HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes send 13 to Lowell...including Staal!

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2004, 06:14 PM
HughJass*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Canes send 13 to Lowell...including Staal!

Forwards- Ryan Bayda, Gordie Dwyer, Colin Forbes, Chad Larose, Eric Staal, and Mike Zigomanis

defensemen -Sean Curry, Brad Fast, Danny Richmond, Allan Rourke and Bruno St. Jacques

goaltenders - Cam Ward and Rob Zepp

Staal, Richmond, Ward, & Fast at Lowell. Should be more competitive with what you guys are adding.

EDIT: Rob Zepp will probably be re-assigned to the Florida Everblades. I'm sure Sabourin & Krahn will push him out.

Last edited by HughJass*: 09-15-2004 at 06:26 PM.
Old
09-15-2004, 06:30 PM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHurricane16
Forwards- Ryan Bayda, Gordie Dwyer, Colin Forbes, Chad Larose, Eric Staal, and Mike Zigomanis

defensemen -Sean Curry, Brad Fast, Danny Richmond, Allan Rourke and Bruno St. Jacques

goaltenders - Cam Ward and Rob Zepp

Staal, Richmond, Ward, & Fast at Lowell. Should be more competitive with what you guys are adding.

EDIT: Rob Zepp will probably be re-assigned to the Florida Everblades. I'm sure Sabourin & Krahn will push him out.
I don't think Sabourin is Flames property anymore.

Old
09-15-2004, 06:32 PM
HughJass*

You are correct. I just found a link about Flames current prospects.

Yes, sir, the team should be a little more competitive this year.

Old
09-15-2004, 07:00 PM
Phanuthier*

Uhh I thought Staal couldn't play in the AHL?

It's NHL or OHL right?

Old
09-15-2004, 08:11 PM
Babachka

No for sure Staal was sent to Lowell. He said he would rather stay in north america to play. Since Staal singed a Pro contract and played a full season in the NHL, he can no longer play in the jr league! So it was Lowell or some other league! Lowell will keep WARD and most probable would be Krahn, even though I have seen Centomo and I think he would be better suited for the AHL right now, than Brent!

Plus with my understanding, anyone basically can play in the ahl now. As long as the players who need to clear waivers clear them, they are allowed to play! There is a loop hole for other "older" players, be assigned to the AHL on a conditioning stint for 2 weeks, then apon their approvel they extend their conditioning stint to what ever.... (who needs rules when there are always ways around them?)

Old
09-15-2004, 08:35 PM
HughJass*

The AHL made an exception this season.

This is an excerpt from jeffbear in another thread a couple of weeks ago :

"ALL entry contract are automatically two way deals, and thus the players still under their first contract are automatically eligible to play in the AHL during a work stoppage if they are otherwise eligible. In other words if they are not under-age at the present time. Columbus is looking to use this interpretation to allow Zherdev and possibly others to play in the A in case of a lockout ... might happen, might not ... isn't up to me.

ALL players with contracts, be they one way or two way ... with an NHL team come under the auspices of the NHLPA, and if they play in the American league then they are ALSO covered by that league's players association.

Clear as mud?

One more thing ... both the NHL and the AHL have agreed that the 50 game threshhold will not be applied this season, but they have not reaced an agreement on a replacement threshhold."

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...1&page=1&pp=15

Then, a day later, an agreement was made:

"The NHL and NHL Players' Association have resolved the issue of which NHL players can be assigned to the American Hockey League during a lockout, Carolina general manager Jim Rutherford said Tuesday, with younger players eligible to go to the AHL and older, waiver-eligible players required to clear waivers first."

http://www.newsandobserver.com/sport...-7824064c.html

Evidently, there were & are alot of waiver wire moves going on behind the scenes, also, to make sure some players would be made eligible to send to Lowell. The Canes exposed 3, and I see Jackets picked up a defenseman the Canadiens tried to clear waivers before they could assign him to Hamilton.

Last edited by HughJass*: 09-15-2004 at 08:42 PM.
Old
09-15-2004, 09:10 PM
kolanos

Flames players headed to Lowell include:

Thomas Bellemare (RW)
Sebastien Centomo (G)
Deryk Engelland (D)
Brennan Evans (D)
Carsen Germyn (RW)
Mark Giordano (D)
Davin Heintz (LW)
Dustin Johner (C)
Brent Krahn (G)
Darren Lynch (RW)
Patrik Nilson (C)
Davis Parley (G)
Ritchie Regehr (D)
Justin Taylor (LW)

Plenty of size and grit headed to Lowell. Johner, Lynch, and Germyn are all very skilled forwards and should challenge for top-six duty. Bellemare is an enforcer in the making. On defense, Giordano and Regehr will add some offense and a contribute to a transition game. Taylor, Nilson and Heintz should all find roles as gritty role players. Taylor and Heintz add a lot of size upfront, both are 6'4" 200lbs+.

Krahn is likely to be the guy to split the minutes between the pipes with whichever Canes goalie earns a job. Centomo could challenge, but will likely have to share duty in Vegas with Parley (if not be loaned to another team).

Old
09-15-2004, 09:16 PM
HughJass*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanos
Krahn is likely to be the guy to split the minutes between the pipes with whichever Canes goalie earns a job.
It will be Cam Ward. And no disrespect to Krahn but I think he will probably only see action in about 35-30 games this season.

Old
09-15-2004, 09:23 PM
kolanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHurricane16
It will be Cam Ward. And no disrespect to Krahn but I think he will probably only see action in about 35-30 games this season.
I think Krahn may surprise. He did have a .924SV% last season in Lowell and had the best GAA. It was only seven games, but if he can maintain something close to that he may be the best option. Nothing against Cam Ward, who has played very well in Red Deer, but Krahn could outperform him next season.

Old
09-15-2004, 10:00 PM
starwalker

Wasn't ther some talk of Chuck Kobasew & Matt Lombardi playing in Lowell also?

Old
09-15-2004, 11:32 PM
Super-Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker
Wasn't ther some talk of Chuck Kobasew & Matt Lombardi playing in Lowell also?
Yes, I believe they were sent down, they disappeared on NHLPA.com, so chances are they're in the minors.

Old
09-16-2004, 07:10 AM
Babachka

I saw Brent play in lowell... and well if he hasnt improved, I wont be impressed. (2 wins and 3 losses) I have also seen Sebastien, and from my knowledge of him, I would say hes better suited for the AHL right now (this is if Brent hasnt improved from when I saw him last season)
These players I see staying in lowell..... (I dont know of them all though, so I may be totally wrong, but these are the players I have seen, or know about)
Sebastien Centomo (G) (played 39 games with St. John's 13w, 17l, 3.15gaa, .904sv)
Deryk Engelland (D) (played 26 games in lowell +1)
Brennan Evans (D) (played 64 games in lowell +13 10 points)
Carsen Germyn (RW) (played 77 games in norfolk -9, 27 points, 107 pim)
Patrik Nilson (C)
Ritchie Regehr (D)
Also I would think Commy is going to be heading south to Lowell
WOO HOO as well as LOYNS!!!!! This is great news for HIM as well as the fans!

Last edited by Babachka: 09-16-2004 at 07:22 AM.
Old
09-16-2004, 11:31 AM
Super-Rye

Krahn actually had a fairly good camp, played outstanding against the Oilers prospects, however, I haven't seen him enough in the past few years to make an accurate judgement on how he improved. All I know is he didn't screw up his knee in that prospects game.

Old
09-16-2004, 12:27 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babachka
Also I would think Commy is going to be heading south to Lowell
I don't think Commodore will be heading down. He's on a one-way and I don't think Sutter would risk waiving him at any rate. But yeah, we're certainly not going to pay him an NHL salary to play in the minors. For that reason Commodore, Montador and Ritchie won't be in Lowell.

Old
09-16-2004, 12:30 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
Uhh I thought Staal couldn't play in the AHL?

It's NHL or OHL right?
Nope, he's old enough to go to the AHL this season. He turns 20 before the end of the year.

Old
09-16-2004, 01:40 PM
kolanos

Quote:
I saw Brent play in lowell... and well if he hasnt improved, I wont be impressed. (2 wins and 3 losses) I have also seen Sebastien, and from my knowledge of him, I would say hes better suited for the AHL right now (this is if Brent hasnt improved from when I saw him last season)
If the team can't win with a goalie posting a .924SV% it's not the goaltenders fault. But there wasn't a goalie in Loweall last season that wasn't below .500.

Old
09-22-2004, 01:24 PM
Hunter74

Oh well I am glad the Canes are sending some good players to Lowell. Just makes the seaon for Kobasew and Lombardi alittle more meaningfull if htey get to play wiht a talent like Stall. I dont like that the Canes are sending that bum Forbes down to Lowell as I like younger players developeing on the club, ohwell some veteran presense doens't hurt.

I hope the teams D is pretty good this year, looks liek it might be pretty solid depending on how some of the young guys from the Flames handle the adjustment to the pro game. Its good that the Canes have a coupel solid AHL vets there on the club.

I think the Lowell team this year should be pretty good IMO.

As for the goaltending duties. IM sure Krahn and Ward will split time almost dead even until the playoffs role around. then it will be who's been playing better. I dont think Centomo is gonna be in Lowell as Krahn needs the comptetition in order to develope. Look for Centomo in the ECHL or the AHL if Krahn faulters.

Old
09-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Babachka

As far as the goaltending duty goes... at the begining of the season, they will split, but after that, who ever plays best will have the #1 spot! They WILL get the most time, as this coach is all about who deserves it and earned it!! Not about whats "fair" amoung two teams.... I have seen this guy ast. coach and fill in coach for going on 4 yrs. So its going to be all about who works the hardest, which should be good news... but who knows! It worked out great last season till both NHL teams started pulling players. (such is life in the A)

Old
09-22-2004, 10:12 PM
Hunter74

Quote:
As far as the goaltending duty goes... at the begining of the season, they will split, but after that, who ever plays best will have the #1 spot! They WILL get the most time, as this coach is all about who deserves it and earned it!! Not about whats "fair" amoung two teams.... I have seen this guy ast. coach and fill in coach for going on 4 yrs. So its going to be all about who works the hardest, which should be good news... but who knows! It worked out great last season till both NHL teams started pulling players. (such is life in the A)

Last year was pretty simple for hte coach's though b/c Sabourin obviously wasn't up to par and he wasn't part of the Flames future plans. But this year is gonna be different as the Flames are gonna want Krahn or Centomo to get at least 30 games this year b/c if they dont it will hurt there developement. So there may be a #1 guy but its not like he's gonna be playing 60games out of 80 this year. Not sure the coach has the power to really pull off the who deserves it most in regards to the goaltending.

But then again who knows.

Old
09-23-2004, 07:18 AM
Babachka

Not that this totaly matters, but the coach is also the GM of the team.

Old
09-25-2004, 06:41 PM
Hunter74

Quote:
Not that this totaly matters, but the coach is also the GM of the team.
So do you think b/c the coach is also the GM that he woudl have more ability to fend off the imput form the Hurricans and Flames camps. Of courset ehre s gonna some pressure on him to play the clubs mre prominant prospect more than other prospects on the team. From what I have read and heard about this guy is that he really is about who is playing best and who is workign the hardes tin practice and dureing games.

Hopefully its about who is playing well and not about politics and crap like that which I feel creeps to much into sports.

I wonder if kobasew is gonna be playing with Lombardi or Staal all year??

Man its gonna be a deep team. Shoudl be a real good experience for these young kids to be fighting tooth and nail for playing time all year as theres always gonna be someone who wants there minutes.

Old
09-25-2004, 07:02 PM
Babachka

I'm sry, what I ment by that statement was that the coach absolutly will have the power to say whos the #1 in net. I stated above that "I have seen this guy ast. coach and fill in coach for going on 4 yrs. So its going to be all about who works the hardest" Hes def all about who earns their keep, and if the Flame goalie does, then hes #1, if Ward does, then hes #1. It was really nice last season, there was basically NO division lines between players at all, I think it was drilled into them enough that they are a TEAM in Lowell, it doesnt matter who they play for outta Lowell.

Coach Rowe is gonna be REAL hard on these guys, and he wont be making any friends, but hes a good coach, and he knows what hes doing!

Closed Thread