HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Charlotte Checkers Update

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2004, 09:37 PM
bmoak

vCash: 500
Charlotte Checkers Update

Well, the Wolfpack don't have any roster information up, so I deicded to check out the Checkers. Here is what I found:

The Charlotte Chckers have signed 13 players so far. A couple of high-scoring vets and a couple of rookies. The only notable signings IMHO are Mike Harder and Mike Ayers.

Harder, a member of the Calder Cup Champion Wolfpack team, has been playing in Europe the past 3 years. He was a point-a-game player in the AHL, so he should be dominating at the ECHL level.

Ayers was Hockey East Player of the Year his junior season at New Hampshire, where he was a teamate of Nathan Martz. IMHO he's an upgrade in Checkers' goaltending, which hurt the Rangers last year after Osaer got hurt.

No mention of ECHL/AHL time-splitters Jeff State, Brandon Cullen, and Ryan Cuthbert, though I suspect those guys are property of the Wolfpack, not the Checkers.

The Checkers will also have new uniforms. The logo will be the same, but the jersey will lose the black/white checkerboard pattern.

C Mike Harder (DEL Frankfurt) Calder Cup winner with Pack
C Allan Egeland (returning) Player/Assistant Coach
LW Dusty Jameison (returning) Played 6 games with Pack.
W Eduard Pershin (ECHL Wheeling) Former Checker
W Matt Chandler (ECHL Greensboro)
RW Justin Dziama (Boston College)
RW Cody Loughlean (Providence College)
DTyler Lawson (UHL Quad City) Huge goon
D Dan Preston (returning)
D Clay Plume (WHL Prince George)
D Brett Peterson (Boston College)
D Kenton Smith (ECHL Columbus) Former Checker
G Mike Ayers (UNH) 2002-03 Hockey East Player of the Year

Old
09-15-2004, 09:44 PM
NYR469

most of those guys will get bumped from the lineup when the pack start sending guys down after they hold their training camp...look for as many 10-15 guys to be sent down...

and once blackburn returns both osaer and valiquette could be sent do charlotte...so their goaltending will be solid

Old
09-15-2004, 09:51 PM
NYRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
most of those guys will get bumped from the lineup when the pack start sending guys down after they hold their training camp...look for as many 10-15 guys to be sent down...

and once blackburn returns both osaer and valiquette could be sent do charlotte...so their goaltending will be solid
um The Rangers are only allowed to send 5 guys to Charlotte. They dont even own the team.

Old
09-15-2004, 09:54 PM
NYR469

Quote:
RANGERS, WOLF PACK, CHECKERS SIGN AFFILIATION CONTRACT

CHARLOTTE, NC The Charlotte Checkers hockey club announced today that it has extended its affiliation agreement with the New York Rangers of the National Hockey League and their AHL affiliate, the Hartford Wolf Pack.

Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather, Hartford Wolf Pack General Manager Jim Schoenfeld, Checkers President Jeff Longo, and Checkers Head Coach Derek Wilkinson, agreed upon the extension which will see Charlotte icing top quality prospects who will develop their game in the Queen City.
RANGERS, WOLF PACK, CHECKERS SIGN AFFILIATION CONTRACT

Old
09-15-2004, 09:56 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers
um The Rangers are only allowed to send 5 guys to Charlotte. They dont even own the team.
the rangers just signed a new affliation deal with the checkers and i think it is a pretty safe bet that they took the lockout into consideration and as part of the new deal they are allowed to send more players then usual this year...it would be absolutely stupidity if they didn't...

and the fact that charlotte only has 12 players on their roster tells me that they are expecting 1/2 the roster to come from the pack...the checkers will basically have an AHL club this year.

Old
09-15-2004, 09:59 PM
vbox81

What of Rory Rawlyk?

Also, check out the FAQs for player assignments:

4 veterans per team which are players with 288 regular season games. Players with AHL/NHL contracts and ECHL assignment provisions are exempt. Players on NHL/AHL contracts are veterans if they are over 24 AND have played 288 games by the beginning of this season.

Just droppin knowledge baby

Last edited by vbox81: 09-15-2004 at 10:14 PM.
Old
09-15-2004, 10:19 PM
NYR469

rawlyk is with the pack...he'll most likely get sent to the checkers after hartford training camp

Old
09-15-2004, 11:11 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
rawlyk is with the pack...he'll most likely get sent to the checkers after hartford training camp
Nah he played well in Charlotte this past season. I think maybe he can play for the Wolfpack this year. He played a few games and scored a goal. And he has size. I can see him as a Joel Bouchard type.

Old
09-15-2004, 11:33 PM
bmoak

Quote:
the rangers just signed a new affliation deal with the checkers and i think it is a pretty safe bet that they took the lockout into consideration and as part of the new deal they are allowed to send more players then usual this year...it would be absolutely stupidity if they didn't...

and the fact that charlotte only has 12 players on their roster tells me that they are expecting 1/2 the roster to come from the pack...the checkers will basically have an AHL club this year.
I 'm not too sure about that. ECHL teams don't tend to load up on players and don't seem to rush to sign a bunch of guys early. The active roster is limited to 20 players, so I doubt they will be taking 10-15 guys from the Wolfpack. For example, the Victoria Salmon Kings, a new ECHL franchise with no affiliation, also only has 12 players currently on its roster. The Bakersfield Condors, another independent team, has 13.

I wonder if the Rangers/Wolfpack recommended any players to the Checkers to sign. The Checkers office is certainly familiar with ECHL verterans, but the Rangers office would cerntainly be familiar with Harder and Ayers.

Old
09-16-2004, 08:33 AM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Nah he played well in Charlotte this past season. I think maybe he can play for the Wolfpack this year. He played a few games and scored a goal. And he has size. I can see him as a Joel Bouchard type.
under normal circumstances but during the lockout there is no room...

during the lockout the pack will have tyutin, pock, kondratiev, lampman, liffiton, taylor, filipowicz, kinch, nycholat, weller, grenier, macmillan, and state ahead of rawylk on the depth charts...

as arguably the 12/13th guy on the depth charts his chances of playing without atleast 1/2 of the blueliners being hurt at the same time are basically zero

thats the one negative side effect of our new found depth and sending guys back down to hartford...for every guy that goes back to hartford from ny during the lockout, that means atleast 1 guy that deserves a spot will get bumped out of the lineup...

Old
09-16-2004, 09:29 AM
Fish

Is State even still in the system...seems like he might not be signed...

Old
09-16-2004, 11:28 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
under normal circumstances but during the lockout there is no room...

during the lockout the pack will have tyutin, pock, kondratiev, lampman, liffiton, taylor, filipowicz, kinch, nycholat, weller, grenier, macmillan, and state ahead of rawylk on the depth charts...

as arguably the 12/13th guy on the depth charts his chances of playing without atleast 1/2 of the blueliners being hurt at the same time are basically zero

thats the one negative side effect of our new found depth and sending guys back down to hartford...for every guy that goes back to hartford from ny during the lockout, that means atleast 1 guy that deserves a spot will get bumped out of the lineup...

Kinch has not been resigned yet and Filipowicz is not Rangers property so maybe their will be room for Rawlyk.

Old
09-16-2004, 11:44 AM
L.I.RangerFan

Kinch signed with an Austrian team on 8/9

Old
09-16-2004, 11:56 AM
Fish

Quote:
Kinch has not been resigned yet and Filipowicz is not Rangers property so maybe their will be room for Rawlyk.
Filipowicz is signed to a Wolf Pack contract though...so I wouldn't be surprised to see him get time.

Old
09-16-2004, 12:31 PM
bmoak

Quote:
Kinch is gone. Filipowicz is Hartford property, but I don't know if he's signed for next year. Jeff State WAS on the "In the System" list, but he's not listed now. Don't know if that means anything. Trying to find infor about Wolfpack signees is difficult. Jason Marshall is eligible to play in Hartford, too.

Rawlyk is still ninth or tenth on the depth chart at best.

Old
09-16-2004, 12:42 PM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak
Kinch is gone. Filipowicz is Hartford property, but I don't know if he's signed for next year. Jeff State WAS on the "In the System" list, but he's not listed now. Don't know if that means anything. Trying to find infor about Wolfpack signees is difficult. Jason Marshall is eligible to play in Hartford, too.

Rawlyk is still ninth or tenth on the depth chart at best.

Check out this site

http://hartfordwolfpackhockey.com/Roster/roster.htm

Not too sure on how accurate they are, but I don't see too many glaring errors

Old
09-18-2004, 12:01 AM
bmoak

Thanks for that link.. Seems like everyone I mentioned above except Jeff State is under contract.

Osaer has signed with Florida, so the Checkers would need a goalie.

Old
09-22-2004, 09:11 PM
bmoak

And the Checkers got their goalie. Their 14th (and probably last) signing is goalie Alex Westlund. Westlund has spent the past two seasons starting for Khavabrosk Amur in the RSL (where he was teammates with former Rangers' draft picks Mike Martin and Jamie Ram).

The Checkers finally get some quality goaltending. However, unless they drop some guys it looks there'll only be room for 6 players from Hartford.

Old
09-23-2004, 11:04 AM
bmoak

The Checkers just announced two more signings, bringing their roster up to 16.

Ryan Glenn, a defenseman from St. Lawrence U. He was already at the Pack camp.

Ryan Lang, a small center from U of Alaska-Fairbanks.

Closed Thread