HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Havlat signs 1-year deal

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2004, 03:51 PM
Sting

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Sting
Havlat signs 1-year deal

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=98803

Nice to see we got him before the CBA expires.

Old
09-15-2004, 04:11 PM
Spezza

Agreed.

Old
09-15-2004, 04:58 PM
IdiotsPickedMyName*

Awesome it just to bad that it doesnt really matter anyways

i miss hockey already

Old
09-15-2004, 05:24 PM
Foster

Send a message via AIM to Foster Send a message via MSN to Foster
Good...now he can play for whatever team he wants to...yet he still call him ours.

Old
09-15-2004, 05:24 PM
senate

What the hell happened with the Varada signing big fat Garrioch said was done deal in early July?

Old
09-15-2004, 05:36 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

How about Havlat leading the Cezh team in scoring with 3 goals and 3 assists? To all you guys that wanted to trade him, think again. The world's best players with a Cezh team full of stars and Havlat played quite well as he also does for the Sens even in the playoffs. Alfredson and Hossa should learn a thing or two from this guy who doesn't dissapear when the going gets tough. I'm willing to bet the Cezh's have a new coach next time we see them internationally too.

Old
09-15-2004, 06:04 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by senate
What the hell happened with the Varada signing big fat Garrioch said was done deal in early July?
http://www.ottawasenators.com/news/p...04/nr0915a.aro

Old
09-15-2004, 07:32 PM
senate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat9
Never mind then.

Old
09-16-2004, 06:49 AM
punkorama

Do we have any idea on the particulars of the deal? Also any opinions why we didnt sign Havlat to a multi year deal? Could this deal possibly have an option?

Old
09-16-2004, 07:13 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

I think that Havlat signed a 1 year deal because this year will count towards the 5 necessary years it takes to get to salary arbitration. Even if there is no season this year his contract will expire and I think he would be eligible for salary arbitration.

Old
09-16-2004, 09:49 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
I think that Havlat signed a 1 year deal because this year will count towards the 5 necessary years it takes to get to salary arbitration. Even if there is no season this year his contract will expire and I think he would be eligible for salary arbitration.
Maybe under the current CBA, but who knows what the rules will be under the new CBA.

I suspect it is the Sens who only wanted a 1 year deal, hoping that he can be signed for less in the future under the terms of the new CBA (assuming Bettman wins this war of wills).

Havlat on the other hand probably figures he is screwed no matter what. Under the current system he has to wait a few more years before he can reap any of the really really big $ (as if $2.3M isn't big). So no matter what, he will have to live with wathever the new system imposes. Since he figures to be at the top end of any scale they come up with, he will be getting maximum $ available for a player in his circumstances until he can test free agency.

Whether or not the the current contract counts will I'm sure be one of the topics for discussion in the new CBA, and if a partial season gets played it will probably be pro-rated.

Old
09-16-2004, 10:36 AM
chara

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn
How about Havlat leading the Cezh team in scoring with 3 goals and 3 assists? To all you guys that wanted to trade him, think again. The world's best players with a Cezh team full of stars and Havlat played quite well as he also does for the Sens even in the playoffs. Alfredson and Hossa should learn a thing or two from this guy who doesn't dissapear when the going gets tough. I'm willing to bet the Cezh's have a new coach next time we see them internationally too.
Absolute agreement.

Of all the Sens players involved in the World Cup, Havlat was the most dominant. Elias's goal to tie the semi-final game was all about Havlat with both D focussing all their energies on him, respecting his speed and his creative ability to bust up the middle. Havlat had 6 points which is incredible considering his coach waited til late in the tourny to use him in key situations. If the Czechs had won the game and then the World Cup, Havlat could very well been named tourny MVP. He was that good, bodes very well for the Sens. Enough of being a third line RW, he has to play more with top players on his line. (i.e. Havlat-Spezza-Hossa or Havlat-Fisher-Alfie)

Last edited by chara: 09-16-2004 at 10:41 AM.
Old
09-16-2004, 12:22 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat
Maybe under the current CBA, but who knows what the rules will be under the new CBA.

I suspect it is the Sens who only wanted a 1 year deal, hoping that he can be signed for less in the future under the terms of the new CBA (assuming Bettman wins this war of wills).

Havlat on the other hand probably figures he is screwed no matter what. Under the current system he has to wait a few more years before he can reap any of the really really big $ (as if $2.3M isn't big). So no matter what, he will have to live with wathever the new system imposes. Since he figures to be at the top end of any scale they come up with, he will be getting maximum $ available for a player in his circumstances until he can test free agency.

Whether or not the the current contract counts will I'm sure be one of the topics for discussion in the new CBA, and if a partial season gets played it will probably be pro-rated.
Even if under a new CBA the arbitration rights is after 6 years, Havlat would still be a year closer to arbitration and his big payday. That's just my opinion on why he signed. Should be an interesting negotiation.

Old
09-16-2004, 01:39 PM
VanCanuck

Great the see Marty in Ottawa for another year.

Old
09-16-2004, 02:40 PM
15theheatison*

btw it's a 1-year deal worth 2.3 mill

Old
09-16-2004, 02:58 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Even if under a new CBA the arbitration rights is after 6 years, Havlat would still be a year closer to arbitration and his big payday. That's just my opinion on why he signed. Should be an interesting negotiation.
He may be closer (again that would up for negotiations as to what happens to contracts) but he may not be closer to "the" big pay day. Arbitration could be turned upside down in the new CBA if the owners have their way. There could be limits imposed to salary awards, number of times a player can file for arbitration may be limited, all sorts of things could happen.

Point is, the owners have no interest in seeing players get "big pay days" anymore. So if they win on this new CBA, players like Havlat would get royally rooked at least compared to current salaries (not that making $3-$4M a year would be that bad). But he won't be getting any $10M/yr contract. No one will. Or else, (if you believe the owners), there willl be no viable NHL anymore.

Closed Thread