Not long after playing his first season there in 1996, he sold a minority interest in the franchise to Steve Bisciotti, a Baltimore businessman.

Over the years, Modell continued to sell more and more of the team to Bisciotti. By 2004, Bisciotti was the main owner and Modell had only a token piece of the franchise.

So he didn't keep it for his family.

The bolder portion is, for me, the primary reason I can never forgive Modell. The man wanted to keep the team for his family, but he was such an incredibly bad businessman that he lost money in Cleveland while selling out every game for decades! Then, in order to get a huge influx of cash, he moved to Baltimore for a new stadium and an enormous "moving fee" from the city (which, by the way, he could not have gotten in Cleveland even had they built him a new stadium). Being just as incompetent at business, he still ended up losing money and having to sell the team! From what I've read, much of this was because he couldn't structure his estate in a way to protect his sons from having to sell the team, eventually, anyway.

Perhaps it was worth it to him, in the end, to remain among the elite who owned NHL teams.

Old
09-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
The bolder portion is, for me, the primary reason I can never forgive Modell. The man wanted to keep the team for his family, but he was such an incredibly bad businessman that he lost money in Cleveland while selling out every game for decades! Then, in order to get a huge influx of cash, he moved to Baltimore for a new stadium and an enormous "moving fee" from the city (which, by the way, he could not have gotten in Cleveland even had they built him a new stadium). Being just as incompetent at business, he still ended up losing money and having to sell the team! From what I've read, much of this was because he couldn't structure his estate in a way to protect his sons from having to sell the team, eventually, anyway.

Perhaps it was worth it to him, in the end, to remain among the elite who owned NHL teams.
Well stated. Also add in that he was willing to derail any attempts to improve the city of Cleveland or Cuyahoga County because it meant that he wouldn't be able to continue bending the Indians over a table. With the lease and financial arrangements that he had in place all during the 1970s and 1980s, it absolutely defies logic to consider that he could have lost any money.

Old
09-07-2012, 07:52 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Well stated. Also add in that he was willing to derail any attempts to improve the city of Cleveland or Cuyahoga County because it meant that he wouldn't be able to continue bending the Indians over a table. With the lease and financial arrangements that he had in place all during the 1970s and 1980s, it absolutely defies logic to consider that he could have lost any money.
Further Modell shenanigans:

http://deadspin.com/5941120/art-mode...odel-nfl-owner

Quote:
... And then Art Modell called Tisch up and talked him out of it, steering his friend into buying a share of the Giants instead. When it came time to vote on expansion, Modell cast his vote for Jacksonville—against Baltimore, and against his own best friend, Alfred Lerner, who was trying to get a team there.

So Baltimore remained without an NFL franchise—and its stadium offer stayed on the table, for Modell himself to scoop up when he needed it. Because he had no choice.

Old
09-07-2012, 10:01 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for the link, Kallio, that was quite satisfying!

Old
09-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

I don't gamble nor do I actively follow college FB, but what about this?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...tate-seminoles

Old
09-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
I don't gamble nor do I actively follow college FB, but what about this?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...tate-seminoles
The sad thing is FSU will likely cover.

09-07-2012, 02:29 PM
FANonymous

"The Cleveland Browns plan to have an 'appropriate recognition' for the late Modell at the season opener against the Philadelphia Eagles."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/83...-modell-opener

"...the league has requested that all its teams observe a moment of silence or other appropriate gesture in memory of Modell this week."

Something tells me this isn't going to go over well in Cleveland. At best there will be a ton of booing, worst I have no clue. It will be interesting to see how the media portrays the event in Cleveland.

Closed Thread