HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Three questions to ask aloud

Old
11-25-2011, 07:25 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

vCash: 500
Three questions to ask aloud

The initial slump is over and the team has 'normalized' slightly. Injuries are still a concern with Markov, Kostitsyn, Spacek, White, Campoli, Engqvist, Nash and Gomez injured (in order of importance to the team) but the playoff picture only gets tighter day-by-day and the upcoming games are not getting any easier so we can't sit idly around crying about injuries.

1. Are you happy with the team (incl. coaching staff) why/why not?
2. Do you think they're going to make the playoffs and if so, how far would they or can they go?
3. Should Gauthier make a move now or wait it out a bit, and what move?

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Young Gun

No...teams needs new direction

2. Do you think they're going to make the playoffs and if so, how far would they or can they go?

No unless they start scoring on the pp

Now and get someone with size that can drop the gloves make it harder to play against this team.

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 07:48 PM
missthenet

please no more trading young guys. We are going no where with this bunch our only hope is our young guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post

No...teams needs new direction

No unless they start scoring on the pp

Now and get someone with size that can drop the gloves make it harder to play against this team.

missthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 07:52 PM
HeShootsHeScores

1. I was really happy with JM the last 2 years. He builded a team of veteran leadership. This year, he really seems lost in some of the decisions he takes and I think he should get fired because the way he coaches doesn't fit the team anymore.

2. I think they are gonna make the playoffs because the habs always finds a way to sneak in. Will it be because Markov will give this team new wings? Maybe a trade?

3. I wish he makes a move ASAP but I think he won't and he will wait to see how the team handles itself with no79 in the line-up.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 07:54 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50

NO. Coaching staff and Management is completley wrong for the players we have in this lineup.

Yes first round exit

Can he fire himself and JM if so make that move now.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Habsbullet

Gomez can be useful at times, I wouldn't put him that low.

Habsbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 08:02 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
1. No. Too many players playing below expectations. Too small up front. Defense gets a bit of a pass due to the injury situation. Goaltending has been fine. Not a fan of either our coach or GM, but i have more issues with the GM at this point.

2. 50/50. I could see it going either way. We need to get healthier on the back end. Markov will be back soon but how effective will he be?

3. Tough call. The big move is to get rid of Gomez, but i'm not sure that really does anything for us this season. We need a center with decent size who can play on a top 2 line. I'd look at Columbus...either Antoine Vermette or Derrick Brassard could be of some use to us assuming they could be acquired for a reasonable price.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Jigger77

We need an NHL defense.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Xia

Not really, but it's hard to tell when there's so many injuries. Markov's another thing, but I really liked how Campoli played in the pre season and to see him go down so early is just painful. Coaching staff is weird, I'm more upset with the way the team's been managed, I can only say that from a fan's point of view though. The Gomez ordeal is painful, as is Markov's contract extension.

Nope, but it's a bit too early for that - hopefully they can find a way to turn things around.

The better question is, "Should Gauthier be managing this team anymore?" - the answer is no. Bottom line, I don't want Gauthier making any moves, I want Molson to be making moves.

Xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xia View Post
Not really, but it's hard to tell when there's so many injuries. Markov's another thing, but I really liked how Campoli played in the pre season and to see him go down so early is just painful. Coaching staff is weird, I'm more upset with the way the team's been managed, I can only say that from a fan's point of view though. The Gomez ordeal is painful, as is Markov's contract extension.

Nope, but it's a bit too early for that - hopefully they can find a way to turn things around.

The better question is, "Should Gauthier be managing this team anymore?" - the answer is no. Bottom line, I don't want Gauthier making any moves, I want Molson to be making moves.
You my friend I agree with and was going to post the exact same thing. Gauthier should not be allowed to trade a player without Molson agreeing as of now

Will we make the playoffs, as of now no but it's still a long season. If we do it's stops at round 1

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Tricolore#20

Not happy, but honestly not surprised. Injuries are a big excuse for most teams, but we have had significant players miss games this year. I actually like Jacques Martin, and I believe that once we have our full lineup, we will be a hard team to play against. Martin has proven that over the last two years. We have proven Stanley Cup winners that elevate their game when it matters. The difficulty at the moment is that Gauthier has assembled a team with very little depth, and injuries hurt us more than they should.

I still believe the Canadiens will make the playoffs. We are a middling club right now, but even in the games we lose, I still seem some redeeming elements. Guys like Gionta, Plekanec and Gorges fight back no matter the score, and I think it's a quality that we've seen in this team during Martin's tenure. So long as we don't fall too far as we wait for players to heal up, I think we have a good enough roster to make the playoffs. We have three good offensive lines, and a good group of defensemen when everyone's healthy. Plus, we have one of the top 5 netminders in the league.

I would wait it out. No reason to make a knee jerk reaction right now.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Miller Time

1- No
Team, even accounting for injured players, is still a long ways from being a contender. I don't like the make-up of our veteran precense (all overpaid except pleks), but do like our young talent.

2- with a goalie like price + defensive coach like JM, there's always a chance. Markov, if healthy, should help us climb back into the bottom-4 PO running... But the bigger we dig the hole, the smaller the chance is.

3- outside of waiver pick-ups, or Nokelainen type deals, ABSOLUTELY not. Only moved he should be making are ones with positive long term implications... No more pics or younger players for immediate help, time to have a serious plan to build a winner, not just dwell in the same mediocrity we've been mired in for over a decade

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Kriss E

1- No. But that's because of our injuries. Otherwise I think our team has played well considering them.

2- Yes, and how far can we go..how many thought the Bruins would win it last season?

3- Unless it's to improve the team for more than just a year, then perhaps. It all depends on the deal.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 11:54 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
The initial slump is over and the team has 'normalized' slightly. Injuries are still a concern with Markov, Kostitsyn, Spacek, White, Campoli, Engqvist, Nash and Gomez injured (in order of importance to the team) but the playoff picture only gets tighter day-by-day and the upcoming games are not getting any easier so we can't sit idly around crying about injuries.

I can answer all 3 questions with one statement:

Fire Martin soon or no playoffs.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 12:13 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:

in a nutshell

1. I'm happy with the team considering injuries I think we are doing fairly decent for having a rookie defense. Coaching staff wise i think they could do a way better job as JM seems to be stubborn in his way and not changing much such as the PP.

2. I think they will make the playoffs and when they do I think the sky is the limit. Any team can get hot when the playoffs start. Its a new season and crazy things can happen. This team has showed that we can beat top teams and I think we can still do that.

3. I think PG should wait until markov spacek and Ak are back so we can get a REAL look at the team. Those 3 guys alone are a great improvement to the team and could bring this team together for a major turn around.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 01:14 AM
lou4gehrig

Same mediocre team as every other year with no real chance to win the cup.

The only way to win in the NHL is to build with elite level talent. If you don't have any, consolidate and trade your "leadership" veterans for some elite talent. We have some decent young players with Price possibly being elite. We need more. Time to stop signing veteran free agents as if we're one piece away from a cup. Until we get a franchise forward, we're not winning any cup.

I hate to say it, but Toronto has built more than we have. At least they have the leading scorer in the NHL. Philly has reloaded and will be tough for many years. Boston has Seguin. Time to blow some team away and maybe land a player like Malkin or somebody we can build around.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 01:50 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
1- No. But that's because of our injuries. Otherwise I think our team has played well considering them.

2- Yes, and how far can we go..how many thought the Bruins would win it last season?

3- Unless it's to improve the team for more than just a year, then perhaps. It all depends on the deal.

quite a few actually

1-not happy never will be happy as long as martin is behind the bench
2-nope, isee us falling short. If martin is fired before mid season then yes
3-he should move gomez to the ahl, fire martin. If white wont be back for awhile get some more grit to play with noki

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 03:10 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

bottom line, where heading for this .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=wCk3-RVMy4E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKxQ9...eature=related

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 03:10 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
You my friend I agree with and was going to post the exact same thing. Gauthier should not be allowed to trade a player without Molson agreeing as of now

Will we make the playoffs, as of now no but it's still a long season. If we do it's stops at round 1
Why's that, missing Trotter already ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 04:47 AM
zzoo

Ask those questions when we win tonight, and the next game too.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 05:40 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Ask those questions when we win tonight, and the next game too.
You sound pretty sure of yourself. I've got a feeling tonight's game will be a total blowout.

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 06:09 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
1. Team is plagued with injuries, so it's quite hard to tell how strong this team really is. Having said that, I'm frustrated with this team. It's inconsistent, injury prone, lacks an elite scorer and plays oh so soft. The power play, which was our forte the last couple of years, is sinking to the bottom of the rankings. I won't blame the youngsters, as Jacques Martin at times does, but the veterans on this team, especially Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri. Those three have been piss poor, to say the least, so far. And as much as I want to blame Jacques Martin for our start, the core players on this team are simply not as good as the ones in Chicago, Pittsburgh or Vancouver, and the team is fairly young and lacking experience. When Gorges is leading your D in points, there's a problem somewhere!

2. Nope, I do not think so. They haven't showed enough consistency and 'heart' lately. We've got so many inexperienced players (first or second year), and injuries will keep on hampering our chances. I'll be happy enough if I see some improvement in our young D and in a couple of our 1st and 2nd year forwards (Pacioretty, Desharnais, Eller).

3. No move for now. If we're out of a playoff spot by trade deadline, trade away a veteran or two, for young players or picks. DO NOT make a desperate trade to try and make the playoffs. I'm ready to be patient and I'm ready for a star/elite young forward to be drafted by our team. We need one.

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 06:10 AM
Lafleurs Guy

1. The team is what it is... a mediocre bubble team. This club isn't good enough to win a cup even with Price.
2. Yes, I think we'll still make the playoffs. We're better than what we've seen so far.
3. I pray to God we don't do anymore patchwork fix type trades. It will never happen but we should rebuild this club around our younger players and actually try to build a winner.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 07:14 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
1. Team is plagued with injuries, so it's quite hard to tell how strong this team really is. Having said that, I'm frustrated with this team. It's inconsistent, injury prone, lacks an elite scorer and plays oh so soft. The power play, which was our forte the last couple of years, is sinking to the bottom of the rankings. I won't blame the youngsters, as Jacques Martin at times does, but the veterans on this team, especially Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri. Those three have been piss poor, to say the least, so far. And as much as I want to blame Jacques Martin for our start, the core players on this team are simply not as good as the ones in Chicago, Pittsburgh or Vancouver, and the team is fairly young and lacking experience. When Gorges is leading your D in points, there's a problem somewhere!

2. Nope, I do not think so. They haven't showed enough consistency and 'heart' lately. We've got so many inexperienced players (first or second year), and injuries will keep on hampering our chances. I'll be happy enough if I see some improvement in our young D and in a couple of our 1st and 2nd year forwards (Pacioretty, Desharnais, Eller).

3. No move for now. If we're out of a playoff spot by trade deadline, trade away a veteran or two, for young players or picks. DO NOT make a desperate trade to try and make the playoffs. I'm ready to be patient and I'm ready for a star/elite young forward to be drafted by our team. We need one.
for how long ?
how many games of a losing team (not a bubble team or a 10/11th pos team, a really bad one) will you watch ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 07:16 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsbullet View Post
Gomez can be useful at times, I wouldn't put him that low.
I can't remember when Gomez was useful. Remind me.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote