HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player backgrounds as an advantage

Old
03-29-2015, 10:50 AM
BobMarleyNYR

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Player backgrounds as an advantage

Last time we played Phoenix, and yesterday Boston, looking up and down their roster, I saw quite a few European names. Whereas all the Rangers are North American, and a couple Swedes who are GROOMED to adapt their play wherever they go. And MZA, who was trained Swedish, anyhow, right?

The prototypical Swiss, Russian, Scandinavian, Czech and even Slovak systems are all very different from one-another, as we all know, more so than CHL vs. NCAA, eastern/western Canada, even USA/Canada. The players are GROOMED in systems that are different, sometimes fundamentally. What could be a commendable play on the boards in Russia could get you smacked fast in Finland, maybe suspended in NA pros.

I realize a pro athlete is a pro athlete, whether from Boise or Yakestonia (someone PLEASE get the reference...), and their games kind of become catholic and adjusted at the top level, if their good. Still, roots are roots. So again, and to add more to the question, are we diverse enough TO WIN?

Let me also say: A. OF COURSE I don't believe that's why Boston won... B. I KNOW not every player is idiosyncratic to his national style... C. Almost NO research went into this. I'm not Mr. Popularity here, but just something to consider, and I almost never start threads.

Do we have enough different backgrounds on the team to win?

Last edited by Megustaelhockey: 03-29-2015 at 11:58 AM.
BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2015, 10:51 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

North American/Swedish pedigree is just fine with me.

I happen to think Eastern European players do not properly learn the defensive side of the game.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2015, 08:07 PM
ReggieDunlop68
hey hanrahan!

I may get flamed for this, and forgive me non-North American posters, but I've never, ever heard a NHL team say we need to get more European to win.

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2015, 08:41 PM
Sirius Vivace
Rookie User

You've got to be kidding me

Sirius Vivace is offline   Reply With Quote