HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Plekanec <-> Carter

Old
02-03-2012, 01:45 PM

vCash: 500
Plekanec <-> Carter

Tomas Plekanec AGE: 29 CONTRACT: $5,0M for 4 more years
2011-12: 51 GP 10-24-34
CAREER: 521 GP 135-210-345

A smallish two-way center with tons of speed that always shows up. Can produce around 60-65 points per year and plays very well on the penalty kill. Dissapears when the going gets tough.

Jeff Carter AGE: 27 CONTRACT: $5,3M for 10 more years
2011-12: 30 GP 10-7-17
CAREER: 491 GP 191-169-360

A tall center that doesn't quite often enough use his size and strenght to his advantage. Has soft hands and likes to pull finesse moves to separate himself from defenders in order to use his deceiving wrist shot. Can be lazy at times. Has the potential to be a 80-point pivot.

What would need to be added (from either side) and would the Blue Jackets or Canadiens do this trade?

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Tomas Plekanec AGE: 29 CONTRACT: $5,0M for 4 more years
2011-12: 51 GP 10-24-34
CAREER: 521 GP 135-210-345

A smallish two-way center with tons of speed that always shows up. Can produce around 60-65 points per year and plays very well on the penalty kill. Dissapears when the going gets tough.

Jeff Carter AGE: 27 CONTRACT: $5,3M for 10 more years
2011-12: 30 GP 10-7-17
CAREER: 491 GP 191-169-360

A tall center that doesn't quite often enough use his size and strenght to his advantage. Has soft hands and likes to pull finesse moves to separate himself from defenders in order to use his deceiving wrist shot. Can be lazy at times. Has the potential to be a 80-point pivot.

What would need to be added (from either side) and would the Blue Jackets or Canadiens do this trade?
I think the Jackets would rather younger guys, but if something significant was added I could see them pulling the trigger.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
I think the Jackets would rather younger guys, but if something significant was added I could see them pulling the trigger.
Significant like what? The Habs would probably be willing to add a guy like Diaz or Weber or Palushaj or a 2nd round pick but I doubt they would add a Leblanc or Tinordi or 1st round pick.

Old
02-03-2012, 01:59 PM
canadianeh

Columbus fans will ask for something along the lines of Price, Pacioretty, Subban or Eller. Which will never happen. They will not be getting the equivalent of what they paid for him. (2 high 1sts)

Habs fans will try to sell it as almost even or some lower level prospect like Enqvist or Kristo.

I am a Habs fan but I'm going to try to be realistic.

1- It's clear that Carter is VERY unhappy and wants out. Columbus doesnt' have much choice but to move him or have him be a major problem.

2- The question would be how much "demand" will there be for Carter. I think it will be ok, but not even close to what it was a year ago.

I think Plekanec is a good starting piece. He's a two-way C and while not as offensively gifted as Carter, he will kill a ton of penalties and could do very well setting up Nash.

To Columbus:
Tomas Plekanec
Yannick Weber
2nd round pick

To Montreal:
Jeff Carter
4th round pick/Petr Straka

canadianeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 02:01 PM
subbang76
I CAN SPEAK FRENCH!

I'd do

Plekanec
Diaz
Kristo

for

Carter
2nd round 2012

Considering Carter has a hefty contract, this seems like a fair deal. Columbus gets a consistent 2 way centre who can pot 60-70 pts a season plus kills penalties, a young defenseman, and a decent prospect. Montreal gets bigger receiving a first line centre.

subbang76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Meh, I'd pass from Montreal's POV if they have to add anything else significant (i.e. top prospect or high pick). I still believe in Carter, but his contract is pretty terrifying and Montreal is left without Plekanec's defensive acumen.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 02:05 PM

I do think the fact that they paid so much to get Carter just a couple months ago will prevent them from making this trade. Think about it this way: if Carter rebounds (which he certainly will) and you add Yakupov, and you already have Nash and R.Johansen, that's an amazing offense right there.

They have some solid players to compliment them, what they need is better management and better coaches to developp the players.

I think Columbus would be foolish to sell Carter for a low return, but I think something like Plekanec + Diaz would at least get them to think about it.

Johansen-Plekanec-Brassard is a solid lineup of centers although relatively small and soft. Nash-Yakupov are solid wingers but they need some more...

Old
02-03-2012, 02:10 PM
wahsnairb

the jackets use any of carter, brassard, or vermette to upgrade at defense because as stated: the offense should be pretty good next season if johansen progresses as expected and the jackets bring in a player like yakupov

the defense is a sick joke

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbang76 View Post
I'd do

Plekanec
Diaz
Kristo

for

Carter
2nd round 2012

Considering Carter has a hefty contract, this seems like a fair deal. Columbus gets a consistent 2 way centre who can pot 60-70 pts a season plus kills penalties, a young defenseman, and a decent prospect. Montreal gets bigger receiving a first line centre.
Their 2012 2nd rounder is worth more than any of Kristo or Diaz (individually, not both). So I don't think it would make much sense for them. Having said that, I'm a Diaz fan and believe he will have a strong if unspectacular NHL career, and I really want to see how Kristo fares in the AHL next year.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Sasso09

Montreal has to add for sure. Not sure how much but columbus isn't trading Voracek for plekanec straight up let alone Voracek and the 8th overall pick

Sasso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Heimerdinger

Am I the only one who thinks Plekanec is a better overall player than Carter?

Might be my bias... Both are underachieving this season tho.

Heimerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 02:21 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Eller View Post

Same here, but the value is for sure there, its just that Plek game is his own zone is so good. But I'd love to have Carter-Plek-DD/Eller down the middle.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Sasso09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Eller View Post

Plekanec better overall? Yes you'd be alone with a few HABS fans.

Sasso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 02:25 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
Well to be honest, their career numbers are not that off, and Carter is already 27, Plek is 29, so its not like he is a lot young.

But I'm not saying Plek is better, but for MTL its a bit of a side-way move, I think ideal I'd love to have a Carter-Plek 1-2 duo in MTL.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 02:27 PM
yanokovich

Plakanec
Weber
Palushaj
2 round 2013 (calgary)
for

Carter

yanokovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 02:40 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Habs need to build a team with winners and warriors, not with guys with attitude problems...

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 02:47 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Pleks + Weber + calgarys 2nd in 2013

for Carter

Sure he is probably worth more than that, but I wouldnt gut my team to get Carter.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Beakermania*

Based on the dry island stuff, Carter in Montreal scares the crap out of me.

Nice player, but I'm not sure this is the right market for him.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Already seen this proposal here, but as before I would pass on trading Plekanec for Carter from the Habs' POV. Plekanec is a good fit. The defensive contributions and leadership he provides are valuable enough to me to offset the offensive advantage Carter would have. And I wouldn't want to take a chance on Carter's contract atm.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Halifaxhab*

Demand for Carter will mean very little in the return on a trade as he has a NTC and can decide where he wants to play. If (very BIIIIGGGG IF) he choses Montreal Plekanec + a late pick/mid level prospect would likely be the most MTL would offer for him based on his massive contract

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:10 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

There's no way I would want to see the Habs do this.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Already seen this proposal here, but as before I would pass on trading Plekanec for Carter from the Habs' POV. Plekanec is a good fit. The defensive contributions and leadership he provides are valuable enough to me to offset the offensive advantage Carter would have. And I wouldn't want to take a chance on Carter's contract atm.
bingo.

10 years is a long time, and montreal can be a tough place to play... Carter doesn't quite strike me as the type of guy who could handle being THE focal point in a market like montreal.

as tempting as the 46goal/84pt "potential" is with Carter, the other end of his "potential" (his play/production with CBJ this year) is equally worrisome.

With Pleks, you know you're getting quality 2-way play consistently, even if his production can waiver anywhere from ~50-70pt/season

at this point, I'd say no thanks even 1 for 1, let alone adding anything.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Flowseidon
Compton

Im a little not sober right now but add something with Subban and Johansson

Flowseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowseidon View Post
Im a little not sober right now but add something with Subban and Johansson
Which is why I think Carter would be a better fit in LA - good times, less pressure and a better party atmosphere. LA would also probably be willing able to pay more than Montreal ever would.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Montreal has to add for sure. Not sure how much but columbus isn't trading Voracek for plekanec straight up let alone Voracek and the 8th overall pick
If we are getting Voracek and Couturier than I am willing to add A LOT to Plekanec. But we are not dealing with the PHI Flyers right here and what we are getting back is Jeff Carter who has a 10 year contract and is struggling.

Your post has nothing to do with a potential Habs-Columbus trade, sorry but Carter has lost a lot of value in the past couple of months and that is why CBJ needs to think twice before dealing him away right now, it would make little sense.

BUT, Plekanec is a proven commodity in this league, so if Carter REALLY wants out then the Blue Jackets would be smart to call Gauthier for a potential swap.

Quote:
I am not sure if you are familiar with what most hockey fans consider ''overall'' in a hockey player but mostly it is about two-way and physical play. Plekanec isn't physical but he is a phenomal two-way player. Carter is none of the above.

You're also probably not familiar with PK% ranking this year because the Canadiens are 2nd in the league and Plekanec is one of the the main reason for that.

So especially right now with Carter sucking offensively there is very little doubt in my mind that Plekanec is a much better overall player than Carter. Of course if Carter plays to his full potential he is better than Plekanec but that has only happened once in his career whereas Plekanec has been very consistant.