HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames claim Blake Comeau

Old
11-25-2011, 01:16 PM
msv957

vCash: 500
It had to be expected that Comeau would be picked up early in the waiver

I bet Comeau is happy to leave the Islander organization that is a wasteland littered with prospects who do not develop as expected. There is a losing culture around the Islanders than I am not even sure a 20 year old Mario Lemieux would be able to turn it around.

Not that Calgary is a whole lot better than the Isles organization but Comeau is a western Canadian who may fit in on a Canadian team.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 01:21 PM
molsonmuscle360

I'm not really sure what to think about this...I'm really glad that Blake got picked up, but I really hate the Flames.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 01:22 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=603148

While Blake Comeau officially hails from Meadow Lake, SK, when he was told he had been claimed by the Calgary Flames, he felt like he was heading home.

"My mom and dad live there. My wife has family from there and she's from out west. And my sister's in Edmonton so actually all my family is really close," he told CalgaryFlames.com "I have been out on the east coast for so long that it's going to be a great feeling to come back and be able to play close to my family."

"Having had Brent coach me before, I know the expectations he has and obviously he wants his players to work hard and be competitive. That's something I feel like I have in my game and that I will be able to bring to the team."

"I think I still have a lot to offer. I'm only 25 years old and I feel like I'm still developing and growing as a player. Sometimes I guess a change of scenery just sparks something. Sometimes things just don't pan out the way you plan or the way maybe it did the year before but I'm letting the past be the past. I'm excited to move forward with Calgary."

"I'm really excited. It's great to know that a team wants you to be there," he said "I definitely want to come and make an impact right away."

Last edited by JawandaPuck: 11-25-2011 at 01:28 PM.
JawandaPuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 01:29 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post

"Having had Brent coach me before, I know the expectations he has and obviously he wants his players to work hard and be competitive. That's something I feel like I have in my game and that I will be able to bring to the team."
I really do hope that Brent Sutter can re-ignite that fire under Comeau. That comment above by Blake summed up EXACTLY why the Islanders didn't want him any more. He exhibited no passion at all this year and for long stretches during his entire career. I hope he really means it and it's not just lip service.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Puckgenius*

Flames have i credible depth on wing now, they could ice 5 nhl lines, though a lot are spare parts.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 01:36 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
It had to be expected that Comeau would be picked up early in the waiver

I bet Comeau is happy to leave the Islander organization that is a wasteland littered with prospects who do not develop as expected. There is a losing culture around the Islanders than I am not even sure a 20 year old Mario Lemieux would be able to turn it around.

Not that Calgary is a whole lot better than the Isles organization but Comeau is a western Canadian who may fit in on a Canadian team.
Ouch, as an Isles fan, that was pretty harsh and a little uncalled for.

Things have definitely not been rosy on the Island for quite some time, but no need to kick us while we are down.

At the rate things are going, I think Nail Yakupov or Mikhail Grigorenko better be franchise changers or it's going to be yet another long year next year.

Again, I wish Blake Comeau and the Flames the best in this. He never developed the way we wanted here, but hopefully he can turn things around.

Old
11-25-2011, 01:40 PM
oilerbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Many players score 24 goals in a season and then go on to do jack the rest of their career. I'm betting Comeau is in that mold after watching him all season. He was being out played by Bailey Rolston Pandolfo AND Reasoner. That should tell you something.
Career: 11.6 shooting %. 0% this year he will trend back to his average. 1.5 shots/gm and 60 games left he will get 10 - 13 goals this year.

oilerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 01:42 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I really do hope that Brent Sutter can re-ignite that fire under Comeau. That comment above by Blake summed up EXACTLY why the Islanders didn't want him any more. He exhibited no passion at all this year and for long stretches during his entire career. I hope he really means it and it's not just lip service.
I have a feeling something was said between the Isles and Blake during arbitration. It just seems since then he has totally checked out as an Islander. Some players have to feel needed by their team, and if they don't think they are in the long term plans they don't want to be there.

Old
11-25-2011, 01:44 PM
BurnEmUp

1. Tanguay - Backlund - Iginla
2. Glencross - Jokinen - Bourque
3. Comeau - Horak - Stempniak
4. Kostopo - Morrison - Jackman

Scratched - Stajan, Leblond
Injured - Moss

Plus Byron is now back with the Heat waiting for a roster spot to open up.

There is going to be a Flames trade soon, there has to be.

BurnEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 01:50 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post

While Blake Comeau officially hails from Meadow Lake, SK, when he was told he had been claimed by the Calgary Flames, he felt like he was heading home.

"My mom and dad live there. My wife has family from there and she's from out west. And my sister's in Edmonton so actually all my family is really close," he told CalgaryFlames.com "I have been out on the east coast for so long that it's going to be a great feeling to come back and be able to play close to my family."

"I think I still have a lot to offer. I'm only 25 years old and I feel like I'm still developing and growing as a player. Sometimes I guess a change of scenery just sparks something. Sometimes things just don't pan out the way you plan or the way maybe it did the year before but I'm letting the past be the past. I'm excited to move forward with Calgary."

"I'm really excited. It's great to know that a team wants you to be there," he said "I definitely want to come and make an impact right away."
I think the faith Sutter had in Comeau during the WJC may actually help the situation here as well. I've been watching Comeau play since he was 12 or 13 and he probably played the best hockey of his life during that tournament

Old
11-25-2011, 01:51 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
No surprise that CGY wanted him, but a little surprised that both CBJ and ANA passed
I think Columbus doesn't have enough cap space. They have $800,000 available and according to cap geek, his cap hit is $2.5 million.

After this, Calgary has $200,000 left.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 01:54 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I have a feeling something was said between the Isles and Blake during arbitration. It just seems since then he has totally checked out as an Islander. Some players have to feel needed by their team, and if they don't think they are in the long term plans they don't want to be there.
I agree with you, but didn't he sign before the arbitration? He did have a pretty good year, 24 goals is solid. The fact that he's sitting there all summer and watching Okposo, Grabner, Moulson, and Tavares all get long term contracts - he may have been thinking, 'where's mine?'

His lack of passion could also be construed as sulking. It was clear that there had to be some sort of wedge in the relationship though. In his last game, some Isles fans noticed that when his line would go for a change, he would stay on for about half a shift so he could get some time with Tavares or Neilsen. He did it a couple of times and he could have easily made the change each time, but didn't. That's kind of interesting.

Anyway, it doesn't matter anymore. Blake Comeau is now a Calgary Flame. If Sutter can't get him going, then I don't know who can.

Old
11-25-2011, 01:55 PM
Puckgenius*

Ship out stajan and boruque together. I still cant believe stajan is still a flame, he is by far the first guy who needs to go. Hes getting paid 3.5 this year to be a healty scratch what a joke.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 01:59 PM
BurnEmUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
I think Columbus doesn't have enough cap space. They have $800,000 available and according to cap geek, his cap hit is $2.5 million.

I don't think this is right.

Looks to me like CGY has $1,377,408 left after claiming Comeau and sending Byron down.

BurnEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Feel The Heat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Ship out stajan and boruque together. I still cant believe stajan is still a flame, he is by far the first guy who needs to go. Hes getting paid 3.5 this year to be a healty scratch what a joke.
Yes because Feasters phone is ringing off the hook with offers for Stajan.

Feel The Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Sam67

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I'm not really sure what to think about this...I'm really glad that Blake got picked up, but I really hate the Flames.
Then why are you commenting or giving once second of time to a Flames thread!?

Sam67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 02:01 PM
CorsiCounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post

They have only $200,000 left if they become exempt from the roster limit rules. Not that cap space is even an issue for the Flames. They're the ones that are going to be doing the selling at the deadline.

CorsiCounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 02:05 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Comeau = overpaid. Hes a borderline 20 goal, 40pt guy. But hes a UFA this summer?
RFA according to cap geek.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 02:05 PM
CorsiCounter

Quote:
If they do that they would get no return on Bourque. They should just accept that Stajan is a loss and they are not going to be competitive next year. The only issue is with whether the owners are fine with wasting money on him.

CorsiCounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 02:08 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
I don't think this year. I would be surprised if they started selling off their top players.
All depends on their playoff position. If they're clearly out of it (and they're close to being out already) by January, then you can be pretty sure the selloff will begin. It makes no sense for them to hold onto a bunch of older players for next year.

The NMC/NTCs could cause some issues, but if the players are going to contenders they're not likely to complain too much.

Short-term I could see them moving Bourque.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 02:11 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam67 View Post
Then why are you commenting or giving once second of time to a Flames thread!?
Blake was my neighbor for 5 years when I was in high school and I graduated with his sister. And I always found him to be a very nice kid and I've always cheered for him and followed his career.

Old
11-25-2011, 02:25 PM
TBLHoser

Hope he picks it back up again, but as a career minus player (even in the AHL) it's still an iffy decision although it was the Islanders....

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Kagee*

Going to be a steal of deal I bet, within time for him to get acclimated to the flames.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Sharksfan83

vCash: 50
How long after claiming someone can you trade them? Wise pickup because if he hits his stride in calgary, he will be worth something by the deadline.

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

Quote:
Flames have i credible depth on wing now, they could ice 5 nhl lines, though a lot are spare parts.
They could? The way they're playing, doesn't look like they're icing more than 1 NHL line.

Seth Rollins is online now   Reply With Quote