Notices

Flames sign Phaneuf

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2004, 08:23 PM
Go Flames Go*

vCash: 500
Flames sign Phaneuf

The Flames have just signed Dion Phanuef to a 3 year deal worth the rookie max.

Old
09-15-2004, 08:59 PM
ForeignFlame

Team media release: www.calgaryflames.com

Sutter thinks Phaneuf would be on the big club if the season were going ahead as normal: “We feel that if the season was in place Dion Phaneuf would be playing on our hockey team,” said Sutter. “He is the top defenceman in the Western Hockey League.”

Old
09-15-2004, 09:06 PM
Go Flames Go*

I feel that Phaneuf will win the rookie of the year, when he puts up 37 pts and finished with 88 PIM, and and plus rating while ending the carrer of Ryan Smyth with a vicious clean body check. :

Old
09-16-2004, 12:54 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Flames Go
I feel that Phaneuf will win the rookie of the year, when he puts up 37 pts and finished with 88 PIM, and and plus rating while ending the carrer of Ryan Smyth with a vicious clean body check. :
Only to have Laraque later beat him into a concussion, ending Phanuef's career. Your whole post is funny in what I just responded too, and the fact that Phanuef doesn't appear to be an offensive defenceman, so 37 pts. in his rookie year is reaching.

Old
09-16-2004, 06:27 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
while ending the carrer of Ryan Smyth with a vicious clean body check. :
Your silliness is reaching proportions that this board hasn't seen since Xx In Flames xX got bounced.

Old
09-16-2004, 09:41 AM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Only to have Laraque later beat him into a concussion, ending Phanuef's career. Your whole post is funny in what I just responded too, and the fact that Phanuef doesn't appear to be an offensive defenceman, so 37 pts. in his rookie year is reaching.
He isn't offensive? The guy has a great shot from the blueline and also a .7 PPG average. For a defenseman how isn't that offensive?

Old
09-16-2004, 10:47 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
and the fact that Phanuef doesn't appear to be an offensive defenceman, so 37 pts. in his rookie year is reaching.
The is a bonehead thing to say, look at his numbers, and the style of game he plays. He does it well at both ends of the ice.

Go Flames Go, away.

Old
09-16-2004, 12:16 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
He isn't offensive? The guy has a great shot from the blueline and also a .7 PPG average. For a defenseman how isn't that offensive?
I'm sorry, but I don't see him becoming an offensive dman in the NHL. .7 PPG isn't anything to drool over. IMO Phaneuf will be a Steven's type without the offence.

Old
09-16-2004, 12:22 PM
User571

Send a message via AIM to User571
Quote:
The Flames have just signed Dion Phanuef to a 3 year deal worth the rookie max.
More talent for the AHL- Im starting not to care about the lock out.

Old
09-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't see him becoming an offensive dman in the NHL. .7 PPG isn't anything to drool over. IMO Phaneuf will be a Steven's type without the offence.
Well if you have watched a lot of Phaneuf you'd know he currently possesses a better point shot than anybody on the Flames. He'll be first unit powerplay. He doesn't appear to get as many assists as your classic offensive defensemen but his goal total will probably be quite impressive. Stevens is a 20-30 point player, Phaneuf will definitely surpass that in his prime. So what's "Steven's type without the offense" anyway, a 10-20 pt defensemen?

I'm guessing you haven't seen a lot of Phaneuf and are trying to judge him based on what you've heard and the stats you've read. He certainly is a lot more skilled than a guy like Regehr who is probably a better comparison to Stevens than Phaneuf is. Unless you're talking Stevens when he first broke into the league in which case you DEFINITELY should have clarified that statement.

Old
09-16-2004, 01:54 PM
r_po

He will quarterback the powerplay. He isn't the typical 'offencive defenceman', he's just a great all around player. Going to be one of the best.

I'm glad that the A changed their rules to allow players like Dion in. How do you think he'll do in the minors this year? I think he'll make the transition quite easily, and by the middle of the season be on the top pairing in Lowell.

Last edited by r_po: 09-16-2004 at 01:58 PM.
Old
09-16-2004, 03:44 PM
MaLockFan

Lowell Eligible?

Now that he has signed is it a done deal he will be sent to Lowell or could he still be returned to juniors?

Old
09-16-2004, 04:11 PM
Super-Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLockFan
Now that he has signed is it a done deal he will be sent to Lowell or could he still be returned to juniors?
He's too young to goto Lowell, so he'll end up in Red Deer for 1 last season.

Old
09-16-2004, 04:30 PM
chriss_co

At first I thought that it would be smarter not to sign Phaneuf under the old CBA and to wait for the new CBA for a better 'deal'

But then I realized (as many other GM's did) that regardless of being locked out, Phaneuf has the chance of re-entering the draft if he is not signed by this summer. Also, no contract negotiations can occur during a lockout. So the GM's had to decide whether or not they thought the lockout would last half a year or longer.

In Sutter's case, he sees the lockout lasting too long for his liking and decided to keep Phaneuf (albeit at a much higher cost).

Old
09-16-2004, 06:23 PM
BIG M

Great News!

You have to admit that Sutter is a smart man. I was very pleased that he signed Dion Phaneuf - he will be a great player someday and win the Norris.

Old
09-17-2004, 11:11 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_po
I'm glad that the A changed their rules to allow players like Dion in. How do you think he'll do in the minors this year? I think he'll make the transition quite easily, and by the middle of the season be on the top pairing in Lowell.
He's too young to play in the minors.

He'll be playing in Red Deer again.

Old
09-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Babachka

No hes not to young to play in the ahl! Whether he goes there or not is up in the air, but he can be sent to the ahl.

Old
09-17-2004, 04:07 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babachka
No hes not to young to play in the ahl! Whether he goes there or not is up in the air, but he can be sent to the ahl.
Incorrect. I dare you to prove me wrong. If you're thinking Staal is example of why Phaneuf can go down, he's not a valid one because he's an '84 birthdate and Phaneuf is an '85. '84's and older are eligible to go to the AHL this year. '85's and younger are still too young.

Phaneuf cannot go the AHL. And it's not up in the air, he's been in Red Deer for a while now and will play there this season.

Old
09-17-2004, 04:09 PM
Super-Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babachka
No he can't, players have to be 20 by sometime near the end of the year to be able to play in the AHL this season. Phaneuf doesn't turn 20 till the 10th of April, therefore, is not eligable to play in the AHL this season, and will spend 1 more season with Red Deer in the WHL.

Old
09-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Babachka

No I wasnt thinking of Staal at all, it was actually another player, but he turned 20 in Jan.... so as of now I stand corrected. BUT I know there have been players younger in the A, I just dont remember how they were... this whole situation came up last season and there were answers, but I dont remember them Also I thought once a pro contract was signed he wasnt able to return to the Jr team. If he accepted any signing bonus' at all he wouldnt be able to return.... ? I am so confused, cuz last season the penguins had their goalie for a certain amount of time before they had to return him before it was too late...... anyone able to explain any of this stuff?

Is it just the euro players that are allowed to enter the A at a younger age? Because the player I mentioned above was set to enter the A at 18, but was injured and returned to russia for the season.....

Old
09-17-2004, 07:58 PM
saillias

vCash: 50
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/hearsay.jsp

"NHL agrees to deal ... with CHL
September 17 @ 2:15 PM
Compromise can be achieved in hockey. Sportsnet has learned the CHL is expected to allow junior eligible players Brent Burns, Patrice Bergeron and Nathan Horton to play with their NHL American Hockey League affiliates. The compromise being discussed is assurance these three prominent players will be free to represent Canada at the World Junior Hockey championships. Failing a change of heart, it is believed the CHL and NHL will announce their decision early next week."

Could this mean Phaneuf could play in the AHL as well?

Old
09-18-2004, 02:14 PM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias
Let's hope that's the case. Playing with, and against, higher caliber talent would certain keep with his development moving in the right direction.

Old
09-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
The thing with that is, though, that Bergeron, Horton and Burns all spent the season with their NHL clubs last season.

Old
09-19-2004, 02:39 PM
chriss_co

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/hearsay.jsp

"NHL agrees to deal ... with CHL
September 17 @ 2:15 PM
Compromise can be achieved in hockey. Sportsnet has learned the CHL is expected to allow junior eligible players Brent Burns, Patrice Bergeron and Nathan Horton to play with their NHL American Hockey League affiliates. The compromise being discussed is assurance these three prominent players will be free to represent Canada at the World Junior Hockey championships. Failing a change of heart, it is believed the CHL and NHL will announce their decision early next week."
Thats a good decision.. too many kids are losing playing spots and playing time due to the lockout..

I think the effect is felt even stronger in Europe tho..

Old
09-20-2004, 06:59 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
Well if you have watched a lot of Phaneuf you'd know he currently possesses a better point shot than anybody on the Flames. He'll be first unit powerplay. He doesn't appear to get as many assists as your classic offensive defensemen but his goal total will probably be quite impressive. Stevens is a 20-30 point player, Phaneuf will definitely surpass that in his prime. So what's "Steven's type without the offense" anyway, a 10-20 pt defensemen?
Stevens use to pot 60 and 70 points with regularity (peak 78). A Stevens without the offense, is about what Stevens has been over the later part of his career. That is still pretty damn good and if Phanuef turns out that good Flames should be very happy.

The Flames D is deep enough he'll probably be 3rd pairing with little quality time. I can't see him getting 37 as rookie D. That's a huge ask for any rookie D even the overly offensively no-defense types on teams with a weak D.

Closed Thread