HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I am on 'strike'

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-15-2004, 07:18 PM
  #1
Other Dave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New and improved in TO
Posts: 2,025
vCash: 500
I am on 'strike'

As a fan, the owners can lock me out of their arenas, but they can't stop me from buying their other products or participating in discussion groups. Therefore, it's up to me to go 'on strike'.

As of midnight EST, I will no longer have anything to do with the NHL as a fan. I won't buy a paper to see how the CBA is 'coming along', no jersey or hat this year, no Center Ice. As much as I like the sport, it's off the radar until the deal is signed. If then.

I know, nobody cares. But if this message convinces ONE other person to join me, it will have fulfilled its purpose.

David Lavictoire

Other Dave is offline  
Old
09-15-2004, 07:26 PM
  #2
littleD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 5,178
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to littleD
Yeah, I guess you wouldn't buy Centre Ice, since there won't be any programming...

And, um, newspapers do cover things other than hockey.

littleD is offline  
Old
09-15-2004, 07:35 PM
  #3
senate
Registered User
 
senate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Micronesia
Posts: 666
vCash: 500
I'll be your scab.

senate is offline  
Old
09-15-2004, 08:29 PM
  #4
Gus Fring
Registered User
 
Gus Fring's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,175
vCash: 500
fans SHOULD go on strike

Gus Fring is offline  
Old
09-15-2004, 08:30 PM
  #5
Gus Fring
Registered User
 
Gus Fring's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,175
vCash: 500
not me though im a sucker for hockey

Gus Fring is offline  
Old
09-15-2004, 09:05 PM
  #6
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is
 
Poignant Discussion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Gatineau, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,770
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Dave
As a fan, the owners can lock me out of their arenas, but they can't stop me from buying their other products or participating in discussion groups. Therefore, it's up to me to go 'on strike'.

As of midnight EST, I will no longer have anything to do with the NHL as a fan. I won't buy a paper to see how the CBA is 'coming along', no jersey or hat this year, no Center Ice. As much as I like the sport, it's off the radar until the deal is signed. If then.

I know, nobody cares. But if this message convinces ONE other person to join me, it will have fulfilled its purpose.

David Lavictoire
Dude if they actually go through with this nonsense. I won't only stop supporting the NHL but I'll cancel my seasons tickets next year as well won't purchase any products that has advertising with them. I will boycott their product for twice as long as they lock the players out. I have already written the Senators as well as the Leafs. The more people that stick to this plan, the more they will listen to us.

We may like enemy teams....but we are all hockey fans and we are the only ones getting screwed in this deal.

Screw the owners
Screw the players
Screw them all

We should come first....its OUR dollars that pay for their players and for their salaries

Poignant Discussion is offline  
Old
09-15-2004, 10:16 PM
  #7
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
Bruins fan here...

As a true hockey fan I am really happy real hockey doesn't starts and ends with NHL...We are trully fortunate in New England to have college hockey and even hockey our kids play ....

I hope NHL players will use this time to think about how lucky they are to have hockey as their profession...I know my kid cherishes every moment he has on the ice.

BruinsGirl is offline  
Old
09-15-2004, 11:01 PM
  #8
Russian_fanatic
Registered User
 
Russian_fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Dave
As a fan, the owners can lock me out of their arenas, but they can't stop me from buying their other products or participating in discussion groups. Therefore, it's up to me to go 'on strike'.

As of midnight EST, I will no longer have anything to do with the NHL as a fan. I won't buy a paper to see how the CBA is 'coming along', no jersey or hat this year, no Center Ice. As much as I like the sport, it's off the radar until the deal is signed. If then.

I know, nobody cares. But if this message convinces ONE other person to join me, it will have fulfilled its purpose.

David Lavictoire
This is a hardcore fan. Although I don't think the NHL will do something for one man.

Russian_fanatic is offline  
Old
09-15-2004, 11:12 PM
  #9
Sebastien Centomo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossa-the-future
not me though im a sucker for hockey
I like your committment.

Sebastien Centomo is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 07:43 AM
  #10
discostu
Registered User
 
discostu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Nomadville
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Dave
As a fan, the owners can lock me out of their arenas, but they can't stop me from buying their other products or participating in discussion groups. Therefore, it's up to me to go 'on strike'.

As of midnight EST, I will no longer have anything to do with the NHL as a fan. I won't buy a paper to see how the CBA is 'coming along', no jersey or hat this year, no Center Ice. As much as I like the sport, it's off the radar until the deal is signed. If then.

I know, nobody cares. But if this message convinces ONE other person to join me, it will have fulfilled its purpose.

David Lavictoire
I admire your commitment Dave, although, I must say, you're the one person whose views on the CBA process I hate to lose, seeing as it seems contrary to mine in almost all instances.

Personnally, I'm not shedding any tears over the lost hockey, at least not yet. I'm pretty indifferent to the whole deal. I enjoy it while it's here, but can definitely get by without it. Whenever it returns, if I feel like watching it, I will, if I don't, I don't.

discostu is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 10:03 AM
  #11
c_mak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Waterloo
Country: Canada
Posts: 775
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to c_mak
No matter what we say, .. we will boycott, ignore, or reufse to purchase ...WE ALL LOVE HOCKEY..which is why we are here writing on these boards ..looking for other opinions, information or food for our hockey thought.. Sadly we are addcited and the NHL players and owners have taken away our fix.
Even more sad is the fact that the neither the owners nor players care about us..if they did they would be putting their ego's aside and getting on with game we love to watch .. Neither side has ever focussed on what the fans want . In fact many times I get the feeling they are telling us what we want.
Part of our being taken for granted as fans is our own fault but it is a fault developed out of love and joy.. the pure love we feel for our sport and the joy we get around planing to watch "the hockey game" we all have our own routine.. Mine was to make dinner with just the radio on .. then move to the tv. to eat and watch the game ..then listen to the post game show with a beer and funnny cigarette..
I beleive the only way to get over our addiction is to cultivate other addictive hockey interests.. these would include..

1. more road trips to see ahl games.. bingo or hamilton would be a good start
2. hockey pools based around ahl leauges or major junoir leauges
3. playing more hockey ..hey saturday nights are free now
4. coaching, or refereeing, scouting (?) hockey or some type of volunteer work at kids tournaments that gets us closer to the game
5. going to central junoir games we our support would be appreciated

I hate this lockout and hate what has happened to hockey I was angry but now .....now I think that anger and hate are emotions that take energy and I am not willing to give anymore energy to the NHL. So i will check the progress listen to the rhetoric from bettmen and goodenow but I will listen like i did in church as a kid that is to say with fained interest...kinda like being on strike too
I wish all of you who post here or just come here to read, luck in replacing your mistress that is hockey

c_mak is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 10:23 AM
  #12
SensGod
Registered User
 
SensGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Scotia Bank Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,430
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SensGod
For me personally...I'm a little torn.

I TOTALLY blame the owners for creating this situation.

There is a rookie cap...once players get out of their rookie salaries, they are entitled to a 10% raise per year until they are at the NHL average salary as a qualifying offer until the age of 31.

so...theoretically the rules are in the owners favour until UFA age hits. Players shouldn't be making more than 1.8 million a year until they hit UFA.

Owners who gave the likes of Kariya and Pronger 9 million a year in their early 20's totally destroyed any control they had on salaries under the current CBA.

Instead of the owners dictating what salaries were...the owners turned it into a market based salary structure where richer owners could get the better players...

The owners have created the monster known as "Player salary demands". If they would have played within the rules given to them in the past CBA...salaries wouldn't be anywhere near as high as they are today.

100% owners fault for allowing the players to base their value on the market.

SensGod is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 10:50 AM
  #13
Gus Fring
Registered User
 
Gus Fring's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,175
vCash: 500
I think its the owners from teams like new york and other big market teams fault, i mean its like monkey see monkey do -----> if I see jagr making like 9 mill or whatever and federov the same (just guessing on salaries) and im producing more, even if im playing in a smaller market i still demand more$$$(or at least close to it) and in fear of these players who the fans in their citys have learned to love, will just go sign somewhere else they are forced to give them a raise (once their ufa's) ... just my opinion

Gus Fring is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 11:02 AM
  #14
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?
 
Kickabrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,929
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
There is a rookie cap...once players get out of their rookie salaries, they are entitled to a 10% raise per year until they are at the NHL average salary as a qualifying offer until the age of 31. so...theoretically the rules are in the owners favour until UFA age hits. Players shouldn't be making more than 1.8 million a year until they hit UFA.
Theoretically true but in practice useless. Ever since the Thornton contract, top level rookies have been able to demand bonus money that pushes their entry level salaries through the roof. If they refuse to sign, they go back in the draft and a team has lost its rights to a potential impact player with no equivalent compensation coming their way. As for qualifying offers, that is true but there is still arbitration rights in there. Arbitration is one of the real sore spots for the owners and according to them is a key cause of the inflationary salary spiral. IMO both parties are to blame for this mess. There is a $2B pie out there and these jokers can't figure out a way to share it.

Kickabrat is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 11:06 AM
  #15
SensGod
Registered User
 
SensGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Scotia Bank Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,430
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickabrat
Theoretically true but in practice useless. Ever since the Thornton contract, top level rookies have been able to demand bonus money that pushes their entry level salaries through the roof. If they refuse to sign, they go back in the draft and a team has lost its rights to a potential impact player with no equivalent compensation coming their way. As for qualifying offers, that is true but there is still arbitration rights in there. Arbitration is one of the real sore spots for the owners and according to them is a key cause of the inflationary salary spiral. IMO both parties are to blame for this mess. There is a $2B pie out there and these jokers can't figure out a way to share it.

Totally agree...the players know there will be some idiot owner out there that will break the rules...THIS is why we need the cap.

The owners aren't mature enough to keep their spending under control so they need to be babysitted.

I know that the owners are competitive, etc...but for the good of the league...they need to have clear cut rules to what they can or can't do.

SensGod is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 12:10 PM
  #16
Ismellofhockey
Registered User
 
Ismellofhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,636
vCash: 500
It's clear to me that both parties are to blame, although for different reasons. The owners got themselves into this mess as has been said, the Senators got the ball rolling with Daigle, the Rangers capped off the delirium with a $45M contract to Holik.

The players on the other hand don't seem to be willing to negociate in good faith, I think anybody can realize that their proposals have been insignificant, they haven't put anything forward of any value.

Which means that the fans have no side to back, no one they're committed to, effectively giving us the idea that neither side cares about us but both want our money.

We're being screwed by both parties and each has the gall to stand by their ridiculous claims and say the others are wrong.

Both the league and players have perfect examples of what works and what doesn't by looking at the NBA, NFL and MLB but no one has the common sense to figure out a reasonable plan. Thank you mr Bettman for you wonderful work as commissioner.

Ismellofhockey is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 12:21 PM
  #17
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is
 
Poignant Discussion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Gatineau, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,770
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
Totally agree...the players know there will be some idiot owner out there that will break the rules...THIS is why we need the cap.

The owners aren't mature enough to keep their spending under control so they need to be babysitted.

I know that the owners are competitive, etc...but for the good of the league...they need to have clear cut rules to what they can or can't do.

All the owners have to do is open their damned books for gods sakes. If they can prove that the NHL operations lost 200 million or whatever the players will concede. But we ALL know the owners are full of crap with this. They just want to own the players the same way they did when Zigler and Eagle were working together. To fill their own pockets and screw the players

What the younger fans don't remember is there was a time not very long ago that you needed a 2nd job if you were a hockey player. The owners were thieves then and i'm sure they are lying tooth and nail about their losses now

You know this whole thing reminds me of the "McPizza" thing in the 90's. Mcdonalds thought they could crush the competion by adding pizza to their menu.. Burger King and Wendys had 2 choices. 1. Add pizza to their menus are a reaction to McDonalds doing so and trying to get some of the market share back. Or 2. Work on their core menu and concede the pizza idea to McDonalds

They did number 2 and McDonalds lost a ton of money on the pizza idea. If Wendys or Burger King had followed with the same success they would have lost a ton of money and most likely went under.

Its called good business practise, just because the Rangers paid 9 million for a 3rd line center did NOT mean Calgary had to go out and sign Conroy to 6 million. You could be smart about it and follow your plan without letting other teams dictate your strategy.

The owners have lied about their books in the past...wont open them now and have made some pretty questionable moves. I don't blame the players saying..we are not going to help yopu save yourselves...if you don't have the business sense to survive then maybe you should be doing something else. Its an ego thing with ALL the owners

Poignant Discussion is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 01:15 PM
  #18
SensGod
Registered User
 
SensGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Scotia Bank Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,430
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by NataSatan666
All the owners have to do is open their damned books for gods sakes. If they can prove that the NHL operations lost 200 million or whatever the players will concede. But we ALL know the owners are full of crap with this. They just want to own the players the same way they did when Zigler and Eagle were working together. To fill their own pockets and screw the players

What the younger fans don't remember is there was a time not very long ago that you needed a 2nd job if you were a hockey player. The owners were thieves then and i'm sure they are lying tooth and nail about their losses now

You know this whole thing reminds me of the "McPizza" thing in the 90's. Mcdonalds thought they could crush the competion by adding pizza to their menu.. Burger King and Wendys had 2 choices. 1. Add pizza to their menus are a reaction to McDonalds doing so and trying to get some of the market share back. Or 2. Work on their core menu and concede the pizza idea to McDonalds

They did number 2 and McDonalds lost a ton of money on the pizza idea. If Wendys or Burger King had followed with the same success they would have lost a ton of money and most likely went under.

Its called good business practise, just because the Rangers paid 9 million for a 3rd line center did NOT mean Calgary had to go out and sign Conroy to 6 million. You could be smart about it and follow your plan without letting other teams dictate your strategy.

The owners have lied about their books in the past...wont open them now and have made some pretty questionable moves. I don't blame the players saying..we are not going to help yopu save yourselves...if you don't have the business sense to survive then maybe you should be doing something else. Its an ego thing with ALL the owners
I see your point...no worries there.

the fact of the matter is that the NHL did open it's book. Well as far as the public is concerned. They are losing money...how can you explain the bancruptcy claims in the past few years?

Player salaries have escalated to a very healthy sum in the past few years...the owners have proven they can't control their own purse strings and unless there are controls put on them we are going to have the 3-tier league like we have today. Teams that have money to burn, teams who have money, and poor teams.

I want a level playing field for everyone...

SensGod is offline  
Old
09-16-2004, 01:33 PM
  #19
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is
 
Poignant Discussion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Gatineau, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,770
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
I see your point...no worries there.

the fact of the matter is that the NHL did open it's book. Well as far as the public is concerned. They are losing money...how can you explain the bancruptcy claims in the past few years?

Player salaries have escalated to a very healthy sum in the past few years...the owners have proven they can't control their own purse strings and unless there are controls put on them we are going to have the 3-tier league like we have today. Teams that have money to burn, teams who have money, and poor teams.

I want a level playing field for everyone...
The thing though god is...these people can turn profits into loses by a simple stroke of the pen and it would take accountants years to figure out if they were proper. Hell I have a small business in Ottawa and I make money...but with a dab here and a dab there I can lose whatever amount I want to lose for tax purposes.

I guess my main problem is the NHL rubberstamping ownership changes without looking deeper at the source. You are right we have had 3 bankruptcies in the last few years.

1. Was the Rigas thief in Buffalo
2. One was the idiot in Ottawa who basicly assumed the team on credit and never paid one cent into it, with the intention of buying back the team at a fractional cost
3. The Pittsburgh situation is unique as the team is in a hellhole with no chance of making a profit. Basicly an amazing candidate in my mind for contraction.

Lets not forget the owner that started the league going to hell. Bruce McNall who was another one who lied about his worth and the NHL was a toy for him. "Lets trade for Wayne for kicks and hell lets raise his salary to 3 million"

Which at the time was what the high end BASEBALL players were making.

Add the NYI situation with a certain owner...how in the heck are the players supposed to trust a bunch of idiots like that?

Poignant Discussion is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.