HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2012, 04:35 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Just make it simple. Hate. The OT system alone deserves a great deal of hate. Watching them attempt to kick field goals makes me very angry for some reason.
I find it infinitely preferable to that of the NFL.

And hating is hard, seeing as though the Buckeyes are a family institution. Literally - my parents met and were married there, my grandfather taught there for decades, every member of the family above the age of 10 has gone to school there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
so basically Tennessee was dropped for TCU...yeup...
Speaking as an occasional part-time Vols fan... they've been bad for some time now. Firing Fulmer just accelerated the decay process.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
10-02-2012, 05:33 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
so basically Tennessee was dropped for TCU...yeup...
Yup..still need to add another OOC team that's good.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
10-03-2012, 12:35 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I find it infinitely preferable to that of the NFL.
Most do. Why? No idea. 90% of the games are blowouts with very noticeably sub-par individual performances. Sometime someone will give me an answer that makes sense. Half the time they try and explain it via the "I hate those pro athletes angle". They can't really explain why they feel the game quality is lower in pro sports. Probably because by definition is professional and not amateur.

I shout it loud and proud. The OT system is college football is moronic. I'd rather watch OT and the SO in hockey and lord knows how much I dislike the SO (from the perspective of deciding a game, not the entertainment factor.).

Quote:
And hating is hard, seeing as though the Buckeyes are a family institution. Literally - my parents met and were married there, my grandfather taught there for decades, every member of the family above the age of 10 has gone to school there.
Well someone has to be the rebel... Why not you? :p

To be fair, I was talking about hating college football. Not Ohio State. I don't hate Ohio State.

Old
10-03-2012, 01:53 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

I prefer college football because I enjoy the variety in the games and styles of play. I enjoy the pro game for the skill and ferocity of the players and the intensity of the competition, but almost all teams are wedded to the same style and look, the game has little variety. The college game has more styles of play and more approaches to the game. Kieth Piper was still running the single wing successfully at Dennison in the '80s! The pro game is great and there's no question that it's the highest level of the sport, I just think its become too predictable. The college game still turns up an occasional "Appalachian State moment" that makes for a special event. Plus, there's all that color and pageantry stuff, too!

Old
10-03-2012, 02:38 PM
blahblah

Thanks Pete. Better explanation than I normally get. Still doesn't detract from the perpetual blowouts however. I don't get a game in which there are so many missed blocks, tackles, dropped balls, fumbles and poor interceptions. A 40 yard field ago attempt from the far hash mark is just too painful to watch.

It's all cool, I'm not trying to run everyone off. I just don't get it. It's just a comedy of errors with one team usually far superior to the other. You do get the upset or two a weekend I guess to keep it interesting.

Part of the turn off might be the constant talk about the BCS that went on for hours a day when you tried to listen to sports talk as well.

What I am surprised about is the vast number of women on Match that claim they love college football. I'm wondering if that is just a smoke screen to attract guys or if they really do like it. I might date one of these women just to find out... I could probably get a governmental grant for a research study. :p

Old
10-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Most do. Why? No idea. 90% of the games are blowouts with very noticeably sub-par individual performances. Sometime someone will give me an answer that makes sense. Half the time they try and explain it via the "I hate those pro athletes angle". They can't really explain why they feel the game quality is lower in pro sports. Probably because by definition is professional and not amateur.
I was referring to the OT system, primarily.

I'm not big on pro football largely because each time I watch the hits are much harder and come more frequently, which makes it more trying for me. I prefer the easily followed and disassembled strategy to the gladiatorial violence.

Also, pete's comments about variety and pageantry also apply.

Quote:
I shout it loud and proud. The OT system is college football is moronic. I'd rather watch OT and the SO in hockey and lord knows how much I dislike the SO (from the perspective of deciding a game, not the entertainment factor.).
It's not great, but it's loads better than the "the coin flip wins it" system the NFL has. Guh.

Quote:
Well someone has to be the rebel... Why not you? :p

To be fair, I was talking about hating college football. Not Ohio State. I don't hate Ohio State.
Because I'm already too much of a rebel in everything else. My father got started on VAX/VMS systems but now uses MacOSX and prefers to write Perl using Emacs. I was all about the *nixen and nowadays stick to writing Python using vi on Windows XP. I'm such a disappointment.

Also, we use it as yet another excuse for family gatherings (particularly involving my mother; we do very little social together otherwise), which I enjoy. It's when I'm outside of those circumstances and discussing with other folks that love turns to hate and I start fantasizing about finding SEC fans (not fans of SEC teams, SEC fans - I'm sure you know the type) and setting them on fire.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
What I am surprised about is the vast number of women on Match that claim they love college football. I'm wondering if that is just a smoke screen to attract guys or if they really do like it. I might date one of these women just to find out... I could probably get a governmental grant for a research study. :p
We'll frequently get phone calls from my sister (who's lived in North Carolina, Texas, and now northern Virginia) every time OSU scores a touchdown. By contrast, my brother doesn't really follow it at all (he's part of fantasy pro football leagues but that's about it), and Dad will watch games but he still gets all grumpy and bitter at times thanks to the John Cooper years. And Grandpa is more of a basketball fan. It's certainly real in our family.

Old
10-03-2012, 02:57 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Because I'm already too much of a rebel in everything else. My father got started on VAX/VMS systems but now uses MacOSX and prefers to write Perl using Emacs. I was all about the *nixen and nowadays stick to writing Python using vi on Windows XP. I'm such a disappointment.
Oh wow, my Uncle worked for DEC. He now works for the State. How in the world did he jump from VMS to MacOS? The last DEC I worked on was the Alpha over at, what it is, TRS? That track that car companies use over in Marysville (yay for consulting days). I purchased an Alpha as my Windows NT 3.5 box. When I left the company it had been up for 3 years without an outage (yeah, screw you and the blue screen grown. Just because you can't build a server doesn't mean it can't be done... :p)

I like IPhone and IPad. Probably going to get a MacBook Air now and use VM Fusion on it. But Windows will probably still be my main OS for the next decade at least.

Oh and I used vi in DOS of all thing back starting in '89. Thankfully I quit most of my programming in 1997. Sadly, I will take it up again this year. These kids complain about Windows these days, my first exposure to Windows was Windows for Workgroups. Let's see if these kids could make heads or tails out of it. Yes, DOS 3.0 on an 8088 XT clone was my first machine. Turbo buttons and RAMDrives FTW. I still can't believe that 286's had been out for like 7 years and still didn't have more of a market share and I was still able to sell XT's in 1990. Yes folks, the 40MB hard drive was the king of sales back then. What the ST-251?

Last edited by blahblah: 10-03-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old
10-03-2012, 04:54 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Oh wow, my Uncle worked for DEC. He now works for the State. How in the world did he jump from VMS to MacOS? The last DEC I worked on was the Alpha over at, what it is, TRS? That track that car companies use over in Marysville (yay for consulting days). I purchased an Alpha as my Windows NT 3.5 box. When I left the company it had been up for 3 years without an outage (yeah, screw you and the blue screen grown. Just because you can't build a server doesn't mean it can't be done... :p)

I like IPhone and IPad. Probably going to get a MacBook Air now and use VM Fusion on it. But Windows will probably still be my main OS for the next decade at least.

Oh and I used vi in DOS of all thing back starting in '89. Thankfully I quit most of my programming in 1997. Sadly, I will take it up again this year. These kids complain about Windows these days, my first exposure to Windows was Windows for Workgroups. Let's see if these kids could make heads or tails out of it. Yes, DOS 3.0 on an 8088 XT clone was my first machine. Turbo buttons and RAMDrives FTW. I still can't believe that 286's had been out for like 7 years and still didn't have more of a market share and I was still able to sell XT's in 1990. Yes folks, the 40MB hard drive was the king of sales back then. What the ST-251?
This is blahsphemy - what other sport are we talking about?
Of course I should be committed-I read it.

Old
10-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Speaking as an occasional part-time Vols fan... they've been bad for some time now. Firing Fulmer just accelerated the decay process.
Quote:
Fulmer was a massive part of the problem. He had 15 years at one of the premier universities for football, and continuously cycled through a succession of absolutely brutal assistant coaches whose ability to develop talent got worse. He is exactly to UT football what John Cooper was for Ohio State: a surprisingly cunning rube who built a program to dizzying heights on the backs of excellent recruiting, then watched it all come crashing down at once.

In Cooper's case, his poor in-state relationships with high school coaches led to a lot of players leaving the area to go elsewhere (and perform well against Ohio State). This is also what undid Charlie Weis at Notre Dame. He had the ability to walk up to any kid at any Catholic school in the state of Ohio and say, "I coach at Notre Dame. Would you like to join the Fighting Irish?" and dominate. His own arrogance led to severely strained relationships very quickly.

In Fulmer's case, he simply hired an array of poor assistants left and right. 15 years at a top program, and he had 3 of his hired assistants become head coaches elsewhere (combined service at UT: 4 years). UT always had an excellent offensive line, with even average players being NFL prospects. Fulmer's last six years saw the hideously inept Jimmy Ray Stephens and then Greg Adkins completely destroy that reputation in short order. This undid the offense, and undid the team as a whole. At least with Paterno having a lot of assistants who never moved on, they were at least still producing.

Old
10-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

In the interest of avoiding the risk of further hijacking the thread with my other form of geekery, I'ma limit my reply here...

Quote:
Oh wow, my Uncle worked for DEC. He now works for the State. How in the world did he jump from VMS to MacOS?
It's been a gradual transition. He spent a lot of time with NT and its descendants, for example. He didn't really get into MacOSX until a more recent job where they provide lots of Apple equipment (at Nationwide Children's Hospital, incidentally).

Really, the real disagreement is Python versus Perl.

Special Bonus Editor Irony: As previously stated, I use vi and Papa uses emacs. That is to say, I use vim and he uses MicroEMACS.

Old
10-04-2012, 11:33 AM
blahblah

haha, this forum is so dead... Sorry I derailed one of the only working threads, mainly because all that is going on is other sports...

I'll watch the Reds until they get beat in the first round. I was kind of surprised to see the Reds on the road games 1 and 2. The baseball playoff system is weird. Your could be down 2-0 heading home. I guess it's too much travel for those wimpy baseball players. Lord forbid you travel home for game 5, if necessary.

Old
10-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Byrral

Quote:
haha, this forum is so dead... Sorry I derailed one of the only working threads, mainly because all that is going on is other sports...

I'll watch the Reds until they get beat in the first round. I was kind of surprised to see the Reds on the road games 1 and 2. The baseball playoff system is weird. Your could be down 2-0 heading home. I guess it's too much travel for those wimpy baseball players. Lord forbid you travel home for game 5, if necessary.
This is only for 2012. Starting next year they will go to a 2-2-1 playoff format.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...es-more/page/5

Quote:
Instead of the top seed playing two games at home, then traveling, then playing two more games before traveling back home, the travel day between Games 4 and 5 will be eliminated.

This was put in place just for this year because the 2012 schedule was announced before the new postseason was agreed upon, thus allowing for little wiggle room.

Old
10-05-2012, 08:09 AM
EspenK

and speaking of baseball, this one game wild card playoff is nuts. Were the owners that hard up for a sellout crowd? 2 out of 3 works better but then you have the potential for travel and one team only getting one game. Should have left it at 4 teams imo

Old
10-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Rookie User

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
and speaking of baseball, this one game wild card playoff is nuts. Were the owners that hard up for a sellout crowd? 2 out of 3 works better but then you have the potential for travel and one team only getting one game. Should have left it at 4 teams imo
My feelings exactly. Seems incredibly forced.

10-07-2012, 07:25 AM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Congrats to the Redlegs for winning their first postseason game since I was in Kindergarten (quick, do the math)

Old
10-07-2012, 08:18 AM
EspenK

Break up the Bobcats! 6-0!

Old
10-07-2012, 09:33 AM
GoJackets1
Someday.

This is incredibly sad, but that was the first time one of my favorite teams has won a playoff game since I've followed them. Jackets, Reds, Bengals. It felt great haha

Old
10-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Break up the Bobcats! 6-0!
Latest AP Top 25 poll: Michigan is 25th with 82 points. OU is the first team out with 79. That close to making it, folks!

Old
10-07-2012, 02:29 PM
FANonymous

Why do I bother watching Browns games?

Old
10-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Probably for the same reason I sometimes try to go to espn.com and see if they ever mention anything positive at all about tOSU in their "gameday final" sumups after a game goes well. It's a sort of hopeless sense of optimism.

Old
10-07-2012, 11:03 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Reds playing the best of teams in the postseason so far. However I'm more worried about the Nationals than any AL team. Feels good to cheer for a good team for once.

Old
10-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
If I were given 24 hours to live, I'd insist on watching Browns games from 1999-present. It'd make that 24 hours seem like an eternity.

Actually, I'd be more likely to simply dispose of myself before the 24 hours was up.

I see the Browns as the opposite of the CBJ. Randy Lerner has been hands-on from the beginning...hire a group of guys to build, then fire them all two years later. Hire someone new, fire him three years later. Hire someone new, fire him three years later. And on, and on, and on.

At no point has there ever been a coherent plan implemented that could ever be seen to anything resembling a conclusion, or even halfway there. It's always been one slapdash adventure after another. Hire Savage and Crennel, see a 10-6 season, then fire both after injuries decimate the entire roster the next season. Hire George Kokinis as GM, give him no real power because Eric Mangini was brought in first, then fire him after 8 games. Fire Chris Palmer after two seasons because an expansion team didn't do well.

I always swore that if I were the owner of the Browns, I'd simply gut the entire organization, install myself as GM, bring in Nick Saban as coach, and give a minimum of five years to produce results. Even if the wins didn't immediately come, it would be a tough team to play against.

Old
10-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post

I see the Browns as the opposite of the CBJ.

Quote:
At no point has there ever been a coherent plan implemented that could ever be seen to anything resembling a conclusion, or even halfway there.

Sounds pretty familiar to me.

Old
10-09-2012, 01:52 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
If I were given 24 hours to live, I'd insist on watching Browns games from 1999-present. It'd make that 24 hours seem like an eternity.

Actually, I'd be more likely to simply dispose of myself before the 24 hours was up.

I see the Browns as the opposite of the CBJ. Randy Lerner has been hands-on from the beginning...hire a group of guys to build, then fire them all two years later. Hire someone new, fire him three years later. Hire someone new, fire him three years later. And on, and on, and on.

At no point has there ever been a coherent plan implemented that could ever be seen to anything resembling a conclusion, or even halfway there. It's always been one slapdash adventure after another. Hire Savage and Crennel, see a 10-6 season, then fire both after injuries decimate the entire roster the next season. Hire George Kokinis as GM, give him no real power because Eric Mangini was brought in first, then fire him after 8 games. Fire Chris Palmer after two seasons because an expansion team didn't do well.

I always swore that if I were the owner of the Browns, I'd simply gut the entire organization, install myself as GM, bring in Nick Saban as coach, and give a minimum of five years to produce results. Even if the wins didn't immediately come, it would be a tough team to play against.
Saban would just bail on you and go to another SEC team.

Closed Thread