HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Caps two first rounders.

Old
11-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
Ordinarily, the Capitals' own pick would most likely be offered around at the trade deadline, but this year there isn't going to be much cap space to add rentals. Whatever their confidence level, they may be standing pat. Poti to LTIR for the season basically eliminates their ability to add salary, even in late February.

As for the Avalanche pick, as long as Colorado is skidding in the standings, that pick is simply not going to be on the trade market.

The Caps can't trade futures for salary right now, and it might be impossible at the trade deadline too.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:12 PM

Really can't see the Caps moving Colorado's pick (a shot at Yakupov) with the potential reality of Semin leaving at seasons end. In addition to that, I also find it hard to see Orlov, Eakin and more so Kuznetsov being traded. They have plenty of other worthwhile prospects and their own 1st round pick to work with.

Assuming Ovechkin returns to form, Green becomes healthy and the goal-tending remains consistent, there 'shouldn't' be much tweaking needed. With that said, I wouldn't mind seeing them trade Schultz + for a more consistent top 4 d-man.

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:26 PM
David Tanabe

Would something based around Ruutu and/or Gleason for Washington's first and a salary dump work out? We'll even throw in Maurice if you need a coach! No charge!

David Tanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:47 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
Two things you need to address. Cap space and what are your team needs.
We need a stud defenseman, but so does every other team. I'm sure salary cap moves would be made prior.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 09:49 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tanabe View Post
Would something based around Ruutu and/or Gleason for Washington's first and a salary dump work out? We'll even throw in Maurice if you need a coach! No charge!
You are very generous to offer Gleason for our 1st rounder.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Does that package really strike you as putting the Caps, or any other team for that matter, over the top?

It's not bad, certainly, but it really depends on the position of Colorado in the standings in late February. I guess that another way of putting it is that if that Avalanche pick is looking great in the Spring, then it's not going to be dealt for anything, much like the rights to Kuznetsov won't be on the market, even though the Caps are considered contenders.

Even contenders deem some of their futures to be off limits. It's highly unlikely they deal Kuznetsov or the Colorado pick if the Avalanche are slumping late in the season.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:20 PM
dan1el

Speaking as a sens fan, this is probably Alfie's last year, and I want him to win a cup, and there a slim chance he does it in Ottawa.
So:
Col 1st for Alfie, Kuba, Gonchar.
Washington gets 2 veteran, puck moving 1-2 season rentals, plus a long term top-4 d-man.

Then,
Was 1st to Col for Paul Stastny.

Washington gets a promising puck moving center to feed Semin. Alfie plays the other wing. Kuba and Gonchar offer solidity behind that number one pair. Stastny provides a Power play upgrade, plus Semin and Alfredsson on the second PP unit isn't exactly bad.

Of course, this is assuming Alfie is healthy, and Washington gets magical cap space.

dan1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Capathetic

Wash 1st,col 1st + salary dump for Bobby Ryan.

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Avs44

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
Speaking as a sens fan, this is probably Alfie's last year, and I want him to win a cup, and there a slim chance he does it in Ottawa.
So:
Washington gets 2 veteran, puck moving 1-2 season rentals, plus a long term top-4 d-man.

Then,

Washington gets a promising puck
moving center to feed Semin. Alfie
plays the other wing. Kuba and Gonchar offer solidity behind that number one pair. Stastny provides
a Power play upgrade, plus Semin and Alfredsson on the second PP unit isn't exactly bad.

Of course, this is assuming Alfie is healthy, and Washington gets magical cap space.
I can't stop laughing.
Ottawa gets our 1st rounder for Alfie and we get Washingtons 1st rounder for Stastny? Is this your
attempt at a joke or something?Wow.

Edit: just to let you know, this is easily the worst offer for Stastny I've ever seen. I find this insulting. What about Caps 1st for Spezza? Screw your own team, not ours.

Last edited by Avs44: 11-24-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 11:33 PM
contour

I'll give you Sidney Crosby's stache at the end of Movember. It'll be the only one that grew.

contour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 11:33 PM
PAZ

Quote:
So:

Then,

Washington gets a promising puck moving center to feed Semin. Alfie plays the other wing. Kuba and Gonchar offer solidity behind that number one pair. Stastny provides a Power play upgrade, plus Semin and Alfredsson on the second PP unit isn't exactly bad.

Every GM would be on the phone if thats all Sherman was asking for Stastny.

Also, please don't make anymore proposals at all, it's absolutely horrendous in every way. Cap space, value wise (both market and team value).

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 11:35 PM
Avs44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstriker045 View Post
Every GM would be on the phone if thats all Sherman was asking for Stastny.

Also, please don't make anymore proposals at all, it's absolutely horrendous in every way. Cap space, value wise (both market and team value).
Never mind the cap space, I'm sincerely hoping he meant our 1st back to us for Stastny and Caps 1st for Alfie. Otherwise... Wow.

Old
11-24-2011, 11:36 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Never mind the cap space, I'm siceely hoping he meant our 1st back to us for Stastny and Caps 1st for Alfie. Otherwise... Wow.
He clearly states Wash 1st to us, he gave Avs 1st to Ott.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 11:51 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstriker045 View Post
He clearly states Wash 1st to us, he gave Avs 1st to Ott.
Let's be honest... Alfredsson is clearly better than Stastny. All one needs to do is check the All Star Game fan voting to see this.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 12:05 AM
xking23
Petersson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Never mind the cap space, I'm sincerely hoping he meant our 1st back to us for Stastny and Caps 1st for Alfie. Otherwise... Wow.
Whats funny is I see Col 1st for Alfie Kuba and Gonchar. Fisher fetched a 1st and a 2nd/3rd (conditional). So as you laugh at the Colorado side of the proposal, the Ottawa end is just as bad if not worse. I can see the value Washington gives up having to be doubled, and even then it wouldn't be enough for either side. So how about you get off your "Colorado is getting robbed while Ottawa gets a steal" because that is not nearly true at all.

Now I think both 1st round picks could fetch someone like Iginla if he was to be traded, it would help the Calgary rebuild if they wanted to do one. Other possibilities on a value stand point (with a little bit of wiggle on either side, but these trades probably less likely to happen) Rick Nash, Jamie Benn, JVR, Ryan (for powerforwards). Stay at home defencemen typically are harder to judge value if not watched so I wont comment on that. As for second liners, Fisher+, Clowe, Versteeg, Michalek.

Of course the second liners wouldn't be for both firsts (doubt it would take that much to get them) but ya, just some names being thrown out there.

xking23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 12:47 AM
Avs44

Quote:
Originally Posted by xking23 View Post
Whats funny is I see Col 1st for Alfie Kuba and Gonchar. Fisher fetched a 1st and a 2nd/3rd (conditional). So as you laugh at the Colorado side of the proposal, the Ottawa end is just as bad if not worse. I can see the value Washington gives up having to be doubled, and even then it wouldn't be enough for either side. So how about you get
off your "Colorado is getting
robbed while Ottawa gets a steal" because that is not nearly true at all.

Now I think both 1st round picks could fetch someone like Iginla if
he was to be traded, it would help
the Calgary rebuild if they wanted to do one. Other possibilities on a
value stand point (with a little bit of wiggle on either side, but these
trades probably less likely to happen) Rick Nash, Jamie Benn,
JVR, Ryan (for powerforwards). Stay at home defencemen typically
are harder to judge value if not watched so I wont comment on
that. As for second liners, Fisher+, Clowe, Versteeg, Michalek.

Of course the second liners
wouldn't be for both firsts (doubt it would take that much to get them)
but ya, just some names being thrown out there.
A) if the picks were switched it'd be
a helluva lot closer
B) without Stastny our pick is a lottery pick. That is definitely worth
Alfie+Gonchar+Kuba.
C) How bout you get off your high horse"it's just as bad on the Ottawa side if not worse" Really? A chance at a top 3 puck in one of the best drafts ever us not worth Kuba+aging Alfie+almost worthless Gonchar? Gimme a break man. Stastny>>that package. Nice try.

Old
11-25-2011, 12:47 AM
txpd

this is just silly. the caps are over the cap with a 7 figure player on ltir. they are not trading futures for salary.

the op's answer for "what do they need" is only his opinion and not close to what the actual general manager would think they needed. a power forward and a 25 minute shutdown defense first dman. mcphee is happy with alzner in the latter role and his confidence doesnt seem to be misplaced.

the capitals have a power forward on the roster already that should be able to take care of any offensive needs. he wears #8.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 01:01 AM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Semin + Col 1st for Briere.

Other than some kind of move like this, I dunno what Washington can acquire, given their cap situation.
No chance of this happening. The history between Ovey and Briere stops this from even being discussed. The additional 3 years of Brieres contract make this very unlikely.

The Col 1st is going to be off limits unless their play improves and they drop to the bottom half of the 1st round or you knock GMGMs socks off. If the right deal doesn't come along, GMGM will sit on them to restock the system. He's not going to give up either 1st for a rental.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 01:28 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
So:

Then,

did the math for you. 15 mil over.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 02:11 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 947
Semin + Col 1st + Was 1st for Weber. Washington gets a serious defenseman. Nashville gets the offensive threat, a top pick and a late first rounder. Maybe Semin could convince Radulov to come back

I actually don't see them trading the picks because as it has been pointed out, no one would take Semin to clear the necessary cap room for Washington to improve greatly this year. The more likely scenario is they get a hell of a player with Colorado's pick and bolster the team's immediate needs through free agency next off-season.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 02:55 AM
iceless
-`ღ-

CGY
Iginla (7.0m - UFA 2013)

WSH
Ward (3.0m - UFA 2015)
Hamrlik (3.5m - UFA 2013)
Eakin (637k - RFA 2014)
1st 2012 (Colorado)
3rd 2012

iceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 03:13 AM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

If Semin were traded at the trade deadline (assuming the Feb 28th date from last season), his prorated salary over the rest of the season would be 1.42M. This means that if your team currently has over 1.42M in cap room, they can get a 27 year old former 40 goal scorer with a career 0.81 playoff ppg on an expiring contract without sending money back, and will get a chance to resign him to a much lower contract after the season. And keep in mind that he's never had consistent playing time with a 60 point center.

So for the last time: Semin is not a cap dump. He does not have negative value. You can't simply throw him in to even up the salary costs. Please stop doing this.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Semin + Col 1st + Was 1st for Weber. Washington gets a serious defenseman. Nashville gets the offensive threat, a top pick and a late first rounder. Maybe Semin could convince Radulov to come back

I actually don't see them trading the picks because as it has been pointed out, no one would take Semin to clear the necessary cap room for Washington to improve greatly this year. The more likely scenario is they get a hell of a player with Colorado's pick and bolster the team's immediate needs through free agency next off-season.
Ok. you said the right word to get my attention. That would be worth investigating the interest of both GM's to see if a deal can be reached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque View Post
CGY
Iginla (7.0m - UFA 2013)

WSH
Ward (3.0m - UFA 2015)
Hamrlik (3.5m - UFA 2013)
Eakin (637k - RFA 2014)
1st 2012 (Colorado)
3rd 2012
No chance what so ever. Iggy is not worth a kings ransom to the CAPS. Another team might pay a high price but the CAPS will not.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 10:21 AM
TheBigE

I'd love a signed Semin in a Leafs uniform, and Kulemin and/or a defenceman would probably be availabe on the Leafs.

TheBigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 10:24 AM

Not that I find any validity in Eklunds blog but he states Detroit (as he's done before) would / could be interested in Semin.

What would Semin + Washington's 1st / Prospects (excluding Eakin, Orlov, Kuznetsov and probably even Gailev) yield with Detroit when playing the hypothetical game?

442 is offline   Reply With Quote