HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

vCash: 500

Old
01-26-2012, 01:34 AM
CaptainCBus
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
...Could the whole town be infected with some sort of hideous virus that abhors success of any kind? Has OSU caught it from the Jackets?
So, you've never heard of the Crew, Clippers, or tOSU men's or women's basketball? Because it seems to me that only two teams in Columbus sucked this year, they just happened to be the highest profile teams (sadly).

Old
02-02-2012, 01:41 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Urban and co. has brought in one hell of a recruiting class.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
02-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
One of the best Super Bowls of the 46 I've seen.... Eli Manning has more SB rings than Payton Manning... unreal football family led by Archie Manning..

Old
02-05-2012, 10:36 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Boring super bowl with an interesting last 2 minutes.

Glad the Pats lost.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
staaaaaahppp!

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post

Glad the Pats lost.
Glad I'm not the only one who thought this.

02-05-2012, 10:43 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:

Glad the Pats lost.
Better than 50-16 (or something like that) that I have cried over.... ugh...

Old
02-05-2012, 11:06 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Better than 50-16 (or something like that) that I have cried over.... ugh...
Depends on who would be doing the blowing out and who would be getting blown out.

Old
02-05-2012, 11:55 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Peyton only has one more Super Bowl ring than Cooper.

Old
02-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan MD View Post
Urban and co. has brought in one hell of a recruiting class.
But Bret Bielma says its illegal tactics from Meyer. Death Penalty here we come.

Old
02-06-2012, 06:42 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:

Glad the Pats lost.
Had to check the date on this post. Could've been made four years ago.

Old
02-06-2012, 06:55 AM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
But Bret Bielma says its illegal tactics from Meyer. Death Penalty here we come.
First I have heard of this, what exactly are his accusations?

For a split second last night I thought Gronkowski caught that last pass. That was an intense second lol.

Old
02-06-2012, 09:09 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
First I have heard of this, what exactly are his accusations?

For a split second last night I thought Gronkowski caught that last pass. That was an intense second lol.
I don't think he's made any specific claims in public.

Quote:
During his National Signing Day press conference, Bielema hinted that Meyer was using “illegal” recruiting practices. He said as much again Thursday when contacted by Sporting News, and without getting into specifics offered this:

“I called Urban and we spoke about it,” Bielema said. “We talked about it, and he said it would stop and it did. I’ll let our commissioner deal with anything else. That’s not who we are (in the Big Ten). We settle things among ourselves as coaches.”

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...#ixzz1lbvWjcYA
But for him to be tossing such stuff out there in the public, he should be fined heavily if nothing is actually going on with Meyer.

Old
02-06-2012, 09:22 AM
FANonymous

Unless there have been new developments that I'm unaware of, Bielema was pissed off that Meyer contacted some recruits that had verbally committed to Wisconsin. I believe all these recruits were Ohio natives and Meyer was following up to see if they were 100% on their decision to go elsewhere. He stated that if they said "stop calling me" he would, but if they were wavering or interested in OSU he would pursue them. Bielema was pissed off because of some alleged "gentleman's agreement" in the Big Ten among coaches that you leave athletes committed to other schools alone. Meyer saw it as taking care of his home state, and following up with high-potential athletes who may have always wanted to play for OSU [since they were from Ohio].

Personally, I think a verbal commitment means jack squat and if you have someone verbally committed to your school, but you can't get them to sign for you, it's your own fault.

Old
02-06-2012, 09:31 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

But of course that's not actually illegal. And Bielema knows that. He's either got a legit complaint, or he's trying to sling mud at an Ohio State program that's already in NCAA hot water.

Old
02-06-2012, 11:41 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
But of course that's not actually illegal. And Bielema knows that. He's either got a legit complaint, or he's trying to sling mud at an Ohio State program that's already in NCAA hot water.
Can't be too serious, Bielema's own AD sides with OSU.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...181630929.html

Old
02-06-2012, 12:22 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Bielema and Dantonio have both started to back track on what they said. Bielema's main problem is that his class sucked and he is trying to take some of the blame off of himself.

Old
02-06-2012, 12:49 PM
Kev22

I would like to thank Bret Bielema for poking the sleeping giant with a stick. I hope Meyer goes up to Madison this year and lays an epic whoopin' on the Badgers. I hope it's one of those 80 point, continue passing in the fourth quarter up by 40, jobs that Bielema has become fond of. If Bielema is searching for something classless, he should look at the reflection of his bloated face in the mirror.

Damn I hate cry babies. Be a man, take some Pepto Bismo and shut the hell up.

Old
02-06-2012, 12:54 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
I would like to thank Bret Bielema for poking the sleeping giant with a stick. I hope Meyer goes up to Madison this year and lays an epic whoopin' on the Badgers. I hope it's one of those 80 point, continue passing in the fourth quarter up by 40, jobs that Bielema has become fond of. If Bielema is searching for something classless, he should look at the reflection of his bloated face in the mirror.

Damn I hate cry babies. Be a man, take some Pepto Bismo and shut the hell up.
I have no doubt that Meyer if given the chance will have no problem blowing them out of the water.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
My bet is that it's mostly the latter, but he's incompetent enough to think that it's the former. "HAHAHA I finally caught them at somethi- wait what do you mean that's not against the rules?"

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
02-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Super Bowl commercial in the Canada market, gotta luv those beer leagues...

http://youtu.be/y0qZYqdsYAg

Credit to LTL

Old
02-12-2012, 01:14 PM
EspenK

For any basketball fans here:

Do you think Matta is a good bench coach? Me I think he is terrible. Can't remember a game where things weren't going so well where he was able to make some adjustments and pull the game out.

Do you think Calipari,Boeheim,Calhoun,Izzo, etc., any of the top coaches would still have LaQuinton Ross playing the Invisible Man? From what I've heard he is offensively talented, can shoot the three,etc. Where the heck is he? What a waste of a season to have played him in a couple of games for a few minutes. If that was going to be it, can you say redshirt? His bench has once again pretty much disappeared.

Not saying that he doesn't recruit well and obviously piles up 20 win seasons but???

Old
02-12-2012, 01:28 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
For any basketball fans here:

Do you think Matta is a good bench coach? Me I think he is terrible. Can't remember a game where things weren't going so well where he was able to make some adjustments and pull the game out.

Do you think Calipari,Boeheim,Calhoun,Izzo, etc., any of the top coaches would still have LaQuinton Ross playing the Invisible Man? From what I've heard he is offensively talented, can shoot the three,etc. Where the heck is he? What a waste of a season to have played him in a couple of games for a few minutes. If that was going to be it, can you say redshirt? His bench has once again pretty much disappeared.

Not saying that he doesn't recruit well and obviously piles up 20 win seasons but???
I think he's an excellent coach. His strengths are recruiting (of course!) and the improvement his players make from year to year (with Buford being a possible exception!). Coaches don't win 20 a year, every year, by accident. That said, his weaknesses include over-reliance on his starters and failure to develop and utilize his bench. Losing to MSU at home doesn't suddenly make him a bad coach, nor does his lack of playing time for a top recruit. We have no idea what Ross does or doesn't do in practice, so there's no way we can say he should be playing.

Old
02-12-2012, 03:13 PM
EspenK

Is Sullinger really better this year? I don't think so. He's a solid player but better, no. And you didn't address the in-game adjustment issue. I still think he is not very good in that area.

Old
02-12-2012, 03:29 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Is Sullinger really better this year? I don't think so. He's a solid player but better, no. And you didn't address the in-game adjustment issue. I still think he is not very good in that area.
I wasn't doing a point by point rebuttal, just giving my opinion. Sullinger's numbers are similar to last year, even though I think he has much less help than he did, then. Could mean he's better, might not. Still, even if he and Buford are not better, I think most of his kids do improve. As for adjustments, seems to me they've come back to win games in the second half, but I'm not capable of judging how much that has to do with any strategic changes. It often seems that coaches who recruit top talent are said to be poor game coaches - guys like Boeheim, Thompson, Tark, etc. May be, I'm not so sure.

Closed Thread