HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Flyers Prospects and Phantoms Discussion Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2012, 09:12 PM
EasyMac

vCash: 500
I think one advantage the Flyers have is hey can point to the success of their recent NCAA signings in making the NHL. Matt Read plays full time, and Harry Z and Gustafsson both have played a bunch of games this season. I would also think any defenseman could look at the sorry state of upcoming dman for the Flyers and realize it would be a good team to sign with to have a shot. Plus the Flyers also have the ability to offer players one way contracts like Read received, so that could be an added bonus for a player to be guaranteed good money even if they will be in the AHL at first.

Last edited by EasyMac: 02-29-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old
02-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Psuhockey

Question: can you offer any prospect a one way deal or only prospects of a certain age? Read was I think 25 when he signed so that is pretty old and I thought he was eligible for a different type of contract than a normal entry level deal. Any body know the details out of curiosity?

Old
02-29-2012, 09:41 PM
EasyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Question: can you offer any prospect a one way deal or only prospects of a certain age? Read was I think 25 when he signed so that is pretty old and I thought he was eligible for a different type of contract than a normal entry level deal. Any body know the details out of curiosity?

I think it is of a certain age but can't remember the cutoff. I remember when Bozak signed, he had to be and ELC but Burke gave him the max bonuses to get him to sign in TO.

Old
02-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Isn't there two highly touted NCAA defenseman that are expected to garner a ton of interest? I think the one was Schwartz or something, but I don't remember the other one. The other one is Czech or something and tall as hell, like 6'7 if I remember correctly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Andrej Sustr (6'8" 218lbs, shoots right) and Dan DeKeyser are the two big d-men that teams are looking at I think. Krug is on the list as well. I hope we get either (or both) of DeKeyser/Sustr or Brown. If Brown is here, man would we be a fast team.
Quote:
That would be the guy I was talking about, couldn't remember his name for the life of me. Where am I getting the Schwartz name from? I might be thinking of another player for some reason? I think the Blues have a prospect named Schwartz but he is a forward. I probably am mistaken.

Also heard that Sustr guy can skate pretty well for being so big can't he? If he can skate well I would live to sign him and let him come into his own with a couple seasons with the phantoms
Yeah, it's Sustr. He wants to be the next Chara. I actually got a chance to watch one of his games the other week, but I tuned in more to get a look at his defensive partner, Michael Young, the former Flin Flon Bomber who the Flyers had at rookie camp last year and are obviously interested in. Here's the report I wrote (it's back on page 15):

Quote:
Not sure if any of you guys follow NCAA hockey or pay attention to prospects possibly being targeted by the Flyers, but if so, Nebraska-Omaha's Michael Young is a player to watch. He took part in the Flyers rookie camp over the summer, so he's obviously on their radar, and now plays on UNO's top defensive pairing with Andrej Sustr (the 6'8" monster). I was able to watch Young for the first time this past Friday against Colorado College. While he was a -3 on the night (playing against the likes of Jaden and Rylan Schwartz), I liked a lot of what I saw from him. Smooth skater with powerful strides, and he uses that ability to jump into the play. Liked his hockey sense and knack for knowing when to pinch and when to retreat (he actually made a really nice play early in the game by picking off a clearing attempt at the blue line, dropping the puck off to a teammate, and then making a beeline for the net -- he got the pass back and put a good shot on for UNO's first scoring chance but was stopped by the CC goalie). It was also Young's wrist shot from the point on the PP that was deflected in front for UNO's first goal. While it doesn't seem like throwing his weight around is one of the staples of his game, he isn't afraid to get physical and take the body. Plays a solid two-way game, exhibits poise/appears to be a calming influence on the ice, makes a good first pass, and can skate the puck up the ice. He was really buzzing at times and seemed to be everywhere. UNO lost to CC 4-3 in this game (on a bogus disallowed goal call with 2 min left) but beat CC the next night 5-3 -- Young was a +2 and picked up the assist on the GWG. If you have NBC Sports Network (nee Versus), you can watch him play on March 2 at 7:30 pm when UNO takes on Denver.

One other thing: Young played his junior hockey for the Flin Flon Bombers, same as a certain Robert Earle Clarke.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=111966

http://www.wcha.com/men/statistics/players12.php?unom08

Edit: I'll add that CC's Alexander Krushelnyski (LW) was probably the player who stood out to me most while watching the game. He scored the game's first goal on a breakaway, off a beautiful stretch pass from Gabe Guentzel (D), another NHL prospect.
Flyers are also supposedly in on Minnesota-Duluth's J.T. Brown. If you have the opportunity, I strongly urge you to watch one of his game. Brown is an awesome player to root for and would be an immediate fan favorite in Philly. Fast (like, really ****ing fast), athletic, shifty and gritty, with an NHL-caliber shot to match. Interesting note: His father played in the NFL.

Old
02-29-2012, 10:45 PM
Prongo
Beer

^ thanks for the info! Im trying to learn about all the NCAA free agents and also the draftees in this years draft. It has probably been posted, but when can the NCAA free agents start to sign?

Edit: Saw it was Thursday for NCAA free agents

Last edited by Prongo: 02-29-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old
02-29-2012, 10:56 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
^ thanks for the info! Im trying to learn about all the NCAA free agents and also the draftees in this years draft. It has probably been posted, but when can the NCAA free agents start to sign?

As soon as their season ends.

Old
02-29-2012, 10:57 PM
SolidSnakeUS

So in essence, it might become a very early draft/free agency signing(s) time for the Flyers then?

Old
02-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
As soon as their season ends.
Well is that Thursday or I saw someone say after this weekend?

Old
02-29-2012, 11:21 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

So question, mostly for Rick but anyone who knows the rules more than I do. We are at 50 contracts right now. Are we allowed to sign collage free agents before summer like we usually do even if we are at the limit? I thought we could since their contract wouldnt start till next season, but I remember someone on twitter saying that we couldnt.

Last edited by sa cyred: 02-29-2012 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Rick not Rich
Old
02-29-2012, 11:24 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
So question, mostly for Rich but anyone who knows the rules more than I do. We are at 50 contracts right now. Are we allowed to sign collage free agents before summer like we usually do even if we are at the limit? I thought we could since their contract wouldnt start till next season, but I remember someone on twitter saying that we couldnt.
So what you're asking is if we can sign them for next season right now even though we currently have 50 players? That's what I'd like to know.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:48 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
I've got to imagine, after seeing the Flyers success with NCAAers, that other teams will be onto signing them ASAP.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:49 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMac View Post
I think one advantage the Flyers have is hey can point to the success of their recent NCAA signings in making the NHL. Matt Read plays full time, and Harry Z and Gustafsson both have played a bunch of games this season. I would also think any defenseman could look at the sorry state of upcoming dman for the Flyers and realize it would be a good team to sign with to have a shot. Plus the Flyers also have the ability to offer players one way contracts like Read received, so that could be an added bonus for a player to be guaranteed good money even if they will be in the AHL at first.
Read signed a 3 year deal worth $900K on a one-way. I think he had the rookie max of $900K, but no ELC because he was too old, therefore no automatic 2 way contract.

Signing guys like that means good scouting and the willingness to blow $2.7M for a 3 year Phantom....In other words, a great job by the org.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I've got to imagine, after seeing the Flyers success with NCAAers, that other teams will be onto signing them ASAP.
They are and have been, but the Flyers in many cases simply outbid the competition by offering the max.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:51 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I guess we'll see if we pick up anyone in the coming rest of the week?

Old
03-01-2012, 04:10 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
So question, mostly for Rick but anyone who knows the rules more than I do. We are at 50 contracts right now. Are we allowed to sign collage free agents before summer like we usually do even if we are at the limit? I thought we could since their contract wouldnt start till next season, but I remember someone on twitter saying that we couldnt.
Yes, we can sign players for next season, the circumstances are similar to last offseason, we were close to fifty contracts and signed many Free Agents. It will be the same procedure as always, AHL tryout for the remainder of this season and Entry-Level-Contract starting next season. We just can't sign more than fifty players for next season.

Old
03-01-2012, 04:27 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:

They are always allowed to sign.

Once they sign a contract they lose their eligibility to play in the NCAA. Therefor they usually sign after their season ended, at first if they don't qualify for their conferences tournament (1), after they failed in their conference playoffs and have no hope for the national tournament (2), after the 16 teams for the national tournament are determined (3) and after they fail in the national tournament (4).

Old
03-01-2012, 05:52 AM
Krishna

Flyers should definitely try to get Olli Maatta or Dalton Thrower in the draft

Old
03-01-2012, 05:55 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Flyers should definitely try to get Olli Maatta or Dalton Thrower in the draft
I'd say more Koekkoek over Thrower. Still would love Maatta or Ceci though. Still think we should really try to get some really good d-men from the NCAA (Sustr or DeKeyser).

Old
03-01-2012, 06:42 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I'd say more Koekkoek over Thrower. Still would love Maatta or Ceci though. Still think we should really try to get some really good d-men from the NCAA (Sustr or DeKeyser).
Well the reason i said those two was because Maatta is apparently the most nhl ready defenseman and Thrower is one of the more physical defenseman in the first round

Old
03-01-2012, 04:18 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Looking at some revised Mock Drafts, saw one with us taking Aberg in the 1st round. Some people are expecting him to fall abit since his defensive game is suposidly questionable. That being said, his offensive ability is top 5, and I would love for him to be drafted. Get him over here and play in the AHL next season.

Old
03-01-2012, 11:14 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Looking at some revised Mock Drafts, saw one with us taking Aberg in the 1st round. Some people are expecting him to fall abit since his defensive game is suposidly questionable. That being said, his offensive ability is top 5, and I would love for him to be drafted. Get him over here and play in the AHL next season.
Another name to watch who the Flyers really like - Daniil Zharkov in Belleville. They think he's a great kid with high end upside. He's loved by the coaches in Belleville and his character speaks in volumes on how he got to play in North America. he's also an excellent worker and is not afraid to throw his weight around either.

Old
03-02-2012, 01:30 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I like Zharkov as a player, but he is not a first round talent. I'd be extremely disappointed if we reached for him in the first round, even if we had 30th overall.

Old
03-02-2012, 06:08 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
I like Zharkov as a player, but he is not a first round talent. I'd be extremely disappointed if we reached for him in the first round, even if we had 30th overall.
With the Flyers late 1st round success at drafting forwards, I would give them the benefit of the doubt that any forward they pick at that position isn't a reach but a future stud; draft rankings be damned.

Old
03-02-2012, 06:55 AM
RussianRocket10

Hopefully we can get Niko Hovinen over here next year. I'm not sure what the competition is like over there in the SM-liiga but it looks like he's doing great on paper. I've never seen game footage of him though.

20 wins - Leads the league
4 shutouts - 3rd in the league
2.30 GAA - 8th in league
.919 save percentage - 9th in the league

Last edited by RussianRocket10: 03-02-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old
03-02-2012, 08:00 AM
Jumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Yeah, it's Sustr. He wants to be the next Chara. I actually got a chance to watch one of his games the other week, but I tuned in more to get a look at his defensive partner, Michael Young, the former Flin Flon Bomber who the Flyers had at rookie camp last year and are obviously interested in. Here's the report I wrote (it's back on page 15):

Flyers are also supposedly in on Minnesota-Duluth's J.T. Brown. If you have the opportunity, I strongly urge you to watch one of his game. Brown is an awesome player to root for and would be an immediate fan favorite in Philly. Fast (like, really ****ing fast), athletic, shifty and gritty, with an NHL-caliber shot to match. Interesting note: His father played in the NFL.
Is Krushelnyski related to Mike of the NHL many years back? Nice bloodlines if so.

Closed Thread