HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Comeau on Waivers **CLAIMED BY CALGARY**

Old
11-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post
Mitch, I agree with much of what you said. DP and Rolston would be 1 and 2 on my list to be waived with Comeau 3rd. But we all know we NEED both of the former here for cap reasons.

That said, my problem with the move is that Snow seems incapable of evaluating talent objectively. Everything about Comeau's game that pisses us off was readily apparent last year, so why not move him when his value was an all time high? Just such poor GMing.

I agree that Comeau needed to go, but a saavy GM would've turning his loss into a net gain.
I very much agree with this. And Comeau isn't the first guy who another GM likely would have gotten something for who Snow let slip away for nothing.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 08:38 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I very much agree with this. And Comeau isn't the first guy who another GM likely would have gotten something for who Snow let slip away for nothing.
take it back to the core objectives.

to save money.

Snow did the BEST job at saving money. He saved the most money. Waived the highest paid player that would get claimed. Brilliant.

Cap magician that guy.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Mitch, I agree with much of what you said. DP and Rolston would be 1 and 2 on my list to be waived with Comeau 3rd. But we all know we NEED both of the former here for cap reasons.
No you don't Rolston counts against your cap no matter what.
Unless you think some other team would claim him which makes me .

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr016 View Post
For those saying they won't spend money. Yeah, they aren't going to have a Rangers or Philadelphia sized payroll. But, how much money did Wang offer Ehroff this past summer? Martin? Michalek? Smyth? Drury? Spending money just to spend money isn't the answer. I mean, look at the names I just posted. Most of those guys were regrettable signings by their teams!

I would be a lot more concerned with our lackluster player development than our lack of success in signing UFAs.
Ehrhoff fit into the cheapass budget. After him they picked up Rolston and his 5 million and Staios and Pandolfo combined 1.4 million.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 09:18 PM
islandermike

Quote:

That said, my problem with the move is that Snow seems incapable of evaluating talent objectively. Everything about Comeau's game that pisses us off was readily apparent last year, so why not move him when his value was an all time high? Just such poor GMing.

I agree that Comeau needed to go, but a saavy GM would've turning his loss into a net gain.
Trading Comeau this offseason for a 2nd round pick or something of that ilk would have been killed here just as much as waiving him was today. We are Islander fans, jaded and abused so much so that every move is killed no matter how positive it could have been. Comeau had his best season last year, looked on his way to filling potential so it didnt make sense to move him.

islandermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 09:23 PM
NYI91

Quote:
StapeNewsday Arthur Staple
Blake Comeau's funk continues -- bad back pass leads to goal for Blues, up 2-0 on Comeau's new team, the Flames.

NYI91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 09:25 PM
islandermike

Quote:

Snow isn't a savvy GM, he is still a realitively new GM who is limited on what he can spend here. Wang is not spending money here, in fact he probably will sell at some point in the next year once all arena proposals are killed and this franchise will leave the island once the 2014-2015 season ends. This is a slow death of this franchise we are watching that began with the arena being voted down in August. There just isn't a fanbase here to support this anymore, not enough people care. We care but thats because we are the diehards, but how many of us are there really.

islandermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 09:33 PM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI91 View Post
watched some of the game. Comeau was skating hard, making some hits, looked good. Still a dumb player though, never drives the net and it's true, he did mess up on the Pietrangelo goal. He had a chance to put the puck deep or drive to the net, instead he stopped and curled, then lost the puck, got it back, made an awful pass in his own zone - then it's in the net.

Must say though, even CAL STL are far better than the Isles.

Watching Leafs-DAL, not sure how Eric Nystrom has 2 goals, 7 on the season, 1 back of Tavares. He almost had a hattrick in the 2nd. Fast game, Leafs look good, so does Dallas.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 09:41 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurthe1 View Post
Mitch,

All of this is great about Comeau but he has a brick for brains!
I'm fairly sure I've written enough about that aspect of things.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 09:48 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
watched some of the game. Comeau was skating hard, making some hits, looked good. Still a dumb player though, never drives the net and it's true, he did mess up on the Pietrangelo goal. He had a chance to put the puck deep or drive to the net, instead he stopped and curled, then lost the puck, got it back, made an awful pass in his own zone - then it's in the net.

Must say though, even CAL STL are far better than the Isles.

Watching Leafs-DAL, not sure how Eric Nystrom has 2 goals, 7 on the season, 1 back of Tavares. He almost had a hattrick in the 2nd. Fast game, Leafs look good, so does Dallas.
Yeah, just saw the highlights on "NHL On The Fly". You can hear the annoucer say "Comeau bad pass", checked the boxscore, Comeau a -1 for the night. What a surprise!

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 09:52 PM
mitchy22

Quote:

Rolston is on a 35+ deal, believe me he was #1 on my list. (As has been mentioned, his cap counts unless he's claimed. I wonder if there is a question as to whether or not you could do a move that might put you out of compliance. Then again, the lower limit is a bit questionable when it comes to circumvention during the season from what I remember.) Pandolfo was #2, not because he isn't serving a function, but because we have a really underwhelming roster (physically speaking) and he doesn't bring the attributes we're lacking.

As far as the rest is concerned, I'm completely behind anyone who feels that Comeau should have been moved in the offseason because of the flaws of his game. That said, the bigger part of the equation is what were we adding in his place.

The issue isn't really about Comeau. The issue is about why we didn't add major components to get better at any point during the rebuild. We've got Mark Streit (and who knows how much of that was scouting and how much of that was a bit of luck.)

We have nothing of "Streit quality" that was brought in on offense to help the top-6.

Our role players that we've brought in are nothing special and lacking in the qualities that would help round out our roster.

Some of the best stuff we have is from the farm and already here, but we need a major addition (or three) to push us forward. Otherwise, we've got 2-3 more years of waiting for young impact players to make their way and make a difference in what our roster looks like.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
I'm fairly sure I've written enough about that aspect of things.

Mitch

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 10:35 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Franco View Post
Let's say Blake does turn it around in Calgary. Of course by no means a sure thing, but definitely possible. Can we admit that would be an indictment against our organization for not properly being able to develop and utilize a player? There is no good reason why he can be a good player there but not here.
There are about a billion reasons psychologically why this could be the case. I think a lot of people don't understand the nuances of chemistry. Some of it is actually common sense. If you are working in a place you don't like psychologically your effort is going to be reduced. IF Comeau goes on to be a great player it could have something to do with development here but there are thousands of reasons why it could be all on Comeau. In this day and age with these guys making millions of dollars... if they can't pull it together themselves **** them.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 10:53 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
There are about a billion reasons psychologically why this could be the case. I think a lot of people don't understand the nuances of chemistry. Some of it is actually common sense. If you are working in a place you don't like psychologically your effort is going to be reduced. IF Comeau goes on to be a great player it could have something to do with development here but there are thousands of reasons why it could be all on Comeau. In this day and age with these guys making millions of dollars... if they can't pull it together themselves **** them.
And conversely, if the team is gonna suck and do nothing to improve things, WTF am I doing? Collect my check and hope to get the **** out of here. I'm sure he tried every night as all these guys have tried, but morals is huge as a problem, and there's no emotional boost, just lagging, miserable suckage.

So I'd expect Comeau to snap out of it like the entire team snapped out of it when they kicked Scott Scrotum's arse to the curb. Now?

I don't know what the issue is unless it really is the summer player turnover/loss of guts/heart/soul of the team.

"In this day and age with these guys making millions of dollars... if they can't pull it together themselves **** them."

Well, the owner cut to the chase himself and decided to **** them. Lowest payroll in the NHL, far, far below the cap floor and there's no chance from the start barring a miracle. The players probably just decided to mail it in subconsciously as no one cares if they show up. Just some psychotic fans here and there.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I think that's kind've my point. Why do players often seem to play better once they leave? Better coaching? Better teammates? No more circus like atmosphere? All of the above?

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 01:32 AM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
And conversely, if the team is gonna suck and do nothing to improve things, WTF am I doing? Collect my check and hope to get the **** out of here. I'm sure he tried every night as all these guys have tried, but morals is huge as a problem, and there's no emotional boost, just lagging, miserable suckage.

So I'd expect Comeau to snap out of it like the entire team snapped out of it when they kicked Scott Scrotum's arse to the curb. Now?

I don't know what the issue is unless it really is the summer player turnover/loss of guts/heart/soul of the team.

"In this day and age with these guys making millions of dollars... if they can't pull it together themselves **** them."

Well, the owner cut to the chase himself and decided to **** them. Lowest payroll in the NHL, far, far below the cap floor and there's no chance from the start barring a miracle. The players probably just decided to mail it in subconsciously as no one cares if they show up. Just some psychotic fans here and there.
I guess it depends on the work ethic of the individual. If you are working hard for a bad company do you stop working hard because the company isn't doing well. Some people will, some people won't. Comeau can't make the excuse that he isn't as good as people think he is because he did have a 24 goal season. So either he is inconsistent, a slacker, or doesn't care or all of the above.

There are plenty of people who have played on perennial losing teams that give the same hard effort day in and day out. Each player is different but obviously Comeau couldn't over come his environment and that makes him less valuable than a player that can.

Old
11-26-2011, 01:37 AM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Franco View Post
I think that's kind've my point. Why do players often seem to play better once they leave? Better coaching? Better teammates? No more circus like atmosphere? All of the above?
Could be all of the above, also could be none of the above. The jury is still out on Comeau because he just left but we'll see if he is even still in the NHL the next couple years. You can't say that management is the issue though. If that was the case would you say that both Florida and Vancouver have poor player development because Grabner never played for them like he does for us? Are we just better at developing Grabner to play for this team? Doesn't really make much sense that way. I would just say that some players are able to fight through adversity, play well, and not let the record, the team, the coaches, management etc.. effect their work ethic. Perhaps Comeau just can't do that and if he can't I don't think he'll be missed because we need players that can especially with this franchise.

Old
11-26-2011, 03:50 AM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Found an image of comeau....

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 07:39 AM
Nyifan12