HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Live videostream at 2:30 today...

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2004, 09:14 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Live videostream at 2:30 today...

on www.nhlcbanews.com. Bettman will be speaking after the Board of Governors decides to enforce the lockout.

Old
09-15-2004, 02:17 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Bettman's done a great job at this press conference so far. At very least, a great PR move, one that the NHLPA is going to be hard pressed to follow.

Anyone else listening?

Old
09-15-2004, 03:06 PM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Bettman's done a great job at this press conference so far. At very least, a great PR move, one that the NHLPA is going to be hard pressed to follow.

Anyone else listening?
I watched the whole thing on www.tsn.ca. He did a good job from the owners perspective but how much of it was lies and exaggarations?

What ticked me off the most about it was that he kept referring to the current CBA as the root of all evil. Well Mr. Bettman, you negotiated the root of all evil and now you are blaming it on the players!!!!!! It was your deal, you idiot and the players took advantage of your stupid owners.

As you can see I ws really, really ticked off.

Old
09-15-2004, 03:13 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I'll tell you, though, that the NHLPA response was very very good...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=98794

Old
09-15-2004, 03:20 PM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille

Quote:
The NHL continues to make selective and distorted references to team finances. We have seen some of the NHL's data but only after signing confidentiality agreements that prevent us from offering specific comments. As the NHL continues to claim its financial survival is at stake, it should open its books and let everyone see the teams claiming these losses. We have publicly asked the NHL to do so but they steadfastly refuse to expose the information to the light of day.

Can anyone smell the books cooking????

Old
09-15-2004, 03:24 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveille

Indeed. A quick quote (something we;ve talked about):

"Unfortunately, the League has rejected all opportunities for compromise, while stubbornly insisting that Gary Bettman has the single solution to every problem - a salary cap"

It is rather hard to come to a compromise when one side is refusing to compromise, preferring instead to ONLY dictate terms.

Old
09-15-2004, 03:25 PM
Slewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.RangerFan
What ticked me off the most about it was that he kept referring to the current CBA as the root of all evil. Well Mr. Bettman, you negotiated the root of all evil and now you are blaming it on the players!!!!!! It was your deal, you idiot and the players took advantage of your stupid owners.
Excellent point.. I guess nobody is supposed to remember that Bettman negotiated the last deal ??

Old
09-15-2004, 03:59 PM
Fletch

What the NHLPA is saying...

is that the teams that are likely losing the most money are the ones that continue to outbid others for UFAs, i.e., the Rangers. So the Rangers organization is now crying because of all the money they're losing, when we all know that it's them and only them that have positioned themselves in such a way. It's comical. The Rangers would love a cap. It reduces their costs by about $50 million from last year and it forces them to hold back on spending (to not feel the pressure on us to put out a winning team - and of course the only way they can do that is by spending - and further, we all know that's been a failed model). Yep, let's make the Dolans richer. MSG revenues won't dip significantly, and as the team wins it will rise, and with a salary cap, they have the leverage to produce oodles of cash flow in that event, and once they win they raise taxes, all falling into Sather's and Jimmy's pockets. Love it, love it.

Old
09-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Larry David*

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Indeed. A quick quote (something we;ve talked about):

"Unfortunately, the League has rejected all opportunities for compromise, while stubbornly insisting that Gary Bettman has the single solution to every problem - a salary cap"

It is rather hard to come to a compromise when one side is refusing to compromise, preferring instead to ONLY dictate terms.
A Salary Cap is what this league needs

Old
09-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.RangerFan
The way Bettman told it at the press conference, he basically extended the existing CBA during the lockout of '94 in a good faith move by the league to salvage that season. He states that he first became concerned with the terms of the CBA in early '99, long after he'd agreed to them. I don't think he envisioned that the owners would allow themselves to be exploited to the degree they did.

You are right though LIRfan. The mystery surrounding just how much of the league's financial problems can be attributed to player salaries is easily cleared up by just making "the books" public. Until we really know if the league is telling the truth, none of us can make an educated assessment of the situation.

Old
09-16-2004, 08:46 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Until we really know if the league is telling the truth, none of us can make an educated assessment of the situation.
That will never happen. Why else would ANYONE who has looked at the financial reports be required to take a non-disclosure clause? Daly has basically said that the few NHLPA reps that have taken a look at the "books" that the league presented could not comment on them, but they COULD say that they do not believe that the league is loosing nearly as much as portrayed. Why put a gag order if these so-called books point to how poorly the league is doing?
Bettman is a disengenous a$$. He has never had ANY interest in having a season. That is why he can put some of the outrageous proposals on the table. My personal fave? The one where the league takes the power of contract negotiation away from a team and makes itself responsible for contract negotiations. This way a player could only sign for a team for only as much money as Bettman feels the team can afford.
Now hearing that the expected lenght of the lockout is 12-18 months, how can even the question of bargaining in good faith come into question? How do you bargain in good faith when 2 years ago, you (Bettman) have the owners start the warchest for the eventual lockout?
Bettman may well be responsible in killing off hockey in the USA.

Old
09-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Fletch

Mj...

the only guess is that the owners are overstating their losses. By how much is the question. And like I mentioned many times, I don't care that the Rangers lost $40 million (which brings the total league-wide losses down significantly). Why don't I care? Because they're poorly managed.

Closed Thread