HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Flyers Prospects and Phantoms Discussion Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2012, 09:43 AM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
But a couple young guys, that look intriguing, are manning and Gustafson. So do you guys think 1 of those two, can become starters, if we do let kubina go,Carle go and are able to land Suter. Do you think 1 of them, can earn carle's spot, next year. Giving us, timmoen, mezaros,grosmann,coburn,Suter and 1 of the young guys.
With Radulov's imminent return to the the NHL and the fact that he'll be an RFA this off season leads me to beleive that Suter will remain a Predator.

I would definitely like to see Gus on the 3rd pairing next year. IMO he's looked real good for a guy in only his 2nd pro season. He's still relatively young (though he is older then Manning and MAB) but I think he has the highest offensive upside of the three. If Carle were to walk I think he would be the logical replacement.

Old
03-20-2012, 09:45 AM
thelos
Bunk

Anyone know if Bourdon is still hurt?

Old
03-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
Anyone know if Bourdon is still hurt?
Tim McManus last Thursday:

Quote:
-- As planned, defenseman Marc-Andre Bourdon skated about half the practice. He wore a teal, no-contact jersey but participated in all the drills. He even took the body a couple times and didn't appear to be shying away from contact. Bourdon will make the trip with the team this weekend, but I sense he's more likely to play in Syracuse on Saturday than Friday in Hershey. Bourdon hasn't played with the Phantoms since Nov. 20. He's been injured since being sent down from Philadelphia on Feb. 20.
Edit: He played during the weekend.

Old
03-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
With Radulov's imminent return to the the NHL and the fact that he'll be an RFA this off season leads me to beleive that Suter will remain a Predator.

I would definitely like to see Gus on the 3rd pairing next year. IMO he's looked real good for a guy in only his 2nd pro season. He's still relatively young (though he is older then Manning and MAB) but I think he has the highest offensive upside of the three. If Carle were to walk I think he would be the logical replacement.
I don't get why people are saying this? Radulov isn't a one in a lifetime player here. He's good but not good enough to make Suter say, "well there it is boys the missing piece. Why would I ever want to leave this place now". I really believe that Suter and his agent have their eyes on the free agency market because they are going to command a huge pay day. I bet if he really wants to stay in Nashville, he hits the market and takes back his best offer to nashville to see if they can match.

Old
03-20-2012, 09:51 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
Tim McManus last Thursday:
Thanks! Checked the weekend boxscore, and it looks like he played Saturday and scored a goal.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
With Radulov's imminent return to the the NHL and the fact that he'll be an RFA this off season leads me to beleive that Suter will remain a Predator. .
I read yesterday on Prohockeytalk and Puck Daddy that Radulov is expected to go back to Russia next year and finish his KHL contract than return to the NHL as an UFA at 27 years old the following year. If that is the case, Nashville will have him for only this season. How will that sway Suter to stay? IMO Suter wants to be a free agent and if that's the case, the Flyers will be his likely landing spot. How they will fit him under the cap, I have no idea. Probably with a very cheap and young third pair.

Old
03-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Prongo
Beer

Sami Kapanen's kid.

Stole it from the prospects board. The Flyers should draft him of course when he is eligible!

Old
03-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Eh, Im alittle reserved on it. There arent many, if any, agitators in the league that are big point getters in the NHL. Just not their job. I think a Downie or even Marchland comparisons are good en regards to roles and offensive ability. 40-50 point agitators are good. What are you expecting points wise in the NHL?

The skating thing is what I read from many scouts who have watched him last season and this. They said that was his "weak" point, especially for a small player. But I agree on most of the other things. For a 3rd round pick, he single handedly carried his team. I like Cousins dont get me wrong. He can agitate but he can also do other things on the ice which players like Carcillo and Rinaldo could never do. Hopefully he can produce points in the NHL.
This kid is a way better skater than given credit for. His size and strenght was a weak spot not his skating. It will be interesting to see where his game is in two or three years.

Old
03-20-2012, 03:38 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Sami Kapanen's kid.

Stole it from the prospects board. The Flyers should draft him of course when he is eligible!
I probably won't be till 2014 or 2015 (not sure how being born in July works).

Old
03-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I probably won't be till 2014 or 2015 (not sure how being born in July works).
2014 draft. I'm a patient man His dad should convince him to go nowhere but the Flyers. It would just be cool to have him on this team, remembering everything Sami did for us.

Old
03-20-2012, 04:34 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I read yesterday on Prohockeytalk and Puck Daddy that Radulov is expected to go back to Russia next year and finish his KHL contract than return to the NHL as an UFA at 27 years old the following year. If that is the case, Nashville will have him for only this season. How will that sway Suter to stay? IMO Suter wants to be a free agent and if that's the case, the Flyers will be his likely landing spot. How they will fit him under the cap, I have no idea. Probably with a very cheap and young third pair.
based on what exactly the fact that the flyers have a need and that paul will be looking to fill it? i guess other teams don't have similar needs.

Quote:
I don't get why people are saying this? Radulov isn't a one in a lifetime player here. He's good but not good enough to make Suter say, "well there it is boys the missing piece. Why would I ever want to leave this place now". I really believe that Suter and his agent have their eyes on the free agency market because they are going to command a huge pay day. I bet if he really wants to stay in Nashville, he hits the market and takes back his best offer to nashville to see if they can match.
Suter said he wanted to see a commitment from the team to winning so management went out and strengthened the team for a run at the cup. now they have radulov who instantly becomes their best forward coming back. rad may not be a lifetime player but he doesn't have to be. they added a guy that can put up 30 goals and 70pts a season in this league, thats not something to sneeze at. all im saying is i refuse to plan on suter being a flyer next year when it could go several different ways. no doubt if he's available the flyers will be one of the front runners but i've never seen some many people act like something is a sure thing when it clearly is not.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 03-20-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old
03-20-2012, 04:59 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
based on what exactly the fact that the flyers have a need and that paul will be looking to fill it? i guess other teams don't have similar needs.
I will give you 3 reasons. One is that Paul Holmgren gives free agents practically whatever they want money wise. Look at last year. Bryz wanted 49 mil over 7 yrs. Even though there was not a market for that kind of money for goaltenders last year, the Flyers gave him that. Also Timmonen, Hartnell, Briere and Pronger all made out considerable well when they signed with the Flyers, sometimes above market value at the time. So any amount of money Suter wants, the Flyers will give him that and add a couple of years to make the cap hit manageable. The second reason is the Flyers are the most aggressive team when it comes to trading for free agents before they hit the market. Few teams are willing to give away assets for UFA's to have a few days of exclusive negotiating time, especially good assets. The Flyers have traded a first, multiple thirds, and players all for a couple of days of negotiating and it has worked except once with Hamhuis. Hamhuis was a special circumstance in that it was a well known secret he wanted to play closure to home in Vancouver and the Flyers had almost no chance from the get go. Still they traded for his rights. Suter could very well also have a specific team he wants to play for but as of now, it hasn't gotten out. The third reason is the Nashville/Flyers connection. The Flyers have prominent former Predators on their team who can speak highly of the organization. Also there is the trading history between the two clubs. If Poile can not sign Suter, I would think he will do all he can to prevent him from signing with Detroit or another western conference rival. That is why a pre-free agency trade is very possible. If the Flyers want Suter and Suter is willing to be a Flyer, I think it will happen just based on history.

Old
03-20-2012, 05:13 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Aren't Suter, Weber and Radulov all really good freinds? Why would getting Radulov drive the team apart aside from money?

Old
03-20-2012, 06:23 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I will give you 3 reasons. One is that Paul Holmgren gives free agents practically whatever they want money wise. Look at last year. Bryz wanted 49 mil over 7 yrs. Even though there was not a market for that kind of money for goaltenders last year, the Flyers gave him that. Also Timmonen, Hartnell, Briere and Pronger all made out considerable well when they signed with the Flyers, sometimes above market value at the time. So any amount of money Suter wants, the Flyers will give him that and add a couple of years to make the cap hit manageable. The second reason is the Flyers are the most aggressive team when it comes to trading for free agents before they hit the market. Few teams are willing to give away assets for UFA's to have a few days of exclusive negotiating time, especially good assets. The Flyers have traded a first, multiple thirds, and players all for a couple of days of negotiating and it has worked except once with Hamhuis. Hamhuis was a special circumstance in that it was a well known secret he wanted to play closure to home in Vancouver and the Flyers had almost no chance from the get go. Still they traded for his rights. Suter could very well also have a specific team he wants to play for but as of now, it hasn't gotten out. The third reason is the Nashville/Flyers connection. The Flyers have prominent former Predators on their team who can speak highly of the organization. Also there is the trading history between the two clubs. If Poile can not sign Suter, I would think he will do all he can to prevent him from signing with Detroit or another western conference rival. That is why a pre-free agency trade is very possible. If the Flyers want Suter and Suter is willing to be a Flyer, I think it will happen just based on history.
I agree if he goes to UFA flyers will be one of the front runners for those reasons but I wouldn't count on it.

If it does come to that I just hope Paul doesn't do anything he'll regret in a few years

Old
03-21-2012, 12:16 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Sami Kapanen's kid.

Everyone should watch that video for the last 2 seconds alone. Hilarious dance.

He does look like a good player as well.

Old
03-21-2012, 09:35 AM
BillDineen

This was in Elliott Friedman's 30 thoughts:

"16. Speaking of American-based talents, several teams are waiting for West Kelowna's Justin Schultz to make a decision. Drafted by Anaheim and considered the NCAA's best prospect, he has finished his season at Wisconsin and can now join the Ducks. If he waits until the summer, though, the defenceman can become an unrestricted free agent. To Anaheim's consternation, it would be a surprise if he didn't."

If he gets to UFA, I hope the Flyers get him.

Old
03-21-2012, 11:58 PM
PhilaFlyers

What do you guys think we'll do in the draft this year? I'm really hoping one of Olli Maatta or Brady Skjei falls to us.

Old
03-22-2012, 12:02 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn Couturier View Post
What do you guys think we'll do in the draft this year? I'm really hoping one of Olli Maatta or Brady Skjei falls to us.
I saw some people having him fall into the late 2nd or even third round now...

I think we do what we always do. Take the best available player, or make a trade for a big named player and ship multiple first rounders away. Hoping for a draft day Weber deal! I know it won't happen but I can dream.

Old
03-22-2012, 12:20 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I'd still say trade our 1st, Bob + MAB/Gus for a higher pick, hopefully somewhere in the top 15 or top 10 for a high end D pick.

Old
03-22-2012, 08:09 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn Couturier View Post
All I can say with relative certainty is that if Tomas Hyka is still there when the Flyers pick in the third round, they'll take him.

Old
03-22-2012, 09:00 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Mathers signed to an amatur tryout and will finish the season with the phantoms.

Old
03-22-2012, 09:35 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Mathers signed to an amatur tryout and will finish the season with the phantoms.
Had a chance to catch a few Peterborough games this year. Mathers wore an A, so they valued his leadership, and he also switched back and played D for a bit (respectably) when they had a rash of injuries, so he'll do anything for the team.

He has fairly decent hands, and makes decent plays taking the wraparounds off the boards and getting the puck out of the zone. His skating is not great, but he gets around and goes to the net well.

He's got a very slim chance to play in the NHL as a playing goon if his skating picks up considerably and he can still fight heavyweights. Realistically, Jody Shelley or Dave Brown is his upside.

Sestito can skate, hit and has good hands, he just needed to prove he could survive fights with heavyweights. Mathers' problem is the reverse. He's tough enough to fight Jr. goons, how will he do vs. NHL level goons and will he be able to skate and hit well enought o play more than 4 minutes/game?

Old
03-22-2012, 11:34 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I thought he was still too young for the A?

Old
03-22-2012, 11:57 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I thought he was still too young for the A?
his junior season is probably over for the year

Old
03-22-2012, 12:19 PM
PhilaFlyers

Flyers Top 10 from the Hockey News Future Watch:
1. Erik Gustafsson
2. Eric Wellwood
3. Ben Holmstrom
4. Oliver Lauridsen
5. Nick Cousins
6. Mike Testwuide