HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comeau on Waivers **CLAIMED BY CALGARY**

Old
11-24-2011, 01:24 PM
macleod50

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post
the same kinda win-win that everyone around here pisses and moans about when we take a shot on? I actually think blake is worse.
Comeau is actually on the top of the scrap heap. There aren't too many younger players coming off 24 goal seasons in the last year of their contracts getting thrown on waivers.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:25 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

I don't know what to think anymore. This team is making me sick.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Hip Of Rick

Posting from my phone so making it short. We have 4 or 5 guys worse than Comeau who should have been waived first. Comeau is a recent 20 goal guy while we continue to role out good OLD american guys like rolston,pandolfo,and reasnor. Nino is not ready but a move like this hand him a spot. Comeau has sucked this season but we have guys who or worse making more money with a worse recent history. This was not a hockey move it was a cost cutting move by snow and wang. ****ing disgrace

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:28 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
If Blake is claimed (I know it's $2.5M, but it's a one year deal and he's young so I could see a team taking a flyer on him), what does that do to our salary cap floor circumvention strategy?
It's not going to be an issue. We're only losing about $1.8M of Comeau's salary. But even if we lost the whole $2.5M we'd be fine.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Islanders1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Posting from my phone so making it short. We have 4 or 5 guys worse than Comeau who should have been waived first. Comeau is a recent 20 goal guy while we continue to role out good OLD american guys like rolston,pandolfo,and reasnor. Nino is not ready but a move like this hand him a spot. Comeau has sucked this season but we have guys who or worse making more money with a worse recent history. This was not a hockey move it was a cost cutting move by snow and wang. ****ing disgrace
I completely agree with you that others should have been waived first. Waive Rolston and Reasoner over Comeau. Comeau has shown that he has the ability to play in this league. These old guys bring nothing to the table.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:32 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Good Post. Glad to see someone else sees how awful of a move this is. You have bums like Bailey, Reasoner, and Rolston on the team. They should have been waived first. Snow should be fired.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
I absolutely understand why the Islanders did this, and can also see why NYI fans are sick of Comeau, but I have to say I am pretty shocked by this.

41 goals in 138 games before this season. That is pretty solid production, especially for someone on a 3rd line. I would imagine this is a serious wake up call for BC. I'm kinda hoping the Jets pick him up, but doubt he falls to us.

If we do get him, we will waive Wheeler and you guys can grab him

GilliesGirlie

Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!

See Ya Blake!

Guy has been invisible thus far.

GilliesGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Knish Of The Crease

How do we all know Nino isn't ready. Sure we can send him back to Portland and he can avg. 4 pts a game and waste time. Maybe playing blindfolded will help him down there. He needs to be up here at least practicing and playing with the big boys. Comeau had numerous chances to get his head out of his ass and nothing's changed. Maybe he moves on and proves us wrong, but chances are he doesn't. Nino deserves a look in Comeaus place.

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ MAC View Post
How do we all know Nino isn't ready. Sure we can send him back to Portland and he can avg. 4 pts a game and waste time. Maybe playing blindfolded will help him down there. He needs to be up here at least practicing and playing with the big boys. Comeau had numerous chances to get his head out of his ass and nothing's changed. Maybe he moves on and proves us wrong, but chances are he doesn't. Nino deserves a look in Comeaus place.
Nino will be a better player than Comeau, I have no doubt about that.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Don't quite understand waiving a guy who should be sat or traded?

Or does Wang desire to 'save' on that contract?

And what does Snow do when more injuries start setting in.

I'd be VERY surprised if he's not picked up.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Don't quite understand waiving a guy who should be sat or traded?

Or does Wang desire to 'save' on that contract?

And what does Snow do when more injuries start setting in.

I'd be VERY surprised if he's not picked up.
If it's Niederreiter taking Comeau's spot, Wang does indeed save money with this move.

While Niederreiter's cap hit is actually higher (helps in reaching/staying at the cap floor), his actual earned salary this year is $1.6 million less than Comeau's.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:44 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

why not just sit him and see if he can rebound? We do not need more of Pandolfo and Rolston? This one is a head scratcher for me. I know Blake is not playing well this year but I do not think waiving him make the team better.

PROMputt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:47 PM
ledzep1212
COYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
why not just sit him and see if he can rebound? We do not need more of Pandolfo and Rolston? This one is a head scratcher for me. I know Blake is not playing well this year but I do not think waiving him make the team better.
At least Pandolfo does what he was brought in here to do, Blake does nothing, besides skate around the offensive zone with the puck for 30 seconds, and then shoot it into a defenders skates or the goalies crest.

ledzep1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:49 PM
On Edge

Comeau has sucked this year - however this is classic mismanagement of an asset.

If you wanted to make a statement move, I think dumping any or all of Reasoner, Pandolfo, Rolston or Motteau would do it. At least Comeau gave this team something last year and was part of the group that showed the improvement it did last half of last season. I think the addition of crapolla like Pandolfo, Rolston and Reasoner are part of the reason that Comeau (and others) have regressed.

If management thought Comeau was going to regress from last year or had "attitude" problems, they should have moved him at a peak value and included him with some other assets to pick up a solid #3/4 vet defenseman in the offseason when there was optimism about this club. Just dumb.

On Edge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
TheBoss22

Quote:
How is this a cost cutting move?

Comeau is on a 1 way contract.

Wang has to pay millions for Comeau to play at the Bridge. I'm sure he's not happy about it.

This year Comeau seems to have been playing for the other team with his turnovers at the blue line. And I think the last one which lead to a Flyers partial break away, and Staios penalty was the final straw.

Rolston and Comeau have been the two worst performers for the Isles this year.

Hopefully Comeau can find his game in Bridgeport and we can sneak him up, and replace him with Rolston sometime later this year.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Section311

As a ranger fan I'm very surprised by this. I sure snow shopped him but i just don't believe someone wasn't willing to give up something. I wouldn't mind the rangers picking him up but I doubt he falls that far. I cant see him not getting claimed

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:58 PM
Volek25

Send a message via AIM to Volek25
Again, who wants an inconsistent, no effort, no heart, 2.5 mill player that has ZERO points so far (not even a gift secondary assist), goalies have more points than you Blake? Darren Dreger (spl) reported Snow tried to get even a draft pick and nobody would bite...there's no other option, send him to the bridge, hope he clears and keep him down there were he belongs until he remembers how to play hockey in the NHL.

Who cares what he did last year, it's the present and you have contributed nothing to the team. For once, I agree with Snow on this one...would much rather bring up a kid from the bridge that is going to give it his all and appreciate the honor of playing in the NHL, not taking it for granted like Blake Comeau....

Volek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 01:59 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Not surprised bc of his play, but tbh, I'd rather have seen pandolfo/reasoner/rolston all be waived. They bring NOTHING to the table, except for useless' ridiculous cap hit.
Comeau will eventually turn a corner & put up 17-20g with a hot 2 month run in feb-march. He always does...but its too little too late

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:01 PM
gordie43

I like how this board is all over the place with this move. Hopefully the Islanders locker room is much the same. If garth did this to shake things up, it may be too late, but it shows that anyone can go $2.5 million contract or not.

Now as long as Garth follows through with the rest of the team, if guys like Reasnor or Roloston continue to not play up to par, the go the same route as Blake.

We've been down this route with Comeau year in a and year out since Ted Nolan. The guy plays terrible hockey then does just enough to get the fans off his back, and goes back to floating. I keep saying it accountability. Finally a player has been held accountable for not playing up to the standard he was paid to play for. I mean come on the guy is 0 - 0 - 0 and a -11 in 15 games! It can be said for a lot of guys but how many of us have actually noticed Blake even played 15 games?

Blake is 25 at some point he has to consistantly produce. I have not been happy with many of Snow's moves, but this is one that I think he got right. I'm sure if there was any kind of market for the guy Snow would have got a pick, but really what GM could justify dealing a pick for a guy with Blake's trackrecord?

I honestly would not be surprised if is claimed and goes on to score 20 plus for another team, but it was not going to happen here.

gordie43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:09 PM
DiPietrofan39

I am 100% ok with this move. It has everything to do with the play of Nino and Ullstrom. Both have played well and have done what Comeau cannot do. They play a physical game and Comeau does not do that anymore. I would love to get rid of Rolston or Pando as well but they are better in their own end than Comeau. They just need to play the 4th line and ill be ok with that.

DiPietrofan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:19 PM
redbull
movin'on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post
How is this a cost cutting move?

Comeau is on a 1 way contract.

Wang has to pay millions for Comeau to play at the Bridge. I'm sure he's not happy about it.

This year Comeau seems to have been playing for the other team with his turnovers at the blue line. And I think the last one which lead to a Flyers partial break away, and Staios penalty was the final straw.

Rolston and Comeau have been the two worst performers for the Isles this year.

Hopefully Comeau can find his game in Bridgeport and we can sneak him up, and replace him with Rolston sometime later this year.
he saves money if Comeau's claimed. If he's not claimed he will certainly be claimed on re-entry waivers, if that happens.

Quote:
Can't waive Rolston, need the cap hit.

Reasoner's signed for next year as well, I think he's here to stay, despite how bad he's played.

Pandolfo only makes $600k, has a nice cap hit thanks to the bonus (like Staios) so he's here to stay. Plus he's played fairly well given they found him in the garbage.

Bailey makes less money, is playing better, competing harder and signed for next year.

Comeau makes some sense...even though it's a waste of a player and won't be replaced with someone better. That's the part that irritates me. Comeau was playing bad, yes. He's gone/waived - fine. But who's replacing him on the roster? Someone better? Time will tell.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:22 PM
reporob

the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ MAC View Post
the isles are playing portland just might beat them..

reporob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:33 PM
TheBoss22

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
he saves money if Comeau's claimed. If he's not claimed he will certainly be claimed on re-entry waivers, if that happens.

Can't waive Rolston, need the cap hit.

Reasoner's signed for next year as well, I think he's here to stay, despite how bad he's played.

Pandolfo only makes $600k, has a nice cap hit thanks to the bonus (like Staios) so he's here to stay. Plus he's played fairly well given they found him in the garbage.

Bailey makes less money, is playing better, competing harder and signed for next year.

Comeau makes some sense...even though it's a waste of a player and won't be replaced with someone better. That's the part that irritates me. Comeau was playing bad, yes. He's gone/waived - fine. But who's replacing him on the roster? Someone better? Time will tell.
I guess I just can't see a team pick up a guy making millions with ZERO points, and would rather skate in wide circles rather than towards the net.

I think b/c Rolston is +35 when he signed his last contract. If he were to be sent down. The cap relieve is only $100,000 off his salary. Therefore, we still reach the floor.

Truthfully, I think Rolston played better when paired with PAP. Not saying he played good or adequate. Just better. Definitely better than Comeau!

Reasoner has to stay in his 4th line center roll to be effective. We can't ask him for anything more than that otherwise he gets exposed.

Last edited by TheBoss22: 11-24-2011 at 02:39 PM.
TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 02:43 PM
IslesFan17

Further proof this organization could care less about winning. Some things never change

IslesFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote