Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Minnesota Wild recognized in the rap world

Old
12-17-2011, 04:31 PM
RxDangles19

vCash: 500
Minnesota Wild recognized in the rap world

I don't know if any of you are fans of rap at all, but I listen to some here and there. One of my favorite rappers T.I. is in the music video Strange Clouds by B.O.B. He doesn't rap in the song but he makes an appearance in the video and I had to almost do a double take when I saw him. He is in the video a few times throughout the song and is wearing a Minnesota Wild hat. Thought this was pretty cool as I never expected a rapper to rep the Wild like that. The video was released on Dec. 5th so he may just be paying some respect to the top team

RxDangles19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Who the **** even listens to rap?

Puhis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:36 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
...its a ridiculously popular music genre.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:39 PM
se7en
infamous...

Picture or it didnt happen. Haha

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:41 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Quote:
A LOT of people.

From my experience with people under 20, it is far more popular than pretty much any genre.

Terrible song, mainly because lil wayne was involved. He is a terribly horrible rapper.

And when Tip went back to jail this last time he was seen wearing a Wild hat around during his two weeks free. I posted pictures in the OT thread here on hfboards and I can probably go search for it again.

My favorite hockey rap reference? J. Cole on
:35

Won't brag, but the boy been blessed, mayne, let you play with the stick, Ovechkayne

Last edited by FUBAR McDangles: 12-17-2011 at 04:57 PM.
FUBAR McDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
...its a ridiculously popular
FIFY.

But then again, it's just my $0.02, and nothing to be taken personally. I just... don't like mainstream rap music at all. In fact, in my books there aren't more good rap songs than I have fingers.

Old
12-17-2011, 04:44 PM
RxDangles19

A lot of people listen to it actually, may not be popular in Finland but in America it is huge. So he has worn it before huh? That is pretty sweet! Didn't think a guy from the ATL would like the Minnesota Wild haha. Tip is in the video for a second around 1:15 and appears again later for a longer period where you can get a better look at the hat.

Old
12-17-2011, 04:48 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
FIFY.

But then again, it's just my $0.02, and nothing to be taken personally. I just... don't like mainstream rap music at all. In fact, in my books there aren't more good rap songs than I have fingers.
I don't want to go on a tangent here, but that's a very ignorant view on rap.

Every decade, with every new genre of music, from the dawn of rock, people said that "That's not music!" Music evolves and changes, that's the nature of things, Rap is just a new step and way of approaching music.

You'll always get the mundane stuff that appeals to the Lowest common denominator, but there's tons of innovative stuff that is very interesting.

Old
12-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxDangles19 View Post
A lot of people listen to it actually, may not be popular in Finland but in America it is huge.
It is, sadly, very popular up here. It's a shame, because not only it's based upon bragging, bling, crime and money, it's also stealing the spotlight from better artists who are more talented, work harder and make real music.

A good example, both artists are Finnish, the time period is different but the result would be the same today:

Video #1: Kingston Wall - For A Mankind (the video has a false title).

2 461 views on YouTube. The band never sold albums in great numbers, yet was very popular in Finnish rock scene and the band was overall very talented. Petri Walli had a very, very good voice. Keep in mind that this song is basically his suicide note as the band broke up shortly afterwards and he went to Goa for some time before returning to Finland and jumping off a church tower in 1995.

Video #2: Cheek - Jippikaijei (Warning: Video might be slightly NSFW due to partial nudity).

3 297 469 views on YouTube. Cheek has been for years one of the most popular artists in Finland for, basically, making similar ******** and selling it en masse. That alleged song basically tells about how he's a "winner".

Now, tell me, with a straight face, that the latter sampled, autotune bull that some people dare to call music involved more talent, skill or work than the first one. And it shows. It shouldn't be difficult to pick the one that sounds better...

Old
12-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Dominus
Believe to see!

Quote:
Well, I'm a metal guy (mainly) and even I listen to some rap. There's good stuff in every music genre.

Dominus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:

Every decade, with every new genre of music, from the dawn of rock, people said that "That's not music!" Music evolves and changes, that's the nature of things, Rap is just a new step and way of approaching music.

You'll always get the mundane stuff that appeals to the Lowest common denominator, but there's tons of innovative stuff that is very interesting.
Raps been around for how long now and I still barely consider it to be music. Some of it is fine to listen to, and I dont mind that most of the background music is all just programmed into a beat box, thats fine, I listen to a lot of electronic music. Its the lyrics that consistently irk me. A good majority of the popular stuff is all about glamorizing money and sex and other stuff that is inherently negative and overindulgent. Have you seen some of the videos? Yeah, everyone loves half naked women shaking their ******* and ass around, but come on, giant gold chains with huge gold and silver paperweights attached? Clothing that would make a stereotypical pimp go "Good god man, what the hell are you wearing?" and then some kind of attitude like they actually deserve it? Get the hell off my TV/Radio, etc, etc. I just wanna go up to one of those guys and tell them to get over themselves.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. I listened to rap music a lot at one point, trying to find an artist that I liked and discovered only a couple and even those guys never made it to the top. Immortal Technique, Timo Pieni Huijaus and Notkea Rotta are pretty much the only rappers I've ever actually liked. And even they only have a couple of songs worth listening.

Old
12-17-2011, 05:07 PM
FUBAR McDangles

Quote:
It is, sadly, very popular up here. It's a shame, because not only it's based upon bragging, bling, crime and money, it's also stealing the spotlight from better artists who are more talented, work harder and make real music.
People use the argument all the time, but really what do other artists sing about? I'll be ignorant and post this:

Rock? All about banging girls or making money or partying
Country? All about love songs, partying, getting drunk, and banging girls
Pop? All about love songs, partying, or banging girls
Techno? All about partying

Seriously, it pisses me off when people trying to put one genre above another when talking about certain types of music. You can refute any and all my statements above, but seriously, aside from a very small sample of songs that involve other topics, there isn't much else out there.

Rap is the same way. Yeah, most of it is about flaunting how much money you have, how many girls you're getting, how successful you are, but look at rock. I have plenty of rock songs and what are they? About flaunting how much money you have, how many girls you're getting, how successful you are.

There are rap songs that portray great messages and there are songs that make the entire genre look terrible. You can pick and choose on what makes what look good and look bad, but at the end of the day no genre is above any other when it comes to topics.

Back on track here, I found the T.I. pics I was talking about:

Old
12-17-2011, 05:18 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Raps been around for how long now and I still barely consider it to be music. Some of it is fine to listen to, and I dont mind that most of the background music is all just programmed into a beat box, thats fine, I listen to a lot of electronic music. Its the lyrics that consistently irk me. A good majority of the popular stuff is all about glamorizing money and sex and other stuff that is inherently negative and overindulgent. Have you seen some of the videos? Yeah, everyone loves half naked women shaking their ******* and ass around, but come on, giant gold chains with huge gold and silver paperweights attached? Clothing that would make a stereotypical pimp go "Good god man, what the hell are you wearing?" and then some kind of attitude like they actually deserve it? Get the hell off my TV/Radio, etc, etc. I just wanna go up to one of those guys and tell them to get over themselves.
It's funny that people here are saying that, because the Twin Cities rap scene is a direct rebellion against those things in a lot of ways. I used to absolutely hate rap and say a lot of the same things, but once I got into stuff put out by Rhymesayers I really came around. You won't hear, say, Brother Ali or Atmosphere glamorizing any of that ****, and the production is just incredibly musical.

Not a huge TI fan, though his songs are occasionally catchy. (I think Mauer's batting song is by TI...) Still cool to see national recognition in an unexpected place like that. Who knew he was a hockey fan?

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:21 PM
RxDangles19

Hahaha I listened to that rap song and yeah the video looks just like an American rap video. Thanks for finding those pictures, that would be sweet if he was actually a fan

Old
12-17-2011, 05:23 PM
FUBAR McDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder
Have you seen some of the videos? Yeah, everyone loves half naked women shaking their ******* and ass around, but come on, giant gold chains with huge gold and silver paperweights attached? Clothing that would make a stereotypical pimp go "Good god man, what the hell are you wearing?" and then some kind of attitude like they actually deserve it? Get the hell off my TV/Radio, etc, etc. I just wanna go up to one of those guys and tell them to get over themselves.
So you put them down for spending their money on things that they enjoy?

They're just accessories. And even so, few artists actually go for the big gold chains and such now, looking at music videos. Yeah some still do, but it's not nearly as wide-spread as it was in the early 2000s, which seems to be the last time you saw a rap music video, apparently.

Clothing that would make a stereotypical pimp outcry? In the early 2000s they wore oversized jerseys and such, but now rappers typically wear normal attire in music videos. Look at the one above that this thread was made about. Watch the whole video(I suggest you turn the volume down, it is a terrible song) and see how many times you would say that what they're wearing is terrible and out of the ordinary. Aside from skinny jeans and oversized glasses, what would make a stereotypical pimp rage?

And these guys don't deserve the money they get? How do you figure?

The guy this thread was made for, T.I., struggled to where he is now at the top of the game. He lived in the projects in Atlanta without a father, his mother left when he was young, he struggled through life and dropped out of high school to sell drugs to fund his rap career. His first album BOMBED horribly, but that taught him enough lessons to go ahead and make his second album, which not only blew him up but is also one of the best albums of the 2000s. He's ahead of trends and fads, he created his own label and has signed talent to his label and is constantly changing his style to appeal to a wider audience. He definitely worked for what he has, and I don't know how you can say otherwise. Are there undeserving guys in the rap genre? Of course. But the same can be said about every other genre out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Not a huge TI fan, though his songs are occasionally catchy. (I think Mauer's batting song is by TI...)
Yup,

What You Know, off of the album "King". It was also the theme song for the movie ATL, which was T.I.'s acting debut in a movie.

Old
12-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 850
Now you two are just stereotyping both genres, both have their talents and their geniuses, and then the commercial joke artists. Just open your eyes (ears or w.e. ), it'll save you some headaches. Earlier today I was at this very underground live gig of this band http://havitys.bandcamp.com/
and now I'm listening to this:

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:33 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
It's funny that people here are saying that, because the Twin Cities rap scene is a direct rebellion against those things in a lot of ways. I used to absolutely hate rap and say a lot of the same things, but once I got into stuff put out by Rhymesayers I really came around. You won't hear, say, Brother Ali or Atmosphere glamorizing any of that ****, and the production is just incredibly musical.

Not a huge TI fan, though his songs are occasionally catchy. (I think Mauer's batting song is by TI...) Still cool to see national recognition in an unexpected place like that. Who knew he was a hockey fan?
If you're referring to the song I think you're referring to, it's not.

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 06:25 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
If you're referring to the song I think you're referring to, it's not.
Yeah he used that custom song for like two weeks before he switched back to "What You Know."

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 06:48 PM
nickschultzfan

I put this 50% on him just liking the logo. I see kids in New York all the time wearing random sport teams hats for fashion, rather than supporting the team.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 06:58 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Listen to lyrics and the stuff they write is poetry. All from Minnesota.

Doomtree
Dessa
No Bird Sing
Cecil Otter
Heiruspecs
Eyedea

Quote:
Dessa

If you welcome every trespass / then every tramp’s a guest / Give what they would take from you / then every theft’s a gift / Hold too tightly to what’s in your hands or in your chest / and the future it won’t open, palm reader’s can’t work fists

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:57 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Just because you don't like a specific genre doesn't mean its "not music" saying such makes it sound like you have some special power that allows you to say what is and what isn't music. It also makes you sound like a musical elitist. Music at its core is just sound (and silence) through time.

And I mean right now rap is right at the same point (hair) metal was in the 80s. There's the popular stuff that all has to do with sex and money and partying, but there's also the stuff that doesn't get as much press/ air time that is about more introspective and critical issues.

The majority of the popular music for every genre is crap, but there will always be artists within those genres fighting against the status quo, and what that music has come to represent. The Rhymesayers group, and childish Gambino for instance. And then you have MC chris who just raps about nerdy awkward stuff. Beastie boys are one of the more popular rap groups, and they don't rap about the 'stereotypical stuff' (unless you count fight for your right, which wasn't supposed to be a serious song, it was a parody song that people took seriously).

You guys seem to think that this 'rap culture' of excess and debauchery is one and the same with the musical genre of rap, which it's not. I can totally understand not liking that culture and the 'gangsta' ideals, but those are mutually exclusive from the genre that is rap, granted many popular groups may use that culture as inspiration for their lyrics, but they are still 2 different things.

Rap is just a way to get your point across, and artists and producers realized that the stuff that is about sex and violence and money sells, thus they push forward rap that has that content, and they make the videos almost caricatures of the culture. But judging an entire genre of music based on what gets pushed forward is not fair to the genre.

If you sincerely don't enjoy rap as a musical medium then that's fine, but saying it's not music, and making huge generalizations against it and its contents isn't right.

This is all coming from a person who lists classical as his favorite genre of music, and rap as his least favorite.

And that's all I have to say about that, back to studying Ochem.

Old
12-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Fighting Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I put this 50% on him just liking the logo. I see kids in New York all the time wearing random sport teams hats for fashion, rather than supporting the team.
Most likely.

Fighting Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Sounds about right.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
A lot of that rap from the mid 80's to early 90s is pretty damn good.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote