HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Trade Proposal Thread ‎2011 (part 7)

View Poll Results: Yay or Nay?
Yes 11 47.83%
No 12 52.17%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Disgaree. Pouliot and Latendresse were two players that both desperately needed a change of scenery. Brassard might be a similar case but everything about Eller suggests that he's a good fit in Montreal and here to stay long term.
Maybe Lats needed a change of scenery, but to me he should have had twice the value of Pouliot, having had some success at the NHL level at 19, 20 and 21 playing with grinders and getting virtually no PP time. Plus Lats brought a lot more in the physical game and was a year younger. First 3 pro years...

209 GP 46-36-82 at 19-20-21 for Lats
51 GP 7-7-14 at 20-21-22 for Pouliot

Since being promoted to a top 6 role(Lats)...80 GP 32-19-51...don't tell me we couldn't use a 6'2" 225lbs guy that scores 30 a year. Pouliot meanwhile has gotten numerous top 6 opportunities and messed each one up ending up on the 4th line or press box.

Old
12-07-2011, 12:08 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Maybe Lats needed a change of scenery, but to me he should have had twice the value of Pouliot, having had some success at the NHL level at 19, 20 and 21 playing with grinders and getting virtually no PP time. Plus Lats brought a lot more in the physical game and was a year younger. First 3 pro years...

Since being promoted to a top 6 role(Lats)...80 GP 32-19-51...don't tell me we couldn't use a 6'2" 225lbs guy that scores 30 a year. Pouliot meanwhile has gotten numerous top 6 opportunities and messed each one up ending up on the 4th line or press box.
Hey I'm not disagreeing with that...but at the time, both were stuck in a similar situation that made trading one for the other reasonable. At the time of the deal Latendresse had 3 points vs. Pouliot's 4. Both were spinning their wheels. I don't think a similar comparison can be made to Eller/Brassard, is all.

Old
12-07-2011, 12:21 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid View Post
Sorry but I can't take a site that refers to PG as the goat seriously.

As for Eller for Brassard, no thanks. As mentioned, the Jackets have had little success with their first round picks and nothing really suggests that Brassard will any different. Poor first round drafting is one of the reason they have only made the playoffs once in their history.

Old
12-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Hey I'm not disagreeing with that...but at the time, both were stuck in a similar situation that made trading one for the other reasonable. At the time of the deal Latendresse had 3 points vs. Pouliot's 4. Both were spinning their wheels. I don't think a similar comparison can be made to Eller/Brassard, is all.
Yes both were struggling that season, but Latendresse has previously shown he could be an asset at the NHL level and it was easy to project more offense playing with say Gomez and Gionta versus Lapierre and Kostopoulos...unfortunately JM had it in for him from day 1.

Old
12-07-2011, 01:11 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:

Well at 4 goals and 8 points in 14 games this year he seems to have fallen to his old scoring pace and he is injured yet again. I still think he is/was overrated by a lot in the province of Quebec.

Old
12-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Well at 4 goals and 8 points in 14 games this year he seems to have fallen to his old scoring pace and he is injured yet again. I still think he is/was overrated by a lot in the province of Quebec.
Still puts him at 24-24-28 over a full season and the same prduction as Bobby Ryan whom some want to trade half the team for.

Old
12-07-2011, 01:30 PM
HCH

Quote:
Sorry but I can't take a site that refers to PG as the goat seriously.

As for Eller for Brassard, no thanks. As mentioned, the Jackets have had little success with their first round picks and nothing really suggests that Brassard will any different. Poor first round drafting is one of the reason they have only made the playoffs once in their history.
Go to the Columbus board and see what they say about Brassard. At one time I thought this guy might be worth looking at but if any of the stories are true, I can't see why any team would want him... unless maybe he had a league minimum contract.

Old
12-07-2011, 01:37 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:
Still puts him at 24-24-28 over a full season and the same prduction as Bobby Ryan whom some want to trade half the team for.
Who has only played 25 of his teams last 110+ games. His good numbers for a little over a half a season after his trade to the Wild are to small a sample size to convince me he will ever be a regular 30 goal 60 point guy in the NHL.

Old
12-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Who has only played 25 of his teams last 110+ games. His good numbers for a little over a half a season after his trade to the Wild are to small a sample size to convince me he will ever be a regular 30 goal 60 point guy in the NHL.
Even if he was to average 25-25-50 player he would still be worth 3 times what Pouliot is which is an NHL journeyman.

Old
12-07-2011, 02:03 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Quote:
Even if he was to average 25-25-50 player he would still be worth 3 times what Pouliot is which is an NHL journeyman.
In the end he never put those numbers up here in Montreal and I don't think he ever would have. He was known to be lazy and have a certain sense of entitlement as so many in the press dubbed him the French savior of sorts. Was he given up on to early? Maybe but I highly doubt if things continued as they were here he would have ever been a 25-25 player.

Old
12-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
In the end he never put those numbers up here in Montreal and I don't think he ever would have. He was known to be lazy and have a certain sense of entitlement as so many in the press dubbed him the French savior of sorts. Was he given up on to early? Maybe but I highly doubt if things continued as they were here he would have ever been a 25-25 player.
Instead of pigeonholing him on the 3rd and 4th line with the likes of Lapierre Dandenault Kostpoulos Laraque and co they should have challenged him by putting him with skill players(Plek Cammy Gio Gomez), especially in early 09-10 with the injuries up front.

Old
12-07-2011, 04:57 PM
LeedsMonster

Trade value inquiry

Hey guys, Devils fan here wondering what Erik Coles trade value is. What would it take to get him?

Old
12-07-2011, 05:01 PM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeedsMonster View Post
Hey guys, Devils fan here wondering what Erik Coles trade value is. What would it take to get him?
I highly doubt management would trade a guy that just signed a 4 year deal a few months ago. I don't think the Canadiens ever did this... We are small and weak and Cole provides size, grit and speed, he's a perfect fit here.

As for value...

A young big top 9 player and a B level prospect and-or a pick.

Old
12-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Optimus Price

A lot. Right now, he's only one of the bright spot on offence and brings the much needed grit.

You can have back Gionta anytime though.

Old
12-07-2011, 08:27 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Whats Parise's trade value?

Old
12-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
I highly doubt management would trade a guy that just signed a 4 year deal a few months ago. I don't think the Canadiens ever did this... We are small and weak and Cole provides size, grit and speed, he's a perfect fit here.

As for value...

A young big top 9 player and a B level prospect and-or a pick.
How are the Habs small and weak with Gill and Emelin on defense plus Cole Pacioretty Eller Moen AK etc up front?

Old
12-07-2011, 09:06 PM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
How are the Habs small and weak with Gill and Emelin on defense plus Cole Pacioretty Eller Moen AK etc up front?
Plekanec, Desharnais, Gionta, Gomez, Cammalleri, Weber, Diaz and Darche are not was I call an ''intimidating presence''. Yes we do have bigger guys and a few good hitters but globally we are a small team and no very physical. That's why having Cole helps a lot...

Old
12-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
Plekanec, Desharnais, Gionta, Gomez, Cammalleri, Weber, Diaz and Darche are not was I call an ''intimidating presence''. Yes we do have bigger guys and a few good hitters but globally we are a small team and no very physical. That's why having Cole helps a lot...
I can name 10-12 guys from any roster in the NHL that are not an "intimidating presence". I find the team is average sized, a bunch of small guys, a bunch of big guys and a few in the middle.

Old
12-07-2011, 09:09 PM
HCH

Quote:
For starters, you would have to agree to take Gomez back

Old
12-07-2011, 09:26 PM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
I can name 10-12 guys from any roster in the NHL that are not an "intimidating presence". I find the team is average sized, a bunch of small guys, a bunch of big guys and a few in the middle.
Problem is that our top 6 is very very small.

Cole - Pleks - Patches
Gionta - Deharnais - Cammalleri

That's a top 6 with an average of barely 5'10 and 189.8lbs (numbers from NHL.com). That's small.

Like you said a bunch of small guys (primarily on our top 6), a few big guys (Gill, Enqgvist, Blunden) and a bunch in the middle (3rd and 4th liners and D's)

Old
12-07-2011, 10:08 PM
shao01

Wouldn't mind Brassard but definitely not for Eller.

I would offer something like Spacek+2nd/decent prospect but the Jackets will probably want more

Old
12-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Andy

Bobby Mac said Carolina may be interested in hearing offers for Staal.

Would you move Plekanec for Staal?

tough decision imo.

Old
12-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Bieber fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

tough decision imo.
if we can get rid of Gomez this summer I would do it ....

Old
12-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

tough decision imo.
If you want Staal, maybe throw in a Subban and a 1st while you're at it. Your decision just got a little
harder.

Old
12-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
If you want Staal, maybe throw in a Subban and a 1st while you're at it. Your decision just got a little
harder.
Why Subban? Makes no sense.

Carter and Richards are similar players with similar productions, similar age and better contracts and got traded for much less than what you are suggesting ought to be traded for Staal.

No team would do that, it wouldn't even make the Canadiens a better team, they'd be significantly worse.

Trading Plekanec for Staal for the canes would make them marginally worse than what they are right now. Giving a blue chip prospect or 2 and a 1st would suffice considering that if the habs keep losing that it may be a high first.

Closed Thread