HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Quick questions/observation...

Closed Thread

Old
09-16-2004, 10:04 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Quick questions/observation...

without taking a side, I had this observation/question. Let's say there is a $31 million salary cap in place. Now say you're the New York Rangers. You're a player that has the opportunity to make the same money in Canada as you do with the Rangers. Does this put the Rangers at a huge competitive disadvantage? Who in his right mind would want to live in New York, paying NY rents or housing, when they can make the same money in Canada, or most everyplace else in the NHL, and live a bit fatter while saving a bigger portion of his paycheck? Yeah, New York is nice, but a $1 million salary here compared to a $1 million salary some place else is a big difference.

Old
09-16-2004, 10:14 AM
JR#9*

What's going to be even worse as some have pointed out is the serious threat of all these Euro's just staying put in their own countries now b/c they can make comprable $$$ while staying in their native lands where their families would be much more comfortable.

Think about it, if all the czechs stayed put and all the swedes played in the SEL and the Russians in the super league they'd have some pretty impressive talent levels not seen in those leagues now.

Theappeal of the NHL would be greatly diminished and as a result the NHL would return to being almost exclusively North American players which wouldn't be able to support a 30 team NHL.Come to think of it we don't have the talent level now to support a 30 team NHL!!!!

Bettman and co really have their heads stuck up thei a$$es on this one. :mad:

Old
09-16-2004, 10:25 AM
Fletch

Gotta be careful what you say, JR...

the whole idea regarding high salaries is the premise for the owners' and the league's argument. Even under the players proposal, salaries will come down. There still will be inequities in the league, as with everywhere in life, but the range of a $25-80 million payroll will (should) substantially narrow under any scenario.

Old
09-16-2004, 10:40 AM
JR#9*

I'm making reference to what the salaries would be like under a 31 million dollar hard cap which would see only a handfull of stars making above 2-3 million and all the rest would be under a million.

If that were the case what incentive would all these guys have to come over and uproot their families to play in NA???

There is no doubt that slaries have to and will come in to a degree but what the NHL is trying to accomplish would likely have the above stated effects if the NHL were successful in implementing it.

Old
09-16-2004, 10:42 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
I'm making reference to what the salaries would be like under a 31 million dollar hard cap which would see only a handfull of stars making above 2-3 million and all the rest would be under a million.
Exactly right, JR. Even in the NFL, the stars are still paid like stars. Think about it, in order to come to the $31m #, even the Devils would have to halve their payroll. The days of the Forsbergs, Kovulchuks, Sundins of the world would be over. If the non-North American players can make as much or more while staying home, why would they not do that?

Old
09-16-2004, 11:27 AM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Exactly right, JR. Even in the NFL, the stars are still paid like stars. Think about it, in order to come to the $31m #, even the Devils would have to halve their payroll. The days of the Forsbergs, Kovulchuks, Sundins of the world would be over. If the non-North American players can make as much or more while staying home, why would they not do that?
If the stars are still paid like stars in the NHL, then the stars are still going to come to the NHL. Salaries for top line players would come down a bit, but it's still likely significantly more than what they would get in Europe. I think we'd still see the Sundins and Forsbergs, but we'd lose the Nieminens and Radivojevics to Europe.

Old
09-16-2004, 04:18 PM
Fish

Well you could also argue that Canada is at a disadvantage because of the higher taxes, or cities like Philly and New York with their city taxes on top of State and Federal taxes.

Some teams (Toronto and New York) might also offer advantages in terms of endorsement opportunities and the ability to make more money outside of the game...

And then there is of course life style and the ability for any one team to sign players...after all if a guy wants 5 million a year, his options are going to be much more limited that a 500k guy

Old
09-16-2004, 06:37 PM
NYR469

if the salaries are equal then it definitely gives some teams advantages over others because while on paper $3 mil is $3 mil in the real world when you factor in cost of living, taxes, exchange rate, etc $3 mil in nyc isn't the same as $3 mil dallas which isn't the same as $3 mil in edmonton...

Old
09-17-2004, 09:13 AM
TKLOOCH22

Does anyone know how many Euro's are on the board for the Player Union? In a recent article, I think I read Teppo Numminen and Arturs Irbe as two of seven players sitting in on meetings.

Old
09-17-2004, 10:36 PM
ish

Interesting thread. Obviously salaries would drop if the league ever gets away with a $31M cap but what would keep teams from doing what NFL teams do and give huge signing bonuses and then relatively small yearly salaries? I don't think the exodus of Euros would be that bad if at all. A million bucks for a guy like Radivojevich for example would still be a lot of money for him. He's not getting that anywhere in Europe. So I think unless he's homesick he's gonna stick around. I also don't think there will be less player interest in NY as a result of lower salaries. It's still New York. I still think a farm boy from SK will be intrigued by the big city even if it's a little less money than before.

Closed Thread