HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gionta

Old
11-19-2011, 12:11 AM
Firestar27

vCash: 500
Gionta

My goal is not to troll, I just wished to point something out.

In the last three years everyone is bashing Gomez, and with reason, not blaming them..

But why is Gionta never talked about, I mean sure the guy can skate and works hard... But heck, he had a 46 pts season last year in 82 games, which ain't a lot better than what Gomez did.. Almost everytime he passes the blue line, he takes a useless slapshot. He can't aim, always shooting seemingly anywhere as long as it's toward the net... Sure he'll score 20+ goals, but when it comes to him, some persons seems to think assists are not important, as long as he scores... I prefered Koivu's 17 goals and 40 assists a lot more than Gionta's 29 goals but only 15 assists...

To me Gionta is a less skilled but harder working version of Ryder, he'll put up more than 20 goals, but less than 20 assists. Still, I hate his playing style, and while Gomez, Cammy, Pleks are always undersiege when they are in a slump, it seems Gionta is always safe from the bashing... And I'm trying to understand why...

Again, my goal is not to troll or something, I know many fans love Gionta and I respect their opinions, only pointing my own observation of a player with a playing style I personally don't like much...

Firestar27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:14 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Gionta isn't really someone i'm dying to hold onto. He's a good player, plays an honest game and works his ass off. I can live with his contract and all that, but I would not complain if we traded him for an upgrade. However, I use upgrade in the context that the person in question would be consistently better going forward. Gionta may be a 50 point player but he gives you that. We know what to expect from him and he delivers.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestar27 View Post
My goal is not to troll, I just wished to point something out.

In the last three years everyone is bashing Gomez, and with reason, not blaming them..

But why is Gionta never talked about, I mean sure the guy can skate and works hard... But heck, he had a 46 pts season last year in 82 games, which ain't a lot better than what Gomez did.. Almost everytime he passes the blue line, he takes a useless slapshot. He can't aim, always shooting seemingly anywhere as long as it's toward the net... Sure he'll score 20+ goals, but when it comes to him, some persons seems to think assists are not important, as long as he scores... I prefered Koivu's 17 goals and 40 assists a lot more than Gionta's 29 goals but only 15 assists...

To me Gionta is a less skilled but harder working version of Ryder, he'll put up more than 20 goals, but less than 20 assists. Still, I hate his playing style, and while Gomez, Cammy, Pleks are always undersiege when they are in a slump, it seems Gionta is always safe from the bashing... And I'm trying to understand why...

Again, my goal is not to troll or something, I know many fans love Gionta and I respect their opinions, only pointing my own observation of a player with a playing style I personally don't like much...
Part of Gionta's problem is/was playing on a line with Gomez. Kostitsyn had the same problem and Pacioretty has broken out now that his umbilical cord to Gomez is severed.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:18 AM
Firestar27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Part of Gionta's problem is/was playing on a line with Gomez. Kostitsyn had the same problem and Pacioretty has broken out now that his umbilical cord to Gomez is severed.
I'll admit I have to agree with that, for too long Gionta was stuck with Gomez...

But still I'm seeing the same things I hate about Gio since he's with Pleks. For example, he made that great perfect pass to Moen a few games ago in the slot... Why can't he make more of those instead of always going for the shot ?

Firestar27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 12:55 AM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestar27 View Post
I'll admit I have to agree with that, for too long Gionta was stuck with Gomez...

But still I'm seeing the same things I hate about Gio since he's with Pleks. For example, he made that great perfect pass to Moen a few games ago in the slot... Why can't he make more of those instead of always going for the shot ?
He has no vision.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:23 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

20 points in 26 playoffs games as a Habs ..

I agree trade him for Garth Murray .

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:37 AM
la25ecoupe

we complaint when our playings dont shoot, now we have a guy that always shoot and we not happy

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 01:55 AM
Et le But

With the emergence of Pacioretty, I'm not sure Gionta has much longer on this team. I think I'd rather Kostitsyn be back next year than Gionta.

But he was probably our most consistent goalscorer for the past two seasons. If anything he's been a lot more valuable during the regular season than Cammalleri, on both ends of the ice. He has his limits but he works very hard and had gotten close to 30 goals for the past two years.

But he has been weak this year. A couple of clutch moments but they have been overshadowed by tons of boneheaded, wasteful play. He should still get goals this year though.

Also like Gomez, I don't think anyone can explain what happened in 05-06.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 02:03 AM
FuriousBob

He as been our best goal scorer for the last two season... one where he had 29 goals (tied for 30th) and the other one where he had 28 (tied for 31) but was injured 21 game (on pace for 38 goal, good for the 9th rank in the NHL that year)

So yeah, he may not be the best out there, but he gets it done. Since he is captain, we can assume he is a good guy to have in the room too.

FuriousBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 02:03 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
With the emergence of Pacioretty, I'm not sure Gionta has much longer on this team. I think I'd rather Kostitsyn be back next year than Gionta.

But he was probably our most consistent goalscorer for the past two seasons. If anything he's been a lot more valuable during the regular season than Cammalleri, on both ends of the ice. He has his limits but he works very hard and had gotten close to 30 goals for the past two years.

But he has been weak this year. A couple of clutch moments but they have been overshadowed by tons of boneheaded, wasteful play. He should still get goals this year though.

Andrei, he got the chance to get out of Martinville jail.
Breaking free, i'd lay odds his foot is out the door,escape route planned.

Gio not going no where but Montreal ... imho

Pacioretty will score 100 pts in a season while in Mtl.

Last edited by Habaneros: 11-19-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 02:08 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I can with one word.

Elias.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 04:25 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousBob View Post
He as been our best goal scorer for the last two season... one where he had 29 goals (tied for 30th) and the other one where he had 28 (tied for 31) but was injured 21 game (on pace for 38 goal, good for the 9th rank in the NHL that year)

So yeah, he may not be the best out there, but he gets it done. Since he is captain, we can assume he is a good guy to have in the room too.
I love Gio. Best hands on the team, and usually clutch in PO. He does what so few Habs players do. Look at his rob the D blind wraparound in 1 second goal against the Yotes. NO one does that on the Habs except him. Love the Guy. A real player, and nose for the net.

And he's been hurt all year BTW, and never complains.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 05:07 AM
habsjunkie2*

Was never a fan of his signing, giving the makeup of our roster, he was more of the same imo. Four little guys in the top 6 was hard to overcome. The contract was and is a little steep for me, has the potential to get worse over the next couple of seasons.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 06:41 AM
vanderglenn

Gionta has had a relatively slow start to the year but I think he has dodged the bashing due to him being the most consistent goal scorer over the last 2 seasons. On a team where 5 on 5 offensive production has sputtered in recent years, Gionta is a welcome and integral piece of the puzzle.
I do agree with you that he can seem invisible out there some nights and that his production comes in bunches and then stalls but that production is still important on a somewhat offensively challenged club.

vanderglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 06:49 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
I can with one word.

Elias.
Was injured for more than half the season. They didn't put up all their points in the 38 games Elias did play.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 07:03 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

If the PP was working better a lot of guys would have a few extra points by now.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 07:40 AM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Saying Gionta only scored 46 points isn't telling the whole story. 29 of them were goals. It is frustrating to see sometimes that all he does is shoot the puck from bad angles, but you got to take the bad with the good. He is a leader on this team, defensively responsible, scores around 30 a year, and hustles every game. I think he is worth it.

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 07:51 AM
coolasprICE

I like Gio -- but I'm not sure why he's captain.

Sure, he's a leader by example, but so too is any hard working Vet who doesn't talk much.

Something is missing...

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 07:53 AM
shutehinside

He was our top goal scorer DESPITE playing with Gomez as his centre. It's a miracle in and of itself that he still lead the team in scoring, period. I mean whose goals was he going to assist on? Gomez's 7 or Moen's 6 goals?

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 08:04 AM
dutchy29

Gionta is a rock, a leader, and you can throw garbage on his line and he will still produce.
Goal scoring is harder to find than playmaking IMO, to be able to score 30 a year in this league is quite valuble. After Gionta and Patches who else will score 30?

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 08:06 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Two things here to point out. Back in January of this year you wrote a post stating how much you hate Gionta. So this thread wreaks Troll all over it.
Second i believe you are a Sens fan, so why the obsession with Gionta ? Does your wife think he's hot ? Because i am very curious on this one.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 08:20 AM
Coldplay
Courage

This thread wouldn't exist in January. I hope Gionta retires as a Hab, preferably with a ring or two (or three).

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 08:52 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Gionta has been our best scorer over the last 2 years and you're complaining about assists? There are enough guys who can pass the puck on this team. We need more Giontas. Guys who shoot the puck and can score. Don't forget he played an entire season with Gomez who's a black hole.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 08:58 AM
TheBourkeIdentity

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I like Gio -- but I'm not sure why he's captain.

Sure, he's a leader by example, but so too is any hard working Vet who doesn't talk much.

Something is missing...
To be fair, we don't know what goes on in the room or how he leads during practice. So there may be more to his captaincy than meets the eye.

I'm pretty happy having Gionta on the team, do I wish he'd get into better position instead of shooting from the perimeter so often? sure. But overall he's a net asset.

That said, I wouldn't be heartbroken if he was moved for an upgrade either.

TheBourkeIdentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2011, 09:12 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

He's been off this season, but he's not really overpaid simply because of his 2-way play and tenacity.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote