HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Evgeny Kuznetsov

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Bure

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I think if you take the top 5 or 6 teams from each league and put them in a tournament, and most of the CHL clubs would win.

I do think when you cherry pick the MHL teams, let them practice a bit, they can compete with CHL players in most tournaments.

But depth and the amount of top end talent is the difference between the two. And it's not just Russians who are talented in the CHL. That's the dividing factor in a lot of minds.
Yeah i Agree on that.

Old
03-01-2012, 03:11 PM
NMF78

vCash: 500
Quote:
I think if you take the top 5 or 6 teams from each league and put them in a tournament, and most of the CHL clubs would win.
i think the top MHL teams would probably be at least on par with the top CHL-teams, its further down the league that there's probably some quality difference though i doubt its by much

Old
03-01-2012, 03:43 PM
NeilYoung

Did someone seriously say the MHL is on par with the WHL? That's one of the most ludicrous things I've read on this board and that's saying a lot.

Old
03-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Zine

MHL is likely on par with the QMJHL.

Old
03-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Super series and WJC are just comparing the top handful of players from each league. Sure, the top players in the MHL have a lot of talent. Nobody doubts that. But the quantity of good players in the CHL far outstrips the quantity of good players in the MHL. That's where the difference lies.

Only 4 of the top 30 MHL scorers participated in the Super Series. 3 in the WJC.

Also MHLers, age wise, are a bit older (the league is open to 1990 and 1991 born players)....and come playoff time, MHL clubs are frequently reinforced by eligible KHLers who are out of the playoffs.
Age and experience can certainly compensate for a lack of talent depth. I mean we all know how common it is for average-skilled overagers to dominate the CHL.

Last edited by Zine: 03-02-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old
03-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
The whole "we won the WJCs" is a silly argument. Whose best players from the CHL are in the NHL?

If you put on the three or four best players from the past two drafts to the WJC team who are in the NHL instead of juniors, Canada's superior.

The MHL is improving, but it's nowhere near the CHL. That's just the facts, no matter what the biased homers might feel.

Now THIS is the most silly argument. "Superior" can only be decided in a game. Talking about imaginary rosters gets you nowhere beyond obscurity. Russia had a number of injuries too. Russia would be even more superior with those players on the roster... blah, blah, blah.

Why is it silly? The complete canadian squad plays in the CHL.

What do you actually know abut the MHL to say it's "nowhere near" the CHL?

Old
03-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Atas2000

Quote:

I do think when you cherry pick the MHL teams, let them practice a bit, they can compete with CHL players in most tournaments.

But depth and the amount of top end talent is the difference between the two. And it's not just Russians who are talented in the CHL. That's the dividing factor in a lot of minds.
Top 5 or 6 teams from MHL or even the top 10 would mean a sad, sad series for every CHL team. IT may look different with the bottom 10 though.

Old
03-04-2012, 08:27 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
I don't agree at all. In a pure skill stand point, maybe. The KHL is littered with talented washouts from the NHL who might be able to put the puck through their legs and score, but couldn't play a lick of a defense. when you factor in the impact of adjustment to the NA game, the NA lifestyle and the culture, it's the CHL by a decent margin.
There's more to the hockey world than the NHL. NA schould learn to live with it. There are playes in the KHl you dont' really know at all. And they are still good enough.

Old
03-04-2012, 09:52 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
Top 5 or 6 teams from MHL or even the top 10 would mean a sad, sad series for every CHL team.
No it wouldn't.

I'll go ahead and say that St. John would thoroughly dominate Almaz.

Old
03-04-2012, 11:16 AM
NMF78

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
No it wouldn't.

I'll go ahead and say that St. John would thoroughly dominate Almaz.
And you have seen both teams play? Or is it the usual NA bias/arrogance?

Old
03-04-2012, 04:36 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF78 View Post
And you have seen both teams play? Or is it the usual NA bias/arrogance?
Lulz.

Name me one player on Almaz that will be an NHL regular.

There are probably 7 or 8 (at least) on St. John.

In fact, without looking, I'd bet there are more 1st round draft picks on St. John than in the entire MHL.

Old
03-05-2012, 01:42 AM
Zine

Quote:
Lulz.

Name me one player on Almaz that will be an NHL regular.

There are probably 7 or 8 (at least) on St. John.

In fact, without looking, I'd bet there are more 1st round draft picks on St. John than in the entire MHL.

What does the NHL draft have to do with anything?

Was last year's Russian WJC team "thoroughly dominated" because they only had 5 NHL picks on the entire roster?
This year's team only had 6....did they suck?

For numerous and obvious reasons, the NHL draft means little when discussing non-North American teams.....particularly when there's a "Russian factor" to consider.

Old
03-05-2012, 11:12 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
What does the NHL draft have to do with anything?

Was last year's Russian WJC team "thoroughly dominated" because they only had 5 NHL picks on the entire roster?
This year's team only had 6....did they suck?

For numerous and obvious reasons, the NHL draft means little when discussing non-North American teams.....particularly when there's a "Russian factor" to consider.
It's the best league in the world, with, for the most part, the best of every major hockey country in it. The NHL draft does not mean very little when evaluating junior team talent.

How many players on this year's WJC team were in the MHL? Nine of the members of the team were in the CHL. Most of the others were from the KHL.

That's what the argument is about--CHL vs. MHL.

Last edited by NobodyBeatsTheWiz: 03-05-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old
03-05-2012, 12:00 PM
NeilYoung

If a MHL team played in the CHL all those small skilled players would be worn down and crying to go back to Russia after the first week. The level of actual physicality in the WHL would deem them ineffective rather quickly and easily.

ST Johns could beat some KHL teams never mind MHL teams

Old
03-05-2012, 12:38 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilYoung View Post
If a MHL team played in the CHL all those small skilled players would be worn down and crying to go back to Russia after the first week. The level of actual physicality in the WHL would deem them ineffective rather quickly and easily.

L.O.L. you understand that KHL is a men's league, and St.Johns has all juniors, right?

Old
03-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilYoung View Post

Lol you have no idea what your talking about.

Old
03-05-2012, 02:29 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Enough about the leagues.

03-06-2012, 12:55 AM
Zine

Quote:
It's the best league in the world, with, for the most part, the best of every major hockey country in it. The NHL draft does not mean very little when evaluating junior team talent.

How many players on this year's WJC team were in the MHL? Nine of the members of the team were in the CHL. Most of the others were from the KHL.

That's what the argument is about--CHL vs. MHL.

Huh?
This year there were 6 CHLers, 5 KHLers and 11 MHL regulars. And all the KHLers (apart from Kuznetsov) spent at least some time in the MHL.

So nearly 70% of the silver winning WJC team spent at least some time in the MHL this year.

Anyhow, yes, enough about leagues......back to Kuznetsov.

Old
03-06-2012, 08:48 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Moderators: not trying to spam as I did post this link in another thread. But that thread will be obsolete soon. And the couple of posters that read it thought it was good.

Dima Talks Kuz and Other Stuff

C'mon Dima.........sell, sell, sell. LOL

Old
03-06-2012, 10:18 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
Huh?
This year there were 6 CHLers, 5 KHLers and 11 MHL regulars. And all the KHLers (apart from Kuznetsov) spent at least some time in the MHL.

So nearly 70% of the silver winning WJC team spent at least some time in the MHL this year.
I'm looking at the roster again, right now, and your numbers are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Moderators: not trying to spam as I did post this link in another thread. But that thread will be obsolete soon. And the couple of posters that read it thought it was good.

Dima Talks Kuz and Other Stuff

C'mon Dima.........sell, sell, sell. LOL
I take Kuznetsov's asking many questions of Orlov as a good sign that he's coming over.

Old
03-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

I told Greenberg (i think) on Twitter the other day i wouldn't trade Orlov ++ for Getzlaf because of Orlov being here helping Kuznetsov's decision, and Greenberg said that wasn't true.

ha...

Old
03-06-2012, 11:41 AM
NeilYoung

You can learn a lot from advance metrics and hockey. But there's a point where you also have to watch the games to. Greenbergs Tavaras rant was one of the stupidiest things I've ever seen.

I think Orlov coming over and everything going pretty well is definitely something Kuznetsov didn't mind seeing though.

I hope his team wins that KHL championship seems like that would helps things as well

Old
03-07-2012, 07:43 AM
Hockeysemin

He is playing in todays game 0-0 after first...

Old
03-09-2012, 12:55 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Interesting (old) interview from RMNB with Kuznetsov.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...de-a-decision/

Old
03-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Capsman

I guess he feels Caps fans squirming in anguish is "interesting"

Closed Thread