HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zack Kassian... "Zack Friday"

Old
11-24-2011, 08:39 PM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
How's Kassian's compete level been in Rochester? I've read that he often looked uninterested and wasn't working hard in juniors. I hope that's not the norm for him as a pro.
Well, he looked disinterested last season after the World Juniors, but he has rebounded nicely in Rochester.
Every game I've seen him play so far this season, he's shown well.
I've been pleasantly surprised at how he's handled being put into a primary scoring role.

It will be hilarious to see how Mike Harrington reacts to this.
He's been *****ing for weeks now about how he hasn't been hitting in Rochester and thus would never receive a call up and even blocks people who try to argue with him about it.
Maybe he'll just resort to insulting fans again or go on a rant about how people should buy more newspapers.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

DAMN, wish he'd been up here for the Boston game.

So psyched to watch him play!

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:34 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Well, he looked disinterested last season after the World Juniors, but he has rebounded nicely in Rochester.
Every game I've seen him play so far this season, he's shown well.
I've been pleasantly surprised at how he's handled being put into a primary scoring role.

It will be hilarious to see how Mike Harrington reacts to this.
He's been *****ing for weeks now about how he hasn't been hitting in Rochester and thus would never receive a call up and even blocks people who try to argue with him about it.
Maybe he'll just resort to insulting fans again or go on a rant about how people should buy more newspapers.
Mike is right, he hasn't been physical down here in Rochester.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:42 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
DAMN, wish he'd been up here for the Boston game.

So psyched to watch him play!
That was my initial thought too, but you don't want to throw a kid to the wolves like that in his first game. Hopefully he'll do enough to stick and the next time we play Boston he'll be able to take on Lucic. He's exactly what we need in the line-up right now.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:45 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Before everyone jumps on the Kassian physical hard nose work ethic, take a look at the ISO cam's I did on November 16th. Good player, yes. His playing style in transition, even more so:

http://youtube.com/nudave2008

Old
11-24-2011, 09:47 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
That was my initial thought too, but you don't want to throw a kid to the wolves like that in his first game. Hopefully he'll do enough to stick and the next time we play Boston he'll be able to take on Lucic. He's exactly what we need in the line-up right now.
Got news for ya, he wouldn't stand a chance against Lucic. Maybe next season.

Old
11-24-2011, 10:00 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProngersEyeball View Post
Yeah, but the "not getting a recall" part he will never eat crow on.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:02 PM
jfb392

Quote:
I'm aware of that, but that isn't really a reason to not call him up.
None of us are aware of what he's been told to accomplish while in Rochester, including Mike, so constantly using the not hitting excuse is stupid.

He's been a difference maker offensively, hasn't gotten into trouble, and has been pretty consistent for a first year pro.
Those three things were definitely question marks coming into the season, but he has cleared up those doubts so far.
Rewarding him with a cup of coffee is a smart idea.

Old
11-24-2011, 10:04 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Got news for ya, he wouldn't stand a chance against Lucic. Maybe next season.
The funny part about the "Kassian myth" is no matter how many facts, videos, or educated opinion you or Jfb has, there will still be a few Sabres fans with fingers in their ears and think the opposite. Convincing themselves that Kassian WILL be the Sabres savior and token tough guy.

Thanks for the educated insight into Rochester. You and Jfb have a much appreciated pulse on the Amerks.

ZZamboni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:25 PM
DixonWard15

Quote:
I think that is mostly coaching, he doesn't even try to finish his checks but he has good body positioning in front of the net. I think they are trying to get him to focus on his scoring touch but who knows what they will ask out of him as a 3rd/4th line callup

DixonWard15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:39 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
The funny part about the "Kassian myth" is no matter how many facts, videos, or educated opinion you or Jfb has, there will still be a few Sabres fans with fingers in their ears and think the opposite. Convincing themselves that Kassian WILL be the Sabres savior and token tough guy.

Thanks for the educated insight into Rochester. You and Jfb have a much appreciated pulse on the Amerks.
Well, don't take what I've been saying the wrong way.

I think that Kassian can become someone that would be capable of playing like Lucic and also dropping them with him, but he isn't ready to just yet.
He was drafted to be a "savior", as he's the type of player we've been lacking for awhile, and is still very capable of fulfilling that role.

Expecting him to be that player right now though is just going to lead to disappointment.
He's a power forward, which means that he is likely to progress a bit slower than his peers that are purely skilled forwards, as his game relies on something that changes dramatically once you make the jump to the professional ranks (physicality).
He seems to have progressed mentally though, which was a big question with him.

I'm sure he'd probably drop them with just about anyone in the league even though he's only 20, as he seems to be one of those players that has a screw loose and will take on anyone (you can just tell from the look he gets in his eyes sometimes), but he probably wouldn't stand a chance just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
I think that is mostly coaching, he doesn't even try to finish his checks but he has good body positioning in front of the net. I think they are trying to get him to focus on his scoring touch but who knows what they will ask out of him as a 3rd/4th line callup
This is exactly what I believe/hope is the case.
It's a really positive sign if he has been told to hold back and has successfully accomplished that, IMO.
While many think that it's neutering him, he has to learn to control and harness his anger.

Old
11-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Interactif

Peculiar this didn't happen for the Boston game, wonder why now? Pegula audible or Ruff/Regier got tired of having almost zero team toughness on the Sabres, are they showcasing him? From what I read he wasn't really going all out in Rochester. Still I like this move for Buffalo, you guys should be excited.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:49 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Glad to see him get tapped for this recall. He's shown he can be a good soldier and follow directions in Rochester. What remains to be seen is if they take the wraps off a bit as he'll be likely used in more of an energy role and less as the primary scorer and PP guy.

11-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Peculiar this didn't happen for the Boston game, wonder why now? Pegula audible or Ruff/Regier got tired of having almost zero team toughness on the Sabres, are they showcasing him? From what I read he wasn't really going all out in Rochester. Still I like this move for Buffalo, you guys should be excited.
Boyes got hurt in the Boston game and Kaleta couldn't go due to a LBI. This is them having to reach farther down into the farm for a body. It also allows them to give him a reward recall due to how he's played with the Amerks and give him a taste of what it takes at this level. Putting him into the Bruins game would have sent a couple of mixed messages -- namely that he has to pick up after the supposedly grown men who put the team into the position they did with the Miller situation and to the team that someone else is coming to bail their poggybait tails out since they can't man up for themselves.

He's not a showcase, he's here because they're missing Ennis, McCormick, Boyes, and Kaleta up front and have already taken Tropp, Adam and Ellis out of what was thought to be the Amerks depth chart at the start of the year. They simply need an extra forward.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Boyes got hurt in the Boston game and Kaleta couldn't go due to a LBI. This is them having to reach farther down into the farm for a body. It also allows them to give him a reward recall due to how he's played with the Amerks and give him a taste of what it takes at this level. Putting him into the Bruins game would have sent a couple of mixed messages -- namely that he has to pick up after the supposedly grown men who put the team into the position they did with the Miller situation and to the team that someone else is coming to bail their poggybait tails out since they can't man up for themselves.

He's not a showcase, he's here because they're missing Ennis, McCormick, Boyes, and Kaleta up front and have already taken Tropp, Adam and Ellis out of what was thought to be the Amerks depth chart at the start of the year. They simply need an extra forward.
This makes sense, thanks for the update.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 11:29 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Terry Pegula is not involving himself in any day to day player moves. Please don't even insinuate this.

On the call up, I didn't expect it, but let's see how it goes. Hopefully this will shut up the folks that are whining about him 'not getting a chance', or are expecting him to ride into town on a white unicorn carrying rainbows and glitter.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 12:06 AM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I'm aware of that, but that isn't really a reason to not call him up.
None of us are aware of what he's been told to accomplish while in Rochester, including Mike, so constantly using the not hitting excuse is stupid.

He's been a difference maker offensively, hasn't gotten into trouble, and has been pretty consistent for a first year pro.
Those three things were definitely question marks coming into the season, but he has cleared up those doubts so far.
Rewarding him with a cup of coffee is a smart idea.
Very well said.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 12:08 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Terry Pegula is not involving himself in any day to day player moves. Please don't even insinuate this.

On the call up, I didn't expect it, but let's see how it goes. Hopefully this will shut up the folks that are whining about him 'not getting a chance', or are expecting him to ride into town on a white unicorn carrying rainbows and glitter.
I don't think people expect unicorns and glitter. They expect Patton atop a Sherman, smudged with diesel soot and holding the scalps of his enemies....

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 01:00 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Woohoo excited to see him play!

Hopefully he gets some minutes with the scorers, maybe notches up a point, maybe gets a big hiiiiiiitttt....!

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 01:56 AM
Bosswally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post

i agree with this, im a Kassian fan(have been since we drafted him) but im controlling myself and thinking hopefully he will be up for a few games and plays solidly but not out of his mind good(better than he actually is atm) where it makes it a tough decision on whether to send him back to rochester to age. But life doesnt work like that and hes probably gonna get a gordie howe hat trick his first game just to get my hopes up and than have them come crashing down when he goes back to normal(normal being a young power forward with potential but not ready for the big leagues quite yet)

Bosswally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 06:07 AM
HiddenInLight

Good for him. I hope he does well, and Id like to see him steamroll ovechkin (though I doubt they will be on the ice at the same time)

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 06:48 AM
slip

Quote:
I don't think people expect unicorns and glitter. They expect Patton atop a Sherman, smudged with diesel soot and holding the scalps of his enemies....
Most definitely this.

Hopefully Zach makes it impossible for the team to send him back down to Rochester. We could really use a serious injection of something. Hopefully he brings that something.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 06:57 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
How's Kassian's compete level been in Rochester? I've read that he often looked uninterested and wasn't working hard in juniors. I hope that's not the norm for him as a pro.
Kassian has been focusing on trying to be more Thomas Vanek or Tomas Holmstrom than Milan Lucic so far in his time with the Sabres.

So, people that expect him to drop the mitts once or twice a game and to run around blowing guys up ala Patrick Kaleta likely haven't liked what they've seen.

But, it appears obvious that Professor Rolston and the Sabres organization have wanted Kassian to focus on being offensively productive and he's done that to the tune of tied for the team lead with 7 goals and the team lead with 14 pts. His +2 is pretty good for a rookie pro, as well.

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 06:59 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Glad to see him get tapped for this recall. He's shown he can be a good soldier and follow directions in Rochester. What remains to be seen is if they take the wraps off a bit as he'll be likely used in more of an energy role and less as the primary scorer and PP guy.
This will be the key.

Personally, I believe it will be far easier to go from a Holmstrom role to a Kaleta role than vice versa.

Now will Ruff unleash the beast?

Or in Pegula terms, will the handcuffs be removed from Kassian?

WhoIsJimBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 07:29 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

I would like to see BZK with Gerbe and Gaustad. Let those 2 play their usual high energy, defensively responsible games and allow Zach to get a feel of everything. Seems everyone that has played with them has played well so far this season so its a no brainer IMO. I have a feeling he gets on the score sheet tonight...

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote