HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Evgeny Kuznetsov

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2012, 03:14 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Kuznetsov to AllSport (from @swhyno):
"In NHL, 1 or 2 mistakes would cost me a spot in the lineup."

Any new theories about what changed his mind?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
No, its not. Our highest skilled prospect doesn't want to be here.
That's just sad.....

Kid is ready to quit before he even arrives. Not the mindset I want from a budding young star potential guy. Really, he's worried about getting sent down before he even gets here?

That reflects so poorly on his decision making.

Old
05-04-2012, 03:17 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I'd bet pretty much any amount of money that fear of being left off the Olympic squad was the major motivation, not the fear of being benched.

What's the context of that quote anyway?

Old
05-04-2012, 03:18 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I'd bet pretty much any amount of money that fear of being left off the Olympic squad was the major motivation, not the fear of being benched.

I kinda hope he gets passed over for the the Olympics now....that'll teach him.

Old
05-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
If heartfelt, the Hershey stuff may speak toward a player that doesn't know how he's perceived or valued by the organization. Either that or he was expecting a courtship that seriously underwhelmed. Or he's just talking, as he seems to like to do. It's pretty tiresome, though his profile in Russia is understandable enough.

I agree with Raikkonen. His skill would be entertaining but at this point it would be asking a lot to expect him to be a difference maker. There's also the macro issue overall of a top-six and forward prospect pool that are overall way more finesse players than not. That has to change either by trades or an actual developmental mindset.

Old
05-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Well at least you didn't wish injury on him...

Old
05-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

I think they go hand-in-hand.

Bilyaletdinov has a hard-on for veteran players. If a young guy like Kuznetsov goes to NA and gets benched/sent to AHL/doesn't make a smooth transition, he seriously jeopardizes his olympic chances.
But by staying home he can play in all the Euro tours, learn and grow under Bilyaletdinov, etc. etc.

To me he sounds like a smart kid whose a #1 priority of making the olympic team....and he's taking the safest route to achieve that.

Old
05-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Carlzner

Funny how some of you are saying he wouldn't have helped much anyways... whatever helps you feel better about it, I guess.

Old
05-04-2012, 04:00 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
I would have liked to have seen Montana

/whip cracking

Old
05-04-2012, 04:08 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Hershey he could handle, wife likes chocolate.

The tipping point was the Norfolk talk, wife does not like seafood.

Old
05-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Dares

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Kuznetsov to AllSport (from @swhyno):
"In NHL, 1 or 2 mistakes would cost me a spot in the lineup."

Any new theories about what changed his mind?
Ha I got it !! Now i know why he decided to stay in KHL. He is friends with Orlov, chats with him on skype, etc asks him about NHL etc... Orlov does 1-2 mistakes is benched, doesnt get to play in playoffs. Kuzya finds out, doesnt like it, decides to stay in KHL.

In 2 years time you dont bench him, Kuzya benches you.

Old
05-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Kallejohansson

Well, in Europe some players, or most of them I would say, prioritizes a Olympic gold in front of the Stanley Cup. That's just the mentality. And I'm not sure Kuz would've made the transformation from Euro-style to NA-style all that easy, so for him making the OG-squad this is the safe choice for him - boring for us, though. He isn't all that physical, and if his speed and skills wouldn't been enough the first year he would've spent time in Hershey = no place in the Olympics, probably.

I don't think it's because he loves his hometown so much, or because the money, or because he's getting death threats from the president. He values the Olympics more than the Stanley Cup, which I accept. Making it to the NHL isn't the biggest dream of all hockey players, specially not in Russia.

Old
05-04-2012, 04:34 PM
txpd

i guess what can figure is that kuz had a chat with orlov and his wife had a chat with mrs nylander.

Old
05-04-2012, 05:17 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallejohansson View Post
Well, in Europe some players, or most of them I would say, prioritizes a Olympic gold in front of the Stanley Cup. That's just the mentality. And I'm not sure Kuz would've made the transformation from Euro-style to NA-style all that easy, so for him making the OG-squad this is the safe choice for him - boring for us, though. He isn't all that physical, and if his speed and skills wouldn't been enough the first year he would've spent time in Hershey = no place in the Olympics, probably.

I don't think it's because he loves his hometown so much, or because the money, or because he's getting death threats from the president. He values the Olympics more than the Stanley Cup, which I accept. Making it to the NHL isn't the biggest dream of all hockey players, specially not in Russia.
I can see that. Something like to a soccer player, which is more prestigious winning the World Cup or winning the Champions League. Win the World Cup and you are immortalized forever in your country.

Old
05-04-2012, 09:30 PM
MiSe

I know theres no agreement with KHL, but couldn't there be an agreement written into his contract, where if he gets stashed in the AHL he could go back home. Similar to Sjogren?

Not saying I like the idea, I'm not thrilled with taking Sjogren back in the first place, but if there was any communication between the GM and the kid, he could have informed him of such, which I guess is why I'm asking if its possible.

I know we're trying to leave him alone, but not even a phone call to address some concerns? This could've been a non-issue from the onset.

Or, he could just like to talk, he's definately an interesting "character" if nothing else.

Old
05-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
I'm pretty sure hes all but been given an olympic spot just to stay in the KHL. We'll see but I dont believe any other reason for staying there.

Old
05-04-2012, 10:25 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I think we get that and that's fine if he wants to take the easy road and sit home in his comfort zone. The issue is he's pissing on his future pro career in North America, especially with the backhanded comments about making one bad play and getting benched. That's a shot at the coaching staff.

A month or two in Hershey wouldn't have killed him, even though I seriously doubt he would have been sent down. A damn good portion of his future teammates spent time there adjusting. Good enough for them, not good enough for him? Just reflects poorly.

Anyway, life goes on. I'll take the McPhee approach on this one. "We want guys who want to be here."

Old
05-04-2012, 11:02 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Some serious knee jerk reactions a bit going on here. Probably expected I guess. Had a few days to let the disappointment fade... And in disappointment I mean was really looking forward to seeing over with the caps because I don't have much doubt that he's legit. For me the main uncertainty is just instead of getting NHL coaching he's getting KHL coaching which anyone must admit...is not the same. He is only 19 (turns 20 the 19th of this month, a fellow taurean like myself) so would be 22 coming over to the caps after two more years to develop. Seems pretty clear that higher end russian prospects do not want to roll at the AHL level for some understandable reasons and some

Yes there is that doubt oh he'll never come over blah blah but for me it is wasted worry trying to worry about something two years down the road. Definitely lowers asset value trade-ability wise. Mirtle's article on the the rapid decline of russian players in the NHL is worth a read.

Slightly off topic but IMHO it is much much harder to win a Stanley Cup than to win a three week tourney that just happens to occur every 4 years.

05-05-2012, 12:30 AM
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Well at least you didn't wish injury on him...
Just give it time

Old
05-05-2012, 01:26 AM
um

Quote:
teach him what?

Old
05-05-2012, 07:17 AM
Kallejohansson

Well, you say that you get it but you obviously don't. He doesn't take take the easy way, he takes the way that gives him the best chance to play in the Olympics, because I hope you have noticed he values that more than NHL. That's his mindset. Everybodys goal in life isn't to make it big in North America, many Europeans value their national team miles over NHL, specially in the Olympics. If he goes to Capitals he isn't even guaranteed to be able to leave for Sochi 2014, which would be a catastrophe for him and Russia.

He is NOT taking the easy way, he just values an Olympic gold over Stanley Cup. Get over it.

Old
05-05-2012, 07:46 AM
perklunt
qwerty

Quote:
lol and u want him to play for the fans like you right? )))

Old
05-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
He is NOT taking the easy way, he just values an Olympic gold over Stanley Cup. Get over it.
I don't think enough deference is being paid to the fact that for Russian players these Olympics are a lot more important than your average Olympics. A player of Kuznetsov's age will likely get a chance to play in 4 Olympic games. But he is never going to have the opportunity to win it at home again.

So this isn't about an Olympic gold being more important for him at this moment than the chance to win a Stanley Cup it is about the once in a lifetime opportunity to win an Olympic gold in his home country compared to what will likely be at least 15 tries to win the Cup once he comes over.

If some around here don't understand why he would make the choice he made because of that then I don't know what to tell them...

Old
05-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Carlzner

What a goal vs Latvia.

Old
05-05-2012, 03:34 PM
CatOTails

I assume he stayed in KHL not because of he had to battle for a spot here in Washington or wife told him so or he wants to play for his native team. It's sad to say but money was the key factor. Here in NHL he could become a great player and a true superstar but he choose money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post

What a goal vs Latvia.
That's the only moment of him vs Latvia. He was invisible during the game playing on a Datsyuk's wing.

Old
05-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Halpysback*

I mean, if you're gonna drag your wife to another country to make 500k after taxes vs staying in your home country to make 4 million after taxes, you're not gonna have a wife for very long. Not like he's already earned a ton of money to fall back on.

Closed Thread